Thread: Would you change aspects of your lifestyle in exchange for money?

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would you change aspects of your lifestyle in exchange for money?

If you answered 'yes' - great!

October 1 is World Vegetarian Day, kicking off awareness for the month of October. There are many reasons (ethical, health, environmental, etc) to switch to a vegetarian diet, and for myself personally it's that of animal rights. Because no animal life is of lesser value than a human life. Of course, not everybody will feel the same in this manner - but what if you could get money in exchange for switching to a vegetarian diet? Well, you can!

All it takes is your pledge and agreeing to abstain from meat consumption throughout the month of October, and you could [potentially] win up to $1,000.

If you have ever considered what it would be like to become vegetarian for whatever reason(s), whether it be health or ethical concerns, but could never find the motivation - perhaps this is your chance! A win-win for all.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assumed this wasn't a rhetorical question EXCEPT

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roro View Post
    If you answered 'yes' - great!

October 1 is World Vegetarian Day, kicking off awareness for the month of October. There are many reasons (ethical, health, environmental, etc) to switch to a vegetarian diet, and for myself personally it's that of animal rights. Because no animal life is of lesser value than a human life. Of course, not everybody will feel the same in this manner - but what if you could get money in exchange for switching to a vegetarian diet? Well, you can!

All it takes is your pledge and agreeing to abstain from meat consumption throughout the month of October, and you could [potentially] win up to $1,000.

If you have ever considered what it would be like to become vegetarian for whatever reason(s), whether it be health or ethical concerns, but could never find the motivation - perhaps this is your chance! A win-win for all.
    Cows are dumb if they were smart we wouldn't be eating them

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Cows are dumb if they were smart we wouldn't be eating them
    People eat dolphins and elephants and they're said to be highly intelligent creatures with complex social systems.
    (Also, using something's smartness as a guide on whether they are edible might lead to cannibalism.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    People eat dolphins and elephants and they're said to be highly intelligent creatures with complex social systems.
    (Also, using something's smartness as a guide on whether they are edible might lead to cannibalism.)
    I don't see them having cities and driving around in cars etc. I get your point re canibalism It was sort of tongue and cheek but I will meander slightly in the second paragraph lol

Animals will eat or kill those things that are weaker than them should they wish to. I also don't see why it is wrong to kill I mean there are all sorts of societal exceptions like self defence or euthanasia - this is the real meat and potatoes when you get to the crux of making a non eating meat decision for real.

Also re vegetarians - cows have to go through the anguish of being separated from their calves and then the pain of being hooked up to milking machines, I don't see how this is an ethically enlightened way to treat an animal at all, what do you think?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    I don't see them having cities and driving around in cars etc. I get your point re canibalism It was sort of tongue and cheek but I will meander slightly in the second paragraph lol

Animals will eat or kill those things that are weaker than them should they wish to. I also don't see why it is wrong to kill I mean there are all sorts of societal exceptions like self defence or euthanasia - this is the real meat and potatoes when you get to the crux of making a non eating meat decision for real.

Also re vegetarians - cows have to go through the anguish of being separated from their calves and then the pain of being hooked up to milking machines, I don't see how this is an ethically enlightened way to treat an animal at all, what do you think?
    Regarding cars and cities...they don't have hands and fingers for making tools...which is how our intelligence evolved to that point.

And yeah, my whole response earlier was with a quirky smile.

As to the rest, i can't answer for vegetarians, but I think vegans are against milking cows, etc, too.

Vegetarians vote by not eating meat. Which I figure is fine, but if everyone turned vegetarian, then the animals would have no place to live, noone to care for them, no way to get food for themselves. Also, we would be wiping them out due to them now being competitors for our vegetarian foods. Zoos might have a few, though. And there would probably be a number of accidental road kills. And they would be in competition with other wildlife, thereby dropping THOSE numbers as well. Basically, I guess I don't see vegetarianism has being all that great of an answer to the problem of industrialized meat factories.

Myself, I'm an omnivore. But I try to get most of my meat from smaller farms. I get my red meat from a local buffalo ranch. When you pull in you get to see a herd of females with their young ones, and in seperate quarters are the young adult males. They are all moved around the pastures according to grass growth, and the size of the herd is in accordance to how much space and grass is growing. I pay almost $9/lb for ground bison. This is 2-4x what most people pay for industrialized beef. I'm willing to pay that much because the animals are treated well and eat similar to their natural habitat. Also, spending that much means we eat less of it than if it were much less expensive.

I get my eggs from a guy down the street. I get to see the chickens out and about, scratching away in the compost bin as they dig up worms and such instead of being forcefed a "vegetarian diet" of grains. I pay $2/dzn.

I'm trying to get away from dairy for health reasons. But about a half hour away is a farm that grows pastured beef and pork (tho pork care is obviously different), milk, cream, cheese, and yogurt. It's way more expensive than store bought. I'm not sure how the milking cows are treated, so that adds to my hesitation to buy much dairy. (Though we do eat quite a bit of cheese, it's always a conflict for me.)

As for the death part, I figure a long as it's done humanely, with consideration and respect for the creature, then it's hopefully better than how the animal would have died in the wild (starvation, injury, hunted down and mauled, all its last few days/hours in fear). And hopefully its life has been less stressful than it would have been in the wild (searching for food, running from predators, trying to find shelter or safety, etc.). Unfortunately industrialized meat factories don't provide this better life/death for the animals. Which is why I vote with my dollar by spending it to support those who do.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not change my lifestyle for money. But I do feel bad for the animals. Just not enough not to enjoy my meat...

btw i is think money is a terribly bad motivator for what's essentially a lifestyle choice

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i would change my lifestyle for money but not for a small chance of money hah.

i can see some benefits to vegetarianism and i dont like the idea of tortured animals but i can't muster the passion to convert.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yes. but i just don't really go for "potentially." i mean it would have to be "actually." plus i have been a vegetarian before, for a great many years, and no one paid me for it! in any case there are a lot of things i'd be willing to do for a large sum of money. but satan just won't tempt me like this because satan doesn't exist. it really is unfortunate. i have now confessed my greed and still this satan does nothing about it. talk about disappointing.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monkey metamorphosis month!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Monkey metamorphosis month!
    satan?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    satan?
    I've been known by that epithet.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been known by that epithet.
    ah but you don't deliver my millions for vegetarianism, therefore you are no real satan. being a shrewd individual i can identify imposters like this. (like, o.m.g., so clever of me)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah but you don't deliver my millions for vegetarianism, therefore you are no real satan. being a shrewd individual i can identify imposters like this. (like, o.m.g., so clever of me)
    You go gurl!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You go gurl!
    your encouragement is much deserved for few could manage such as i have in my shrewdness. i shall go down in the annals.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your encouragement is much deserved for few could manage such as i have in my shrewdness. i shall go down in the annals.
    The alcoves are beautiful during this season. If let's say, I had to take care of something like that. I would use the alcoves.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The alcoves are beautiful during this season. If let's say, I had to take care of something like that. I would use the alcoves.
    you speak in a nonsense beyond my imagining.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you speak in a nonsense beyond my imagining.
    If you had recognized that reference, you would have had my respect.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you had recognized that reference, you would have had my respect.
    how hideous.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how hideous.
    No, just pain tedious.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, just pain tedious.
    pfft at you, not-satan. i care not for your references that are meaningless to me. satan would surely provide references that i would know, for satan would know that i know of them, and satan would use them to flatter. then satan would present the riches and ensnare my soul, though i would be foolish and unknowing. you have proven your not-satan-ness.