Page 130 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,200 of 6489

Thread: Delta Lounge

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Dh and I today were talking the longest, longest time (with measuring tape) about the new enclosure we hope to start soon. We enter the hosue through a 3-season porch, currently with shelves (full, since we have no garage or shed - we hope to build a shed next year) and we want to convert it to an actual useful room. But we want SO MUCH out of this room: laundry (to get the washer out of the kitchen), and also also change the entry of the house to the front (its in the back now, and you have to walk all through the room to get to the inner door, making the room basically a walkway), and, maybe, if we extend it the 4 feet, yet another door to the back, as there would now be no back door, and we hope to have a patio there, then we want useable space. These extensions even if very modest and the permit required for not just enclosing it are goign to raise the price. So there is deciding how to expand it and how much that will cost for materials (Dh does the work except pouring new footings). We might have to forgo the orignal plan of adding a front porch. For that we have to cover the outdoor cellar-hatch doors with a trap door in the floor of the proposed porch, but first jackhammering the cement frame the metal doors are on to lower them. It would be so pretty to ahve that tiny front porch but I think there is too much involved in our ideas, and something has to give. Anyway, we brainstorm really well together, so that's nice. We will keep at it til we perfect it...
    That does sound like a lot to consider. My wife and I are always trying to come up with ideas as to what to do with our house.

The trapdoor ideas sounds like a neat idea, and the porch roof will keep the water from getting into the cellar entrance.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really don't understand how so many people don't like camping or just spending time in nature. I'm taking my family camping this summer, where my parents used to take us. I have so many enjoyable memories there. I hope my kids will someday appreciate that.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have realized within the last week just how unhealthy my life has become. I've known it for a long time, but since I'm starting to return to a more normal life, I'm actually feeling the difference. I've forgotten how important it is for me to have a laid back, routine, quiet, simple life. The world really does seem to move way too fast for my liking. I need a life where I can slow it down some and have that balance between work, rest, and leisure.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    That does sound like a lot to consider. My wife and I are always trying to come up with ideas as to what to do with our house.

The trapdoor ideas sounds like a neat idea, and the porch roof will keep the water from getting into the cellar entrance.
    Thanks. Well, the trap door idea is great, however, we just decided to throw it out. We just can't go overboard on the budget and there is so much involved there, turns out. The cellar entrance as is has worked fine for decades, apparently - no water comes in. And that's not guaranteed with our porch idea. So no porch there. Like I said, we want SO MUCH from this little space. Something has to give. One of my priorities is a welcoming entry. Turning the whole front of that side room into a nice front entry porch was the most welcoming, but, we need to find a cheaper way to do "welcoming". Rather than than the unwelcoming-option of trying to squeeze in a tiny stoop and narrow front door into what space the big cellar hatch leaves us, we are now leaning toward a side main entry now, in that front corner. This will reduce our adjoining three-car wide driveway-landing to a two-car wide driveway-landing, but, something has to give. We are a one-car family anyway. Its just not as nice for visitors. But when we have guests we can park on the street like the rest of our neighbors do when they have guests. (Our dead-end hillside street (originally a road to a stagecoach inn) is fairly narrow.

So, now I am working on that design.. I just got done tracing dh's precise computer drawings of our home from the front and then from the side. (I design pencil and paper, and he likes the computer which for me is too slow for generating ideas). Meanwhile today dh is up putting a new tarp over that roof. The tarp was a temporary fix last fall, but it failed yesterday! There is rain today and in the next weeks and we can't reroof till the plans are finalized as have not made up our mind about roof extensions....

Well, back to the drawing board!
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think walking is the best exercise. It doesn't require a gym membership, so you can save a lot of money. It isn't strenuous, so you save your joints and you don't need expensive equipment. In addition, it is usually pleasant to be outside with the wind and sun on your face. It's even more pleasant in the early morning when there aren't as many cars out on the road; it's more peaceful. It's rewarding to walk up a hillside and get a look of the valley below.
    Last edited by Skepsis; 04-11-2015 at 01:48 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ahhhhh deep breaths.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm out of the loop here on 16T. We had no computer for awhile and just back online. Its great weather here and we're trying to accomplish a lot, including that remodel and so much is involved. I haven't even read here so I don't know whats going on... well, I'll be around and I hope everyone is ok.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason, there was more drama and a couple of bannings. It seems there's some suspicion in some quarters that I might be a sociopath. I made a thread. Other people made other threads, but I haven't read most of them. @Amber has been resuscitating old ones, sparking new convos.

Unrelated to the forum: Last weekend a new friend of mine suggested a couple of good podcasts that I should start listening to, including RadioLab. This morning, I listened to the one on Colors, which got me interested in Mantis Shrimp because of their unique eyes, which in turn led me to this fascinating older TED Talk about them. I "wasted" a good portion of my morning on that, but it felt nice to take a break from stress.

This is a mantis shrimp:

Last edited by Minde; 05-30-2015 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Adding the shrimpy
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    @Eliza Thomason, there was more drama and a couple of bannings. It seems there's some suspicion in some quarters that I might be a sociopath. I made a thread. Other people made other threads, but I haven't read most of them. @Amber has been resuscitating old ones, sparking new convos.
    I appreciate the update! That was nice. I am going to catch up and read the thread later.

Unrelated to the forum: Last weekend a new friend of mine suggested a couple of good podcasts that I should start listening to, including ...This morning, I listened to the one on ... which got me interested in ... because of their unique eyes, which in turn led me to this fascinating older .... I "wasted" a good portion of my morning on that, but it felt nice to take a break from stress.

This is a mantis shrimp:
    I like anything about colors. And that's an interesting shrimp.

I am so happy today! I got great news! My son tells me he will be moving back up this way. I have been praying that he would choose to go to junior college in this area, living with me or his Dad the next state (both of us up here in the northeast). His "gap year" is wrapping up, and as he is undecided as to exactly what to major in, he plans to go to junior college to get the basics out of the way while he decides. He has a very nice girlfriend/best friend down there where he is, in faraway AZ, who is going to college in Indiana in the fall. He considered going to junior college there in Indianna, an idea I hated (but I state my opinion only very, very minimally, because I don't want to pressure him). So he realized that working to pay for an apartment would be a challenge, as the job market there (he investigated) is tight and mostly only minimum wage. He and his girlfriend have decided to part as friends, not trying to keep things going long distance. (So if it is meant to be in the end, it will be). I am just so happy to get the news that he will be near for the next two years, and visiting more often, and will have a chance to get to know my husband's family (now mine) here. When he comes he'll have his own room -- its little, but he'll have the whole attic floor, with his own private bathroom (with a deck over it!).

And we will soon be enclosing a porch, so we will have an extra place to be on the main floor here, which is very helpful when Mom is not having a good day... (Dh and I manage fine, but, when we have a guest, its nice to have another spot to go to, not just their own bedroom. And this is true especially for my son).

Today dh and I worked more on the plans to submit for the permit. I had so wanted a heated floor in there, even though it will also have forced air, as there is no basement underneath. I am thinking for the icy days, so that room can be as cozy as any other. But the only inexpensive way to install those heated floors is if you have a vinyl or tile on the floor, which I do not want. I want hardwood, to match the rest of the house. Dh priced doing it with the new systems that do work with hardwood floors, but he found its just too much expense for a small room. So that's out. We decided to get someone here to spray-foam insulate under the floors so we don't have to pull up the old floor, which is sturdy and fine to build on (the crawl space is too small to crawl). And some later time we will purchase a special heated pad that you put a room carpet on, so that should be just fine, and a lot cheaper, and very affordable (when we can afford it!).

