View Poll Results: What type do you think I am?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • E1

1 12.50%
  • E2

0 0%
  • E3

1 12.50%
  • E4

0 0%
  • E5

0 0%
  • E6

1 12.50%
  • E7

0 0%
  • E8

1 12.50%
  • E9

4 50.00%

Thread: My Enneagram type.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default My Enneagram type.

I'm not sure whether I'm a 6w7 or 9w1. I'm starting to wonder if I'm really that reactive of a person, although some things I've written/done probably say otherwise. I identify with certain aspects of 9, like merging, and identifying with people that seem stronger, more intellegent, interesting, etc. while not really wanting to prop myself up in a way that's obvious. I'm not neglectful of myself though. I can be self-possessed in my actions, but when I really think about it, I don't think I'm that exceptional or complicated of a person and I'm fine with that. I can stay calm in semi-dangerous situations, and assume if someone decides to do something that's out of my control, and there's no point in getting nervous and you should just do whatever it is you were going to do, whether it means staying put, walking past them, walking away, diverting eye contact, etc. But the fact that I notice these situations in the first place could be indicative of 6.

When it comes to some arguments, I feel like I would want to just lay it all out once or twice and leave it at that. Do whatever it is I think I need to do; cut them off, put them on ignore, whatever. The whole he-said, she-said thing is exhausting. I can't keep up with it. There are either tangible consequences, or there aren't.

What do you think, based on what I've shown on here?
    Last edited by suedehead; 08-11-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know you well to have any strong impression about your motivations but withdrawn immediately comes to mind

why not 4?

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think you're a 1 cuz you seem very unhappy and have got strong 1ish and 4ish traits but not many 2ish ones

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    why not 4?
    I haven't considered it in a while. I doubt it at this point. There was a period where I thought I related to the description, but it was superficial.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bump.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say two people around you are in a heated argument. How do you react?

Say you're living paycheck to paycheck and you get fired from your job. How do you react?

Someone rear ends you and drives off. Your car is fucked up. ...?

And how about you talk about some real reactions of yours in the past when things weren't going your way?
    How did you feel, how did you act, and what was the actual situation that caused things to be out of whack for you?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elina View Post
    Say two people around you are in a heated argument. How do you react?

Depends on who it is, and what it's about. If it has nothing to do with me or I just don't know either of them well enough, I'll stay out of it. There might be someone that I side with more, so that's also a factor, but I'm not always going to say it out loud.

Say you're living paycheck to paycheck and you get fired from your job. How do you react?

I'd probably be stressed out and try to find a new job before I get kicked out? I'm not sure how that would work. What else could you do?

Someone rear ends you and drives off. Your car is fucked up. ...?

File a police report? I'd be angry about the fact that I have to suddenly deal with this complicated situation and figure a bunch of stuff out. The damage obviously too.

And how about you talk about some real reactions of yours in the past when things weren't going your way?

I'd get frustrated, and I would sometimes give up or numb myself by doing the least possible and indulging in bad habits like food and the internet. Eventually, whether it's the next day or even just a couple hours after, I'd try get out of it and think of ways to solve the situation, or just my outlook. I'm better at doing the latter now.

How did you feel, how did you act, and what was the actual situation that caused things to be out of whack for you?

I won't get into the specifics because it's personal, but I just felt numb and did a lot of the things I mentioned in my last answer.
    Last edited by suedehead; 08-18-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if the two people arguing around you are people you know? Say one is an acquaintance, and one is a bit closer of a friend.

And before getting the police report how would u feel in that moment having realized someone just hit and ran on you and fucked your car up?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

what if the two people arguing around you are people you know? Say one is an acquaintance, and one is a bit closer of a friend.

I don't always have to agree with a friend. If I think the close friend is in the wrong and it's just like a minor disagreement and not like they're doing something really fucked up to the other person, I'll probably just wait it out or say something sort of neutral or quick and to the point to get it to stop. I think that's what I've done in the past. I'm not intimidated by people arguing, and I don't think I always need to get directly involved. If I'm compelled to, I might address it afterwards. I don't know, this question is kind of hard for me to answer.

And before getting the police report how would u feel in that moment having realized someone just hit and ran on you and fucked your car up?

