Thread: 7 ways to be insufferable on Facebook

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default 7 ways to be insufferable on Facebook

Bar your windows, close your doors, you're about to get a knowledge bombing.

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-...-facebook.html

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okay.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna share this on Facebook.

...This was supposed to become some sort of a joke but actually that might be a good idea.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i've been annoyed and complained about most of these things at one point or another. but taking advice that's mostly about how to craft your image to make it look like you're not crafting an image is kind of ironic, no? also what the article lists as annoying is like 90% of facebook, lol. i actually kind of like hearing about the mundane details of the lives of people i know, like peeking into the window, and i've wished i could get over myself enough to make more posts about how my day is or whatever. I want to see more of that. I want to see that you're enjoying your bag of cheetos. id rather see that than a link to an article i could have found myself. but we all have our preferences.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gets shared on FB like crazy, usually by people who do the stuff themselves. It's kinda obvious what is annoying on facebook, and the sollution should be obvious too; block/unfriend/disable notices for those friends that annoy you. It's reeks of new-moralism and ignores the fact that the stuff he describes as hatefull is actually the sole reason FB exists (that and being a meatmarket for singles).

oh well...

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    This gets shared on FB like crazy, usually by people who do the stuff themselves. It's kinda obvious what is annoying on facebook, and the sollution should be obvious too; block/unfriend/disable notices for those friends that annoy you. It's reeks of new-moralism and ignores the fact that the stuff he describes as hatefull is actually the sole reason FB exists (that and being a meatmarket for singles).

oh well...
    Yeah, I've had to hide/block a lot of people that did this shit. One girl in particular comes to mind, where she'd do that undercover brag any time someone did ANYTHING that could be construed as hitting on her. It was really frustrating and showed her transparent low self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    The article was written by a Gamma NT.
    Very likely.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually only post about sad, depressing things.

like oh, a deer just got hit by a car.... dang guys, LIFE IS ALMOST OVER FOR US ALL, AMIRITE.

no one cares for my debbie downer stance.

**on another note**..... after actually going through the article, most people on FB that I know IRL (mostly coworkers who insisted on adding me even after I declined their requests a couple of times..) are the biggest fucking braggers. I barely log on in anymore.

and that I also get slightely depressed that people are constantly posting pics onto instagram. I get fairly grossed out when I go out to places and everyone is taking pictures of everyone or asking for someone to take a picture of them, or ask for them to be tagged in that picture...the entire fucking night. TAKE ME BACK TO THE EARLY 2000 SO I CAN ENJOY MY NIGHT.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and then sometimes I wish I took more pictures (not for FB..but simply to have..) because I'm the worst about never taking pictures... and then not having anything tangible to remember something by and that's quite sad as well

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I like bragging and I don't really mind others doing it. It's kinda the nature of the meatmarket that is Facebook.

If I were in a committed relation I'd probably agree with the article though... its just the dating site nature of Facebook that makes this acceptable for me.

Oh well..

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i had no idea facebook had a dating site nature. do other people get asked out by strangers on facebook? what is this

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined Facebook in 2005. I think that was the year after it expanded beyond Harvard, but it was still limited to just college students and you needed a .edu email address to join. It was still thefacebook.com, and it was essentially just a way for people to have an online directory of the social network they developed in college, with the added quirk of being able to send messages. I only vaguely remember what the original site looked like because it changed so quickly afterwards. The biggest thing, though, was that there was no News Feed that would transmit all your musings and doings and Likings to the whole of your network. When you logged on, you would be taken straight to your profile page. And there was no Status Update form at the top of the homepage. In fact, I remember thinking posting on your own Wall was some sort of faux pas back then. It was a weird thing to do. No one did it.

The idea still seems sort of bizarre to me. And what the article calls "Image Crafting" is pretty hilarious and also disturbing.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i had no idea facebook had a dating site nature. do other people get asked out by strangers on facebook? what is this
    Maybe the Betas do it.

TIM
    EII 4w5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Maybe it's just adding people you've already met IRL and then facebook chat flirting with them, idk.
    I mean, that's usually the way it worked with me, I would stalk their profiles and talk to them at the same time.
    I've been too withered and decrepit to flirt on facebook for years though, maybe things have changed.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I just cannot tolerate are the people who post pictures of their kids every single day. No one truly cares. I know no one really cares when I post a picture of my dog but the difference is that animals are actually cute and I control myself to just one-ish picture a month. Self control, people, self control.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    The thing I just cannot tolerate are the people who post pictures of their kids every single day. No one truly cares. I know no one really cares when I post a picture of my dog but the difference is that animals are actually cute and I control myself to just one-ish picture a month. Self control, people, self control.
    I always like pet pics, even if people post them a lot. Parents posting too many pics of kids bothers me because little kids have no control over their own privacy. (I think older kids will be embarrassed and tell them to stop.) What is wrong with people that they feel like they have to rush to their computer and post every detail of their kids's lives to the world?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I always like pet pics, even if people post them a lot.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 step plan:
    - delete your facebook account.
    - go outside and make money.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    - go into you cubicle, slave, and make money.
    yeah

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. Sometimes people brag because their self-esteem got genuinely raised and it's only natural to feel good about themselves for it. Not all gloom and doom.

2. Is this really as bad as being outright cruel and rude to somebody? I don't think so. Give me a break, it's a little emo and whiny but nothing to be mad at somebody about.

3. I mostly agree, but I've only heard this criticism 23472342897 times before that the criticizers are starting to sound way worse than anybody who still actually does this.

4. The author seems to think anything emotional and heartfelt is "Narcissism." Whatever.

5. Again, some people are just nice. Jesus. Why not go after the people actually doing harm in the world, you sociopath.

6. Kinda like what you did in #3? But I agree, this is probably the least annoying one.

7. Okay the last two were the best. I agree it's very annoying to preach to others like that. But I try to be forgiving to it if I know the person really does try to more or less practice it. It's really frustrating when people make those posts, but I know what a cunt they are lmao.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 ways to be insufferable on Facebook
    - have a facebook account
    - get on facebook
    - post status updates on facebook
    - talk irl about facebook
    - remind me that facebook exists
    - facebook,facebeoook, FACKEBOOK FAAAACCEBOOK
    - start threads about face book
    - GSHLGHSDGLHSDG

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Facebook works for me because when someone gets on my nerves, I don't show them in my newsfeed. Lots of problems solved.
    And it doesn't happen often that people get on my nerves, really.

One day one of my FB friends complained about people posting stuff about animal rescue and animal cruelty and that she doesn't want to look at it. I know it was partly aimed at me and frankly, I don't give a damn about what she wants to see or not (really, you complain about people trying to rescue animals? REALLY?!). Anyone is welcome to hide me from their newsfeed or defriend me. FB has enough features to customize, so I don't quite get the whining.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    yeah
    still better than being a slave to a flashing screen and a false sense of agency.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still better than being a slave to a flashing screen and a false sense of agency.
    not mutually exclusive.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2 step plan:
    - delete your facebook account.
    - go outside and make money.
    Step seven: delete your Socionics account what xerx already did.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 Ways to be insufferable on t16t.

(in no particular order...)

1) Be gay and keep talking about it
    2) Complain about white privilege
    3) Complain about moderation
    4) Talk about your past boyfriend or girlfriend, because everyone gives a shit.
    5) Post links to tinychat
    6) Derail chatbox
    7) Single word posts with someones 'type' especially if 'final confirmed'

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I present for your consideration the case of an insufferable facebook friend. She is an acquaintance who I have not seen in about 5 years who friend requested me. She likes to champion the suffering people of the world, posting multiple daily status updates about people that she knows, or knows of, who have serious health problems, or are recuperating from a serious accident, or people who may be under the influence of a cult, or are threatened by wildfires, etc. Her profile pic - rarely her own actual picture, it is usually a picture of a relative or acquaintance who has a serious medical condition, usually someone with a breathing tube, or no hair due to chemo. One time she went to casual friend's funeral and posted pictures of the corpse in the casket. She posted almost 100 pictures of the funeral. I had to unfollow her at that point. Before facebook, I thought of her as a sweet and cheerful person, who liked to talk a lot about her health problems. When the funeral pics were posted, I began to think she was a little deranged. (Hope she doesn't come to my funeral!) It's interesting how much facebook can reveal about people.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only if you enjoy putting the minimal amount of effort into your work / coast through life without a promotion / become a nobody
    you're the weakest link. ;]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    7 Ways to be insufferable on t16t.

(in no particular order...)

1) Be gay and keep talking about it
    2) Complain about white privilege
    3) Complain about moderation
    4) Talk about your past boyfriend or girlfriend, because everyone gives a shit.
    5) Post links to tinychat
    6) Derail chatbox
    7) Single word posts with someones 'type' especially if 'final confirmed'
    make long-winded "anaconda" typing threads full of trivial personal details that suffocate any brave soul that attempts to read through them

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

^ Post more than three times a day -- unless it is about something that is deemed socially acceptable by some arbitrary consensus.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Do as myself: no Facebook account, 0 hassle

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    you're the weakest link. ;]
    .. of a more important chain than yours, bub.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ath View Post
    So when this important chain fails, you're to blame?
    more than one weak link to put the blame on