Dh is going to build a portico entry porch with built-in benches! And we'll have a real front door, wood! And I will paint it with Fine Paints of Europe! I have been so longing to try that paint! I am thinking a deep pine green, for the door, and later a nice turquoisy logan-y green for the house shutters we'll add eventually (only the door will be shiny). With the European Paint technique, you use a special putty and lots of sanding for a slick surface, and then a very precise painting technique, with several layers with fine sanding in between.

This will finally give us some curb appeal (that and cleaning the algae off the house!). It will be such a drastic change since we don't even have a front door, which makes it look confusing from the front. (Now, the way it is, you just go up the driveway hoping to see a door, and you don't. You realize there has to be a door here somewhere, probably on the porch, so, you go to the back of the house and there it is, the old storm door. That's our door.

This is so exciting to me because I like renovations, I like design, I love curb appeal. That latter I have been doing my whole life, seriously. From childhood, in the car, I would be looking, looking out the window (not at an electronic like kids do now) and I was always observing and "changing" things in my mind, how to make houses look better). So I am thinking and planning constantly now. My husband thinks on the plans constantly, too. Just different aspects. And we always interested in the others thoughts...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I have such a tough time with my sister. I'm always trying to build relationships and make them stronger and she's always trying to avoid them. I want to be closer to my sister in law and want to invite her out with us but my sister never takes initiative or regatd to her. It's not like she's uninvited but she's also not invited either. It makes me feel bad because I want her to be. To me she's equally my sister. To my sister she's more idk her own person? It's strange but how can someone become YOUR sister if they aren't made to feel like they are connected to you?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I have such a tough time with my sister. I'm always trying to build relationships and make them stronger and she's always trying to avoid them. I want to be closer to my sister in law and want to invite her out with us but my sister never takes initiative or regatd to her. It's not like she's uninvited but she's also not invited either. It makes me feel bad because I want her to be. To me she's equally my sister. To my sister she's more idk her own person? It's strange but how can someone become YOUR sister if they aren't made to feel like they are connected to you?
    Checking to see if I understand: Your sis-in-law is getting left out because when you and your sis get together your sis is reluctant to include her. Is that is? (I was going to comment but I was no sure I had this right).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Checking to see if I understand: Your sis-in-law is getting left out because when you and your sis get together your sis is reluctant to include her. Is that is? (I was going to comment but I was no sure I had this right).
    yes

I always take the initiative in inviting her out and even though she has said no and came a few time but "no" more she's still come out and so I don't give up. My sister says one no means not interested

stop reading me so well
    -

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was BEAR in my backyard tonight! Sitting by the tree swing eating something my husband left out for little critters. Not expecting a BEAR!

(Dh took a picture but we haven't figured out how to post it yet).

(One more try): bear.jpg

It worked! He was cuddled on the ground eating. My husband was out there with his granddaughter then called me out to say he I would not BELIEVE what was in the back yard. This is by the back door! His 5 year old granddaughter was to the right, so I called her in, and that's when he ambled off (to the left, but even closer to us now, exiting on our side of the burn pile, but a rock terrace wall was between us) and, as I was urging dear gd to come in right now, HE LOOKED ME RIGHT IN THE EYE as he ambled off!

This is the second time I had big wildlife looking me in the eye. Also in March at the Grand Canyon an elk stopped grazing to look at me (I was talking to him).
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 06-08-2015 at 03:29 AM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I always take the initiative in inviting her out and even though she has said no and came a few time but "no" more she's still come out and so I don't give up. My sister says one no means not interested...
    Well its nice of you. You probably know her type - it may well be personality difference, either she is not comfortable with you or your sister, or your type of socializing. If she comes some of the time, not all of the time, maybe that works better for her. Its nice you want to include her. When I was married before, I tried so hard to get on with my ex's sisters. But they were very clannish. The best result of effort I ever had was volunteering to help them paint a room they were working on. It was the only opportunity I ever had to help them work, and then I got to spend time with them. But it truly was just who they are.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't take advice from someone who's in a position you don't want to be in. Those who fail to lead by example are not your go-to people when you have a problem.

(It's funny how long it takes me to learn things of this nature sometimes.)
    Last edited by Park; 06-11-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Don't take advice from someone who's in a position you don't want to be in. Those who fail to lead by example are not your go-to people when you have a problem.

(It's funny how long it takes me to learn things of this nature sometimes.)
    Disagree.

Someone could say, don't do what I did look how it turned out, could be maybe someone who's turned to drugs who's aware it's taken time out their lives. It all started with the weekend etc... Yeah take advice as to what to avoid from someone kind enough to relay their experience.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Delta Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by dragoned View Post
    Disagree.

Someone could say, don't do what I did look how it turned out, could be maybe someone who's turned to drugs who's aware it's taken time out their lives. It all started with the weekend etc... Yeah take advice as to what to avoid from someone kind enough to relay their experience.
    That's known as "learning from other people's mistakes," and it makes a great counter-argument. Still, I think I would tend to find the advice of someone who's achieved something along the lines of what I want to achieve more valuable than that of someone who's achieved something I want to avoid.

Or maybe they are the same thing. E.g., if someone has a history of drugs slowing down their progress or messing with their life trajectory, then that person is technically leading by example and their advice on the matter is empirically sound.
    Last edited by Park; 06-11-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exploring some thoughts today.

re·press
    verb
    • subdue (someone or something) by force.
    • restrain, prevent, or inhibit (the expression or development of something).
    • suppress (a thought, feeling, or desire) in oneself so that it becomes or remains unconscious.

I ponder this in context with many things - current headlines as well as personal dramas. I definitely am not free of fear; I have many.

Also, I feel like painting today. Should I paint or do some of the work I'm behind on?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I feel like painting today. Should I paint or do some of the work I'm behind on?
    Paint!
    Especially while you are pondering repression and fear.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I painted. It felt amazing. Now I want to paint some more; I want to do a portrait of someone I've never met. I wish I could take a break from life for, like, a month and just putter around and be creative. And read. And listen to landscapes. (Did you know the Grand Canyon has a voice?)

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEE and Ni, Se

Lately I am enjoying reading from our 16types's wealth of info in the "Articles" section. I find Rick DeLong's description of IEE very spot-on. He ends with a description of our Id block: introverted intuition Ni, blocked with extroverted ethics Fe. Here are highlights of that, that are so true of me:

"Occasionally – most often when they are alone – IEEs fall into a dreamy, reflective, and introspective state where they suddenly lose all interest in pursuing external goals and stimuli. This is a good state for writing something poetic or allegorical, for composing or improvising music, writing an introspective diary entry, or doing something else creative slowly and methodically. These states are satisfyingly creative..."

This is SO TRUE of me. I do have a need to have this states periodically, and I love working out creative ideas - which are almost always artwork or writing, but, though I am not educated musically, I even, in a very rudimentary way, occasionally get sidetracked "composing" in a relaxed and attentive way on a glockenspiel I bought for my son years ago.

"IEEs are warm and friendly, but not usually very externally animated or loud. However, they can become very animated and expressive for brief periods of time, imitating other people, modulating their voices like types with strong extroverted ethics, and acting out situations using rich facial expressions, body movements, and intonation. IEEs may seem naturally gifted at this, but they do not keep it up for very long and quickly revert to their usual calm, upbeat, smiling selves. For them, introverted intuition and extroverted ethics states are unusual, altered states of consciousness and, while IEEs show some competency in them, they are not a big part of their day-to-day lives."

Yes. For sure I am not usually animated or loud. My SLI husband really quite seems louder than me. I think because he is 9w8, and that 8 part of him is just verbose and loud at times, that is, when he is home with me, home where we are both completely comfortable being ourselves. For sure, I can, in certain situations turn on an extroverted public persona as described by DeLong of IEE. I call on that, when teaching, a lot. I also have called on it in job interviews, and intend to do that soon, as I will be interviewing this summer. But it is not my everyday-way, for sure. 'Everyday' is quiet, calm, upbeat and pretty much smiling, yes. I used to be a more constant smiler; that was often remarked on. I got a little "sober" after my divorce, with the struggles of single-mom life and being hit with some realities of life - I just got more serious. But I am getting back to habitual smiling more these days.

