Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping Enneagram Type 6 with anxiety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Helping Enneagram Type 6 with anxiety

Any advice?

My mom, and one of my closest friends are both obvious E6s. They are very dependent on their friends and family, very loyal, etc. and very, very anxious.

I have tried with no avail to calm their anxiety. I have explained as rationally and reassuringly as I can that there is no reason for them to worry as much as they do. They both are not at any risk of becoming homeless, friendless, losing their job (in the case of my mom), or failing out of college (in the case of my friend), but they seem to endlessly worry about just those things. Or anything else that could potentially be a problem. My friend has resorted to pills to help her anxiety, and it has somehow led to intense memory loss, to the point that she can't remember most of her childhood. I believe it would be better for her to try some kind of therapy. I'm no therapist, but she can't afford therapy, so I'm hoping that some of the 6s around here (or anyone knowledgeable about enneagram) could give me some advice?

As an E6, what are some things that, were they said to you (or done for you, etc), would calm you down immensely during times of stress? And do you have any idea why my attempts at reassurance have no effect? More details can be given if necessary.

Unrelated pictures are also welcome.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm a possible 6w7 so my take on this is that only a couple things have really helped in lowering anxiety. Number one is meditation and I notice a big difference on the days I do meditate and the days I don't. It's like night and day almost really, Jekyll and Hyde. Next is exercise and not only does it lower one's anxiety, but it also does an excellent job at improving mood. The last is taking vitamins and the ones that seemed to help for me are Omega 3 and Vitamin B12, but it takes at least several weeks to begin noticing a difference.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pills usually make things worse. When I was taking benzos I think half of my brain just disappeared not to mention my anxiety was thru the rough when I tried to stop taking it. The things that help me are distractions, helping me see how negative I'm being and getting me out of my head by telling me how ridiculous I'm being...making things lighthearted and joking about it helps also and helping me see the future in a positive light usually always bring me peace of mind and a more positive outlook.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From my experience with E6s, I'd say just be their friend. If anxieties show up, try a lighthearted laugh at the absurdities. If they aren't absurd, find a logical solution. I'm sure you can do that.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Face your fears head on. And win. It's all about that. Keep trying until you beat your fears. If you have a fear, figure out how to beat it. The anxiety will never go away but you can alleviate the fears that cause it, one by one by one by one by one bye one bye one lol. And one day you will find yourself free

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2 What Raver said. Ever since I began pushing my physical limitations, I have felt a sense of accomplishment and a peace of mind I lacked prior. Exercise, movement does a being good. I admit I haven't done much meditation, but the times I have, it has helped. I think a balance between activity and inactivity of those kinds can bring a person to a certain equilibrium. I also find utilizing talents and hobbies help such as writing, music, art...to create and to have something tangible to show for one's capabilities. Confidence, after all, counteracts the otherwise overwhelming anxiety.

