Thread: Common misconceptions about Enneagram type 5s

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Common misconceptions about Enneagram type 5s

All Fives are introverts

WRONG. Though most of them are (I think, 83% of them). Pres Fives and Social Fives are usually introverts, but Intimate Fives may be extroverts.

All Fives are quiet or reserved

WRONG. Though most of them are, some of them are pretty much outgoing. Again, I'm mostly thinking of Intimate Fives. For example, I'm not comfortable about being quiet.

Fives lack empathy or kindness

WRONG. OK, us Fives aren't hippies, but we're not ****** or Stalin. Fives are still more friendly than Sixes or Eights.

Fives are unassertive

WRONG. Again, Fives aren't ****** or Stalin, but usually don't really allow others to take them for granted unless really fucked up (i.e. ego Level 04 or less). They aren't going to join gangs, but are still able to defend themselves socially.

All Fives are soft-spoken

WRONG. Some Fives may be pretty loud. For example, my voice is like I'm E3.

All Fives are absent-minded

WRONG. But Sensing Fives are unfrequent. For example, there are cases of SLI's.

Fives are unable to lead others

WRONG. Fives are quite frequent in businesses. They're not pushy, but are usually bossy and pragmatic, like Ones or Threes, except that they have a low energy level, and therefore, they don't drive others. Most people find more comfortable to be led by Fives than Sixes or Eights.

All Fives are reclusive

WRONG. They may look reclusive because they lack motivation. This includes motivation to expand themselves socially. This may lead to actual reclusiveness. But they're not "reclusive" by their nature. If they're not motivated for non-physiological reasons, they usually remain withdrawn.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

machintruc, I don't actually think you're a Five. I think you want to be. I think you could easily be a counterphobic Six reacting against your own type - one with a Five wing - or a Eight even; one with strong ideals. Or, even, a One or Three. Please do consider these. It just seems like you're starting with the premise that you're a Five and trying to make everything fit, when it clearly doesn't.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    machintruc, I don't actually think you're a Five. I think you want to be. I think you could easily be a counterphobic Six reacting against your own type - one with a Five wing - or a Eight even; one with strong ideals. Or, even, a One or Three. Please do consider these. It just seems like you're starting with the premise that you're a Five and trying to make everything fit, when it clearly doesn't.
    I can't be E6, because I'm S0, not S- ; I can't be E8 for the same reasons.

I can't be E1 or E3, because I lack motivation for physiological reasons (D-). I'd really like to do things in life, especially because of strong .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    I can't be E6, because I'm S0, not S- ; I can't be E8 for the same reasons.

I can't be E1 or E3, because I lack motivation for physiological reasons (D-). I'd really like to do things in life, especially because of strong .
    Thus spoke Alpha Ti.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Of course he is not a Five. And of course he is not a LII either. It's so obvious that he is neither that it shouldn't have to be pointed out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa View Post
    I suspect that machintruc is an LSI-6w5.
    LSI's can't be Sixes, but LII's can.

I'm not LSI, because I really suck at .

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be all , but I do think that D- seems kind of incompatible with in the ego block...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm pretty sure you're LII.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa View Post
    I see no reason why LSIs can't be Sixes.
    I see no [fucking] reason why they can.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    I see no [fucking] reason why they can.
    Well, you don't seem to see any [good] reason.