Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Larry David

Can anyone figure out which type this guy is?

Last edited by silke; 08-06-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: updated links

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Larry David

ILE

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably ENTp.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the funny pages that are called wikipedia I noted that the tv show character of George Costanza is heavily based on Signor David.
    EDIT: Sorry yes, can easily be ENTp. (Hadn't really watched the show. Thought of wrong character first.)
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Larry David (show version, also Cheryl Hines)

Most of the show's content seems to be based on -Fe/+Te. In one episode he, stood by his decision not to tip instead of doing the math, seems like +Fi/-Ti along with +Te/-Fe.

I don't consider myself an expert or anything but the character really seems to be ILI, possibly EII? I'd like to see arguments for ILE, which is the other type he usually gets.

Also, Cheryl Hines seems like SEE, any disagreements?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know really. There have been a couple people commonly typed as ILI who I find to be rather strange and foreign personalities, those being Larry David and Woody Allen, so I wouldn't have guessed they're my type by first impression. (Although I've seen Allen typed ILI more consistently.)

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen from the show and of them as people, David and Hines are about as INTj and ESFj as anything.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Examples? I think temperament should be easy to spot, but there's something about INTx that blends them together, especially with not much experience. My old math teacher looks just like him and I've seen a few other characteristic traits of Larry David on other people, but what confuses me the most is that young LII != old LII.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say his character on the show seems to have an Ni nature about him that is suspicious of everyone. He's very paranoid and finds it hard to agree with anyone or give in when he feels threatened in any way. Honestly, I could see IEI. I have a hard time seeing him as an ILI Fe-PoLR serious type.

In general I see him as
    non-valuing: Fi
    valuing: Fe, Se, Ni

I go with IEI for Larry and SEE for his wife. I like the idea of semi-duality for them. It makes more sense to me then Duals.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I was sort of thinking that too, because of some sort of odd Fe humor he has...and I couldn't shy away from him being Ni, for whatever reason. That seems to work potentially well, if you don't account for the stupid Beta stereotype people have.

Edit: eh actually idk, as said I don't necessarily see myself relating to the guy, but other than that I don't see his style as necessarily that Fe really, aside from just the fact that he's a bit expressive and obnoxious, if that's the word, which could be weird for an INTp. I mean I've only watched a couple of his shows here and there, so I might not recall exactly, but it seems kind of like "ordinary" humor (not mine of course) with some Fe-esque aspects to it (like different expressions and odd feelings, if you really want to call something as low as that Fe), but just taken to a weird level. Which is not to say my opinion of his type would be reflected by him seeming Fe, unless you can explain how you think he's Fe?

I do think the wife seems ESFp, probably ESFp-Fi. Definitely good for an ESFj quasi-identical comparison.
    Last edited by 717495; 12-12-2010 at 06:05 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is weird--I was just about to make a thread about Larry David... I log on and here it is.

Today I watched a Woody Allen movie starring Larry David. (I forget the title but it was made last year.)

In any case, I'm interested to see more responses to this question... I've noticed that Alpha and Gamma humor get confused and conflated.

Larry David also helped to write Seinfeld. Seinfeld, many people around here, believed to be an Alpha comedy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    This is weird--I was just about to make a thread about Larry David... I log on and here it is.

Today I watched a Woody Allen movie starring Larry David. (I forget the title but it was made last year.)

In any case, I'm interested to see more responses to this question... I've noticed that Alpha and Gamma humor get confused and conflated.

Larry David also helped to write Seinfeld. Seinfeld, many people around here, believed to be an Alpha comedy.
    Alpha humor I think is stereotypically whimsical and distanced from grim reality(Family Guy in an extreme case), while Gamma humor is grounded in reality but sarcastic(Beavis and Butthead, although could also represent Beta).

Seinfeld is easily Alpha, but the atmosphere present in Seinfeld is not found in CYE, except for George's and Larry's irrationality being parallel.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen evidence for the idea that certain TV shows and the likes really appeal to certain types, or quadras to be specific, since I think anyone of any type have different types of humor. Just, fyi, the humor I was talking about was a reference to personality or the role in his acting, which could appeal to lots of types from my experience (oh yes, the many marvels of the human mind), not really the style of comedy. Where as I can see how some things are implemented into the comedy because of personality type, which I'm unsure about what it is right now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I've never seen evidence for the idea that certain TV shows and the likes really appeal to certain types, or quadras to be specific, since I think anyone of any type have different types of humor. Just, fyi, the humor I was talking about was a reference to personality or the role in his acting, which could appeal to lots of types, not really the style of comedy. Where as I can see how some things are implemented into the comedy because of personality type, which I'm unsure about what it is right now.
    Yes, I know but if the writer is a certain type, it is most likely that a show's style will reflect that.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Examples? I think temperament should be easy to spot, but there's something about INTx that blends them together, especially with not much experience. My old math teacher looks just like him and I've seen a few other characteristic traits of Larry David on other people, but what confuses me the most is that young LII != old LII.
    I don't get why people think INTjs and INTps are so easy to mix up. If you understand how temperament manifests itself in people as well as how the IEs work then it shouldn't be as difficult as any other similar combination, like ESTx.

All I know is that Larry David is Ij as fuck, I don't see any trace of Se/Ni valuing in the show, and Ti>Fi. Cheryl Hines as ESFj should be obvious, I don't see why it isn't: Very Ej, very Fe, very not Beta.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I don't get why people think INTjs and INTps are so easy to mix up. If you understand how temperament manifests itself in people as well as how the IEs work then it shouldn't be as difficult as any other similar combination, like ESTx.

All I know is that Larry David is Ij as fuck, I don't see any trace of Se/Ni valuing in the show, and Ti>Fi. Cheryl Hines as ESFj should be obvious, I don't see why it isn't: Very Ej, very Fe, very not Beta.
    It's because he's old lol. I don't have much experience or knowledge of old INTps so the differences start to blend after youth.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Yes, I know but if the writer is a certain type, it is most likely that a show's style will reflect that.
    The general style of comedy in the show reflects the writer, but not so much his type. This has never been so much a theory about interests or sense of humor, or just anything that can be lightly correlated, as I've seen these aspects widely shared throughout the socion, which is why I'm just trying to type the person and actor himself.

Though, as I expected, before anyone rushes to conclusions of his type, it would be nice to explain in English why someone is Fe, IJ temperament, etc, just in case you want your opinion to have some validity.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    The general style of comedy in the show reflects the writer, but not so much his type. This has never been so much a theory about interests or sense of humor, or just anything that can be lightly correlated, as I've seen these aspects widely shared throughout the socion, which is why I'm just trying to type the person and actor himself.
    Someone's sociotype, I think, can 'show through' in his writing, and in his sense of humor.

Sense of humor is an expression of certain functions... If there's a trend in the functions used in someone's humor, (for example, a lot of Ni,) then there's a good chance that the person values Ni.

Sense of humor--in a very general sense--I think, is one of the qualities that unifies a quadra... However, I think it's more evident in what one doesn't find funny. For example, an alpha may consider a beta's sense of humor too 'mean-spirited,' b/c of Se.

On topic: What functions do people see in Larry David's sense of humor? I've never seen his show -- just that movie by woody allen. (And seinfeld.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...I'm starting to settle on . One of his defining traits as a writer is to have multiple stories occurring simultaneously and ending with a denouement. I think this really exemplifies valued .

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larry David (character): LII
    Cheryl Hines (character): ESE

George Costanza's character in Seinfeld was actually based on Larry David. A central part of Curb Your Enthusiasm is Larry David's awkward clumsiness as he stumbles around social conventions, what he perceives as unofficial rules of society that he does not understand that he will either weakly uphold or disregard as he sees fit, which typically backfires. But whatever the case, Larry David's character is basically a good-hearted guy who tries to fit in as best he can and making as little noise or disruption as possible. Larry David has said that he would never act that way in real life, but it's a version of a Larry David as if he lacked social awareness or did not have restraint in regards to social conventions. This all comes across as weak Fi in a role position.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Larry David

Conflictor with Jay Leno?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/250671/the...y-david-part-1

EDIT: click on the word "hulu" and you will be taken to the video... not sure why it looks so weird in the post.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I am able to watch videos from Hulu. Anyway, I have always thought that Larry David seemed Alpha NT to me. Not sure about Jay Leno. Don't really like him.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    I don't think I am able to watch videos from Hulu. Anyway, I have always thought that Larry David seemed Alpha NT to me. Not sure about Jay Leno. Don't really like him.
    yeah i'd previously thought alpha NT for Larry David too actually, but in that interview something just seemed so incredibly awkward between them. Maybe it was just an act. He also seemed to express some averseness to Fe, but again, maybe just joking...

I've been under the impression that Jay Leno was ESE. I sort of like him actually. Not always though.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think they're Duals I usually think Jay Leno's really clumsy in interviews, but him and Larry David found a great rhythm together I thought, and any aversion to F seemed to mainly be aversion to , Larry and Jay were firing all over the place and not caring about hardly at all, much like what happened in the show Seinfeld (I still don't know why anyone would want to see a show where all the characters are assholes and nothing good happens for anyone in the end, and to such an extreme extent on both counts)...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    I think they're Duals I usually think Jay Leno's really clumsy in interviews, but him and Larry David found a great rhythm together I thought, and any aversion to F seemed to mainly be aversion to , Larry and Jay were firing all over the place and not caring about hardly at all, much like what happened in the show Seinfeld (I still don't know why anyone would want to see a show where all the characters are assholes and nothing good happens for anyone in the end, and to such an extreme extent on both counts)...
    Oh maybe that's what rubbed me the wrong way then... the not caring about Fi. I thought they were insulting each other, but i guess neither of them took it seriously...

Oh yeah and the show Seinfeld is totally pointless , sometimes completely absurd. But I enjoyed watching it from time to time if nothing better was on. I liked Jerry himself... and Kramer sometimes.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I still don't know why anyone would want to see a show where all the characters are assholes and nothing good happens for anyone in the end, and to such an extreme extent on both counts)...
    Don't watch It's Always Sunny or Breaking Bad then!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    (I still don't know why anyone would want to see a show where all the characters are assholes and nothing good happens for anyone in the end, and to such an extreme extent on both counts)...
    Don't watch It's Always Sunny or Breaking Bad then!

oh thanks for the heads up!!

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The subtext was "Actually, just go watch them both anyway."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuckin love always sunny and curbed enthusiasm (especially Larry)
    Leno's pretty annoying tho
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did a forum search on him and it looks like some people are convinced his comedy comes from his Fi-PoLR (someone called Expat), while others mostly agree on ILE.

is it true? he's ILE?

what's Jay Leno, some Fe-leading? or also ILE?

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch Curb your Enthusiasm alot, I think he's an INTj.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'd say Larry David is ILE and Jay Leno is ESE, hence they're activity partners.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything Larry Davis does is big time Alpha jewry. What's his face, unliked J Leno is his dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I watch Curb your Enthusiasm alot, I think he's an INTj.
    My ENTp brother kinda got me watching that show a bit, it's funny. Everything is here and there + his idiosyncracies.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Everything Larry Davis does is big time Alpha jewry. What's his face, unliked J Leno is his dual.
    I think it's a bad idea to equate a religion/ethnicity with a particular quadra or type. There are people of all types in all religions and cultures.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to equate a religion/ethnicity with a particular quadra or type. There are people of all types in all religions and cultures.
    He's just parroting Ashton.

It's kind of gross how pathetic it is. I even spelled it all out for him the other day and he's still in drone mode.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS, Larry David is not funny. I don't know why ANYONE watches that fucking show. The guy is just a rich awkward douchebag who wanted to be on TV.

Under cerulean skies...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just a figure of speech, ie. typical Alpha jewry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    It's kind of gross how pathetic it is.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just a figure of the towering presence of Ashton's imaginary phallus penetrating my brain.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can people be so susceptible to such obviously feigned overconfidence, such petty tactics, such obvious bullshit? "I dunno, I just see it..." BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I just don't get it at all. Do you have no ego? No pride? How the fuck does such an awkward douche have this effect on people, even some reasonably intelligent ones? Haven't you ever noticed that he NEVER truly explains himself, just throws together random collections of shit and lets YOU draw connections so that YOU think you're talking about the same shit, and once you're in the club people will agree with you so it doesn't matter if you really know what you're talking about and it will be GREAT because you will feel like you're on a team!

Pathetic cunts. Grow up and get some real world friends, and stop being fodder for the ego of a pathetic manchild who lives in his parents' house at 28.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

He's just parroting Ashton.

It's kind of gross how pathetic it is. I even spelled it all out for him the other day and he's still in drone mode.
    Gilly the super sleuth is hot on the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast