Thread: Eating Fruits and Vegetables Also Good For Your Mental Health

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Default Eating Fruits and Vegetables Also Good For Your Mental Health

To @mfckr and @FDG, who made fun of me for eating a veggie sandwich: IN YOUR FACE, BITCHES!!!

'An Apple a Day' Keeps the Psychiatrist Away

(Science World Report) Though they may not be covered in chocolate and sugar, your favorite fruits and veggies aren't just physically beneficial for you. Regular consumption of these foods might actually make you feel happier.

According to a recent study conducted in 2012 that involved 80,000 people, researchers found that happiness and strong mental health may actually be higher in those who consume daily portions of fruits and veggies. In fact, the study showed that higher levels of happiness and better health actually stemmed from daily portions of fruit and vegetable intake.

They also found that well-being can come from seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day, at approximately 2.8 ounces per serving. According to background information from the study, researchers used seven different measures to record a sense of well-being and purposely made the sample size very large so that they could determine adequate demographic, social and economic variables.

And the results showed the amazing benefits for fruits and veggies, many of which are high in antioxidants, proteins, and offer other incredible nutritional benefits. However, the authors of the study claim that little has been done before about the benefits of fruits and vegetables and it's relationship to mental health.

You know that saying-"an apple a day keeps the doctor away?" Well, looks like it was probably true. And maybe when whoever came up with that term said 'doctor,' they didn't just mean primary care physician, they also meant psychiatrist (Wink, wink.)

More information regarding the study's findings can be found in the paper "Is Psychological Well-Being Linked to Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables?"

(Link to Article)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleFool View Post
    I eat fruits & veggies, but I still think a veggie sandwich sounds a bit silly. What was it, tomatoes on top of mushrooms & green peppers?
    Provolone cheese, avocado spread, sliced cucumbers, lettuce, tomato and I added onions, too. That's how Jimmy Johns makes them (minus the mayo, I don't like mayo).

If I had made it at home, it probably would have included mushrooms and green peppers. Maybe some bean sprouts or something, too. Though I prefer to make hummus wraps at home rather than sandwiches, with a spinach tortilla.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i really don't see what's wrong with a veggie sandwich.
    pb&j and grilled cheese don't have meat either and they're classics?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Eating lots of fruits and veggies and less meat also makes one's sperm taste soooo much better. Fuck having cum that tastes like battery acid.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eating lots of fruit and veggies makes ur penis drop off
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read an interesting book on a similar topic called Naked Calories, by Mira and Jayson Calton. The fitness world is so focused on macronutrients, and this book actually focuses on micronutrient deficiencies. Specifically, it goes into depth on how micronutrients are absorbed or blunted. The Caltons stress the importance of eating whole foods and vegetables, as our bodies cannot absorb the full benefit of a standard one-a-day multivitamin. (At a minimum, they recommend a 2x/day multivitamin without copper, which blunts some micronutrients).

Interesting stuff, and it makes sense if you consider the effects of micronutrients on the body and how that might affect our brain chemistry.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    I read an interesting book on a similar topic called Naked Calories, by Mira and Jayson Calton. The fitness world is so focused on macronutrients, and this book actually focuses on micronutrient deficiencies. Specifically, it goes into depth on how micronutrients are absorbed or blunted. The Caltons stress the importance of eating whole foods and vegetables, as our bodies cannot absorb the full benefit of a standard one-a-day multivitamin. (At a minimum, they recommend a 2x/day multivitamin without copper, which blunts some micronutrients).

Interesting stuff, and it makes sense if you consider the effects of micronutrients on the body and how that might affect our brain chemistry.
    I'll look this book up, thanks for reviewing it.
    I've given up on the macronutrient focus, and have wanted to look into the vitamins/minerals and such instead. I don't eat much these days, and want to learn how to maximize what I do eat to get the best nutrients I can, especially from seasonal, local foods.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I'll look this book up, thanks for reviewing it.
    I've given up on the macronutrient focus, and have wanted to look into the vitamins/minerals and such instead. I don't eat much these days, and want to learn how to maximize what I do eat to get the best nutrients I can, especially from seasonal, local foods.
    You'll love this book, then. It goes through each of the vitamins and minerals, which compete for receptor sites / blunt absorption of others, and outlines soluble and insoluble fibers.

The authors actually sell a 2x/day multivitamin which I take along with fish oil. I can personally tell you that prior to taking these, there was a section of my gums that would always bleed when I flossed. After several weeks of this new vitamin and fish oil routine, my gums no longer bleed. All in all, I feel as though my general inflammation has been reduced. I even notice a difference in my joints after running.

However, the authors will always tell you that if you'd rather not purchase their multivitamin, you should at a minimum cut your regular multivitamin in half and take half in the morning and half at night.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

eating lots of fruit and veggies makes ur penis drop off
    Bend over then.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@applejacks, have you read their newer book Rich Foods Poor Foods? Any thoughts on that one too?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    @applejacks, have you read their newer book Rich Foods Poor Foods? Any thoughts on that one too?
    I started reading it, but haven't finished. It starts out really cheeky, which was distracting ("Stop lights" and "green lights" and superfluous shopping cart analogies), but once you get past it, it's very beneficial as a resource. RFPF focuses more so on labels and identifying what all those complex words MEAN or what they actually ARE (dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose, counterfeit colors and where in the world these are banned).

I'd recommend RFPF as a "Go to" book for all things found on food labels, but trying to read it straight through has been somewhat annoying.

Bottom line: The more ingredients, the worse it is for you. If you want to understand exactly why, it's a great book to read.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Provolone cheese, avocado spread, sliced cucumbers, lettuce, tomato and I added onions, too. That's how Jimmy Johns makes them (minus the mayo, I don't like mayo).
    You're not only trying to be a vegetarian but a vegan.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

veggie sandwich with avocado = better than meat.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    You're not only trying to be a vegetarian but a vegan.
    Nonsense! I said there was cheese, lol.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonsense! I said there was cheese, lol.
    You are only gonna make this worse for yourself about not admitting your newly found religion.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, I think so. You don't exploit animals to make cheese. That can't taste good though...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

You are only gonna make this worse for yourself about not admitting your newly found religion.
    Disgusting, dude. Soy is terrible.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Would it be considered vegan if you only consumed cheese made from your own breast milk? Or is that still a no?
    It's not vegan. However, most vegans would ethically accept that. But they still might find it distasteful for what cheese represents to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Yes, I think so. You don't exploit animals to make cheese. That can't taste good though...
    Yes, however, you will make the industry more profitable which will allow more cruelty. Many vegans could probably indulge in dairy products if they'd buy them from Hindus or others that won't participate in slaughtering and imprisonment of cows.

But they might not. There are still so many non-freegan vegetarians.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's not vegan. However, most vegans would ethically accept that. But they still might find it distasteful for what cheese represents to them.
    Yes, it probably depends on why someone is a vegan. Milk made from breastmilk does not necessitate cruelty since there was consent (I assume). I know vegans who are vegans for health reasons and they probably wouldn't eat it. I am (almost) vegan for cruelty reasons and I would (if I had the desire).
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Nutritional reasons are perhaps the most honest. Though I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having compassion for the cows.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nutritional reasons are perhaps the most honest. Though I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having compassion for the cows.
    I have heard this before and I don't get it. What does this have to do with honest?
    ― Anais Nin