Thread: Why Am I Extraverted?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why Am I Extraverted?

Why on earth does everyone think I'm an extrovert and, in particular, an EP under Socionics?

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A stitch in time saves nine what?

After eating, do amphibians have to wait one hour before getting out of the water?

After they make Styrofoam, what do they ship it in?

Are female moths called myths?

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?

Are there a lot of virgins in the Virgin Islands?

Are there any unguided missiles?

Are you breaking the law if you drive past those road signs that say "Do Not Pass"?

Are you telling the truth if you lie in bed?

Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Can a stupid person be a smart-ass?

Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Can you buy an entire chess set in a pawnshop?

Can you get cavities in your dentures if you use too much artificial sweetener?

Could crop-circles be the work of a cereal killer?

Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?

Day light savings time - why are they saving it and where do they keep it?

Did Noah keep his bees in archives?

Do blind dogs have seeing-eye humans?

Do blind Eskimos have seeing-eye sled dogs?

Do boxer shorts box?

Do cemetery workers prefer the graveyard shift?

Do clowns wear really big socks?

Anyway, seriously, seeing the inlux of E6's on this board something is amiss in the Socion Land. I mean, first ILIs, LIEs and now E6s. What makes you think you're not this extraverted type nor Ep, for it sounds as if you already decided, at least tentatively...
    Last edited by Absurd; 02-15-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

thats a good question because you seem endearingly shy on cam but you still seem obviously Ep to me and i don't know how to articulate why.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I've discussed things with you, your first action is always to throw out positive interests which are disparate and unrelated. A very Pe thing to do and not in the way I would expect with Se, of which I use woofl (unff unff) as a benchmark.

I blame socionics.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lately you have been appearing more extroverted, in the pure sense. Introversion, energy from themselves, extroverts - energy from others.

You have been showing a more genuine interest in others, thus you appear extroverted/gregarious, influenced by their response not just to whatever is happening in your own brain/your own personal feelings.

These things happen in scales. I mean I am very introverted, but I can be extroverted if somebody coaxes me into it and gets me kinda genuinely interested in something that doesn't have to do with me. It's just the introvert, naturally feels things more deeply, their own reality 'feels more real' and so it's draining to be in this stage w/o some assistance. So who knows, maybe people around you are just influencing you to be more extroverted in ways that you like. That's what the classical enfp American therapist does with the emo shy awkward boy that comes to their appointments for counseling sessions. That's all they really do, with compassion and intelligence- they just coax a really withdrawn person to get outside of themselves more, so they won't feel things so heavy that they hurt themselves/or others. You lighten up. You act like the extroverted esfj housewife who buys trinkets instead of having this moral outrage over people who buy trinkets. You learn to laugh at the things you hated instead of be grumpy about it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, BnD is correct, listen to him. He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IEEs are generally speaking the shyest of the extraverts. Anyone who meets me for the first time with knowledge of MBTI/Socionics thinks I'm an introvert at first until they get to know me better and realize that I'm actually an extravert. Also the fact that you're a 6 and sp first may give off the impression of false introversion.
    Last edited by Raver; 03-11-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wonder what people say when they don't have any knowledge of MBTI/Socionics about you, Raver.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Wonder what people say when they don't have any knowledge of MBTI/Socionics about you, Raver.
    I wonder too as people don't usually tell me what they think about me. Though, I've been called "logical" before and I found that amusing being an ethical type.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I wonder too as people don't usually tell me what they think about me. Though, I've been called "logical" before and I found that amusing being an ethical type.
    I better don't say what I have been called, then. But you story is interesting and quite enlightening.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Whenever I've discussed things with you, your first action is always to throw out positive interests which are disparate and unrelated. A very Pe thing to do and not in the way I would expect with Se, of which I use woofl (unff unff) as a benchmark.

I blame socionics.
    I think I get what you are saying. My interests have actually been very consistent over the years. For example, I used to like playing video games, but didn't play very many. I would get one or two games and stick with those for at least a year and maybe return to it later. These past few months, I've had an obsession with nutrition and diet. I can always find a way to incorporate my personal focuses ( and past ones) into any conversation...

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Lately you have been appearing more extroverted, in the pure sense. Introversion, energy from themselves, extroverts - energy from others.

You have been showing a more genuine interest in others, thus you appear extroverted/gregarious, influenced by their response not just to whatever is happening in your own brain/your own personal feelings.
    Me showing a genuine interest in others depends on my mood. If there's an unresolved inner conflict, I don't show an interest in other people. Another reason I interrogate people when I feel like it is because I would enjoy the same thing myself if I was in the mood to be interrogated.

You learn to laugh at the things you hated instead of be grumpy about it.
    Sometimes this is a difficult process for me.

IEEs are generally speaking the shyest of the extraverts. Anyone who meets me for the first with knowledge of MBTI/Socionics thinks I'm an introvert at first until they get to know me better and realize that I'm actually an extravert. Also the fact that you're a 6 and sp first may give off the impression of false introversion.
    Ahh see I'm the other way around. People who first meet me think I am very outgoing and extroverted. Only when I stick around long enough do I become more withdrawn and socially disinterested until something else stimulates me.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    I think I get what you are saying. My interests have actually been very consistent over the years. For example, I used to like playing video games, but didn't play very many. I would get one or two games and stick with those for at least a year and maybe return to it later. These past few months, I've had an obsession with nutrition and diet. I can always find a way to incorporate my personal focuses ( and past ones) into any conversation...

Me showing a genuine interest in others depends on my mood. If there's an unresolved inner conflict, I don't show an interest in other people. Another reason I interrogate people when I feel like it is because I would enjoy the same thing myself if I was in the mood to be interrogated.

Sometimes this is a difficult process for me.

Ahh see I'm the other way around. People who first meet me think I am very outgoing and extroverted. Only when I stick around long enough do I become more withdrawn and socially disinterested until something else stimulates me.
    Interesting, I'm not sure what this actually proves to be honest. I can be this way as well at times and it really varies from each person I am interacting with and is dependent on a variety of circumstances.
    Last edited by Raver; 03-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bcaus you are Ep temperamend.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Bcaus you are Ep temperamend.
    That means nothing, unless you define exactly what criteria classifies me as such.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics extroversion dictates function placement, colloquial extroversion dictates social placement. They are not the same.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Socionics extroversion dictates function placement, colloquial extroversion dictates social placement. They are not the same.
    Do you think Extroverts gain energy with action while Introverts lose energy? I don't know if this would fit with the function placement always. In my case I gain energy but seem to be Introverted. I know the concept started with MBTI but it's on Wikisocion: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...d_introversion

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Do you think Extroverts gain energy with action while Introverts lose energy? I don't know if this would fit with the function placement always. In my case I gain energy but seem to be Introverted. I know the concept started with MBTI but it's on Wikisocion: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...d_introversion
    Well said. That's exactly the problem. Function placement and things like energy flow are often made to create a dichotomy and suddenly a socionics practitioner is forced to make this confusing decision about which is more important to dissecting the character of ourselves or even those around us. I think it is certainly useful to remember the past, and what has flowed from it, but in this case I do think that things like colloquial (social) extroversion or introversion are simply stepping stones in socionics. Essentially, I think model A is far more important than what helped imagine its creation.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikisocion
    Socionics' understanding of extraversion and introversion is closer to Jung's than to that of modern psychology. An individual is extraverted if his perception is primarily directed at objects in the outside world, whereas introverts' perception is primarily directed at the way these objects resonate with each other and within the observer's psyche. Extraversion and introversion are not absolute qualities, since half of one's psychic function are extraverted and half introverted. One's perception skips around between extraverted and introverted functions. However, the leading function is most dominant and defines the individual's extraversion or introversion.

While there is probably some correlation between outgoingness and socionics extraversion, this connection is not actually implied in the theory. People of the same type can differ on psychological scales of extraversion, and some socionic introtims are more "extraverted" (i.e. gregarious, sociable) than some extratims. Also, Gamma and Delta types may on average be less extraverted than Alpha and Beta types due to subdued Symbol e.gif.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Or if you prefer.
    This is good, clarifying.
    How would Ti as ignoring function differ from Ti as demonstrative function?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think Extroverts gain energy with action while Introverts lose energy?
    Generally speaking, yes, this is one of the defining factors. Even in the Big 5 literature, there's a facet called "activity level".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Generally speaking, yes, this is one of the defining factors. Even in the Big 5 literature, there's a facet called "activity level".
    Well if this is true then I'm definitely Extrovert. Should be either an ESTJ or ESFJ if ESFJ kind of depressed one.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good, clarifying.
    How would Ti as ignoring function differ from Ti as demonstrative function?
    In my experience, Ti as Demonstrative(4D) is inherently appreciated, but almost openly mocked in a self-deprecative sort of way. My Brother in law would often joke about how everything is subjective, and so clearly nothing actually makes sense in "reality". But he and i would still conversate for ridiculous amounts of time in analytic regards to questions like "At what point could Naruto beat Freiza?" and other such nonsense.

Ti as Ignoring seems to be a little "Cockier". Someone else gives Ti, and the person understands it, but rewires it into Te terms. Having a viewpoint that Te is the better way of using that information. I know i do this with Ne. I hear it, and i rewrite what is said in my head using different terms.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    In my experience, Ti as Demonstrative(4D) is inherently appreciated, but almost openly mocked in a self-deprecative sort of way. My Brother in law would often joke about how everything is subjective, and so clearly nothing actually makes sense in "reality". But he and i would still conversate for ridiculous amounts of time in analytic regards to questions like "At what point could Naruto beat Freiza?" and other such nonsense.

Ti as Ignoring seems to be a little "Cockier". Someone else gives Ti, and the person understands it, but rewires it into Te terms. Having a viewpoint that Te is the better way of using that information. I know i do this with Ne. I hear it, and i rewrite what is said in my head using different terms.
    Thanks. Could you elaborate further on what exactly are Ti and Te? I find the descriptions on Wikisocion poor and over-theoretical.
    I've heard: Te= facts . Ti= thoughts and patterns of thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Could you elaborate further on what exactly are Ti and Te? I find the descriptions on Wikisocion poor and over-theoretical.
    I've heard: Te= facts . Ti= thoughts and patterns of thoughts.
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...288-The-T-Wars
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ics-Set-1-of-4

Creepy-male

IEEs are generally speaking the shyest of the extraverts. Anyone who meets me for the first with knowledge of MBTI/Socionics thinks I'm an introvert at first until they get to know me better and realize that I'm actually an extravert. Also the fact that you're a 6 and sp first may give off the impression of false introversion.
    Yes it is similar to light and a system of prisms. One angle will reflect the light inwards and trap it into the prism, while another angle results in its reflection. This is similar to the reflection, symmetry, and so forth of intro-version and extro-version with respect to society. Each prism being a person and their medium (which determines their index of refraction), and each light (the exchange of photons) the nature of the interaction between them. This I guess is the idea of the incandescent being which travels via light.

Beam me up scotty VII - the phantom menace exposed, HiDef HD3600x2400 Golden Aspect Ratio unloaded, for a limited time only, 39.99 Tax + shipping and addressing. staring sasha gray and _______ (morgan freeman, the pope, bro-magnum, the punisher, hercules, the twelve dwarfs, admiral ackbar's wild side, or darth vader

It's out there
    - Sir Isaac

Very Nice..... how much for this!
    - Borat

Please don't kill me hkkmr

Last edited by male; 03-09-2013 at 02:19 AM.

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always feel drained after interaction. shrugs (@Air and @Raver)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    I do as well, but it depends with who I am interacting with and how I happen to feel at that moment. Like poli mentioned it's likely a result of being an EP temperament among other factors.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only explanation that made sense to me was that extraverts enter interaction with higher spirits and leave more exhausted (or sth along those lines). the rest makes no sense to me.

ps: err i meant to post this in @Air's thread on same/similar topic

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like our friend said, to me it depends on whom I'm interacting with. But I dislike too much interaction as in college or job, I find it enprisons me. I like to have a lot of time alone everyday.
    I seem to be Introverted if Gulenko and Aushra are are right abt Introverts being more observing of the interaction between objects than objects alone. For example, in a room I tend to look at the overall way things are arranged than look at each object as a single discrete object. I like things fitting with each other because it gives me more comfort even if they are simpler things than a bunch of objects randomly put in a room.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Am I Extraverted?
    Because Carl Jung and Ausra Augusta said so.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only explanation that made sense to me was that extraverts enter interaction with higher spirits and leave more exhausted (or sth along those lines). the rest makes no sense to me.

ps: err i meant to post this in @Air's thread on same/similar topic
    Please post if you wish something on that thread, it's Introversion vs Extroversion in General Discussion. Comments are welcome.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post
    If people are able to pick me up at time and inspire motivation within me, even without saying anything, then yes, I'm extroverted.