Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational quotes

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"A friend guessed by Tarot cards. He said that happiness will soon meet me. When I left the house, a high-voltage wire broke off near me, then a Rottweiler wanted to bite me, and eventually a cyclist hit into me. That's happiness! I dislocated my leg. I went to the hospital and sat in the queue, and a girl with a bandaged hand approaches and takes a place for me. We talked, and she told how she had troubles all day, and that the bus had braked short, she had fallen and broke her hand. It was so nice to talk with her, that I did not notice how my turn came, we exchanged phones, and I left. Now that she is the mother of my kiddies, I realized about what happiness my friend once said."

"Half a year ago I walked around the city at night, and passing the bridge across the river, I saw a girl standing on the guardrail of the bridge and was about to jump. I quietly approached her, talked and offered to drink tea at my home. After a week is our wedding. Sometimes you can find your destiny where you do not expect."

http://www.adme.ru/svoboda-narodnoe-...haste-1495515/

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Vienna, June 20, 1781

“That the court minions look at you askance I can easily believe, but what have you to do with such miserable menials? the more inimical they are to you, the more proudly and contemptuously ought you to look down on them. As for Arco, I take counsel solely from my own heart and good sense, and require no interference on the part of any lady or person of rank, to make me do what is right and fitting; neither too much nor too little. It is the heart that ennobles a man; and though I am no Count, I have perhaps more honourable feeling than many a Count. But whether a man be a house-porter or a Count, from the moment that he insults me I consider him to be a scoundrel. Though I intend at first to represent to him quite coolly how badly and basely he managed the affair, yet I shall feel bound to add both a kick and a couple of boxes on the ear from me; for if any one offends me I must have my revenge; and if I did no more to him than he has done to me, it would only be retaliation and not punishment, and I should moreover thus place myself on a level with him; but I really am too proud to measure myself with such a stupid oaf.

Unless something very pressing occurs, I shall now only write to you once a week, being at present so very much occupied. I must stop, as I have some variations to finish for my pupil. Adieu!” ~ Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I don't think everyone should believe in magic but I'm not sure I'd trust anyone who doesn't, in some way or another." ~ J. K. Rowling

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Science is a method of testing natural explanations for natural objects and events. Phenomena that can be observed or measured are amenable to scientific investigation. Science also is based on the observation that the universe operates according to regularities that can be discovered and understood through scientific investigations. Explanations that are not consistent with empirical evidence or that cannot be tested empirically are not a part of science. As a result, explanations of natural phenomena that are not derived from evidence but from myths, personal beliefs, religious values, philosophical axioms, and superstitions are not scientific. Furthermore, because science is limited to explaining natural phenomena through testing based on the use of empirical evidence, it cannot provide religious or ultimate explanations.

~The National Science Teachers Association

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Love isn’t something we invented - it’s observable, powerful. Maybe it means more - something we can’t understand, yet. Maybe it’s some evidence, some artifact of higher dimensions that we can’t consciously perceive. I’m drawn across the universe to someone I haven’t seen for a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can’t yet understand it.” - Brand, Interstellar

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"One day I realized I was living in a country where I was afraid to be black. It was only a country for white people. Not black. So I left. I had been suffocating in the United States… A lot of us left, not because we wanted to leave, but because we couldn’t stand it anymore… I felt liberated in Paris.” - Josephine Baker

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[…] If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different, because there’s no test.
    ~ Ricky Gervais

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    […] If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different, because there’s no test.
    ~ Ricky Gervais
    This is an interesting assertion, and I'm not sure I agree with it.

Yes, the science books would be reconstructed in very similar forms (assuming that the Scientific Method was rediscovered - it's acceptance might be heavily dependent on the social and political atmosphere), but I think the religious books would also return in very similar forms.

Many people want to live in a world with predictable rules. Religion in its most basic form is a set of rules for behavior. Science is a set of rules for how the world behaves. Of the two, science has had the easier task so far, since it addresses the simplest forms of behavior. Human behavior is much more complex and is highly dependent on specific situations, so finding general behavioral rules which produce optimal outcomes is much, much harder for religion.

For example, the rules of action for surviving in a small tribe in a hostile environment, surrounded by other hostile tribes, might look pretty brutal ("An eye for an eye"), but when you move that same tribe to a settled city, you might have to change the rules ("Turn the other cheek").

So any reconstruction of religious books will be highly dependent on the future hypothetical situations, but the optimal rules of behavior for surviving life in certain situations don't really change much.

*EDIT*
    In the science fiction short story "The Man Who Came Early" (https://getinkspired.com/en/story/76...liam-anderson/ ) , which is about a twentieth-century soldier who time travels back to tenth century Reykjavik when the Vikings are being converted to Christianity, the Viking narrator of the story laughs at the soldier for allowing the government to settle personal disputes, rather than personally seeking revenge and taking up arms against the offending neighbors.

This reminds me a bit of the self-sorted dichotomy that exists today between country and city people. Old and New Testaments.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 01-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    This is an interesting assertion, and I'm not sure I agree with it.

Yes, the science books would be reconstructed in very similar forms (assuming that the Scientific Method was rediscovered - it's acceptance might be heavily dependent on the social and political atmosphere), but I think the religious books would also return in very similar forms.

Many people want to live in a world with predictable rules. Religion in its most basic form is a set of rules for behavior. Science is a set of rules for how the world behaves. Of the two, science has had the easier task so far, since it addresses the simplest forms of behavior. Human behavior is much more complex and is highly dependent on specific situations, so finding general behavioral rules which produce optimal outcomes is much, much harder for religion.

For example, the rules of action for surviving in a small tribe in a hostile environment, surrounded by other hostile tribes, might look pretty brutal ("An eye for an eye"), but when you move that same tribe to a settled city, you might have to change the rules ("Turn the other cheek").

So any reconstruction of religious books will be highly dependent on the future hypothetical situations, but the optimal rules of behavior for surviving life in certain situations don't really change much.

*EDIT*
    In the science fiction short story "The Man Who Came Early" (https://getinkspired.com/en/story/76...liam-anderson/ ) , which is about a twentieth-century soldier who time travels back to tenth century Reykjavik when the Vikings are being converted to Christianity, the Viking narrator of the story laughs at the soldier for allowing the government to settle personal disputes, rather than personally seeking revenge and taking up arms against the offending neighbors.

This reminds me a bit of the self-sorted dichotomy that exists today between country and city people. Old and New Testaments.
    I think you make some good points generally, although I find your definition of religion misses the mark. The fundamental aspect of religion is that it invokes the supernatural, which cannot be empirically verified. Ethics need no more be informed by religious beliefs than by scientific observation (and my view is that religious beliefs are a poor groundwork for ethics). Ethics are inherently subjective, and yes, what is considered acceptable by wider society does change over time, although generally, there is agreement that unnecessary pain is an abomination.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm not an artist but this is food for thought. I wonder how I'd pass the time if I didn't care so much.

I’ve seen women insist on cleaning everything in the house before they could sit down to write… and you know it’s a funny thing about housecleaning… it never comes to an end. Perfect way to stop a woman. A woman must be careful to not allow over-responsibility (or over-respectability) to steal her necessary creative rests, riffs, and raptures. She simply must put her foot down and say no to half of what she believes she “should” be doing. Art is not meant to be created in stolen moments only.
    Clarissa Pinkola Estés

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ~ Richard Feynman

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I'm not an artist but this is food for thought. I wonder how I'd pass the time if I didn't care so much.

I’ve seen women insist on cleaning everything in the house before they could sit down to write… and you know it’s a funny thing about housecleaning… it never comes to an end. Perfect way to stop a woman. A woman must be careful to not allow over-responsibility (or over-respectability) to steal her necessary creative rests, riffs, and raptures. She simply must put her foot down and say no to half of what she believes she “should” be doing. Art is not meant to be created in stolen moments only.
    Clarissa Pinkola Estés
    Are you reading the book that comes from? It is such a worthwhile read.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaine View Post
    Are you reading the book that comes from? It is such a worthwhile read.
    Which one is it? I started women who run with the wolves but I had a really hard time with her writing style.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Which one is it? I started women who run with the wolves but I had a really hard time with her writing style.
    That's the one. you can just read that one story/chapter. It comes from nurturing the creative life chapter. It can work as a reference book, you can read bits that are relevant to where you are at psychologically. It has been a great help to me, though I have got more out of it in my 30s than in my twenties.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Its better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Imitation is the sincerest form of insecurity.-Polly Bergen

I believe that love - not imitation - is the sincerest form of flattery. Your imitator thinks that you can be duplicated; your lover knows you can't. -Marily Vos Savant

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes. -Jimi Hendrix.

No man was ever great by imitation. Samuel Johnson.
    Last edited by Hope; 07-15-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    "All nations will place their hope in him."
    (Mt 12:21)

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Comparison is an act of violence against the self.

Envy is the art of counting the others fellow's blessings instead of your own.-Harold Coffin

Compare yourself only to who you were yesterday.

Everything in life is easier when you don't concern yourself with what everybody else is doing.

Every minute you spend wishing you had someone else's life is a minute spent wasting yours.

It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.

We wont be distracted by comparison if we are captives with purpose.
    "All nations will place their hope in him."
    (Mt 12:21)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"The cat sat on the mat is not a story. The cat sat on the other cat's mat is a story." ~ John le Carré

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." ~ Richard Feynman

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"A teacher asks a class a question: There are ten sheep in a pen. One jumps out, how many are left? Everyone but one boy said nine are left. That one boy said none are left. The teacher said you don’t understand arithmetic and he said: "You don’t understand sheep." ~ Charlie Munger

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Although this may seem a paradox, all exact science is dominated by the idea of approximation. When a man tells you that he knows the exact truth about anything, you are safe in inferring that he is an inexact man." ~ Bertrand Russell

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary.” ~ Mark Twain

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

is that statement a fact, or are you just a disciple of mark twain and his miracles

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    is that statement a fact, or are you just a disciple of mark twain and his miracles
    It is an axiom.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As soon as you stop wanting something, you get it.

-Andy Warhol

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Another book I really need to read. From bell hooks, all about love.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you’re about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you’re wrong; that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, ‘I haven’t touched you yet.”
    — Carlos Castaneda

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If your tooth hurts, your tongue keeps going there. You are always conscious of a wound." - I. Bergman

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of making a thread like this.

Unironically two of the most hype shonen lines.

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary John Bishop inspires me to do thingzzz

loved this guys book, unfuck yourself

listened to the audiobook and now I want to buy it so I can brainwash myself with it, and listen to him yell at me in a Scottish accent

Life won’t stop for your pauses and procrastinations. It won’t stop for your confusion or fear. It will continue right along without you. Whether you play an active part or not, the show will go on.
    Gary John Bishop, Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
    you must first accept that while there are things that have happened in your life that you had no say in, you are 100 percent responsible for what you do with your life in the aftermath of those events. Always, every time, no excuses.
    Gary John Bishop, Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life

In simple terms, the language you use to describe your circumstances determines how you see, experience, and participate in them and dramatically affects how you deal with your life and confront problems both big and small.
    If you took the time to be with what I’m saying, you’d realize that what causes most of your worry is trying to predict the future and then refusing to accept things when they don’t or aren’t going to go your way.
    Gary John Bishop, Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
    Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.
    you are 100 percent responsible for what you do with your life

Last edited by Aster; 09-20-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His prohibition of alcohol because it is the mother of all evils

It was narrated by al-Nasâ'i and al-Bayhaqi in their Sunans that `Uthmân ibn' `Affân said: Avoid alcohol, for it is the mother of all evils. There was a man in the past who was a devoted worshipper, but a woman fell in love with him and wanted to tempt him. She sent her slave girl to him, to tell him that she was calling him to give testimony. She went with the slave girl, who started to close every door behind him as he entered, until he came to a beautiful woman, with whom was a boy and a vessel of wine. She said: By Allâh, I did not call you here to give testimony, but I called you to have intercourse with me, or to drink a cup of this wine, or to kill this boy. He said: Pour me a cup of this wine. She poured a cup for him and he said: Give me more. Then he did not stop until he had had intercourse with her and killed the boy. So avoid alcohol, for by Allâh faith and addiction to alcohol cannot co-exist but one of them will soon expel the other.

From: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZhBkDmJbtjjqo4
    Last edited by welcometomania; 08-07-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna punch you til you become two small pies.

- Some random SEE

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Success always calls for greater generosity — though most people, lost in the darkness of their own egos, treat it as an occasion for greater greed. Collecting boot is not an end itself, but only a means for building an empire. Riches would be of little use to us now — except as a means of winning new friends."

(Supposedly, from Cyrus the Great.)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” ~ William Gibson
    When you meet an asshole, you meet an asshole. When you meet assholes all day, you're an asshole. — Anonymous

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You want me to understand your sadness? You think I'm going to sympathize with you? I swore to protect my daughter and my friends. If someone puts them in danger, they must stand aside or be cut down!"

- Nier, ESI.

Actually, these words feel depressed... The guy he's fighting againts also fight for his own daughter too...

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...our seeking the truth in human motives for acting and thinking is destructive. With the truth, one cannot live. To be able to live one needs illusions, not only outer illusions such as art, religion, philosophy, science, and love afford, but inner illusions which first condition the outer. The more a man can take reality as truth, appearance as essence, the sounder, better adjusted, the happier he will be. At the moment when we begin to search after truth we destroy reality and our relation to it.

Truth and Reality, Otto Rank.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast