Thread: INFjs/ENFps saying what you think

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFjs/ENFps saying what you think

Another question. Do any of you think you censor yourselves more than other people censor themselves?

When I look at how others comment on these forums, they can be very snarky. Now I think many snarky thoughts, and I often type snarky comments (and erase them). I typically share a lot of my snarks with my friends. I can be quite cutting, sarcastic, and good at insults. But I can't bring myself to speak this way in "mixed company". At worst, I become almost artificially formal and keep a lot of thoughts to myself.

Should I try?
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My behavior typically has me gauging the environment and what parts of myself I would feel comfortable with exposing and others parts to keep to myself. Also, I am mindful of consequences to things I say and do, so if I find there will be more negative consequences to saying a certain thing, I'll keep it to myself. So I'll be acting differently with different because because I have different comfort levels with different crowds I do act too formal at first when I'm not comfortable or whatever, but don't really like it, I prefer to be with people I can be completely myself with.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, the question is what would you gain by throwing snarky comments? I don't know what kind of feedback I would get that's actually useful if I did that.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i'm not in control of my emotions and I'm really annoyed, sarcastic quips tend to come out of me. Otherwise, I show a lot of restraint about what I say when I'm around people.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    For me, the question is what would you gain by throwing snarky comments? I don't know what kind of feedback I would get that's actually useful if I did that.
    The relief of not feeling like I've been walked over because I held back when others don't?
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    The relief of not feeling like I've been walked over because I held back when others don't?
    Hmmm. Well, I have a kung fu style mentality when people say mean comments to me. I try to redirect their negative energy back to them, and never be the one to start it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like you, Danielle, I think of a lot of snarky comments but eventually delete them. Sometimes, though, I let some slip in this forum. In real life, I am an honest person and have a reputation of being one. So much so that whenever I do say something bluntly most people, rather than seeing it as a snarky remark, see it as a genuine commentary without any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereno
    Moreso than feeling that you haven't been walked all over, to me, is to let them know that they are either behaving foolishly or saying something without putting serious thought into it.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question. Do any of you think you censor yourselves more than other people censor themselves?

When I look at how others comment on these forums, they can be very snarky. Now I think many snarky thoughts, and I often type snarky comments (and erase them). I typically share a lot of my snarks with my friends. I can be quite cutting, sarcastic, and good at insults. But I can't bring myself to speak this way in "mixed company". At worst, I become almost artificially formal and keep a lot of thoughts to myself.

Should I try?
    Should you try to what?
    All of that seems kind of natural. Not everybody says everything on their mind, and some people are more private about their thoughts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to answer the op

it depends. If I know you really well I wil say exactly what is on my mind. Good and bad.

If I'm not that close with you I wont bother to start with. Neither to tell you when I disagree with what you are saying, nor to tell too much about myself. I will most likely not criticize you either. In the end I wil just talk and talk and talk and end up saying everything anyways This is what usually happens, but I will initially try to hold back a little
    n00bIEE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I say what I want. Sometimes I want to say WAY more than what I want, so yes I sequester my wild, out of control self a bit. IDK, this is universal to everyone depends on where, when, what, how etc of what's going on and who they are communicating with.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I censor myself quite a bit. I wish I didn't so much. Then there is my sister; she's very, very blunt, and it can be off-putting. Rather ironic.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Not as much as some, and not in attempts to deceive. But when I look at how the average person expresses themselves I seem to hold back more on average than they do. Or at least am more silent on some matters and in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    so what would you do? maybe generalizing this to Delta NF.

i've found it really upsets me letting out what i really think when negative. not to mention it comes out undiplomatic etc.
    Yeah, that's one reason to hold back, sure.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    Are you referring to (or implying) other reasons? I can personally think of several more, but what i mentioned is the most immediately easy to assess for me.

Others would refer to potential consequences. And still more to the veracity of the statement - coz even if there's strong distaste there's also some degree of other sentiments present. What do you think?
    Well, you're right that spouting off my internal negativity can sort of prolong and deepen it, both for myself and others. But, yeah, there are others, like consequences (which you mention). Though "consequences" is a really broad term. Depending on the circumstances, expressing my angst might prevent or divert whatever positive trends might be happening. For example, say there's some interpersonal conflict happening in a work environment. There could be people talking and working toward (what might be a resolution) but if I interject with how I'm feeling that could derail things, especially if I'm in any sort of leadership position. (Being a leader, either officially or via simple respect, makes a difference in how I feel I can express myself, too.)

Also, if I'm feeling badly toward someone, it seems if I tell other people how I feel about them it can end up being destructive long-term - like if they become better then I've spread bad feelings about them. Or it could just be my perspective at the time. Or I could even just be overreacting. So while it can be tempting at times to just be "ARGH they're driving me crazy and are such and such and do these horrible things" I do tend to try to hold back on that.