Mad and maybe anxious to figure out what I can do about it or if I can make out some part of the license plate number if they haven't gotten far away.
    Last edited by suedehead; 08-18-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From your answers it sounds kind of e9ish, but it's still not enough to be sure.
    I'm an e9 and I get more frustrated/annoyed/discouraged rather than anxious most of the time. Only when something rly stressful happens to e9s do they actually feel strong anxiety/nervousness, cause they disintegrate into 6ish behavior at that point.
    When someone did a hit and run on me, which involved other cars, someone from the other car called the police and while we waited for the police to get there I felt discouraged and frustrated about it. Not really anxious at all though. I think with e9s there's sometimes a feeling of powerlessness and discouragement when things happen to them. They get passive, cause they don't think their actions will matter enough. So if that's relatable to you that could be a clue.
    Also the way you said you'd handle the disagreement is pretty e9ish. Idk for sure but I know sixes can be pretty loyal, so they'd prbly stand up for their friend, possibly even if the friend was wrong. Also e6es are more reactive and little things around them can throw them off, so they'd prbly get in the argument somehow, and not be able to be completely passive.
    I'm not an expert on e6es though.
    Anyway, enneagram is pretty personal and hard to pin on someone else cause it's more about how you react to conflict, and what your defense mechanism is. So it's hard to tell over text interaction.
    I'd just monitor your reaction in stressful situations you might find yourself in the near future.
    But from what you've said the numbing yourself and the passiveness sounds e9ish

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i'll say 3w4 sp/so

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any guesses on tritype?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

If you are 469, you are intuitive, inquisitive and accepting. You want to be original, certain and peaceful. You are very sensitive and can experience intense feelings of self-doubt and uncertainty. As a result you need multiple sources of confirmation. You want to be individualistic but can fear being separate from others. Your life mission is to raise the questions pertaining to the mysteries of life and share your findings with others.
    *pretty certain of their uncertainty*. 4, 6 and 9 are the types in each center that frequently experience 'doubt'. When these three types come together in an archetype, we get a triple doubting tritype.
    sp/sx

remember what I told you once...five years...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surabsur, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: blablblah.

Sorry, can't reply to you via visitor message, Aylen. Gays be censoring me.

And I only have had few beers and a bit moonshine. Totally unfair.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post

sp/sx

remember what I told you once...five years...
    What pushes me away from 4 as am image-fix is that I often feel hollow compared to some people, when it comes to my tastes and how I like to present myself. When it look at my taste in music or films, or even the way I dress or like to carry myself or even I obsess over consistency, symmetry, precision, subtlety, etc. and sometimes it feels like it all ends up having this flattened effect, like there's no soul there. As if I'd like to believe that I have some 4-ish qualities, when I just don't or I go about it in some half-assed way that still comes out of a need to feel attractive, impressive, etc.

I haven't gotten that impression from 4's or 4-fixers, I see the difference in a vague way, which is why I thought 3w4 was closer. The 4-6-9 description fits to an extent.
    Last edited by suedehead; 11-17-2014 at 02:38 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    What pushes me away from 4 as am image-fix is that I often feel hollow compared to some people, when it comes to my tastes and how I like to present myself. When it look at my taste in music or films, or even the way I dress or like to carry myself or even I obsess over consistency, symmetry, precision, subtlety, etc. and sometimes it feels like it all ends up having this flattened effect, like there's no soul there, even when I swear that there is. It's weird when I think too much about it and I know most of it's bullshit, but I haven't gotten that impression from 4's or 4-fixers, I see the difference, which is why I thought 3w4 was closer. The 4-6-9 description fits to an extent.
    But you still have some doubts?

I usually try not to compare myself to anyone else but I do find unexpected similarities with 4s. It is probably a 4ish type thing to not want to see where they are like other 4s, in certain ways, even if it is a "good" comparison. Sometimes I will point out how I am different instead even when I do see things clearly, it takes me awhile to admit certain things to others. I will pm you something later since I don't feel comfortable sharing too much in a thread. And I just woke up so I have to actually wake up my brain first.

There is "soul" there.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Could I be something in the hear triad as my core type (3w4/4w3)?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

is vanity your vice?

general description

Average 3/4 wants to be admired for unique presentation, not mass-marketed stereotypes. Unlike the 3/2s, who want everybody to admire them, 3/4s are more interested in securing the attention of a select following. The introspection of the four-wing makes them less comfortable than 3/2 in social situations, although the powerful threeish social grace usually hides it. Because threeish vanity is stronger than fourish emotionality, they usually manage to stay cool in times of stress, unlike the more emotionally volatile 4/3s.

balanced and transcendent states

Balanced 3/4 is gentle, compassionate, and smoothly effective. When three integrates to six and four integrates to one, a new sense of social responsibility combines with the wisdom that comes from emotional equanimity. Healthy 3/4s are effective at accomplishing real-world goals and intuitive enough to be good advisers. They make excellent business mentors or career counselors. They might be good at rescuing a failing company, or seeing that what is really needed is to break it up and sell the parts.

Extremely advanced 3/4 combines quiet self-assurance with deep emotional insight into other people's experiences. They may appear at the tops of large organizations devoted to improving life for everyone on the planet, or they may work quietly behind the scenes, spreading a sense of confidence and optimism among the members of their team. Wherever they go they leave behind a feeling of deep connection and belonging. They are subtle teachers who set an example of compassionate action.

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Unbalanced 3/4 hides loss of self-worth behind a veneer of artificial coolness. If the success-orientation of the three becomes too compulsive, and the fourish introspection gets out of hand, 3/4s lose their genuineness. They become less socially adept, and somewhat manipulative, as their fourish self-dislike leads to a twoish desire to reinforce self-image by "helping" others. The self-deceptive pride that results is hidden behind emotional deadening as three pulls in the worst of nine. Such people can be difficult to like, because of the way they constantly remind themselves and others of their own accomplishments.

In the worst case, 3/4 is capable of atrocities, just like 3/2, except that because of the greater self-examination of the four-wing, such crimes are more likely to be isolated cases. 3/4 can be rather self-destructive as all the normal rules of social conduct are abandoned in an attempt to generate attention of any kind from others. In the deepest psychosis, mass-murder-suicides are possible. Everyone else gets to be famous, but not me. But watch! I'll get my fifteen minutes, when they see what I have done. Just wait. I'll show them.

physical appearance

3/4s are interested in appearing attractive and sexy, because they are threes, but the four-wing makes them also want to be unique. Their overall appearance usually includes elements that set them apart from the crowd. 3/4s usually want to set the next fashion, rather than following the current one. Fourish sensitivity to aesthetics and form gives them a subtlety and flair that 3/2s usually seem to lack. Like 4/3s, they want to inject a bit of drama into their presentation.

callings

Some 3/4s find work that shows them to the world in a unique but culturally acceptable way. Leading-edge pop singers, actors, politicians, and talk-show hosts. Others succeed by mastering the corporate world, becoming CEOs, entrepeneurs, fashion consultants. They might be in retail sales, insurance, real estate, or commodities. There are 3/4 computer technicians, auto mechanics, novelists, and artists. Of course, 3/4s can also be found doing many other kinds of work.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    is vanity your vice?

I don't think so, but someone suggested it. Envy makes sense, but that's probably too literal. What do you think my main vice is?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I don't think so, but someone suggested it. Envy makes sense, but that's probably too literal. What do you think my main vice is?
    Envy, but not a bad thing.

YWIMW

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yeah, it could definitely be. You're flowing between 3,6 and 9 all the time. I don't think you're core 9 or 1.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Feeling Centre (Types 2,3,4)

The types in the feeling centre have gifts and issues involving their emotions. When they are healthy and balanced, their use of emotion is constructive and especially beneficial to their relationships. When they are unhealthy, their emotions become imbalanced.

The essential qualities of this centre involve the deep connection with the intelligence of the heart. The heart is our source of feelings and emotional connection with others. It helps us recognize our love and value for ourselves and for others. Through feelings and value we understand our identity, who we (and others) really are.

At some point in their development, Twos, Threes, and Fours feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have lost contact with their value and with their identity. They adopt a false belief that they are worthless, leading to an underlying feeling of shame.

To compensate, the personality tries to create and maintain a personal identity that will overcome these feelings. This self-image is based on memories and interpretations from their past. By identifying with this self-image, they create a false sense of value. Twos, Threes, and Fours spend a great deal of energy seeking validation from others to affirm this self-image.

Unfortunately, others do not always recognize or pay enough attention to the self-image. As a result, Twos, Threes, and Fours may begin to experience their underlying feelings of shame. They may become hostile with others and express hatred of those who don't value them. Another problem is that by focusing exclusively on their created persona, they must reject some aspects of their true nature. For whatever reason, these aspects must remain hidden from others (and from themselves) because they are associated with qualities that render them worthless.
    The Thinking Centre (Types 5,6,7)

The types in the thinking centre have gifts and issues involving their thinking. When they are healthy and balanced, they have incredible keen insights and ideas. When they are unhealthy, their thinking becomes imbalanced.

The essential qualities of this centre involve the deep connection with the intelligence of the mind. The gifts of the mind include the ability to observe, perceive, and effortlessly understand. The mind also provides us with confidence and inner guidance.

At some point in their development, Fives, Sixes, and Sevens feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have lost contact with their inner guidance. They adopt a false belief that they have no inner support or confidence, leading to underlying feelings of fear and anxiety. They see the world as a threatening and uncertain place.
    To compensate, Fives, Sixes, and Sevens become very motivated to find sources of security and confidence. They try to anticipate and prepare for the future. They spend their time trying to find and maintain a sense of inner guidance and support. These types pursue mental strategies and/or belief systems to create a false sense of security against anxiety.
    Unfortunately, they do not always feel they have the security they need to combat their fear. As a result, their insecurity and anxiety increase. They seek methods to decrease their anxiety. They tend to be wary of authority and are generally cautious with relationships. They dislike uncertainty and want to be prepared for it, but have difficulty with closure.
    The Instinctive Centre (Types 8,9,1)

The types in the Instinctive Centre have gifts and issues involving their instinct. When they are healthy and balanced, their have strong relational skills with others and their environment. When they are unhealthy, their relationship skills become imbalanced.

The essential qualities of this Centre involves the deep connection with the intelligence of the body, their instinct. Instinct is a type of knowledge that is not often recognized. Our instincts involve our sense of vitality and assertion. Instinct involves our inner wants and our ability to assert them in a way that is consistent and harmonious with the world around us.

At some point in their development, Eights, Nines, and Ones feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have no sense of self and that they cannot assert their wants. Being unable to express themselves leads to an underlying feeling of rage.

To compensate, the personality tries to create and maintain a sense of self, where they are free to influence the world, but not be influenced by it. Consequently, the types in the instinctive Centre are motivated to find ways to feel autonomous and independent. One way to feel a sense of self is to carry tension in our bodies. Another is to create boundaries around us.

Unfortunately, when Eights, Nines, and Ones do not get the autonomy that they seek, their underlying feelings of rage rise up. They may become aggressive (in a way, proving their independence). They way become resistant to change, again to bolster feelings of autonomy.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Three in the Feeling Centre

Threes tend to project a self-image of the winner, someone who embodies the values of their community. Threes have a hard time getting in touch with their feelings -- they tend to push their feelings aside to make favourable impressions and to function efficiently and productively. Like Twos, Threes focus their self-image outward: because they desperately want the approval of others. Threes are always aware of what's important to others and they also focus their self-image inward to shape and adapt their persona to better match what is expected of them. Also, like Twos, Threes reject their authentic self in favour of a more valued identity. If Threes do not get the attention they demand from others, they are likely to promote themselves and their accomplishments (perhaps exaggerating or becoming untruthful). Increased levels of shame may erupt as hostility by insulting others and putting them down to (temporarily) feel superior.

The Four in the Feeling Centre

Fours tend to project a self-image of a mysterious, special, and unique individual. Fours under express their feelings, preferring indirect methods to share and communicate what they feel. Fours spend a great deal of energy directing their self-image inward. Fours are seeking their true identity and are trying to make sure that it is based on their inner feelings and imagination. Fours reject many of their positive qualities and common characteristics that they share with others (it's hard to be unique if you are like others). Fours seek attention through withdrawal (which may at first seem like a contradiction). Fours withdraw to pull others in (especially into their inner world). They want others to notice their depth of character and to obtain sympathy for what they feel is their unjust suffering. Fours believe that Life has dealt them a bad hand and their underlying feeling of shame may lead to hostility against Life (despair). In addition, they may feel hostility at their parents (or others in their past), themselves (for being defective), and at others (for not recognizing how special the Four is).
    The Nine in the Instinctive Centre

Nines are out of touch with their instinctual drives. Nines believe that expressing their views or asserting their needs will cause conflict or lack of harmony. Nines shut down most of their instincts by repressing and denying their own wants and needs. Nines try to maintain their autonomy by resisting change (both external pressures and passionate feelings). Nines often accommodate and go with the flow (in a sense giving up their independence), but they do so with the agreement to give the Nine her own space to do her own thing. If they don't get that space, their underlying rage may come out in passive-aggressive forms.

