Thread: ISTps: joining new groups and introducing yourselves

Creepy-

Default ISTps: joining new groups and introducing yourselves

I’m curious about what the ISTps here have to say about this....

Have you ever/would you join a group or team sight unseen, as in an activity or sport you weren’t necessarily already good at, where you didn't know anyone beforehand?

If you wouldn’t, why not?

If you would, how easy or difficult would it probably be for you to introduce yourself to/talk with/get to know the people in group [who all know each other already], none of whom you’d met or seen before?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless it was something I was really interested in, no. I don't really go into anything with the intention of befriending people. I'd just go to enjoy myself and if I made a friend or two, great. It's not really hard for me to introduce myself to people..what's hard is caring/putting forth enough energy and enthusiasm to maintain things.

P.S where are the other ISTPs? I feel like the ISTP spokeswoman here or something. I dunno, i'm just throwing out there what I would do in these instances. Whether or not they're indicative of how an ISTP acts, I can't tell you.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Unless it was something I was really interested in, no. I don't really go into anything with the intention of befriending people. I'd just go to enjoy myself and if I made a friend or two, great. It's not really hard for me to introduce myself to people..what's hard is caring/putting forth enough energy and enthusiasm to maintain things.

P.S where are the other ISTPs? I feel like the ISTP spokeswoman here or something. I dunno, i'm just throwing out there what I would do in these instances. Whether or not they're indicative of how an ISTP acts, I can't tell you.
    Thanks for answering - so for you it's centered on your own interest, whereas the social aspect is secondary or even just something that might happen to go along w persuing your own interest, then. Hmm.

What about if you were forced to go and meet a whole new group of people [as I'm sure has either already happened for you, or will soon w your military endeavors!]. Would you tend to keep more to yourself naturally, or want to get to know everyone? Eh, not to imply that keeping to yourself means you aren't interested in getting to know the other people....

I guess my question - and it may be silly to even ask - is this: how inclined are you to make the first move in getting to know other people?

Ps.
    It does seem like you're the SLI spokeswoman atm, haha. Anybody else have any input?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    So it sounds like for you it's centered on your own interest, whereas the social aspect is secondary or even just something that might happen to go along w persuing your own interest, then....

What about if you were forced to go and meet a whole new group of people [as I'm sure has either already happened for you, or will soon w your military endeavors!]. Would you tend to keep more to yourself naturally, or want to get to know everyone? Eh, not to imply that keeping to yourself means you aren't interested in getting to know the other people.

I guess my question - and it may be silly to even ask - is this: how inclined are you to make the first move in getting to know other people?
    I hardly ever make the first move in getting to know people. I just don't put those things on my list of priorities. That might sound harsh but really, I'm oblivious. I'm under the assumption that if they wanted to get to know me, they'd approach me first. Faulty thinking perhaps. Unless it's just me and one other person, I don't initiate anything. If it's just me and someone else one-on-one, I'll strike up a convo to avoid awkwardness. I shrink in groups. One on one is much more preferable in getting to know others...or, at max 2 or 3.

Creepy-

I hardly ever make the first move in getting to know people. I just don't put those things on my list of priorities. That might sound harsh but really, I'm oblivious. I'm under the assumption that if they wanted to get to know me, they'd approach me first. Faulty thinking perhaps. Unless it's just me and one other person, I don't initiate anything. If it's just me and someone else one-on-one, I'll strike up a convo to avoid awkwardness. I shrink in groups. One on one is much more preferable in getting to know others...or, at max 2 or 3.
    Wow - I am not this way at all. FWIW, I don't think that's faulty thinking, though; I particularly like talking w people who are the way you've described yourself above. Maybe it's just introversion vs. extroversion - or maybe something else entirely, but anyway I don't see anything wrong w it....

Here's what made me wonder about this:
    From time to time I seek out new people or groups for the fun of whatever the activity is as well as to meet new people. As the most recent example, yesterday I went to play a sport I'd signed up for by myself [I'd intended to register to be on a friend's team, but it was full so I just went ahead and signed up as a "free agent"]. I didn't know anyone, and all of them except three, two of whom are a married couple, had known each other for almost ten years. We played the game, then went out for drinks afterwards and it was a lot of fun - I like talking w new people and sort of trying to figure them out. It made me remember how much I actually enjoy doing that: meeting new people and just... making friends w them, I guess.

I don't know that this is the place to do it, but wth if I derail a thread that I myself started, right? After reading and learning more about socionics, and comparing myself w things similar to what's in this thread, I'm pretty sure I'm niether SLI nor an introvert [and kind of embarassed, honestly, at how badly I appear to have mis-typed myself]. LOL at me ;-)
    Last edited by female; 03-20-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely antisocial...it's just something I would never consider exciting and it's never something I'd actively persue, ya know? I'd much rather be doing something else. What type do you think you are now?

Creepy-

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely antisocial...it's just something I would never consider exciting and it's never something I'd actively persue, ya know? I'd much rather be doing something else.
    No, I didn't think you were at all, from that answer or anything else. And like I've said, I'm not constantly outgoing and gregarious myself [lol at the very idea], but I do really enjoy learning about and getting to know new people a lot, to the point that I seek it out on purpose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I'm niether SLI nor an introvert [and kind of embarassed, honestly, at how badly I appear to have mis-typed myself]. LOL at me ;-)
    Are you EIE again?! GEEZ WOMAN GET IT STRAIGHT!
    IEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever/would you join a group or team sight unseen, as in an activity or sport you weren’t necessarily already good at, where you didn't know anyone beforehand?

If you wouldn’t, why not?

If you would, how easy or difficult would it probably be for you to introduce yourself to/talk with/get to know the people in group [who all know each other already], none of whom you’d met or seen before?
    I have my moments where I can readily just walk up and introduce and shortly entertain strangers for quite some time, but, the thing you gotta understand is that it tires the shit out of me. By the end of the night I would feel exhausted if I had to do that for a night.

So, if I saw a group like that,I don't think I would necesarily just walk up to them and ask to join in. There would honestly be no benefits...

Unless there was a hottie in there playing. Then i'd have to think about it.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - I am not this way at all.
    I'm not exactly that way either. I might not be the greatest initiator but I do try to use those type of situation when I find myself in one. I like meeting new people and making friends and I have no problem expressing that. The most common problem is usually the energy draining aspect these situations have me deal with. But when I'm not preoccupied with other things, I do as much as I can (in the sense of dedicating my time to people), as long as I like and feel comfortable with the ones I meet, of course.

And I don't think you should take people's self-typings here for granted. I mean, there's always the possibility of them being the mistyped ones, right? Just saying..
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.