I find I hold back not just on negativity, but generally speaking, including positive emotions and thoughts. Sometimes (usually?) I feel like I don't want to impose my emotional state on others - they have their own plus enough to deal with as it is. It depends on the people and the circumstances, of course. With some people I feel freer to express my internal state; I've noticed closeness isn't always the determining factor, though...
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snark is what makes my world go 'round, go ahead and give it a shot!

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi types in general "censor" themselves as you say. I noticed it one day when I went to the university and there was this pushy SEE around. He started rubbing me the wrong way but I didn't need to tell him anything, he just stopped it when he noticed I started to get angry.

I love black humor, I just dislike merry types doing it. They are so focused into preserving the mood that it quickly turns into abuse. In general, bullying is a Fe issue.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    In general, bullying is a Fe issue.
    Not really. There are different kinds of bullying. You can bully someone physically, by shunning them from the group (for Fe or for Fi reasons), by trying to make them feel like scum for a certain habit or belief, by constantly saying how stupid they are... it's a pretty long list.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, everything qualifies as bullying then...
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Yeah, everything qualifies as bullying then...
    Your point was incorrect, and I explained why. No need to be dramatic about it.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very acutely aware of other people's reactions to what I say. My thoughts can get turbulent, and more blunt than anything I would ever say. I also have dreams where I say some snarky things I would never say IRL, and I'm shocked I even said them in the dreamworld. A lot of the time, I don't say much/anything, and only open my mouth if I thought in advanced. I am very socially awkward though, and it comes out the wrong way. It's so much that case that I spend time planning ahead how to interact with people, wondering what their response will be. It's not always so cut-and-dry and people are not that predictable.

If I had something I wanted to say, and someone else has something to bring to the table, I ask them what they were going to say first. Self censoring is a big thing with me, and backtracking, explaining what I actually meant if the wrong thing came out. I don't want to rock the boat, or throw the mood at a 180. I don't always directly ask "what do you think" but I have something like that in my mind, as an underlying mantra when interacting with people.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snarky comments are often on the tip of my tongue but I stop myself from saying them either irl or online to avoid hurt feelings. But when I'm annoyed with someone so much, I react without thinking and tell them the truth, but to people it sounds more funny than cutting, even though I am so damn serious.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Self-censorship is a sign of maturity. "Snarky thoughts" are emotions that should be kept out of the issues that are being discussed. Personal attacks or unrelated subjects are often injected into discussions when the intent is to move, hijack or derail the conversation. Some people are egocentric and angry enough to try to make discussions all about them or their biases or their hates. The most popular way to make it personal seems to be by playing silly-bugger, which is rather juvenile; however, I've witnessed such behaviour in all levels of management and it seems especially indicative of numerous elected officials.

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 04-21-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: inserted "of"

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For IEEs, it depends on how angry or envious they are, but if they're not angry or envious then they're excessively tactful; they don't even do it out of annoyance about stupidity but simply due to ethics and peoples' feelings, as they really don't care about details and I think them not speaking their mind on things like that and not getting annoyed over stupidity makes them look kind of dumb. Usually when they criticize a thing, it's really quite personal about an ethnic group they don't like; they're pretty rigid about what they will buy or won't buy or even use based upon what country it's from (simply due to their dislike of those people) although EIE and even SLE can be that way (although with the SLE it's more likely to be out of loyalty to their country). And EIE and SLE aren't quite as rigid as IEEs are about imports and the two former will definitely spend a lot of money on something they used to say they didn't like (especially if they think it projects a better self-image) while IEEs are pretty cheap. IEEs will go out of their way to deny themselves pleasure without having any understanding of what they're rejecting. It's nuts how both IEE and ILE-Ti are Ne bases, as IEE are nowhere near as open-minded as their ILE-Ti half-sisters from different mothers (although ILE-Ti don't talk much about things they've bought even though they get a lot of pleasure from them).

EII pay more attention to detail and are way better at expressing themselves when they do criticize someone; it's still just as personal though. Many are adept with Ti so they're more reasonable when withholding and issuing criticism than IEEs are.

Magical girl (◠‿・)—☆ ShiningLunette's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't hold back because i don't typically have these snarky or rude thoughts (i don't even understand the need to be snarky or rude tbh).. i try to be kind simply because it's important to me internally to display kindness because thats the kind of person I'm aspiring to be, also because i would want to treat others the way i want to be treated.
    Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people.

Magical girl (◠‿・)—☆ ShiningLunette's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    In real life, I am an honest person and have a reputation of being one. So much so that whenever I do say something bluntly most people, rather than seeing it as a snarky remark, see it as a genuine commentary without any malicious intent.
    i relate to that. This has been my life experience as well.
    Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people.