source: being E6

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    From my experience with E6s, I'd say just be their friend. If anxieties show up, try a lighthearted laugh at the absurdities.
    Yeah sometimes I don't realize how overly dramatic I'm being and it's usually hilarious when someone notices and calls me out on it and brings me back to reality. Sometimes you can just get too stuck in your head.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do people find it amusing though? Or exhausting to deal with? I sometimes feel my dramatics annoy others and burn them out. I would personally think it's cute and funny to a certain extent.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeayeayea, the thing is, that I find that many other types act on anxiety/worry and go ape bat shit over normal situations that I don't feel any abnormal anxiety over. The more i watch people, the more I realize that it's relative. It's not about type as much as it is about individuals and the way their senses, emotions, and minds work together with experience/situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I'm a possible 6w7 so my take on this is that only a couple things have really helped in lowering anxiety. Number one is meditation and I notice a big difference on the days I do meditate and the days I don't. It's like night and day almost really, Jekyll and Hyde. Next is exercise and not only does it lower one's anxiety, but it also does an excellent job at improving mood. The last is taking vitamins and the ones that seemed to help for me are Omega 3 and Vitamin B12, but it takes at least several weeks to begin noticing a difference.
    Aggh! I have told her to try meditation so many times, but she never listens. I even bought her a meditations KIT, and I don't think she's even opened it. I doubt she would exercise. She's very into remedies like vitamins and the like, so I will recommend her those vitamins. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Pills usually make things worse. When I was taking benzos I think half of my brain just disappeared not to mention my anxiety was thru the rough when I tried to stop taking it. The things that help me are distractions, helping me see how negative I'm being and getting me out of my head by telling me how ridiculous I'm being...making things lighthearted and joking about it helps also and helping me see the future in a positive light usually always bring me peace of mind and a more positive outlook.
    Thank you! She definitely uses distractions - youtube videos are her favorite. I will try lightheartedness. That actually never occurred to me - I usually automatically take a serious explanatory front when she greets me with her problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    From my experience with E6s, I'd say just be their friend. If anxieties show up, try a lighthearted laugh at the absurdities. If they aren't absurd, find a logical solution. I'm sure you can do that.
    Lightheartedness again, good. And yep, definitely got the logical thing covered. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    Face your fears head on. And win. It's all about that. Keep trying until you beat your fears. If you have a fear, figure out how to beat it. The anxiety will never go away but you can alleviate the fears that cause it, one by one by one by one by one bye one bye one lol.
    She's actually very good at this, but she still worries! Haha, I don't understand it. I think that this could either be the solution, or would just result in an endless battle, constantly finding new things to worry about and new problems to solve, almost in an OCD-like way. Hopefully though, she would just become stronger, so strong that new problems would look like bugs to her - easily squashed.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I usually prefer to just be left alone and try to figure things out on my own. For the most part, words of encouragement, exercising, meditation, etc. don't help me that much. Luckily, I think I'm pretty calm for the most part - I typically only start to feel a lot of anxiety when there is too much 'chaos' or 'instability' in my external world. But I continuously and frantically search for solutions until everything is stable again. It works.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I think, knowing their socionics types would be more helpful, honestly.

Generally speaking anxiety is an emotion that can be used to effectively help someone deal with their problems and even build creative ways to come out of them; however, anxiety can be quite dangerous for introverts who pull further and further into their thoughts, ignoring external activity of things and this is where determining if they are E or I is helpful.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    There isn't much constructive you can do with E6s to assuage their anxieties once they breach critical mass, except leave them alone, let them burn themselves out, and hope they come back intact to their senses.
    Interesting. That actually reminds me of my behavior as an E5. I will work obsessively on finding a solution to whatever problem I'm interested in at whatever moment, and there's really nothing anyone can do to convince me not to, until I get tired, or realize that it doesn't matter or I'm not going to solve it any time soon.

It's almost like the same inner tension that exists inside us all is perceived or felt differently by each E type, and dealt with in accordingly different ways.

I hope that's not an accidental regurgitation of basic enneagram theory.
    Do people find it amusing though? Or exhausting to deal with? I sometimes feel my dramatics annoy others and burn them out. I would personally think it's cute and funny to a certain extent.
    I don't mind that she comes to me with her problems, though I find it frustrating when she ignores my advice. It's not that she doesn't take it. I understand she has the right to do as she pleases. But she doesn't even comment on it. I have no idea if I'm helping her or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerorobyn View Post
    To be honest, I usually prefer to just be left alone and try to figure things out on my own. For the most part, words of encouragement, exercising, meditation, etc. don't help me that much. Luckily, I think I'm pretty calm for the most part - I typically only start to feel a lot of anxiety when there is too much 'chaos' or 'instability' in my external world. But I continuously and frantically search for solutions until everything is stable again. It works.
    I think she feels different about being left alone, because she'll usually mention to me that she's stressed, which leads me to believe she wants help. Who knows, maybe she just wants to talk about it. Hmm.
    Last edited by Miso Soup; 05-12-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: put the wrong damn number in my E-type

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miso Soup View Post
    I have explained as rationally and reassuringly as I can that there is no reason for them to worry as much as they do.
    That is what you're doing wrong.

If these individuals are Fe base types they don't need Te they need Ti.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I think, knowing their socionics types would be more helpful, honestly.

Generally speaking anxiety is an emotion that can be used to effectively help someone deal with their problems and even build creative ways to come out of them; however, anxiety can be quite dangerous for introverts who pull further and further into their thoughts, ignoring external activity of things and this is where determining if they are E or I is helpful.
    That's a good point (about anxiety being useful). But her's is too strong. Her anxiety is so strong that a chemical is released in her stomach which eats away at the lining of it, so it's actually dangerous for her not to take her medication. I think it does help her overcome her problems, but she needs to find a way to subside it once its uses have been exhausted.

I unfortunately do not know her socionic type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what you're doing wrong.
    Why do you believe that?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Why do you believe that?
    I understand IBS and extreme cases of anxiety induced autonomic nerous system responses. The reason why I said the approach is wrong is because you've used it to no avail. Reason goes to show that if you use something/some method a few times, and it doesn't work, likely you should try another method. You are a Te base type, you strive to solve a problem with "well, this is what you should do" or "do this, this and this." These are things to do. Typing them will help you determine if they need Ti instead of Te. Ti helps sort out thoughts into categories rather than giving a solution and allows the person to reach a solution themselves; that's one approach.

You focus on cause and effect too much. Try some other methods.
    -

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any advice?

My mom, and one of my closest friends are both obvious E6s. They are very dependent on their friends and family, very loyal, etc. and very, very anxious.

I have tried with no avail to calm their anxiety. I have explained as rationally and reassuringly as I can that there is no reason for them to worry as much as they do. They both are not at any risk of becoming homeless, friendless, losing their job (in the case of my mom), or failing out of college (in the case of my friend), but they seem to endlessly worry about just those things. Or anything else that could potentially be a problem. My friend has resorted to pills to help her anxiety, and it has somehow led to intense memory loss, to the point that she can't remember most of her childhood. I believe it would be better for her to try some kind of therapy. I'm no therapist, but she can't afford therapy, so I'm hoping that some of the 6s around here (or anyone knowledgeable about enneagram) could give me some advice?

As an E6, what are some things that, were they said to you (or done for you, etc), would calm you down immensely during times of stress? And do you have any idea why my attempts at reassurance have no effect? More details can be given if necessary.

Unrelated pictures are also welcome.
    Platitudes (assurances that everything is ok and nothing is wrong) are meaningless. You can't guarantee anything unless you have a) inside knowledge AND b) the willingness and ability to control the situation which they are anxious about.

Ime, it helps to have a few game plans that I can fall back on. I may never ever need them, but just knowing ahead of time what my options may be, helps me tremendously.

For example: one of my absolute biggest fears right now is what happens to me and my 16yo daughter IF something happens to Richard? The house is in his name. We aren't married. And his savings and monetary stuff all go to his sister. I'm on an extremely limited income but gave up my housing assistance (they paid most my housing rent) so that he and I could live with each other. It takes over four years to get back on the list for an opening. My income wouldn't be able to even afford the base monthly payments, certainly not the insurance, maintenance and repairs, nor yearly fees, etc. Nor would it cover the costs to travel into town and back to work a job...not that I can even hold a job...there's a reason I am on social security disability.

Now, I've been homeless before, and am not afraid to be homeless again. However, things would be different. I'd have a teen to take care of, dress, get to school, worry about child services and custody shit, etc. i also have physical health issues now that I didn,t have the first two times I was homeless.

Basically...IF something were to happen to him, I'm completely and utterly screwed.

So I spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out a game plan. Cuz face it...while I'm losing everything, all my much needed stability...I'll also be dealing with the loss of him. It's a very scary thought!! And there is no way in hell that ANYone can guarantee that it won't happen! So telling me not to worry about it is akin to telling me you (the person saying it) doesn't grasp the emmensity of what I'd be facing...OR..ya don't give a shit what happens to me.

So, how am I dealing with it? By trying to figure out a list of options and resources that would be available to me should it be needed. Such as...
    * obtaining now a working, reliable vehicle which I could sleep in, such as a minivan w seats that can form a bed, or seats that can be removed and a storage/bedding area built. (like what my dad had done with his van for camping purposes)
    * a list of possible parking places that would be legal and safe to sleep at
    * a list of ways to feed us both, without requiring a fridge, freezer, stove, etc.
    * a list of ways to access bathrooms, showers, drinking water, etc.
    * developing skills and/or obtaining knowledge which might be useful/needed
    * obtaining physical resources that would be needed, and have them readily available, now...while I have the monetary funding to obtain them
    *etc etc

Basically...having a game plan or two, or three...

Ask them. If [insert fear], what would that mean to them? How would that change their life? And what kinds of resources do they expect would be needed?...and which of those do they have now?...and which are they willing to obtain/learn so they would be better prepared?

Have them prioritize the necessity of each resource in relation to the other ideas they have of it. If they had resource A but not B, or B but not A...which would be more important to have prepared?

Then have them keep this list...or keep remaking it as needed...and try to get them to focus on obtaining the necessary ones, one at a time.

