Thread: Ni and waking dreams/trans

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ni and waking dreams/trans

Edit: Whoops, I meant trance.

Recently I've been seeing pictures and scenes, with the same theme, suddenly flooding my mind, almost like a trance state, where I have a hard time noticing time or anything outside related. I usually see myself from the outside, but I also see things from a first person perspective, being myself, and the observer at the same time.This lasts for a few minutes (or seconds?), then I come back. From the outside it probably looks like I'm not moving, just looking in front of me. Sometimes it appeared as I was falling asleep too (which was probably induced by hypnagogia), and now that I actively tried to unfold its meaning, I can actually "come back" and it won't take me away as an episode of trance.

I'm safe, I've been in therapy for a while now, I've been evaluated, I probably don't have an organic issue, these are not hallucinations, or DID or schiczophrenia. My doctor called it a depersonalization/dissociative trance, and my therapist referred to it as a waking dream. Both of them (and me too) see it more like a message from my unconscious, because I think if I can't face something, it first appears to me as a dream, and if I can't acknowledge a dream, this might happen. Almost like my unconscious just takes over, and shows me symbolic scenes and pictures, like a movie.

What I was wondering about, even if this might be a big stretch, could there be a connection to Ni? Have any of you Ni dominants or Ni creative guys experienced anything similar? Or anyone else?
    Last edited by 0i0; 10-29-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Recently I've been seeing pictures and scenes, with the same theme, suddenly flooding my mind, almost like a trans state, where I have a hard time noticing time or anything outside related. I usually see myself from the outside, but I also see things from a first person perspective, being myself, and the observer at the same time.This lasts for a few minutes (or seconds?), then I come back. From the outside I probably look like I'm not moving, just looking in front of me. Sometimes it appeared as I was falling asleep too (which was probably induced by hypnagogia), and now that I actively tried to unfold its meaning, I can actually "come back" and it won't take me away as an episode of trans.

I'm safe, I'm in therapy for a while now, I've been evaluated, I probably don't have an organic issue, these are not hallucinations, or DID or schiczophrenia. My doctor called it a depersonalization/dissociative trans, and my therapist referred to it as a waking dream. Both of them (and me too) see it more like a message from my unconscious, because I think if I can't face something, it first appears to me as a dream, and if I can't acknowledge a dream, this might happen. Almost like my unconscious just takes over, and shows me symbolic scenes and pictures, like a movie.

What I was wondering about, even if this might be a big stretch, could there be a connection to Ni? Have any of you Ni dominants or Ni creative guys experienced anything similar? Or anyone else?
    I can enter a trance state easily and wonder if you have ever tried to do so on purpose. Gaining control over entering trance might help you gain even more control over exiting. It might also give you resources for making more sense out of the trance material.

It’s cheesy but you can use new-shamanic techniques for this.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    I can enter a trance state easily and wonder if you have ever tried to do so on purpose. Gaining control over entering trance might help you gain even more control over exiting. It might also give you resources for making more sense out of the trance material.

It’s cheesy but you can use new-shamanic techniques for this.
    This sounds very interesting. I've never tried it so consciously, I only realized a few things and practices that would trigger my mind to enter into similar modes, where I see pictures or gain some form of insight (or maybe an idea).

Do you have any sources I could read, that proved to be good material on the subject in your opinion?

Also, I'd be very interested in some of your experiences you are comfortable with sharing. I know though, that these things are very intimate.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds very interesting. I've never tried it so consciously, I only realized a few things and practices that would trigger my mind to enter into similar modes, where I see pictures or gain some form of insight (or maybe an idea).

Do you have any sources I could read, that proved to be good material on the subject in your opinion?

Also, I'd be very interested in some of your experiences you are comfortable with sharing. I know though, that these things are very intimate.
    I don’t really want to share about my experiences. But even though it’s new agey, or at least attracts new agey people, you can start by looking into core shamanism, meaning lifted out of cultural contexts:

https://shamanism.org/workshops/inde...SAAEgIuUPD_BwE

If you can establish for yourself how you prefer to go into trance, and the basic map of where you go when you’re in it, and what kinds of spirit guides or whatever you have available to you, it might give you more control over the thing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t really want to share about my experiences. But even though it’s new agey, or at least attracts new agey people, you can start by looking into core shamanism, meaning lifted out of cultural contexts:

https://shamanism.org/workshops/inde...SAAEgIuUPD_BwE

If you can establish for yourself how you prefer to go into trance, and the basic map of where you go when you’re in it, and what kinds of spirit guides or whatever you have available to you, it might give you more control over the thing.
    Thank you, I really appreciate your thoughts on the topic.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Moderator View Post
    What is this about? It’s from an indigo children channel or something ugh.

Never mind, drugs.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this about? It’s from an indigo children channel or something ugh.

Never mind, drugs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Shamanistic tool used in the amazon.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol seriously? Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds like a psychotic break down? You know there are borders between socionics and other things in human's psyche. Not everything you experience is somehow related to cognitive functions (although some people think like this).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Lol seriously? Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds like a psychotic break down? You know there are borders between socionics and other things in human's psyche. Not everything you experience is somehow related to cognitive functions (although some people think like this).
    The reason I wrote that I've been going to therapy for a while now and been checked by another doctor too is to make sure that no one starts to worry about that I'm just having a breakdown or any undiagnosed thing going on. Of course even professionals can be wrong, and I keep going to my appointments for other things too, and I try to make sure I'm in good hands.

A psychotic breakdown means accute psychosis, which is different - there is a difference between hallucination (things you see are mixed with reality), and seeing pictures in your mind, like imagination, as far as I know.

Of course if anyone experiences something similar, I would ask them to make sure they are checked by a doctor.

And yes, I didn't assume everything is related to socionics, that's one reason why I've written this might be a long stretch. Also, this topic doesn't even have to be Socionics related - I was thinking about if there might be a connection in what we see as functions, and these states of mind. I thought this was a place to discuss ideas, while making sure people are safe, and I'm not looking for remedies and explanations here to heal myself - that's something I handle as you could read above.

The style you reacted in and the instant judgement (without considering what I wrote down) is usually something that makes me hesitate to bring up weirder topics, and this makes me sad. Even though this is my fault too, as I probably should grow a thicker skin.
    Last edited by 0i0; 10-29-2018 at 08:23 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I don’t think it sounds like psychosis, no. It may not be related to cog functions, but I still had a comment to offer, so I did.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm safe, I've been in therapy for a while now, I've been evaluated, I probably don't have an organic issue, these are not hallucinations, or DID or schiczophrenia. My doctor called it a depersonalization/dissociative trance, and my therapist referred to it as a waking dream.
    What you describe does match up to this description of a dissociative disorder, the loss of sense of time and the seeing of yourself as both first person and an observer. I find it interesting that they also linked these dissociative states to the multiple personality disorder. In socionics sense I don't think this is linked to Ni though there maybe some correlation with introversion. Afaik some people who have described similar kind of symptoms are Ne/Si valuing.

"Depersonalization-derealization disorder: This involves an ongoing or episodic sense of detachment or being outside yourself — observing your actions, feelings, thoughts and self from a distance as though watching a movie (depersonalization). Other people and things around you may feel detached and foggy or dreamlike, time may be slowed down or sped up, and the world may seem unreal (derealization). You may experience depersonalization, derealization or both. Symptoms, which can be profoundly distressing, may last only a few moments or come and go over many years."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355215

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like what you describe @OP sounds like it would cause a problem in living your day to day life. I'd personally leave socionics out. / 0.2 cents

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a few similar episodes in my younger twenties, but haven't experienced anything like that for years. I was meditating frequently, under significant stress, and life was pretty disorienting.

I don't have schizophrenia or a dissociative disorder, nor did I.

Like you, I was basically in stasis as these moments happened. I also remember coming out of the trances and having some trouble with speech because what was going through my mind was pretty ineffable.

If some of your trance states occurred due to hypnagogia, the general causes aren't as alarming as they would be otherwise.

And yeah, I do think (powerful) intuition is involved.

Are you under a lot of stress right now?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    What you describe does match up to this description of a dissociative disorder, the loss of sense of time and the seeing of yourself as both first person and an observer. I find it interesting that they also linked these dissociative states to the multiple personality disorder. In socionics sense I don't think this is linked to Ni though there maybe some correlation with introversion. Afaik some people who have described similar kind of symptoms are Ne/Si valuing.

"Depersonalization-derealization disorder: This involves an ongoing or episodic sense of detachment or being outside yourself — observing your actions, feelings, thoughts and self from a distance as though watching a movie (depersonalization). Other people and things around you may feel detached and foggy or dreamlike, time may be slowed down or sped up, and the world may seem unreal (derealization). You may experience depersonalization, derealization or both. Symptoms, which can be profoundly distressing, may last only a few moments or come and go over many years."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355215
    Yep, that's why my doctor described it as this kind of trance, and I know about this issue too, it can happen because of anxiety too. I only found it interesting, because of the pictures involved, and the symbols from the unconscious - this made it different than usual derealization and depersonalization, that's why I focused on this, and the mental images to intuition.

@A Moderator Thank you for your posts and telling me about your experience!