The One in the Instinctive Centre

Ones under express their instinct. Ones repress their inner wants and instincts with a strict superego-driven conscience. They resist their own feelings and wants through self-control (an inner boundary). Ones can maintain their autonomy by being perfect -- being above criticism. They also seek autonomy from their own feelings and wants. When Ones feel that they are losing their autonomy, their rage and aggression is directed inward through harsh self-criticism. Sometimes, they lose self-control and have outbursts of anger towards others.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Assertive Stance - Types 3, 7, 8
    This triad is seen as the ‘moving against’ stance. The types are very much focused on acting in a manner to gain what they desire. They are the types that think about what they want and then act do gain this. It’s this focus on the self that matches the Freudian association of the ego. To assert oneself is second nature.
    This is very obvious with type 8 as they assert themselves very often, sometimes to the point of aggression. For Type 7, the assertion is seen when they pursue new things, asserting their right to fun. Type 3 asserts itself in a more subtle sense, focusing more on their own goals. However, if one was to stand between them and these goals, they would stand up for themselves.
    The general advice for the Assertive Stance types is to be aware of the other people. The types can often act without thinking about how their actions are affecting people, sometimes with very negative consequences. It the simple notion of thinking before acting but also thinking about others before doing. It’s also interesting to note these types can sometimes have difficulty forming deep, meaningful relationships with people.

The Compliant Stance - Types 1, 2, 6
    When we talk of the types being compliant, it is a compliance to the superego. The focus is more on society and the people around them rather than themselves as seen with the assertive types. These people ‘move with’ others, focusing on feeling what is happening around them and then acting accordingly.
    For Type 2 this action is focused on people. The desire to help others and attend to their needs outweighs focusing on their own needs. Type 1 directs their focus to social standards. They act to maintain justice and preserve social law within their groups. Type 6 will act more towards their situation they are present within, constantly assessing its safety and working towards building a secure environment.
    For the Compliant Stance, sometimes its good to look inward at their own desires. Each type can be self-sacrificing in some way and so to be aware of how your own desires may not be in line with your society’s desires is important in acting in a way that can attend to both. Often, the Complaint Types can be very unaware of how their personal reasoning is heavily influenced by the communities they are involved in.
    The Withdrawn Stance - Types 4, 5, 9
    The Withdrawn Stance as the name suggests are those types that ‘move away’ from people. Here we find the types that focus on thinking and feeling, making them highly imaginative. It is hard to see how their Freudian assocation, the Id, can be linked with these distant types however Freud himself remarked that it was ‘thinkers and poets’ who were most in connection with their subconscious.
    Type 5 often withdraws the most physically, strongly asserting their need for privacy and withdrawing from the world. Type 4 withdraws socially, taking time to construct their own individuality separate from others. While Type 9 doesn’t necessarily physically withdraw from the world, they are guilty of zoning out with people, a mental withdrawal into an inner sanctum of being.
    Types of the Withdrawn Stance can all benefit from moving themselves into the world and really being present within it. Often the types can develop great skills and talents in their time by themselves but do not ever present these to the world, focusing rather on keeping it all to themselves. It is good to learn that using these skills and showing them to the world can be as rewarding as developing. The Withdrawn Stance also has a unique quirk in that they can feel a disconnect to their humanness, often feeling detached from their body and more present within their imagination and fantasy.
    Attachment Object Relation (Types 3,6,9)

People with the attachment object relation tend to have a sense of contentment that their needs (with people, situation, thinks) are being met. Their sense of self is based on being deeply attached to things perceived as good. To attach themselves, these types adapt their ways to be consistent with important people or things.

Threes

Threes adapt their self-image to be consistent with the expectations and values of others. Threes are aware of what is valued by their friends, family, coworkers, etc. and they strive to attain those values. That way, they can receive the attention and validation from others. Their sense of self is based on an attachment to their self-image of a successful, valuable person.

Sixes

Sixes adapt their belief systems to be consistent with those of an authority figure or system. Sixes doubt their own ability to cope with the world, so they seek security through another person or system. Their sense of self is based on an attachment or association and loyalty to important people or groups.

Nines

Nines adapt (or accommodate) their own wants and opinions to be consistent with those of others. Nines want peace, so why rock the boat? By going along with others, they can attain the harmony they seek. Nines base their sense of self on their attachment to their idealized (internalized harmonious) view of the world.

Frustration Object Relation (Types 1,4,7)

People with the frustration object relation know what will make them happy, but they feel they seldom have it. However, once they find the source of their happiness, they tend to become disappointed and disillusioned with it. As a result, they become frustrated as they begin their search again. Their sense of self is based on the search for an ideal. These types need to remember that they can find contentment by accepting their present experience.

Ones

Ones are searching for ideal autonomy. That means perfection and complete self-control. Ones focus on what's wrong or out of place in a given situation. They become frustrated when they see that things don't live up to their standards and when they feel obligated to improve everything. Their sense of self is based on this frustration - it shows that they still care about making things better.

Fours

Fours are searching for ideal attention -- a partner who completely understands and appreciates them. Fours focus on what's missing in others and in themselves. Despite their longing for an ideal partner, their actual partner has flaws and isn't quite what the Four is looking for. Fours seek validation and attention from others, but feel they must be different and distant from others to get it. As a result, their strategy for attention doesn't often work, leading to a sense of frustration that maintains their sense of self.

Sevens

Sevens are searching for ideal security and contentment. Sevens focus on the fun they are not having. The current experience isn't quite as fun as they hoped it would be. Their mind quickly jumps to opportunities and experiences that they could be having rather than the one they are currently experiencing. Sevens get frustrated with the present and seek security in the future. Their sense of self is based on the search rather than on the experience.

Rejection Object Relation (Types 2,5,8)

People with the rejection object relation feel that they have been rejected by others. Others don't care about their needs, so they reject their own needs too. Consequently, their relationships often have issues of not wanting to be nurtured or touched. Despite feeling rejected, they feel they only have one gift to offer to prevent future rejection. Their sense of self is based on countering this rejection by offering their talent.

Twos

Twos reject their own needs, their own negative thoughts and emotions. The Two offers the only gift she has left: her heart. She focuses on the needs of others and helping, caring, and nurturing them. Twos try to love others so much that others won't reject them. Twos base their sense of self on putting their own needs aside (rejection) and caring for others.

Fives

Fives reject and minimize their own needs (especially their physical and emotional ones). The Five has only one gift left: her head. Fives offer their intelligence and expertise to others, hoping that others will appreciate their knowledge. By building up their own expertise, Fives seek to become important enough not to be rejected further. Fives, having cut off their emotional needs, try to not need others, to be independent, and to not need love. Fives believe that their lack of emotion will shield them from the pain of further rejection.

Eights

Eights reject their own needs (especially their emotional, vulnerable side). The Eight only has one gift left to prevent further rejection: her strength and will. Eights believe in their power and know that others can turn to them from strength and leadership. Eights expect to be rejected, but because they are so "tough," they give the appearance of being able to handle it.
    Last edited by suedehead; 11-29-2014 at 11:09 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

The Withdrawn Stance - Types 4, 5, 9

The Withdrawn Stance as the name suggests are those types that ‘move away’ from people. Here we find the types that focus on thinking and feeling, making them highly imaginative. It is hard to see how their Freudian assocation, the Id, can be linked with these distant types however Freud himself remarked that it was ‘thinkers and poets’ who were most in connection with their subconscious.

Type 5 often withdraws the most physically, strongly asserting their need for privacy and withdrawing from the world. Type 4 withdraws socially, taking time to construct their own individuality separate from others. While Type 9 doesn’t necessarily physically withdraw from the world, they are guilty of zoning out with people, a mental withdrawal into an inner sanctum of being.

Types of the Withdrawn Stance can all benefit from moving themselves into the world and really being present within it. Often the types can develop great skills and talents in their time by themselves but do not ever present these to the world, focusing rather on keeping it all to themselves. It is good to learn that using these skills and showing them to the world can be as rewarding as developing. The Withdrawn Stance also has a unique quirk in that they can feel a disconnect to their humanness, often feeling detached from their body and more present within their imagination and fantasy.
    This is beautiful. Now combine that with sx/sp and you will feel my pain.

YWIMW