"IEEs usually feel awkward and shy when other people are very emotionally animate or verbally profuse around them, especially if they direct their emotional displays at the IEE. IEEs have a hard time expressing genuine emotional involvement and excitement (for example, jumping in the air and shouting “yippee” as you clap your hands) and don’t like situations where this kind of excitement and team spirit is expected of them. They feel more comfortable and confident expressing their personal sentiments one-on-one or in a small group than expressing group sentiments."
    .That bolded part is SO TRUE! I do hate situations where that is expected of me, like watching team sports! I will do it only when I absolutely have to, like when I used to watch my son's wrestling matches. But I do not do it well, and I don't like it.

I really wonder what other IEEs think of these descriptive excerpts printed above, or of anything else from DeLong's IEE type descrition. @applejacks? or @TJay? I realize, Jimmers, you are often thinking these days you are not IEE, but I am have not yet given up on IEE as a possibility for you yet, so, I wonder if you think these descriptions fit for you. Also any other IEEs here, I woudl be interested in your thoughts if you have them on this.

Recently I also read, from our article treasure trove here, about what we IEEs would be like if we married each other. It is very humorous, especially, if, but for the grace of God, we were pagans seeking to discover our own "happiness" in our own way, minus values that would prevent us from going this way. Here we be, IEEs, but for the grace of God: - http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Stratiyevskaya
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 06-29-2015 at 10:01 PM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DeLong on SLI

I also found DeLong's article great on ISTp/SLIs, here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...by-Rick-DeLong

He begins: "SLI in a nutshell

The SLI is an experience-oriented type that welcomes adventure and new impressions while maintaining sensory balance and internal integrity. The SLI strives to maximize enjoyment, ease, and utility while preserving autonomy from strong emotional stimuli."

Its a good article, and short.

Other highlights:

- Ultimately, the SLI is most interested in building a world where he and those close to him can be comfortable and have their needs met.
    (This makes beign married to SLI very nice).

" SLIs typically empathize with those who are in need and usually are quick to respond to genuine signs of helplessness and neediness. "

My SLI dh sees my signs of distress I don't even know are showing and jumps in to help. Such a contrast to my first long marraige, where even explicit and careful communication of my deepest needs got ignored...

This is interesting: "SLIs are attentive to the day-to-day behavior patterns, lifestyles, and tastes and preferences of those around them, as well as what and how they eat, how they dress, how they respond to different stimuli, and many other details of their physical existence. Only when they have directly experienced these aspects of a person do they feel that they truly know them. Contrast this to ethical extratims who can come to know people well through emotional interaction (conversation) in a matter of hours. The SLI's mechanism is slow, but thorough; SLIs are limited in how many people they can know well, but they learn about them "inside out."" I really do feel that my husband knows me, like no one else ever has, and its wonderful. It truly makes me feel validated. The invalidation that was a main theme in my life for as long as I remeber just is not a theme any more at all. My ex, when I would try to get him to understand even some small aspect, would act like to think of such a thing was a huge imposition on him. In contrast, my dh acts as it its an extremely interesting discovery! And he remembers it, even if I mentioned it only once and a long time ago.

" SLIs tend to feel distant from all people whom they do not physically interact with on a day-to-day basis. As soon as they begin to interact with a person on a near-daily basis, that person begins to occupy their consciousness and affect their inner life. In contrast, many other types are able to effectively ignore people around them and keep distant others in their thoughts. "
    The former, yes, thats my SLI. The latter - oh dear, I'm guilty as charged. Good thing life w/ SLI helps me stay in the present.

