Thread: The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes

@Reficulris

So here's the first book review

Oh and feedback on my review is great too, since I committed to doing a lot of these things if there's anything you want to see done differently when I get to your book or in future reviews, use your outside voice please.

The remainder of this thread can be for discussing socionics types of characters, the book itself, whatever. I was going to link the thread where I said I was going to review a bunch of books y'all suggested but apparently the forum's search function has caught a terrible case of the derp and thinks I've only ever posted a thread about IEIs so here's a link to that instead

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ssroom-setting

Also, if anyone knows which thread I'm talking about, I would appreciate it being drug up for me, I forget the title of it :S
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"and than there is the point where you realise; you've been lying to yourself and you're a piece of shit, you're human piece of shit"
    LMAO I SO imagine Barnes handing this to his loved one and getting the reaction above and him chucling like a maniak! That is, if his loved one was still alife...

About the review; I liked it, short, to the point no spoilers. The sound was a bit "metalic" on my sound system, maybe tone down the high notes of your mic to fix that, not sure, not a sound buff.

I liked the self-refering or circular nature of the book. There is a way in which the delusion of the main character, his self delusion becomes your own.

Your assessment is spot on; it's not a "happy" book nor one that will make you feel better about yourself. If anything, it's a critique of the smugness that we (intellectual metacritic thinkers) feel about our thinking about our own lifes...if that makes sense...

When I first read it I had one of "those letters"(those who read it will know what I mean) ready and set to send to my ex-wife. After reading the book I decided that sending it might not be a good idea so I didn't. In that sense, With all the self-rightious fury of that time, the book made me feel reeeeaaaaaally uncomfortable and worked as a kind of reality check, if that is possible.

People have commented to me that the philosophical parts are hard to digest, I liked it tremendously because I WAS one of those kids that would quote philosophy back in high-school. It's an aquired taste I think, possibly more attractive to people who can stomach that kind of writing in general rather than those who prefer highly detailed descriptions of scenery and such...

Keep up the good work! I like the review thing!

One thing: you could give a grade and or similar readings at the end of the review, I always like that myself!

Another reccomendation; did you ever read Fightclub by chuck palaniuk? Not the movie but the book? His books in general are quite good. (not nice, not happy, but really good). I read the book after the movie so the surprise was not there, but his writing style is gut-wrenching honest and "banal" in a sense. That would be my reommended readings if you like this book. (

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback man! I'll write it down and review it before the next one, likely do a couple of takes too with this in mind. I'll add Fightclub to the list but currently I'm working on the suggestion of @lungs to read Siddhartha, so that'll be the next review.

As for it being elegiac. You could say that after reading this book the corroboration of my nastiness makes it philosophically self-evident that I should off myself.

It's fun to imagine Julian Barnes laughing about all this
    Easy Day