Ok, so you're worried about what might happen if you fail college. What do you anticipate would happen if you failed college? How would your life change? What kinds of ACTIONS can you take to allieviate the problems of those changes? What kinds of actions can you take to reduce the risks of failing college?....and gradually narrow things down until they have a list of actions they can take now...or if it happens. (actions may include researching needed information...or talking with an experienced person)

-------
    Be careful though. You are not responsible for other people unless you personally accept and take on that responsibility. These are THEIR concerns, THEIR emotions, and THEIR thoughts/etc. If they are functioning adults, they need to learn to be functioning adults. Asking questions designed to help them plan out a safety net is one thing...offering to do the work for them, or carry the brunt of their safety on your shoulders...is not good for YOUR health!
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does enneagram have 'duals'? If so, what's a 6's dual? lol

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Here's a good link that delves into this: http://www.similarminds.com/idealtypes.html
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It doesn't. But if it did, I'm pretty sure the 6s would be the ones left out. Data shows every type can be a 6. That might be true of the other E-types, but it isn't shown in the data (yet).

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote a post about how E6s operate on EIDB recently:

Quote Originally Posted by Galen
    My take on the subject is that 6s are inherently, and oft times uncontrollably, distrustful of their own abilities, which they can then project onto the world around them. As a 6 myself, I often find the greatest solace to whatever problems I'm fabricating in my mind is that "whatever bull[blocked] comes along, I am strong enough and capable enough to deal with it." 6s habitually lose track of their own abilities to deal with the world, capabilities which are often always there in the first place but can't be cognitively grasped onto. In this way 6s mentally project their own inability to comprehend their strength onto themselves, causing them to view themselves as completely subsumed in external circumstances they have no say in; you'll find a lot of 6 artists and songwriters moaning about things that are happening to them as if they have immediately caved into the demands that the world pushes upon them. Conversely, this projection of superiority onto the outside world can cause the 6 to grow restless and needing to break free from whatever is pushing them down; most people know this as the counterphobic variant.

In this way, I don't see the 6 fixations so much based in fear in and of itself, as I've seen lots of people describe. Rather, I posit that as with all attachment triad types (3, 6, 9), the 6s main problem deals with self-forgetting and nebulousness. For 3s, the self-image or identity is the nebulous, ungraspable thing; 9s habitually forget their own desires; and 6s have difficulty grasping onto their problem-solving capabilities. I don't see the characteristic 6 anxiety as the primary issue as much as it is merely a symptom of the core neurosis.
    In short, E6 anxiety stems from lack of confidence in their own capabilities to deal with the world. When this happens, they forget about their own abilities and instead aggrandize the circumstances around them that bring them down, in turn justifying to themselves that they're helpless to do anything about it. The more they focus on the outside world, the more ungrounded and reactive they become.

Personally, the only real solace I can find in moments like these is to know that while there may be problems facing me, I am indeed strong enough to overcome them. By knowing full well what it is I want out of life, it becomes that much easier to place the external problems into context and deal with them accordingly. When a 6 is more entranced, it becomes that much harder to understand what he/she truly needs, so something from within has to break that cycle and take action to ensure that his/her desires come to fruition.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like being E6, I want a new type.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Galen's post brings up another option, that of asking them about times when they've dealt successful with either a similar situation...or an intense situation. This helps remind them that they HAVE survived and gotten through scary/stressful times, which also helps build up their confidence.

----
    The big thing is...their answers and possible solutions have to come from themselves...not from you telling them what to do. The most you can do, realistically, is try to guide their mind towards something more productive or solution oriented.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Platitudes (assurances that everything is ok and nothing is wrong) are meaningless. You can't guarantee anything unless you have a) inside knowledge AND b) the willingness and ability to control the situation which they are anxious about.

Ime, it helps to have a few game plans that I can fall back on. I may never ever need them, but just knowing ahead of time what my options may be, helps me tremendously.

For example: one of my absolute biggest fears right now is what happens to me and my 16yo daughter IF something happens to Richard? The house is in his name. We aren't married. And his savings and monetary stuff all go to his sister. I'm on an extremely limited income but gave up my housing assistance (they paid most my housing rent) so that he and I could live with each other. It takes over four years to get back on the list for an opening. My income wouldn't be able to even afford the base monthly payments, certainly not the insurance, maintenance and repairs, nor yearly fees, etc. Nor would it cover the costs to travel into town and back to work a job...not that I can even hold a job...there's a reason I am on social security disability.