"Despite their often emotionless and indifferent exterior, SLIs are fun-loving and adventurous. They feel most comfortable interacting with people informally in situations with some physical or hands-on component, such as watching at something together, building something, walking around, touching things, or otherwise involving their senses and body. "
    Yup, that's SLI.

All SLIs share an affinity for simplicity -- a reduction of all that is extraneous, superfluous, unused, unneeded.... It is almost impossible to get an SLI to do something that is more complicated than what he is already doing." LOL, this is true. I am oten trying to get dh to do things a bit less basically - like close the snack bag you opened; don't leave it on the counter open for if you want more later, put plastic over food before you put it in the fridge.. ther are other things; I have a lot of just-rioght ways I like to do things. SLI is tolerant, but he does need to know why this more complicated way is necessary!

Like, dh likes to say that "'Eliza' is so picky about eggs she won't accept them unless she lays them herself!" Yes, basically, I want them free-range and I try to pick them up at the local farm. We have a summer farm market right here in town but it doesn't start til July. Yesterday after Mass I wanted to drive the 5 mile trip to that farm (plus 5 miles back) to get eggs because we were out (and we have eggs after Mass for breakfast). SLI put up a fuss - the local grocery store is right on the way home! No, I did not even want Eggland's Best - which are so inferior to free-range, what a poor choice, especially now that summer is here and you can see the farm chickens happily scratching about the green field. But I did not want to make a scene about it... he was ranting how this is not right - 10 miles of driving for eggs! I did not want to press it (he rants so rarely), so I said: Okay, you can go back out and get Egglands if that's what you want. And he did - he went right back out, happy to stop this more-complicated, wasteful (in his mind) way of obtaining eggs!

(And I will be sure to get to that weekly farm market now, and stay stocked up on good eggs!)

"SLIs easily lose their clarity of thought when people direct anger and negative emotions at them, and discord in their personal relationships makes them feel depressed and helpless."

In this way I could see my husband's SEE daughter was so hard on him when she lived here. Since I, like an IEE, keep my negative emotions to myself as I work them out with myself, he doesn't get that from me. But I do try to help him see that his SEE daughter (who is not here now, and is now in a much better phase of life, not needing to vent so much) is a person who just needs to vent from time to time, and not to take it personally, and I remind him how she always gets over it, and I do that think that has helped him with negative emotions and anxieties about relating with her (he once wanted to move to NY where I was, instead of here, in order to avoid that stress)..

". They prefer an atmosphere of polite good will or at least businesslike emotional neutrality and tire of strong emotions such as anxiety, worry, or bad feelings between people, but also euphoria and overenthusiasm."
    .. and this is how an IEE is naturally - emotional neutrality is what you can expect from them, because when they feel big and especially negative emotions - anxiety, worry, bad feelings - they need to work it out alone, which has to do with Fi in the 2nd function...

"To get through to an SLI, give him personal sensory experience (introverted sensing), a dispassioned account of the facts (extraverted logic), fascinating prospects (extraverted intuition), or a warm and sensitive attitude (introverted ethics)." In other words, if you are IEE, just be yourself!

[ @Waster - do you like DeLong's SLI description?]

(I tried to find a DeLong article on INFj and ESTj but I did not find one).

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning colors for my upcoming painting project that won't start probably till September. The luscious Fine Paints of Europe high gloss paint, which has to be perfectly applied on a perfectly-prepared foundation, is what I want to use for our new (and first) front door, and perhaps a even gloss portico floor and satin portico walls! (I haven't priced it yet; I only know its not cheap, though it LASTS and lasts ... some paint might have to wait a season).

So I was just reading a paint reviewer of fine paint, who concluded this:

The only stand-out difference was, suitably enough, the colours themselves. The more expensive paints had a noticeably knocked-back, muckier look: they glanced sidelong from beneath lowered lashes, while the cheaper paints just glared.

Yes! Exactly that!

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Maritsa

How is your father doing since his surgery in April?
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning colors for my upcoming painting project that won't start probably till September. The luscious Fine Paints of Europe high gloss paint, which has to be perfectly applied on a perfectly-prepared foundation, is what I want to use for our new (and first) front door, and perhaps a even gloss portico floor and satin portico walls! (I haven't priced it yet; I only know its not cheap, though it LASTS and lasts ... some paint might have to wait a season).

The only stand-out difference was, suitably enough, the colours themselves. The more expensive paints had a noticeably knocked-back, muckier look: they glanced sidelong from beneath lowered lashes, while the cheaper paints just glared.

Yes! Exactly that!
    Will you post pictures of your door after youve painted it?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    @Maritsa

How is your father doing since his surgery in April?
    He's awake and eating but is fighting another infection, a bed soar with a nasty bacteria. He was quarantined for it for a while but it's slowly getting better. He sits in a wheelchair for an hr each day...that's all he can do for now.
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's awake and eating but is fighting another infection, a bed soar with a nasty bacteria. He was quarantined for it for a while but it's slowly getting better. He sits in a wheelchair for an hr each day...that's all he can do for now.
    I am glad he is no longer in quarantine and is getting better, even if it is slowly.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will you post pictures of your door after you've painted it?
    Yes! My husband has only so far roofed and framed the room extension and hasn't even started the portico where the door will go (but that's next). So we haven't even picked the door ( have something simple in mind for our simple house, but I get to choose from the biggest stockroom in the U.S.A. [that's what they say of themselves]). So painting will happen in the fall. But I'll post!

[Maybe I'll post some during-construction progress pics, for those who enjoy that, like I do].

I have a Houzz.com account where I (and legion others) collect pics of all-things "home". You might like that if you don't know about it already.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OOooh @Eliza Thomason I did not know about that site until your link. Thank you!

I have this weird obsession with doors. I cannot wait to see yours. I think it is exciting that you have such a large selection to choose from.
    That would be so cool imo hahhaha.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

OOooh @Eliza Thomason I did not know about that site until your link. Thank you!

I have this weird obsession with doors. I cannot wait to see yours. I think it is exciting that you have such a large selection to choose from.
    That would be so cool imo hahhaha.
    You would enjy curb side tours of upscale neighborhoods in LA. People can get very creative with doors
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes! Exactly that!
    Hummm you should have been at the bank with me last week. I could not ask the teller to place the receipts outside the envelope. I don't know. ..I....froze (?) Colors... I like a crrtain tone of blue with goldit may make you feel blue as in sad.
    -

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

For first time ever im reading the classic Sherlock Holmes and it's like watching my bf talk. It gave me such a strange feeling.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm an autodidact so I taught myself how to play chess and beat the computer 5 times. Now it's taught itself and has become smart. I'm beginning to lose. I blame the computer brainiacs for this.
    -

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our porch-to-a-room project is coming along slowly. We have been working on boring things like how to insulate, which windows at a good price insulate well, and prepping the floor for electric...all time-consuming and slow. Dh has wired pulled out all over the porch, in an organized-looking way, as he creates the wiring new plan, and repairs mistakes in the old that he uncovered. He is and autodidact, too, @Maritsa, and there has been lots to learn on this project....

But excitement today when the UPS truck came with lamps that will flank the new door on the new portico porch! [The door won't arrive till October, which I will paint as I described earlier, as soon as I am able to create a dust-free work area.] The lights are as lovely as I'd hoped! They are a very soft look, simple and vintage-classic, which is my design theme, as I am going with soft-look colors of paint, rounded belly balusters supporting the side railings, and the rounded arch above, which my amazing husband figured out how to do when I asked, even though there is little room for it... Well I found these absolutely-perfect-but-too-expensive wall lights, and then searched and found them at 78% off with free shipping online! Making them affordable! I am happy. We took one out of the box today to see where it should hang, and how it looked, and my husband held it up for me. I told him these lights look like someone came to the door carrying a lantern and hung it there Here they are:

FS-OLPL7502GBZ.jpg

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Sol what is your typing of me?
    -

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sol what is your typing of me?
    This'll be fun.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

http://imgur.com/L4sczax for VI @Sol. What do you think?
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Lately I am enjoying reading from our 16types's wealth of info in the "Articles" section. I find Rick DeLong's description of IEE very spot-on. He ends with a description of our Id block: introverted intuition Ni, blocked with extroverted ethics Fe. Here are highlights of that, that are so true of me:

"Occasionally – most often when they are alone – IEEs fall into a dreamy, reflective, and introspective state where they suddenly lose all interest in pursuing external goals and stimuli. This is a good state for writing something poetic or allegorical, for composing or improvising music, writing an introspective diary entry, or doing something else creative slowly and methodically. These states are satisfyingly creative..."

This is SO TRUE of me. I do have a need to have this states periodically, and I love working out creative ideas - which are almost always artwork or writing, but, though I am not educated musically, I even, in a very rudimentary way, occasionally get sidetracked "composing" in a relaxed and attentive way on a glockenspiel I bought for my son years ago.

"IEEs are warm and friendly, but not usually very externally animated or loud. However, they can become very animated and expressive for brief periods of time, imitating other people, modulating their voices like types with strong extroverted ethics, and acting out situations using rich facial expressions, body movements, and intonation. IEEs may seem naturally gifted at this, but they do not keep it up for very long and quickly revert to their usual calm, upbeat, smiling selves. For them, introverted intuition and extroverted ethics states are unusual, altered states of consciousness and, while IEEs show some competency in them, they are not a big part of their day-to-day lives."

Yes. For sure I am not usually animated or loud. My SLI husband really quite seems louder than me. I think because he is 9w8, and that 8 part of him is just verbose and loud at times, that is, when he is home with me, home where we are both completely comfortable being ourselves. For sure, I can, in certain situations turn on an extroverted public persona as described by DeLong of IEE. I call on that, when teaching, a lot. I also have called on it in job interviews, and intend to do that soon, as I will be interviewing this summer. But it is not my everyday-way, for sure. 'Everyday' is quiet, calm, upbeat and pretty much smiling, yes. I used to be a more constant smiler; that was often remarked on. I got a little "sober" after my divorce, with the struggles of single-mom life and being hit with some realities of life - I just got more serious. But I am getting back to habitual smiling more these days.

"IEEs usually feel awkward and shy when other people are very emotionally animate or verbally profuse around them, especially if they direct their emotional displays at the IEE. IEEs have a hard time expressing genuine emotional involvement and excitement (for example, jumping in the air and shouting “yippee” as you clap your hands) and don’t like situations where this kind of excitement and team spirit is expected of them. They feel more comfortable and confident expressing their personal sentiments one-on-one or in a small group than expressing group sentiments."
    .That bolded part is SO TRUE! I do hate situations where that is expected of me, like watching team sports! I will do it only when I absolutely have to, like when I used to watch my son's wrestling matches. But I do not do it well, and I don't like it.

I really wonder what other IEEs think of these descriptive excerpts printed above, or of anything else from DeLong's IEE type descrition. @applejacks? or @TJay? I realize, Jimmers, you are often thinking these days you are not IEE, but I am have not yet given up on IEE as a possibility for you yet, so, I wonder if you think these descriptions fit for you. Also any other IEEs here, I woudl be interested in your thoughts if you have them on this.

Recently I also read, from our article treasure trove here, about what we IEEs would be like if we married each other. It is very humorous, especially, if, but for the grace of God, we were pagans seeking to discover our own "happiness" in our own way, minus values that would prevent us from going this way. Here we be, IEEs, but for the grace of God: - http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Stratiyevskaya
    You are far far calmer and less willing to react when someone says something that is against logic than I have found in SEE types. And you don't jump to criticism first. But at extremes you are far more likely to walk away from conflict though holding out far more than I can in your "I can explain you further" dialogue
    -