TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dialectic Thinkers

Per Gulenko.

Are dialectic thinkers inclined to need a tie-breaker? Like when things are too balanced, say two directions following a decision are judged by them as equally possible and beneficial, then would they be inclined to need a tie-breaker? How'd they break the tie alone or do they necessarily need outside input?

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The third piece of advice for the LII is to trust your second intuitive hunch. What Gulenko means by this, is that the LII will first think of something and then intuition will help them with the answer. The decision that intuition is telling you is still kind of raw, so you need to go back to thinking mode, and see what intuition tells you the second time. The second time your intuition will be right, and your decision will be correct.
    Source: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...and-Transcript

I find this to be relatively true. After I've talked to people and read about it I'll normally have a gut intuition opinion, and then I'll go with my intuition.

If it's a true tie then that means I literally don't care which one I do, because they're both equally good. If I've made as full an exploration as I think is necessary and it's a tie, then it doesn't matter which I choose.

If it's a different type of tie, where I think X is what I ought to do and Y is what I want to do, or something like that, then I bargain with myself: "I haven't done much work today, so I should do X to make up for it. Then I can relax later in the day."

If it's a third type of tie, where I can see the merits of one person's POV and I can see the merits of another person's POV and I don't want to upset them, then... that's someone else's job. I guess the goal there is mutual respect for each other, or at least tolerance for each other, which isn't zero-sum like the other things.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@ClownsandEntropy You know that as an LII you're not a Dialectical-Algorithmic thinker though (which I'm pretty sure is what the OP was referencing), right? You're a Holographical-Panoramic thinker.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Victor-Gulenko

DA thinkers are SEI, EIE, ILI, LSE.

IME DA thinkers can definitely temporarily get stuck in a rut like this, and they will create an experiment for each option that they will then check to see how things hold up in order to break the tie. Either that or they'll go "let's just try this" and have a contingency plan in case it doesn't pan out. EIE and ILI are more likely to do the former IME, and SEI and LSE more likely to do that latter. DA thinkers are supposed to be good at weighing out multiple chains of thought and coming to conclusions though; if anything their minds are built to handle complex problems like this. IME it's their duals, the CD thinkers that more commonly get stuck in ruts when faced with very complex problems, and DA thinkers because of their idiosyncratic and complexity-creating thinking style more commonly get stuck in ruts when faced with mundane things.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    ...DA thinkers are supposed to be good at weighing out multiple chains of thought and coming to conclusions though; if anything their minds are built to handle complex problems like this. IME it's their duals, the CD thinkers that more commonly get stuck in ruts when faced with very complex problems, and DA thinkers because of their idiosyncratic and complexity-creating thinking style more commonly get stuck in ruts when faced with mundane things.
    Gulenko says something like this too, like dialectic is the most "thinned out" thinking, but I'm finding it difficult seeing this irl whereas I can easily spot Synergist activity I don't really notice dialectic activity much (?)

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Gulenko says something like this too, like dialectic is the most "thinned out" thinking, but I'm finding it difficult seeing this irl whereas I can easily spot Synergist activity I don't really notice dialectic activity much (?)
    Hang around ones that will verbalize their thinking process with you more, or do things with them more that require you to have dialogue to make decisions together.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ClownsandEntropy You know that as an LII you're not a Dialectical-Algorithmic thinker though (which I'm pretty sure is what the OP was referencing), right? You're a Holographical-Panoramic thinker.
    Dang, just wanted to be included.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Gulenko.

Are dialectic thinkers inclined to need a tie-breaker? Like when things are too balanced, say two directions following a decision are judged by them as equally possible and beneficial, then would they be inclined to need a tie-breaker? How'd they break the tie alone or do they necessarily need outside input?
    That sounds more like the indecision associated with intuition, more likely introverted intuitives.

Pretty much any observable quality of types is not going to have anything to do with supervision rings.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    That sounds more like the indecision associated with intuition, more likely introverted intuitives.

Pretty much any observable quality of types is not going to have anything to do with supervision rings.
    Why not? Gulenko listed observable behaviours for them, and they're based on Reinins which have observable characteristics.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not? Gulenko listed observable behaviours for them, and they're based on Reinins which have observable characteristics.
    Just because Gulenko said something doesn't mean it's true. And many people would disagree with your second statement.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just because Gulenko said something doesn't mean it's true. And many people would disagree with your second statement.
    .....Oookay......so is your point then that you don't subscribe to his idea of cognitive styles at all in the first place? Is that what your presence in this thread came down to?

Many people would disagree that the world is round. Aushra subscribed to the idea of Reinins.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....Oookay......so is your point then that you don't subscribe to his idea of cognitive styles at all in the first place? Is that what your presence in this thread came down to?
    I don't subscribe to them, but my point was that Jungian dichotomies are more than adequate to explain this phenomenon.

Many people would disagree that the world is round. Aushra subscribed to the idea of Reinins.
    That's not a fair comparison, Reinin dichotomies are extremely controversial, including in the Russian community.

Augusta viewed the Reinin dichotomies as being a speculative hypothesis. She didn't use them for typing people as some do now.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't subscribe to them, but my point was that Jungian dichotomies are more than adequate to explain this phenomenon.

That's not a fair comparison, Reinin dichotomies are extremely controversial, including in the Russian community.

Augusta viewed the Reinin dichotomies as being a speculative hypothesis. She didn't use them for typing people as some do now.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...aug-priz2.html

At the very least, she contributed a lot of detail to what could be described as observable traits in her hypothesizing.

Just because you think something doesn't mean it's true either, I hope you realize that.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Are dialectic thinkers inclined to need a tie-breaker? Like when things are too balanced, say two directions following a decision are judged by them as equally possible and beneficial, then would they be inclined to need a tie-breaker?
    It's usually CD types that provide them with 'points' that resolve the mental wavering, so every DA type is paired up with a CD type in dual relations. How this works is explained in this post if you can get through the Ti.

Sans the presence of any CD, DA types seem to take a long time to arrive any conclusion and are probably least decisive in life. Sometimes it feels like they never get to any end point, like it's one prolonged journey to clarify, resolve ambiguities, which of course can never be fully resolved, double-check, and counter-oppose any suggestions, a process that may stretch out to years but they seem to enjoy being in the middle of it, which drives any Result types in vicinity of them bonkers.

How'd they break the tie alone or do they necessarily need outside input?
    People don't rely on one style of thinking, which is what Gulenko's article would lead you to believe, but that's not quite what's happening. There's usually some portion of the dual cog. style present which works concurrently and together with your main one. But the process is much slower and less effective than if you had the real thing i.e. your dual around, then things speed up. So any DA thinker has some small % of CD going on, which allows them to eventually break the tie; this % is contingent on their type's subtype.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if things are perfectly balanced you don't really need a tie breaker since by definition one is not better than the other so it is inconsequential which one you pick (wasting time over picking between two truly equivalent options is the only real "bad" option)... this also presumes all the information is available which is basically never the case, so you pick the one you think is most unlikely to surprise you in a bad way, even if based on current information the two are balanced

more than likely one thing will have something subjectively preferable even if objectively the two are balanced... we'd call that a matter of style

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think the thing with DA is that they are comfortable with holding two contadicting beliefs, or opposing values, or whatever, without needing to subvert one, or modify it to raise the other.

I dont think they need a tie breaker, because the tie doesnt inhibit them.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.