Now, I've been homeless before, and am not afraid to be homeless again. However, things would be different. I'd have a teen to take care of, dress, get to school, worry about child services and custody shit, etc. i also have physical health issues now that I didn,t have the first two times I was homeless.

Basically...IF something were to happen to him, I'm completely and utterly screwed.

So I spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out a game plan. Cuz face it...while I'm losing everything, all my much needed stability...I'll also be dealing with the loss of him. It's a very scary thought!! And there is no way in hell that ANYone can guarantee that it won't happen! So telling me not to worry about it is akin to telling me you (the person saying it) doesn't grasp the emmensity of what I'd be facing...OR..ya don't give a shit what happens to me.

So, how am I dealing with it? By trying to figure out a list of options and resources that would be available to me should it be needed. Such as...
    * obtaining now a working, reliable vehicle which I could sleep in, such as a minivan w seats that can form a bed, or seats that can be removed and a storage/bedding area built. (like what my dad had done with his van for camping purposes)
    * a list of possible parking places that would be legal and safe to sleep at
    * a list of ways to feed us both, without requiring a fridge, freezer, stove, etc.
    * a list of ways to access bathrooms, showers, drinking water, etc.
    * developing skills and/or obtaining knowledge which might be useful/needed
    * obtaining physical resources that would be needed, and have them readily available, now...while I have the monetary funding to obtain them
    *etc etc

Basically...having a game plan or two, or three...

Ask them. If [insert fear], what would that mean to them? How would that change their life? And what kinds of resources do they expect would be needed?...and which of those do they have now?...and which are they willing to obtain/learn so they would be better prepared?

Have them prioritize the necessity of each resource in relation to the other ideas they have of it. If they had resource A but not B, or B but not A...which would be more important to have prepared?

Then have them keep this list...or keep remaking it as needed...and try to get them to focus on obtaining the necessary ones, one at a time.

Ok, so you're worried about what might happen if you fail college. What do you anticipate would happen if you failed college? How would your life change? What kinds of ACTIONS can you take to allieviate the problems of those changes? What kinds of actions can you take to reduce the risks of failing college?....and gradually narrow things down until they have a list of actions they can take now...or if it happens. (actions may include researching needed information...or talking with an experienced person)

-------
    Be careful though. You are not responsible for other people unless you personally accept and take on that responsibility. These are THEIR concerns, THEIR emotions, and THEIR thoughts/etc. If they are functioning adults, they need to learn to be functioning adults. Asking questions designed to help them plan out a safety net is one thing...offering to do the work for them, or carry the brunt of their safety on your shoulders...is not good for YOUR health!
    Thank you. I have a feeling that this would tremendously help my mom. Her main fear she brings up is very similar to yours: "What would happen to you (meaning me) IF something happened to me?" So the gameplan wouldn't help with that particular fear, but in her others - losing her job, having to move again (which she will, because she has to sell her house to be able to afford her debt), having to find another job. I now plan to follow your advice for her, though not for my friend, as she's "not a future thinker." She doesn't like it when I give her advice relating to future investments.

Creepy-male

Anxiety is the worse, I'm relatively calm but occasionally it can surge up like a storm, most of the time its honestly other people. Something that they say or do doesn't sit right with me and I worry about it, it usually is intensified by considering what their actions or ideas would mean if it spread rapidly through society like a mass outbreak. Things I'm most anxious about:

1) cults and people that want to indoctrinate you
    2) mob justice and lynching
    3) character assassination in mass media
    4) people being disingenuous and phony to get something out of me
    5) people attempting to emotionally manipulate me or control me
    6) being accused of something I didn't do and being powerless to prove my innocence
    7) dying of something stupid by taking an unnecessary risk
    8) being condemned to a fixed social role (especially a negative one)
    9) being attacked or exploited when I am vulnerable or weak
    10) people taking credit for my actions or ideas due to superior social standing
    11) being fully isolated from other people
    12) coming across too "haughty", "arrogant" or "victimy" to other people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand IBS and extreme cases of anxiety induced autonomic nerous system responses. The reason why I said the approach is wrong is because you've used it to no avail. Reason goes to show that if you use something/some method a few times, and it doesn't work, likely you should try another method. You are a Te base type, you strive to solve a problem with "well, this is what you should do" or "do this, this and this." These are things to do. Typing them will help you determine if they need Ti instead of Te. Ti helps sort out thoughts into categories rather than giving a solution and allows the person to reach a solution themselves; that's one approach.

You focus on cause and effect too much. Try some other methods.
    Ah, okay. I think she values Fe. That's a start.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Thank you. I have a feeling that this would tremendously help my mom. Her main fear she brings up is very similar to yours: "What would happen to you (meaning me) IF something happened to me?" So the gameplan wouldn't help with that particular fear, but in her others - losing her job, having to move again (which she will, because she has to sell her house to be able to afford her debt), having to find another job. I now plan to follow your advice for her, though not for my friend, as she's "not a future thinker." She doesn't like it when I give her advice relating to future investments.
    But, if your mom was an Ne type she would have game plans to fall back on too; this won't work in her case.
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I wrote a post about how E6s operate on EIDB recently:

In short, E6 anxiety stems from lack of confidence in their own capabilities to deal with the world. When this happens, they forget about their own abilities and instead aggrandize the circumstances around them that bring them down, in turn justifying to themselves that they're helpless to do anything about it. The more they focus on the outside world, the more ungrounded and reactive they become.

Personally, the only real solace I can find in moments like these is to know that while there may be problems facing me, I am indeed strong enough to overcome them. By knowing full well what it is I want out of life, it becomes that much easier to place the external problems into context and deal with them accordingly. When a 6 is more entranced, it becomes that much harder to understand what he/she truly needs, so something from within has to break that cycle and take action to ensure that his/her desires come to fruition.
    Yes!! Ahh! This is so true!
    1. She has told me multiple times that she sees herself as being a weak person - that she admires me for being strong. Meanwhile I'm thinking, what are you talking about? I have done nothing that shows any more strength than you, other than having confidence in what strength I do have.
    2. She talks about her family as if they own her - as if she has no say in what they decide for her and her life.
    3. She asks me what I think of her personality, often. I suppose this could be a way she copes with her self-forgetting. She is extremely forgetful in general. I will repeat what I said before, that she has very little memory of her childhood. She asks me about how she was when she was younger as well. I answer her questions, but have always been puzzled by them.

In regards to your comment on how to overcome the anxiety, although I can't think for her, I will try to coax these kinds of thoughts out of her the next time she comes to me with her problems.

Thank you!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ah, okay. I think she values Fe. That's a start.
    Ok, Fe types need to trust you. Even if you think they trust you, they may not fully trust you enough to say everything to you and if they do they may just tell you things in parts. The way to go about dealing with the Fe type is to listen to all of their problems and don't think of the solution. Try to differentiate their emotions and what objects those emotions are following. A familiar example is an Fe type young lady fell in love with a certain gentleman and he broke up with her after some time; her emotions followed him. The object being him; she expressed her emotions in vivid tones, laughing, joking, very lively and bold kinds. They are interjected with question of thought. "Do you think he still thinks about me?" The proper responses to them include well this or that, in category formation with some hint of what may happen if this or that; he is thinking of you and he is not thinking of you; these things show he's thinking of you and if he is these things will result; he is not and these will result. The objective is to paint the inner thought process, to enhance it and bring it into a conception (or conceptual thought) thereby discharging the emotional tie to the object and focusing it back into the person's thought. You have to paint the picture from both perspectives in order for it to be a concept because what tends to happen with Fe is that they latch on to their emotions and judge so harshly only thinking of one hyper-exaggerated judgment and thought.
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    @Galen's post brings up another option, that of asking them about times when they've dealt successful with either a similar situation...or an intense situation. This helps remind them that they HAVE survived and gotten through scary/stressful times, which also helps build up their confidence.

----
    The big thing is...their answers and possible solutions have to come from themselves...not from you telling them what to do. The most you can do, realistically, is try to guide their mind towards something more productive or solution oriented.
    haha wow! I just had the same idea in response to Galen's post. Then I scroll up and see it in your comment. Guess we're on the same page.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. She asks me what I think of her personality, often. I suppose this could be a way she copes with her self-forgetting. She is extremely forgetful in general. I will repeat what I said before, that she has very little memory of her childhood. She asks me about how she was when she was younger as well. I answer her questions, but have always been puzzled by them.
    I have the same problem with memory. I honestly don't know if it's because I was on those pills for 3 years or if it's something related to anxiety. My childhood and teenage years and even some of my 20's is really hard for me to remember....like there's a few key points I remember but it's still cloudy and just seems like a blur. I'm also extremely forgetful when it comes to simple things like managing to get out of the house without forgetting a trillion things..i attribute that to thinking about so damn much all the time. It's such a curse.

Creepy-pokeball

#E6WorldProblems lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Your mom sounds like ISTp
    -

Creepy-pokeball

I made a chart on this, but Im not done completing it. However, with that said, certain patterns exist. 3vs9, 7vs5 & 8vs4, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Anxiety is the worse, I'm relatively calm but occasionally it can surge up like a storm, most of the time its honestly other people. Something that they say or do doesn't sit right with me and I worry about it, it usually is intensified by considering what their actions or ideas would mean if it spread rapidly through society like a mass outbreak. Things I'm most anxious about:

1) cults and people that want to indoctrinate you

3) character assassination in mass media
    4) people being disingenuous and phony to get something out of me
    5) people attempting to emotionally manipulate me or control me
    6) being accused of something I didn't do and being powerless to prove my innocence
    7) dying of something stupid by taking an unnecessary risk
    8) being condemned to a fixed social role (especially a negative one)
    9) being attacked or exploited when I am vulnerable or weak
    10) people taking credit for my actions or ideas due to superior social standing

12) coming across too "haughty", "arrogant" or "victimy" to other people
    These things are all strongly indicative of being E8.
    I also relate to them, especially the phobia of being manipulated and casually exploited by people I associate with. God.
    8 is second in my tritype.

Creepy-male

These things are all strongly indicative of being E8.
    I also relate to them, especially the phobia of being manipulated and casually exploited by people I associate with. God.
    8 is second in my tritype.
    Yea my initial reaction to the enneagram was an e8 self typing, but people I talked about this with in real life thought I fit e5 better because at the time (before I was active on this forum) they said I was more intellectual, isolated, and heady. I've always related to both types though and especially the integration/disintegration between e8 and e5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, Fe types need to trust you. Even if you think they trust you, they may not fully trust you enough to say everything to you and if they do they may just tell you things in parts. The way to go about dealing with the Fe type is to listen to all of their problems and don't think of the solution. Try to differentiate their emotions and what objects those emotions are following. A familiar example is an Fe type young lady fell in love with a certain gentleman and he broke up with her after some time; her emotions followed him. The object being him; she expressed her emotions in vivid tones, laughing, joking, very lively and bold kinds. They are interjected with question of thought. "Do you think he still thinks about me?" The proper responses to them include well this or that, in category formation with some hint of what may happen if this or that; he is thinking of you and he is not thinking of you; these things show he's thinking of you and if he is these things will result; he is not and these will result. The objective is to paint the inner thought process, to enhance it and bring it into a conception (or conceptual thought) thereby discharging the emotional tie to the object and focusing it back into the person's thought. You have to paint the picture from both perspectives in order for it to be a concept because what tends to happen with Fe is that they latch on to their emotions and judge so harshly only thinking of one hyper-exaggerated judgment and thought.
    I have always doubted that she trusted me fully, even though I've been her friend for 8 years. I suspect her memory loss would have some affect on her ability to trust, as well.

Your mom sounds like ISTp
    That's actually what I've always suspected her type to be; she's always talking about her health, what she's been eating, how cozy or warm different articles of clothing she has are, the soreness of her body... she is completely indifferent to the social atmosphere. She can express her feelings and sentiments, and she definitely does, but she has little care for how it affects the moods of others, or how it relates to the prevalent atmosphere. My friends have made jokes about her icy stare before.

Oh and she's always coming up with CREATIVE ways of making the household more efficient or structured ("I turned this random piece of wood I pulled out of who-knows-where into a dowel to hang towels on that somehow fits magically in this space where no dowel has ever dreamed of fitting")

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Yea my initial reaction to the enneagram was an e8 self typing, but people I talked about this with in real life thought I fit e5 better because at the time (before I was active on this forum) they said I was more intellectual, isolated, and heady. I've always related to both types though and especially the integration/disintegration between e8 and e5.
    Yeah it was hard for me to distinguish between counterphobic 6 and type 8. I identify a lot with 8's and I think they can appear to almost be the same type even though you'd think they'd be very different.

Creepy-pokeball

What, lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast