Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IEIs-INFps what's your 5 year plan?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs-INFps what's your 5 year plan?

Or one year? Or ten year? And more importantly, how do you feel when someone asks you that?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    Stressed. Don't fucking ask me that.
    For sure. I'm worried that that is par for the course, and I'm wondering if there's an IEI who can step to the plate with an answer other than that.
    SEE

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

a 5 year plan sounds like that annoying kind of self-help, "positive thinking" crap for people who think following such plans will turn them into millionaires.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are they wrong? what if I had said 20 year plan?
    SEE

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i think that if they believe they're going to become rich and successful that way, they're probably deluding themselves.

i would probably pull an "are you kidding?" kind of face at the idea of someone planning their life for the next 20 years. i know there are some people who actually do things like that; personally i would find it miserable and joyless.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    i think that if they believe they're going to become rich and successful that way, they're probably deluding themselves.

i would probably pull an "are you kidding?" kind of face at the idea of someone planning their life for the next 20 years. i know there are some people who actually do things like that; personally i would find it miserable and joyless.
    I'm completely torn, tbh.
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not IEI, but I just have to post my seething vehement distaste for five year, or whatever, plans. Asldkjfsokejfowejsdklj.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*wonders if this particular community is anywhere near close to a proper sample of the general population.................. *
    SEE

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    *wonders if this particular community is anywhere near close to a proper sample of the general population.................. *
    Well, relatively, we're like freaking rocket scientists compared to the general population.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to set a few grand resolutions & shrink them down to baby steps, following the Japanese pinciple of Kaizen. Placing your present sights & energy that far away in the future (well..over a year) is demoralizing and imprecise IMO.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a general sense of how I want the next 5 years to go (though I will not share out of embarassment). I doubt that they will not go that way though. It's not like "THIS YEAR I WILL DO THIS AND THE NEXT YEAR THIS WILL HAPPEN LALALA", it's more like a sort of .. Outline, or something.

Though I really hated it when I had to do those assignments for high school, so I often just lied. My personal life is not my teacher's business >=(

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IEI's plan?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    IEI's plan?
    i think IEIs "plan" but it's not like where the kind of planning where you decide to have something done by a certain date/time, it's more of a waiting for the right moment kind of thing. this includes small things, such as wanting to ask a certain question, making a suggestion, saying something to make someone feel better about something i know they've been worrying about, etc. the IEI may do it in such a way as to make it look unplanned or even spontaneous, even though they really had been thinking ahead of time about doing it. it's one way how IEIs subtly influence the direction of things, where they want it to or feel it should go.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My X year plan so far is:

- don't die
    - don't become homeless
    - continue showering daily
    Might want to remove some of those; you don't want to overdo it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

See Joy, nobody thinks you are SLE because you say things like this. You confuse Ni with Fi.

Anyway, to answer your question... my plan is to finally make the 16types adventures video game. And that's about it. Maybe find a little job doing something that I enjoy.

It feels much more free to live in the moment tho.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

btw i doubt SLEs are the kind to have "5 year plans" lol. i've seen a few SLEs who make plenty of money still have to borrow money at the end of the month to pay the rent because they went and spent everything they made

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate that question. When we were first married, I remember my husband telling me I needed to make a five-year plan and I inwardly seethed over that. I think it's great to know what you want, but more generally. Focusing your attentions on that goal, is necessary. But planning out the details over a specified time period? Useless. Waste of time. (not to mention stressful) It's better to feel good about being the person you are and let the details work themselves out. And I agree with those here who have said that SLEs don't generally have 5-year plans either. They can truly not know which way they themselves will decide until a definitive moment. I think sometimes this quality makes them look like they're lying or falsifying information. But I think they just don't always foresee the way something will go until they're there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to plan logistically I guess - for example, if there are 5 places I need to go that day, I'm good at organising what route to take to minimise time and avoiding doubling back, and when to meet people and so on. But it's all quite short term, I generally don't plan more than 3 months ahead.
    I do this too. I hate being inefficient in my errands. Probably cause I have limited energy and tolerance for boring stuff like that.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lol yeah - despite my obvious lack of planning, I still plan far more than my bf.

I like to plan logistically I guess - for example, if there are 5 places I need to go that day, I'm good at organising what route to take to minimise time and avoiding doubling back, and when to meet people and so on. But it's all quite short term, I generally don't plan more than 3 months ahead.
    I agree, I think i was more thinking that IEI's don't really make detailed 5 year plans, or are the type to do that.

TIM
    INFp, e5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In five years, I will have:
    -Moved out on my own.
    -Began a career in teaching.
    -Finished my degree.

THAT'S ALL. It's all too tempting to plan future concerns based on present circumstances. It's not as much about shooting for the moon, as it is getting myself off the ground. Know what I mean?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind knowing how all of Beta would answer to this question.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^@ Maritsa

In five years ill be 24...

Hopefully by that time, i'll have a degree in something, while drafting into the NFL...play for a few years to save up enough money. Invest in stock, invest in some business as a steady source of income.Leave and join a branch in the military (Airforce maybe), climb in rank, then use the money and influence to fund private weapons/defense/genetics/stem cell research and technology.

....Obviously, prob won't happen that way, life takes unexpected turns, but it -can- be done. Most likely not in the next 5 years though, probably a lot more (10-15 yrs) if I worked towards my goals hard enough.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    IEI's plan?
    I think everybody does to some point, even if you don't write them down or work towards them, everyone has atleast a vague idea of what they want for the future... the closer your plans are to the present moment the better.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I do this too. I hate being inefficient in my errands. Probably cause I have limited energy and tolerance for boring stuff like that.
    yes i relate to this short-term planning. if i don't think ahead, even for the smallest tasks, i can hesitate a lot and waste time. to an outsider i may easily look kind of wandering, lost, and uncertain of myself. i think it's hard for me to be truly in the moment, so planning ahead helps me be more "efficient" and to avoid being so uncertain about what i'm doing.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to what octo and glam have said. I always come up with algorithms to minimize effort and avoid redundancy.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. What do you mean by algorithms?
    Basically, this:

Quote Originally Posted by thefreedictionary.com
    A finite set of unambiguous instructions performed in a prescribed sequence to achieve a goal.
    I like making concrete step-by-step guides in my head, or write them down if it's a complex task or a series of things a need to do. (My to-do list would be an example of the latter.) The idea is to save time and energy, and achieve as much as possible with as little effort as possible. A little bit of planning in advance can save you a lot of unnecessary hassle. Plus I like improving things, so I constantly look for ways to do things better, faster, etc. And like Glam said, I'm not that great in making decisions on the spot unless I have things worked out in my head in advance. Then it's easy.

I like the word "algorithm" because in science it usually implies an optimized solution to a problem.
    Last edited by Park; 01-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I tend to visualise my plans diagrammatically (dots moving on a map, or seeing landmarks in my head - I usually have to close my eyes), and they're usually time-related ("I'll leave the house at 9:30 to catch the 9:45 train, then I'll be at X station at 10:30, walk quickly to get to the shop and buy milk by 10:35, then catch the next bus to the city, there should be a bus at least every 15 minutes so I'll be in the city by 11 at the latest, so I'll arrange to meet Y for coffee at 11:15 to be on the safe side").
    I only do that when I'm bound to a certain schedule or have to be somewhere at a certain time. Otherwise, I completely ignore time. I just don't care, and don't want to rush anywhere.... unless I'm in a bad mood and feel like rushing.

I generally like to know where I'll be at what time, I have no idea why, I get a bit thrown off if something unplanned gets in the way (e.g. boyfriend asks if I can pick up something a bit out of the way while I'm in the city) and I have to recalculate.
    I'm not like that. I tend to be quite flexible, and I'd gladly change my route if I can be of service/use to someone, especially people I love/like/respect, or if something comes up. I tend to see people who are like you as high-strung and kinda selfish.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why high strung?
    I don't know, people who plan their every minute and stick to their plan like octopi usually appear uptight to me. Like tense or worried for no reason.

I don't mean I won't do it, or that I'll bitch at them for wrecking my day - it just means I have to stop and recalculate.
    So from your own POV, are you stingy with your time, or just dislike unpredictability?
    Last edited by Park; 01-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant stingy more in a sense that maybe you like having absolute control over how you spend your time, and prefer to not be open to (random) incoming requests. But I see what you're saying.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my IEE dad used to do this shit to me in high school -- 'get a piece of paper, write where you want to be in 5 years,' blah blah. it was always just so sterilizing. I couldn't plan the next five minutes of my life if I wanted to, and it's already enough of a hassle syncing my emotional states with a work schedule. all that matters is having fun with my sega genesis echo chamber, as I can feel where it's all heading anyway. oh and joy, quit pretending to 'relate' to IEIs.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I'm worried that that is par for the course, and I'm wondering if there's an IEI who can step to the plate with an answer other than that.
    oh, i didn't see the significance of this statement before... Joy, if you are worried that your dual is someone who doesn't have or want to hear about 5-year plans, and if you believe that by having a 5-year plan, a person is "stepping up to the plate" - then IEI is probably not your dual, because that is generally not how we operate.

honestly these 5-year plans seem like something that would especially appeal to Rationals and/or Te-valuers.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They appeal to Stalin.

Honestly, a five year plan is used to get other people on board of a vision of the future. It is very creepy Fe, it is not Te at all. When somebody says "Glam, I want your five year plan" it is a Fe type (likely a rational one ESFj or ENFj) trying to tie you down into an agenda that they can influence.

It is to make discursive what is not to be mediated by discursion.

I mean that rather literally. The discursive functions are the Meyers Briggs functions; 1&2 / 5&6. These are functions we can openly articulate and explain. However, they are not the true person, as it does not include the deepest pain of your soul, and your strongest rebellion against control. Functions 3&4 / 7&8 are hard to lay bare to others. Five year plans are entirely evil as a result. They lack the poetry of life.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol. I am base and they dont appeal to me, Im not sure why you say they appeal to doms, except out of trolling.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To gain control. To turn the tables. To master "the other." Once they begin to discuss their plan, you could start sniping at it so that you control the agenda. Maybe Fe doms could do without it. It might be more of an Fe role function type doing it. Five year plans are to force you to suppress your real feelings and give control to the person who asked for your plan.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Derp.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    OP smells like Ni-PoLR. 5 year plans?! Wtf.
    Don't mess with Ni Polr SLEs.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    They appeal to Stalin.

Honestly, a five year plan is used to get other people on board of a vision of the future. It is very creepy Fe, it is not Te at all. When somebody says "Glam, I want your five year plan" it is a Fe type (likely a rational one ESFj or ENFj) trying to tie you down into an agenda that they can influence.
    sounds more like a Te-valuer feigning Fe.

like this

4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i just skimmed this thread but does anybody besides joy actually do five year plans? it seems silly to talk about how its related to type if hardly anybody actually does it. i dont think ive ever met anyone who said "my five year plan is.." i thought it was something in fiction or for corporate types to bullshit about in interviews.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're all slackers here
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast