Thread: Beta quadra types attitudes towards exercise and methods

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta quadra types attitudes towards exercise and methods

For those of you betas who exercise, I'm interested in hearing your attitudes, methods, etc. How do you view it? How do you approach it? Do you have a structure which you implement? Go day to day? What about the actual experience itself. Do you go for social reasons, intensity, pain (<3 lol), etc.?

Yeah, I know that was a long list of questions. Just answer. I'll post later.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never really maintained any sort of exercise routine for the sake of exercise itself. When I was a kid I was enrolled in plenty of sports (hockey, soccer, tennis, cross-country etc.) and never had a problem adapting to whatever training routines were set in place by others. Now-a-days I get exercise a few days a week at work (lots of lifting) but I find the thought of joining a gym to get exercise to be, quite frankly, ridiculous. Sharing some Church-sized space with a load idiots, each doing their own thing, haha. But I do still enjoy exercising by playing sports with friends. Like kicking a soccer ball around a field or playing tennis. I've never had any weight issues in my life, and quite frankly I most likely never will (no matter how much I eat/don't eat, exercise/don't exercise my weight remains stable) so I've always attached "exercise" to fun things like playing sports with other people. Since I started smoking (when I was a teenager) I've noticed that it's more difficult for me to do things like run large distances at a continuous pace. But I'm still able to do things like play tennis (short running/stopping) for hours and just as well I ever did without running out of breath (of course I'm not really that good at it so this might not be saying much lol).

I never excercise by myself though, I need someone to play with/ compete against to get me motivated and keep me motivated.
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    I've never really maintained any sort of exercise routine for the sake of exercise itself.
    Interesting. I used to, then I got bored because it was so perfunctory. Passion needs to be there.

When I was a kid I was enrolled in plenty of sports (hockey, soccer, tennis, cross-country etc.) and never had a problem adapting to whatever training routines were set in place by others. Now-a-days I get exercise a few days a week at work (lots of lifting) but I find the thought of joining a gym to get exercise to be, quite frankly, ridiculous. Sharing some Church-sized space with a load idiots, each doing their own thing, haha.
    I agree. I get a simmering rage every time I enter into my community's club house. Not only do idiots get in your way, but most of them aren't even there to put in work. They just want to feel like they're doing something, so they get a magazine, turn on the t.v. and walk on the treadmill. And yeah, the idea of actually joining a gym—like you're part of some community, lol—is pretty silly. 'I'm not like you and you're not like me'; I'd rather train at home with nothing but a few weights and a punching bag than pay to join some gay-ass gym.

But I do still enjoy exercising by playing sports with friends. Like kicking a soccer ball around a field or playing tennis. I've never had any weight issues in my life, and quite frankly I most likely never will (no matter how much I eat/don't eat, exercise/don't exercise my weight remains stable) so I've always attached "exercise" to fun things like playing sports with other people. Since I started smoking (when I was a teenager) I've noticed that it's more difficult for me to do things like run large distances at a continuous pace. But I'm still able to do things like play tennis (short running/stopping) for hours and just as well I ever did without running out of breath (of course I'm not really that good at it so this might not be saying much lol).
    I've never had weight issues either, nor have I struggled with putting on muscle fairly quickly through resistance training. I guess at this point in my life, it's about discipline and self-worth: I don't want to sell myself short. Competitive sports can definitely be fun and a good way to loosen yourself up (especially if you're used to a routine), but I maintain the interpersonal contact in athletics to a minimum. That's an interesting point about smoking, because I've heard similar sentiments from smokers before. And like, I've gone on smoking binges and still run 5-8 miles the day I finish. So, it's whatever.

I never excercise by myself though, I need someone to play with/ compete against to get me motivated and keep me motivated.
    Interesting. I hate exercising with people, lol. There's one person I exercise with, and the competition isn't ever "friendly" or anything (partly because it's boxing). I think people are just generally useless, futile, and extra weight when it comes to exercise; a bunch of languid bodies that would just get in my way. Plus I know that they don't want to train the way I do, so it's whatever.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My exercise literally extends to what the OTC forces me to do, and when I feel unhealthy and need to run.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    My exercise literally extends to what the OTC forces me to do, and when I feel unhealthy and need to run.
    What do they make you do?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do circuits. It's basically 10 seconds, then 20 seconds, then 30 seconds of one of twelve exercises rotating. They range from press ups to barbells to dips. It's a pretty decent workout, and very nackering.

ETA: it could be 16 actually. I can't remember exactly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember trying to get my ex-husband, who is INFp, to exercise.

We started with racquetball, and he was a fairly avid player, but he always wanted to play games according to the rules, and I just wanted to play. He complained that playing without rules changed his reactions and put him at a disadvantage when he went back to playing with them. So we kept score & all that, but eventually we stopped playing & never started again.

So then I wanted to get into a martial art, and he insisted it be something we do together. But he didn't want to do anything too intense, so we compromised with Tai Chi taught at a traditional Kung Fu school. But he wouldn't focus, and the sifu taught us together, so he kept holding me back. I got annoyed because he was obviously not even trying, and because he would deliberately try to kiss on me during class, breaking my concentration and being (unintentionally) rude to the sifu. I finally realized he wanted to quit but wouldn't until I did, so I gave up. I was really quite annoyed at that whole deal ...

So, we agreed to join a gym. That way we could go together but do separate things. But I started to notice that he would never put much effort forth. He would get on this one reclined stepper machine and do that for 45 minutes at a moderate pace. I explained to him about cardio conditioning, and the added effectiveness of intervals, etc., and he ignored me. I would get on the rowing ergometer right next to him and burn more calories in 20 minutes than he did in 45, after having done an entire weight circuit, but he would not rise to the challenge.

Finally, he admitted to me that physical exertion was painful to him, and that he didn't get anything like a runner's high. I must get good endorphins, because when I work out, I wring myself out thoroughly. Many are the nights when I can barely crawl up into my van and then hold a steady pressure on the accelerator to get home from the gym ... and when I have to struggle to peel my sweaty clothes off to get in the shower, I have an exultant feeling of having accomplished something. So, I guess if I didn't get that "reward" I probably wouldn't push myself so hard, either.

What do you see as type or quadra related in exercise styles, strrrng? Or are you just asking, and it happens to be in the quadra subforum rather than in Anything Goes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Creepy-Cyclops

I work with a male ESTp who's never exercised. He smokes and is out of shape. He still has a precence about him. A female INFp I know goes to boxercise class once a week.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    . I must get good endorphins, because when I work out, I wring myself out thoroughly. Many are the nights when I can barely crawl up into my van and then hold a steady pressure on the accelerator to get home from the gym ... and when I have to struggle to peel my sweaty clothes off to get in the shower, I have an exultant feeling of having accomplished something. So, I guess if I didn't get that "reward" I probably wouldn't push myself so hard, either.
    Yeah, that's the reason why I like exercise. Because there's you in sweaty cloth...oh no I meant, because of the endorphines and the feeling of accomplishment, yeah!
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We started with racquetball, and he was a fairly avid player, but he always wanted to play games according to the rules, and I just wanted to play. He complained that playing without rules changed his reactions and put him at a disadvantage when he went back to playing with them. So we kept score & all that, but eventually we stopped playing & never started again.

So then I wanted to get into a martial art, and he insisted it be something we do together. But he didn't want to do anything too intense, so we compromised with Tai Chi taught at a traditional Kung Fu school. But he wouldn't focus, and the sifu taught us together, so he kept holding me back. I got annoyed because he was obviously not even trying, and because he would deliberately try to kiss on me during class, breaking my concentration and being (unintentionally) rude to the sifu. I finally realized he wanted to quit but wouldn't until I did, so I gave up. I was really quite annoyed at that whole deal ...

So, we agreed to join a gym. That way we could go together but do separate things. But I started to notice that he would never put much effort forth. He would get on this one reclined stepper machine and do that for 45 minutes at a moderate pace. I explained to him about cardio conditioning, and the added effectiveness of intervals, etc., and he ignored me. I would get on the rowing ergometer right next to him and burn more calories in 20 minutes than he did in 45, after having done an entire weight circuit, but he would not rise to the challenge.

Finally, he admitted to me that physical exertion was painful to him, and that he didn't get anything like a runner's high. I must get good endorphins, because when I work out, I wring myself out thoroughly. Many are the nights when I can barely crawl up into my van and then hold a steady pressure on the accelerator to get home from the gym ... and when I have to struggle to peel my sweaty clothes off to get in the shower, I have an exultant feeling of having accomplished something. So, I guess if I didn't get that "reward" I probably wouldn't push myself so hard, either.

What do you see as type or quadra related in exercise styles, strrrng? Or are you just asking, and it happens to be in the quadra subforum rather than in Anything Goes?
    Interesting story. Most betas I know aren't like that with exercise, sans the depressive emo INFp's who know no physical presence. I put it here because I wanted to see various betas' dispositions towards exercise, since mine tends to be of a very polarizing nature, and I figured that such an attitude might be more common among betas (absolutism). But I generally relate to the stuff you talk about, with the challenges, intensity, etc. Fortitude and self-sufficiency are definitely not intrinsic to type, lol. I think I've developed an expectation of beta exercise attitudes due to my extensive training with my Se-ESTp friend (and also witnessing alphas cry about not having fun, etc.). General patterns I have observed with exercise... Si/Ne quadras tend to be a bit more process-focused or something, whereas Se/Ni quadras seem centered around a single goal, "bare" stimulation. I don't know if you saw that duck-watching argument a while back in my blog or whatever. I've also noticed that betas tend to be the most predisposed to approaching a given regime like it's their "cause," which is primarily why I was interested in input from other betas.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to like exercise for the structured perfectionism it allowed me to implement. Then I got sort of bored of that absolutist attitude and started fluctuating.

But it's come to the point (over the past summer) where I only exercise if a)I have some "vision" fueling it, b)I am trying to release some pent-up angst, or c)just looking for good old physical intensity.

It's weird, because I can literally be inert for a week and not give a fuck, then start exercising hard again the next week and wonder how I was such a lazy fool before.

That being said, what I enjoy the most about exercise is pushing myself to my limits. The high, endorphins, feeling of accomplishment, etc. are all good, but if I'm not somehow "truly" strengthening myself, I don't feel like I'm gaining anything.

Which is why, when I do it, I go all out. This typically results in me burning out after a few weeks or so, starting a new vision, whatever. But it's fun while it lasts.

So, the fluctuations end up balancing each other, and I always stay in good shape, regardless.

In the end, all I care about is the charge derived from doing it. If there's nothing I can feel viscerally, I won't bother. Something else will provide it. Exercise doesn't feel like something "pleasant" to me; it's more of a necessity or something. Either go all out or don't do it at all.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Creepy-Cyclops

That sounds painful. There's a couple of time trials i've done when cycling or wheeling about when i've been pushing myself so hard i've felt i'm going to be sick or die. Just keep going for competition factor or stubborness, but I wouldn't say it's enjoyable. I feel the benefits after a few days. These days I normally prefer exercising for overal feelgood factor, but it's OK to open the taps up a little. Games like rackquetball can OK to play cause they don't slaughter you the same as proper aerobic competition, but they're boring.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Sounds like a mindset I once harbored during a darker time of my life.

"I don't care if it hurts
    I want to have control
    I want a perfect body
    I want a perfect soul"
    Is that radiohead?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a mindset I once harbored during a darker time of my life.

"I don't care if it hurts
    I want to have control
    I want a perfect body
    I want a perfect soul"
    Interesting. I'd say control plays a part in it—much more so in previous years than now. Although, I don't think pain and whatnot is a means for control, but rather, a sort of physical exaltation that arises from knowing you are truly pushing the limits. The pain is like a necessity to reach your potential or something. But I will say that when I do implement any routine, I need to have complete control. It's hard to have the structure perturbed or something like that. Which is probably why I fluctuate.

Creepy-Cyclops

Yes.
    "Sick of being sick
    Tired of being tired
    Bored of being bored."

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, we can't help being 4's.
    indeed I like those lyrics

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have to fluctuate.
    Yeah. I have only found a handful of other people who relate to these sentiments. Most just balk at it, usually with some self-righteous proclamation of how I "can't be like that" because it's "unhealthy." (hence my vexation with people who claim to "have it together") Anyway, I think dolphin mentioned something about this before: that it's the highs and lows that make life. I completely agree with that, and it generally (not deliberately) fuels all my activities. What can I do today for that 'charge'? Without constantly changing impacts, I would feel dead. I need to always know that I can 'snap' at any moment, and that I won't fear whatever impulse hits, because the sheer magnitude of it will be worth it.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, Beta exercise sounds like no fun at all. Over in Alpha, we just exercise by makin' babies.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

betas exercise by killing babies

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    betas exercise by killing babies
    Thanks, man. That helps me lose weight.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Damn, Beta exercise sounds like no fun at all. Over in Alpha, we just exercise by makin' babies.
    And you can pass them babies over to Delta where the milk of human kindness itself which is the INFj will nurture and sacrifice themself to rear and care for all the babies and all the children of the world.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, man. That helps me lose weight.
    no problem

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually that kind of epitomizes my style of exercise. I want to do something that's enjoyable that happens to result in the effects of exercise, like playing basketball or jogging/walking fast through cool scenery, swimming at the beach or cruising underwater in a pool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im an enfj four and i can be pretty emo, too. just as i think infps can be well adjusted. maybe its a stereotype, but i think they can be pretty preocuppied with health and can get into yoga and who knows what else. I think of health food as being part of the INFP world in a general sense.

The ESTP I know struggles to stay active, but definitely tries to stay within a healthy range of behavior (for the most part).

I was into working out when i was younger and i mixed it up with areobics, machines ,and free weights.

I had a personal trainer for about 2 sessions and it helped me learn how to structure my work out and get the most out of it.

for those who think its silly to join a gym most cities have a rec center
    Lefty
    ENFJ

"I'm Sick of Old Men Dreaming Up Wars for Young Men To Die In," George McGovern.