Thread: Is this a type, or simply bad personality traits?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this a type, or simply bad personality traits?

Basically, I know two people who are like this:

1. Absolutely adore peoples misfortune. They love seeing people do bad in life. It produces a grin which they cannot hide.
    2. Would be happy when people are below them
    3. Have difficulty communicating in social situations with new people
    4. Use metaphors to describe things, particularly of a sexual nature
    5. Tricks and deciets is what they love
    6. Quite clever at getting information out of you
    7. Spend their day researching things, have awareness of a good few sources of information

Shit, does this sound ENTp?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds kinda too Gamma for ENTp to me. I guess?
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no personality traits that are totally unrelated to type. Every trait is related to the types one way or the other. But in this particular case we have too little information. We can't say much at this stage. ENTps are not especially like that, anyway.

If you are interested in understanding these people better, maybe you should try to determine their types first. But the way to do that is not to focus on those behavioural traits. The way to go is to focus on the most relevant behavioural traits, and that means focusing on the four dichotomies for a start.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. Absolutely adore peoples misfortune. They love seeing people do bad in life. It produces a grin which they cannot hide.

I admit I do this, but to me it's only human nature. Also, I don't feel sorry for them because it's usually the people that would do the same thing to me given half the chance.

Sure, who doesn't like to laugh/point/harrass/tease/poke bottom boys. I wish it would go away but it won't. People are pricks. I don't do this, but how can you make it go away? Our entire social foundation is based on the belief that there are tops and bottoms, winners and losers. And then we wonder why people do stuff like shoot people in schools etc.

Of course I do. This is just normal though. Why in the world do I have to talk to you when I don't even know you and we have such different interests that we wouldn't get along? Why are you making me talk more when I don't want to have anything to do with you? If I did, I'd approach you first. Believe me, I can be quite the social butterfly if you're worthy.

Hmm. Well not me. I like to show sex as real as possible actually because it's important to me and I value it. I take it seriously despite joking about it.

I don't do this and I think people who do are just kind of insecure and think they need to tell too many jokes to fit in. Sense of humor is a bit overrated, but it's still so important. I can't imagine being around anybody that can't make us laugh and that is usually what the tricker is trying to do.

I don't do this, because I don't care. Your issues are your issues. It's really none of my business unless you make it my business.

7. Spend their day researching things, have awareness of a good few sources of information

This is a 'bad quality?' So I suppose we all have to do a million things then. *rolls eyes*

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EllaC View Post

INTp possibly, except the "tricks and deceits." What form do these tricks take? Does he like to say "I told you so" or just "You idiot, you messed up"?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post

I admit I do this, but to me it's only human nature. Also, I don't feel sorry for them because it's usually the people that would do the same thing to me given half the chance.
    It is most certainly not "human nature." There is no justification for such behavior.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astralsilky View Post
    It is most certainly not "human nature." There is no justification for such behavior.
    +100
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type are you B&D?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people seem to agree that he's Beta NF. ifmd seems to be thinking .

Anyway, what astralsilky complained about looks like it might be a standard Beta attitude (opposed by a Delta).

ETA: B&D considers himself PoLR, so ifmd was most likely incorrect. The Beta/Delta comment still applies, however.
    Last edited by Brilliand; 04-15-2008 at 03:49 AM.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Most people seem to agree that he's Beta NF. ifmd seems to be thinking .

Anyway, what astralsilky complained about looks like it might be a standard Beta attitude (opposed by a Delta).
    I'm sure Beta would beg to differ. I don't think that's a standard attitude of any of the quadras - or any of the types for that matter.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chopin View Post
    I'm sure Beta would beg to differ. I don't think that's a standard attitude of any of the quadras - or any of the types for that matter.
    I'm sure I've read something about Beta expecting betrayal (or, a general attitude of "they would do the same to me")... it may not be universal, but I think it is a tendency. I guess that isn't quite what EllaC described, but it is the reasoning that B&D used. I might generalize it to all victim/aggressor quadras.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    self-type may correlate a lot with actual type. i am taking B&D's self-type into consideration. however, given what i've read of how +Fe manifests in the INFp and its mirror, i'm convinced that even with his self-type in the equation, ENFj is most likely. i'm not unaware of his self-type, is all i'm trying to say here. (perhaps i may develop the case itself in written word some time later.)
    I have to say I get ENFj vibes as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk if u cud attribute those to a type but if i had to i'd say LSI.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a person who has an inadequate sense of self, who by seeing other people encounter misfortune, brings people down to their level and on an even greater level, gets some sort of vindication that other people feel pain, because they believe that others should have to endure the same pain as they have gone through internally with their feelings of lack of self-worth.

It depends, some people like to be in charge and it makes them feel important. For other people, people can never be far enough below them because they still will feel inferior

Some people are shy, others need to test the waters to make sure things are safe before extending themselves. Some people once they see that things are fine, they eventually open up completely with those new people. It's just that some people are those to feel the water before jumping in, while others are splashing right into the deep end right away.

I see why you'd be tempted to say ENTp, because it does kind of resemble stereotypes people have of some insecure ENTps, but you can't really type definitively based on that.

In honesty those are just bad personality traits that you could probably find in any type in some form.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    This is a person who has an inadequate sense of self, who by seeing other people encounter misfortune, brings people down to their level and on an even greater level, gets some sort of vindication that other people feel pain, because they believe that others should have to endure the same pain as they have gone through internally with their feelings of lack of self-worth.
    It depends, some people like to be in charge and it makes them feel important. For other people, people can never be far enough below them because they still will feel inferior
    Some people are shy, others need to test the waters to make sure things are safe before extending themselves. Some people once they see that things are fine, they eventually open up completely with those new people. It's just that some people are those to feel the water before jumping in, while others are splashing right into the deep end right away.
    I see why you'd be tempted to say ENTp, because it does kind of resemble stereotypes people have of some insecure ENTps, but you can't really type definitively based on that.
    In honesty those are just bad personality traits that you could probably find in any type in some form.
    +100 - really insightful

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chopin View Post
    +100 - really insightful

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I'm sure I've read something about Beta expecting betrayal (or, a general attitude of "they would do the same to me")... it may not be universal, but I think it is a tendency. I guess that isn't quite what EllaC described, but it is the reasoning that B&D used. I might generalize it to all victim/aggressor quadras.
    Are you referring to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by wikisocion.org
    Talking about personal matters in a group is not something that Betas generally do. It's viewed almost as treachery when something that was told in a one-on-one conversation is retold in front of a group, or when someone criticizes another person's traits in front of the group. Betas believe such things should be told in private and should not be used to embarrass or belittle a friend.
    If so you're a bit off. If not I havn't got a clue where you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand
    I think the beta attitude in question is more related to betas tendency to make fun of/laugh at shit that people go through not 'cause they're evil, but as a way of dealing with the mess. I seem to have trouble explaining this clearly . It isn't to make the person who faces these challenges feel bad about himself, though it looks like it to some people. I'm not sure if this has to do with what B&D was writing about -indeed I don't know if any beta quadra members agree with me- if not please feel free to correct me.