Thread: Pressure

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pressure

Knowing the exact amount of force or pressure required to get something done - is this more an Se or Si thing?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well like knowing the amount of energy required to slam a door. Some people seem to over-slam doors. And others seem to under-slam them. So they have to go back sheepishly and try again.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every door is different and requires a different amount of energy to be properly slammed.

I learn those things through experience. (Like most normal people.)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Every door is different and requires a different amount of energy to be properly slammed.

Hey Parkster.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola my friend.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello forum.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It occurred to me though that you could tell Things about people from the way they interact with objects. Like I was with this guy and I kicked a door open with my foot and nudged it the rest of the way with my elbow, and he commented that he liked the way I opened the door (erm lol). But he didn't seem to make the connection that I had obviously been there before.. so it occurred to me that if a person was aware enough about those kinds of things, they could gather information about people that way.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Knowing the exact amount of force or pressure required to get something done - is this more an Se or Si thing?
    According to socionics.com, it would be Se. In the INTj uncovered he explains part of Se PoLR as overestimating the amount of force needed for something. I would guess that if you see someone slam a door accidentally or the like, they should be an intuitive type.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    According to socionics.com, it would be Se. In the INTj uncovered he explains part of Se PoLR as overestimating the amount of force needed for something. I would guess that if you see someone slam a door accidentally or the like, they should be an intuitive type.
    I see nothing to disagree with here. Though LIIs generally have two approaches to pressure: one that doesn't use enough, and another that uses too much.

Generally they don't use enough, and have to be desperate to really pour it on.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it's more of an Se thing.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's only about experience. You look at the door and you see that it is thick or thin, heavy or light, if it is likely to move easily or not etc. You can estimate, or rather sense the momentum needed.

I enjoy closing doors by applying just enough pressure so that I can hear the "click" when it locks. No more no less.

Another enjoyable way of closing doors is when you slam a door but because of the air pressure getting high just before the door is about to hit the frame it suddenly stops and there is no slam. It just closes normally.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I don't think it's only about experience. You look at the door and you see that it is thick or thin, heavy or light, if it is likely to move easily or not etc. You can estimate, or rather sense the momentum needed.
    Sure. I play around with estimations and precision all the time.
    This is Si

I have Si activation, so I think the same way; Se is observation of the object in it's static moment; Se types do, by no fault of their own touch something by more strength then Si types.

Si types can intentionally, when they want to, touch things with force. Si types make the best make-up artists and surgeons IMO because of this controlled touch; sort of a mixture of how they feel when they touch something and their perception of how the object reacts to their touch, makes them more sensitive.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 07-29-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post

I enjoy closing doors by applying just enough pressure so that I can hear the "click" when it locks. No more no less.

Another enjoyable way of closing doors is when you slam a door but because of the air pressure getting high just before the door is about to hit the frame it suddenly stops and there is no slam. It just closes normally.
    Sure. I play with estimations and precision all the time.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Se and Si would both play a role. Se to estimate the door's size and weight, etc., and Si to estimate how the door will interact with its environment (and how one's hand will interact with the door). So any Sensor type will be good at slamming doors, although perhaps those with Producing Sensing (i.e., those with Sensing in both Creative and Demonstrative functions) would be best at it?

[Edit: Of course, I think it would be most likely that an Se type would slam a door, as a demonstration of force.]
    Quaero Veritas.