TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wayne Dyer

SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is his face stuck in that pose?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that's what happens when you reach spiritual enlightenment.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wayne Dyer's type: he's an idiot.

My sister recommended that I read "Pulling your own strings". I think this is a typical example of the average self-help book: it tells you about situation A, which bad behaviors and psychological effects go with it, and situation B, in which you do all the good things, which effects in feeling good. His message: just do B!!. He does not, however, explain how to change your behavioral patterns from A to B, which typically is not done instantly. People do not change overnight, and typically need to go though a few totally different phases in order to achieve change. That, he doesn't explain, which makes it, imho, a completely worthless self-help book.

With every page I read, I got more angry. I think it was, what socionicst would call, a very Ti approach to therapy. LSI vibe.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was, what socionicst would call, a very Ti approach to therapy. LSI vibe.
    I have a really hard time seeing this guy as having a Ne PoLR.

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Wayne Dyer's type: he's an idiot.

My sister recommended that I read "Pulling your own strings". I think this is a typical example of the average self-help book: it tells you about situation A, which bad behaviors and psychological effects go with it, and situation B, in which you do all the good things, which effects in feeling good. His message: just do B!!. He does not, however, explain how to change your behavioral patterns from A to B, which typically is not done instantly. People do not change overnight, and typically need to go though a few totally different phases in order to achieve change. That, he doesn't explain, which makes it, imho, a completely worthless self-help book.

With every page I read, I got more angry.
    I haven't read that book, I don't know your situation, and I'm not an expert on this guy or his writing, but I'm pretty sure he'd say that by thinking you're supposed to be somewhere else it means that you see where you're at right now as being wrong somehow. He would go on to say that you should just accept where you're at right now for what it is without judging or blaming yourself (or anyone else). Whatever's going on with you is nothing more than where you are on your path right now, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have something to learn, and once you do you'll move on to something else.

Nothing will prevent growth more than thinking there's something wrong with where you're at now (or where you were ever at).

Detach yourself from the outcome and just focus on the feelings of peace and harmony and security (or whatever) that you intend to manifest. The details will take care of themselves.

One of the biggest points that he focuses on is accepting responsibility for yourself. Everything in your life, including people, events, circumstances, etc. are manifestations of your state of being and the way you internally process things. The way you experience your life is your decision alone, and if you choose to focus on the negative things or things you don't want, you'll manifest more of those things. If you choose to instead to internally experience peace and gratitude no matter what is going on, you'll manifest harmony and abundance in your life.
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to toss out a type on this guy, I'd go ENFp. He reminds me an awful lot of my life coach friend in terms of the things he talks about and how he goes about it, especially one book he lent me "There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem" or something along those lines. At some point he [Dyer] brings in the physics of light/energy to make his analogy, which struck me as an intuitive approach (even if I thought the way he went about it was a little hokey and certainly wouldn't win the hearts or minds of most thinkers).

Unfortunately, I didn't make it past page 11, so it's difficult to say. I would at least hazard that he's an NF of some sort. Intuitive at the very least. As far as an overall feel, I wouldn't say that I disliked the guy but it did seem like he tried too hard in certain respects, even though I honestly believe he has a desire to help others. I could see delta as a possibility.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I haven't read that book, I don't know your situation, and I'm not an expert on this guy or his writing, but I'm pretty sure he'd say that by thinking you're supposed to be somewhere else it means that you see where you're at right now as being wrong somehow. He would go on to say that you should just accept where you're at right now for what it is without judging or blaming yourself (or anyone else). Whatever's going on with you is nothing more than where you are on your path right now, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have something to learn, and once you do you'll move on to something else.

Nothing will prevent growth more than thinking there's something wrong with where you're at now (or where you were ever at).

Detach yourself from the outcome and just focus on the feelings of peace and harmony and security (or whatever) that you intend to manifest. The details will take care of themselves.

One of the biggest points that he focuses on is accepting responsibility for yourself. Everything in your life, including people, events, circumstances, etc. are manifestations of your state of being and the way you internally process things. The way you experience your life is your decision alone, and if you choose to focus on the negative things or things you don't want, you'll manifest more of those things. If you choose to instead to internally experience peace and gratitude no matter what is going on, you'll manifest harmony and abundance in your life.
    Liiiiar!

You do seem to have a pretty good grasp of the gist of his message, at least from what my meager experience has allowed me to divine.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp is a good guess. Anything else than one of the N types is not.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who is wayne dyer?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    who is wayne dyer?
    Someone of no consequence.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you already checked, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Dyer

Also, he probably has some Youtube stuff also, though I've never heard him live before.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is exactly what he says (and more), and you now, he is, in fact, absolutely right about that, No doubt, I agree with most of what he writes. Psychological distress often involves cognitive distortions and change involves cognitive restructuring, which is the aim of cognitive therapy. The issue here is that Dyer doesn't tell you which path you should follow when you want psychological changes, he tells you about A and B, but not how to get from A to B. Most people who feel a need to change their ways (who are in need of therapeutic help, be it counseling of self-help), it is impossible to 'flip the switch'. They need to go through a process that involves several steps, not just a change in their cognitive outlooks. Self-acceptance is a major and often the first step, but he doesn't tell us how to accomplish that.

He basically says: "these are the rules, stick by them and you'll be happy!" Rule-based schemas, which I think is Ti. I can see how it would work for Ti based people in particular and Te/Ti based people in general.

But anyway, you say you can't see him having an Ne-POLR. What do you think his type is? Certainly not ENFp, that book lacks any sort of compassion. Of course, I'm assuming his style of writing reflects his psychology. I think his style of writing is very harsh.

Again, I completely agree with him, but he still doesn't tell people how to get from A to B. But then again, the average buyer of self-help books is not really interested in change, only in the illusion that he/she is doing something about it. His books fit that niche very nicely, I think.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 01-30-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    ILE.
    Extremely unlikely. I definitely think he's got strong Ne, but my top two choices for him are LIE (in spite of his appearance) and IEE (in spite of what many have called his "insensitivity"). Gamma/Delta > Beta > Alpha.

(I'll respond to the other responses later.)
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the trouble if watching some of his videos, and he's definitively not IEE, not by my standards, not by comparison to what I seen people here regard as IEEs. I can not however, exclude the possibility of LIE, but I still see to much of an adherance to 'laws' (Ti) and a natural commanding presence (Se).

As to Ne: he adds nothing new to whatever philosophy he's talking about at the time (compare this to e.g. Expat, an LIE who is able to come up with 'new' stuff out of the blue), also, his approach does not deal with multiple possibilities, exceptions to the rules etc.etc., especially for a guy of his age: an ILE or IEE of his age and his experience would have a much more complex understanding and try to communicate that. I can't see Ne as an 1st, 2nd or 8th function. Not in his book, not in the videos.

Also, his Fe switches on and off a bit too consciously I think.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Self-help books suck. The more I read that patronizing crap the more I want to kill myself. If you really want help, you'd see a real person face-to-face and you'd actually do actions instead of just reading about them.

I can't stand that guy who writes those Kabbalah books either.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liiiiar!

You do seem to have a pretty good grasp of the gist of his message, at least from what my meager experience has allowed me to divine.
    I haven't actually read any of his books. I listened to much of one of his audio programs though. Just about everything he says is stuff I've instinctively believed (on some level) for years, long before I ever read any books or listened to audio programs (or speakers) on the subject.

That is exactly what he says (and more), and you now, he is, in fact, absolutely right about that, No doubt, I agree with most of what he writes. Psychological distress often involves cognitive distortions and change involves cognitive restructuring, which is the aim of cognitive therapy. The issue here is that Dyer doesn't tell you which path you should follow when you want psychological changes, he tells you about A and B, but not how to get from A to B. Most people who feel a need to change their ways (who are in need of therapeutic help, be it counseling of self-help), it is impossible to 'flip the switch'. They need to go through a process that involves several steps, not just a change in their cognitive outlooks. Self-acceptance is a major and often the first step, but he doesn't tell us how to accomplish that.
    Those steps (including self-acceptance) are not the cause of growth, they're the natural result.

He talks about a woman he counseled who was saying that she needed to figure out what was blocking her from growing and improving herself, and he said that the block is that she thinks there's a block. Sounds too simplistic... someone said that to me once and I was like "no, there is something, there has to be a reason". The message regarding that is that focusing on the reason, whether you're trying to find it or fix it or whatever, is just going to keep you spinning your wheels.

He basically says: "these are the rules, stick by them and you'll be happy!" Rule-based schemas, which I think is Ti.
    Are we talking about the same guy?

Seriously though, I didn't here him talking about rules... The content of his audio program was entirely based around philosophy and how things work.

I can see how it would work for Ti based people in particular and Te/Ti based people in general.
    I do think he lacks something that ethical people seem to often have, not quite sure what it is though. I guess he has a more external approach to rational things?

Certainly not ENFp, that book lacks any sort of compassion. Of course, I'm assuming his style of writing reflects his psychology. I think his style of writing is very harsh.
    Depends how you define compassion. I think he's a very compassionate person... What good are you doing anyone by encouraging them to continue feeling sorry for themselves? How is telling people that their life is their responsibility anything less than compassionate? It may not be easy to hear for someone who wants to blame their circumstances or other people for their problems and live in resentment, but those people are never going to move forward if they remain in that mindset. If it bothers them to hear it, good. They should be bothered.

They will reject this message that people are trying to get across as long and they're still living with that mindset. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." And if the teacher (or lesson) is presented before the student is ready to learn that lesson, it doesn't matter how the information is presented.

And as Dyer would say, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just where they're at in their lives at that time.

(Perhaps I'm missing your point though? Like I said, I didn't actually read that book.)

Again, I completely agree with him, but he still doesn't tell people how to get from A to B. But then again, the average buyer of self-help books is not really interested in change, only in the illusion that he/she is doing something about it. His books fit that niche very nicely, I think.

You are correct, in a way. Read what I wrote in response to BulletsAndDoves for the explanation for why I say this.

I took the trouble if watching some of his videos, and he's definitively not IEE, not by my standards, not by comparison to what I seen people here regard as IEEs.
    I'm not sure. I'm beginning to think LIE is more likely.

I can not however, exclude the possibility of LIE, but I still see to much of an adherance to 'laws' (Ti) and a natural commanding presence (Se).
    I can't see any possible way that his ego block consists of two external information elements.

Is it possible that what you're seeing is rationality (and extroversion)?

As to Ne: he adds nothing new to whatever philosophy he's talking about at the time (compare this to e.g. Expat, an LIE who is able to come up with 'new' stuff out of the blue)
    Actually, he does pretty much the same thing Expat does.

See, Expat doesn't invent new theories, either. He just uses creates examples for and explanations of already existing theories. Whatever you're seeing as new is just a different way of explaining or looking at or applying the same traditional theory of Socionics.

also, his approach does not deal with multiple possibilities

He's constantly talking about being open to and enthusiastically exploring new possibilities, from what I've heard

exceptions to the rules etc.etc.
    I'm really not sure I understand what "rules" you're talking about? Whatever principles he discusses are just the application of various philosophies to his personal observations. The only way I can see this as being comparable to a "rule" would be if you consider things like "what goes up must come down" a "rule".

Please note that I'm not saying that what he talks about is exactly like the laws of gravity or thermodynamics. I'm referring to gravity as a matter of "that's just how things work", not the method of classification or means of obtaining one's perceptions related to gravity (which would have to be physical).

especially for a guy of his age: an ILE or IEE of his age and his experience would have a much more complex understanding and try to communicate that.
    Wow, I'm totally lost now. Complex how? Much more complex than what?

Personally, I think progress is made when complicated things are simplified into the most basic, working understanding possible.

What value is there in focusing on all of the complexities of something when it's not necessary in order to accomplish the intended result? Besides, he's read a lot of books and talked to a lot of experts about many different subjects. He's gathered information and I have no doubt that he understands the complexities of the subjects he's studied as necessary. How else would be be able to get what's important and what's not if not by gleaning information from sources he deems reliable? What would be the point in re-writing a book about each of those subjects when doing so won't communicate the ideas he's presenting in a format which can be readily processed and used by people? If you want to know more about any of the subjects he touches on or the complex information his ideas/theories/beliefs are built upon, I'm quite certain he could direct you to good sources of information and explain how each is relevant to what he discusses.

I can't see Ne as an 1st, 2nd or 8th function. Not in his book, not in the videos.
    The stories he tells about his life and what he used to be like make anything other than Si as a 4th or 5th function pretty much impossible (assuming he's being truthful, of course). That would mean that Ne is either his 1st or 8th function.

Also, his Fe switches on and off a bit too consciously I think.
    Really? I haven't noticed this. (And if so, wouldn't this imply that Fe is a conscious function for him?)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Self-help books suck. The more I read that patronizing crap the more I want to kill myself.
    This is very important: His books are not self-help books. They're self improvement books. There's a huge difference.

Self help: How to stop being a slut
    Self improvement: How to develop healthy, lasting relationships

Self help: How to heal your physical symptoms
    Self improvement: How to experience optimum health

Self help: How to control your temper
    Self improvement: How to live a life of inner peace

Self help: How to fix all of the problems in your life and defeat your weaknesses
    Self improvement: How to pull your own strings

See the difference? If our dominant thoughts becomes our existence, focusing on fixing or removing a problem (via "self help" or any other means) will only perpetuate the existence of that problem. The more you need it to stop, the more you will continue to need it to stop.

If you want to continue in a behavior, try to stop doing it. If you want to have healthier or more productive behaviors, focus on the desired results that having those behaviors will bring. If those images and feelings dominate your thoughts, your resulting behavior (and even circumstances) will automatically manifest the reality that you have created (and are already living) in your mind.

If you really want help, you'd see a real person face-to-face and you'd actually do actions instead of just reading about them.
    Personally, I've had the complete opposite experience. Maybe it's different for different people?

I can't stand that guy who writes those Kabbalah books either.
    I don't know anything about Kabbalah.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can not however, exclude the possibility of LIE, but I still see to much of an adherance to 'laws' (Ti) and a natural commanding presence (Se).
    Are these the types of "laws" you're talking about?
    • "As a man thinketh, so shall he be." -the Bible (King Solomon)
    • "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world." -The Dhammapada (Buddhist text)
    • "A man is what he thinks all day long." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • “The outer conditions of a person's life will always be found to reflect their inner beliefs” -James Allen
    • "Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him." -James Allen
    • "A man's life is what his thoughts make of it." -Marcus Aurelius
    If so, I invite you to survey the Ti types of this forum to find which ones are fond of (or agree with) "rules" or "laws" such as these.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you actually like what he has to say?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like? I wouldn't say "like", but there are some parts I strongly agree with.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like? I wouldn't say "like", but there are some parts I strongly agree with.
    It just seems that what he is saying is so generic, self-evident, and not very useful, but then again I do not get the point of self-help books. It almost seems to be a contradiction of terms.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like I was saying...

This is very important: His books are not self-help books. They're self improvement books. There's a huge difference.

Self help: How to stop being a slut
    Self improvement: How to develop healthy, lasting relationships

Self help: How to heal your physical symptoms
    Self improvement: How to experience optimum health

Self help: How to control your temper
    Self improvement: How to live a life of inner peace

Self help: How to fix all of the problems in your life and defeat your weaknesses
    Self improvement: How to pull your own strings

See the difference? If our dominant thoughts becomes our existence, focusing on fixing or removing a problem (via "self help" or any other means) will only perpetuate the existence of that problem. The more you need it to stop, the more you will continue to need it to stop.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's very simple reframing. it just sounds like "self improvement" is a euphemism for "self help."
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    that's very simple reframing. it just sounds like "self improvement" is a euphemism for "self help."
    Essentially.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're completely missing the point.
    SEE

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Personally, I've had the complete opposite experience. Maybe it's different for different people?
    I think you're right. My ESFj mom *needs* to spend like 5 years just talking about her problems. And as much as I'd like to do that, I know that it wouldn't get me anywhere. Again, I actually hate this- because I want to talk about things, but nothing really ever goes the way I want it to unless I take some physical action. I can talk about things rather easily and it brings me joy for awhile but it doesn't really solve the problem not that all talking is bad for me. It still must end with some kind of action plan, otherwise I get miserable.

I agree with you on the self-improvement/self-help thing though. I realize I was a bit blunt in that post, so I apologize. Just bad experience is all.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these the types of "laws" you're talking about?
    • "As a man thinketh, so shall he be." -the Bible (King Solomon)
    • "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world." -The Dhammapada (Buddhist text)
    • "A man is what he thinks all day long." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • “The outer conditions of a person's life will always be found to reflect their inner beliefs” -James Allen
    • "Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him." -James Allen
    • "A man's life is what his thoughts make of it." -Marcus Aurelius
    If so, I invite you to survey the Ti types of this forum to find which ones are fond of (or agree with) "rules" or "laws" such as these.
    These quotes a too vague to be interpreted in a single-meaning fashion. What I mean by "laws" is the attitude of a stereotypical police officer: following the rules for the sake of following the rules, which they assume to lead to good consequences, whereas breaking he rules causes bad things. Back-and-white thinking, rigid systems, no exceptions to the rules etc. But it might also be that he's just a very smart charlatan, I'll elaborate that in a reply to a message by Logos.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

About the self-help thing....

For many of us, we already know all this shit- we just don't do it. Weak/Dual-seeking will do that to a person. So maybe to some it's like we're not getting the lesson. It's just, we're not applying it or doing it.

It can be kind of humiliating when somebody talks to you like they're helping you, but when you already know when they're talking about- you just haven't done it yet. It's not a matter of simply being lazy- it's just...who we fucking are. I could have made such a wonderful life for myself with my brains and creativity, but.... there just isn't that kind of special something I need to move me along. It's not about being a bully to me and saying ' JUST FUCKING DO IT' cause that doesn't work either. Also it's about having that realization and knowing that you constantly have to build upon it is frustrating. It can never be just a grand big heavy -orgasm prize like we want it to.

*sigh*

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    It just seems that what he is saying is so generic, self-evident, and not very useful, but then again I do not get the point of self-help books. It almost seems to be a contradiction of terms.
    Exactly the point I was making: the book I read and the videos I saw on his web site and elsewhere, are just re-iterations of things already said many times before in exactly the same way by other people, and adding nothing new (both in terms of words as well as the way it's presented). This is why I rule out Ne in positions 1, 2, 7 and 8 of Model A.

I do not completely rule out that he's a charlatan who's figured out a way to make money.

Still, we haven't heard from Joy WHY she thinks he's LIE. I would like to see how she thinks Model A is manifested in his personality and behavior. I think I myself already did this, although by no means I claim I'm right in the analysis. That's why I would like to see a good Model A analysis.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These quotes a too vague to be interpreted in a single-meaning fashion. What I mean by "laws" is the attitude of a stereotypical police officer: following the rules for the sake of following the rules, which they assume to lead to good consequences, whereas breaking he rules causes bad things. Back-and-white thinking, rigid systems, no exceptions to the rules etc. But it might also be that he's just a very smart charlatan, I'll elaborate that in a reply to a message by Logos.
    Like I said, I haven't read the book you're referring to... but this description is the last thing that I would have thought of to describe this guy. I really don't see this attitude/behavior in him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    About the self-help thing....

For many of us, we already know all this shit- we just don't do it. Weak/Dual-seeking will do that to a person. So maybe to some it's like we're not getting the lesson. It's just, we're not applying it or doing it.

It can be kind of humiliating when somebody talks to you like they're helping you, but when you already know when they're talking about- you just haven't done it yet. It's not a matter of simply being lazy- it's just...who we fucking are. I could have made such a wonderful life for myself with my brains and creativity, but.... there just isn't that kind of special something I need to move me along. It's not about being a bully to me and saying ' JUST FUCKING DO IT' cause that doesn't work either. Also it's about having that realization and knowing that you constantly have to build upon it is frustrating. It can never be just a grand big heavy -orgasm prize like we want it to.

*sigh*
    Yeah, different people need/want different things.

Exactly the point I was making: the book I read and the videos I saw on his web site and elsewhere, are just re-iterations of things already said many times before in exactly the same way by other people, and adding nothing new (both in terms of words as well as the way it's presented).
    Pretty much. He's certainly never claimed to do anything other than that.

This is why I rule out Ne in positions 1, 2, 7 and 8 of Model A.
    I could see why this would make one want to rule Ne out for the 1st and 2nd functions, but not 7th or 8th.

I do not completely rule out that he's a charlatan who's figured out a way to make money.
    I don't believe that is the case, based on what I've heard of his audio program (which is like 12 CDs long ). Obviously this isn't something that can be proven or disproven though (not that any of this could be).

Still, we haven't heard from Joy WHY she thinks he's LIE. I would like to see how she thinks Model A is manifested in his personality and behavior. I think I myself already did this, although by no means I claim I'm right in the analysis. That's why I would like to see a good Model A analysis.
    I don't think he's LIE. I really don't know what he is. My impressions:

NF > NT > SF > ST

Te/Fi > Ti/Fe

EJ > EP > IP > IJ

Positivist > Negativist

The reason I said that Si makes perfect sense as a 4th or 5th function (and little sense as anything else) is because of the way he describes Si things in his life and his attitude toward Si things.

The way he describes how he used to be sounds very much like an EJ temperament and enneagram 8w9. What does an 8 growing towards 2 sound like? http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeEight.asp

When he talks about his wife, he praises things related to Ethics. He also makes her sound like an introverted sensory (though obviously they're not necessarily duals). I do think though that the things he wants/needs/appreciates most in her are related to Fi (if not, then Fe, but Fi is more likely).

To me he looks irrational and does not appear to have strong Se. (I was hoping for more VI responses in this thread than anything, but oh well.)

As you can see, these things are somewhat contradictory.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Wayne Dyer and have watched a lot of his programs, read his books, etc.

From the start, I've always thought he was ENTP. He has that same ENTP charm, tells self depreciating stories that way an ENTP would (like saying his own daughter criticized him when he was stressed out and yelling and said "would you buy a book from this guy?") and sometimes ENTPs are over simplistic in terms of personal problems, especially Fi ones. He has a lot of solutions, but not a lot of understanding of people as individuals.

He has that super-confident, commanding presence, but it's somewhat showy. Reminds me of my ENTP ex who would act like that at parties.

My ISFP friend also thinks he's the Best!

He sees things from his specific perspective only, and that is "right." Where as an ENFP can see things from several "right" perspectives, which makes for less straightforward messages. His messages are very straightforward without much complexity or concern for individual differences. An ENFP would be more like "this approach will probably work for you, but everyone is different" and he's more liek "this will work, because I say it will."

You can also tell he really enjoys attention when he's public speaking, likes the be the focus. (Don't get me wrong, ENFPs like this too, but tend to do it more to entertain people, versus to like, inform them on the correct way to do something, which is the vibe i get from him).
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    He sees things from his specific perspective only, and that is "right." Where as an ENFP can see things from several "right" perspectives, which makes for less straightforward messages. His messages are very straightforward without much complexity or concern for individual differences. An ENFP would be more like "this approach will probably work for you, but everyone is different" and he's more liek "this will work, because I say it will."
    I see your point. (Perhaps this is what consentingadult was referring to as well?) To me it's definitely more of a sign of rationality than Ti.

I would add that while I can see this perspective, I don't think he necessarily thinks like that. It's more like "this will work if you're interested, because that's just how things are". It's not that he has to be right, by any means. He's just seen too much to believe otherwise. He'd be the first to tell you though that people (himself included) should always see themselves as beginners, never experts. Beginners are willing to consider or try anything and are thus in the best position to learn something new.
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    ...inform them on the correct way to do something, which is the vibe i get from him.
    That's what I've been saying all along: Ti! Thank you

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're completely missing the point.
    Which is what exactly? How does reading a book for "self-help" differ in either content or concept from reading a book for "self improvement"?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Which is what exactly? How does reading a book for "self-help" differ in either content or concept from reading a book for "self improvement"?
    The focus of the former is that you have problems. The focus on the later is growth and improvement.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lolololololol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The focus of the former is that you have problems. The focus on the later is growth and improvement.
    So the only difference is that in the former you are reading while standing in a hole and the latter you are reading the same book standing out of the hole? Yeah, big difference.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The former would be like standing in the hole still digging, and the later would be taking a pleasant walk.

The whole point is that your behavior and circumstances are manifestations of your thoughts. If you're thinking about how there's something wrong with you and you need to work on fixing it, you're digging. That hole wouldn't even be there in the first place if you hadn't dug it. But regardless, if you do find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Don't focus on the hole, just decide where you'd like to be and go there. It's as easy or as hard as you decide it is.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast