Thread: Census Project 2017

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Census Project 2017

There was some discussion in the chatbox about getting statistics about the forum population. We have stickied polls in the quadra subforums where members can vote on their type, but these are many years old. It may thus be informative and beneficial to start a new batch.

To a significant extent, these will be like taping a sand dune. However, we could start a new batch every two years or so, and members could post in the thread if their types have changed.

It would be best to have a minimal number of options in each poll with it being possible to only vote on one option. One poll in a subforum would have the four quadra types as options. Another could have subtypes, including a neutal/undecided option (i.e. simply "ILE"). We could have similar threads for the enneagram and the husselhog.

This thread is essentially intended as a place to plan the whole exercise.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

me like this.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you get statistics directly from each person's profile who have logged in and posted in the past 2 years? Maybe post a sticky letting people know they have until New Years to update their info since many people log in occasionally. Then compile the statistics in excel. I'm not sure how this website is made but you might even be able to write a short program to automatically gather this info.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even better, install invasive security cameras in each member's home and farm out the VI to Mechanical Turk for 1 penny on the typing.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@sindri that's a good proposal...the admin should theoretically be able to get data for any of the profile fields in a batch. I imagine that it should also be possible to do something similar for the field "Last Activity" (Date).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I suppose this could just as well be redone annually, because we can always refer to older editions if we want to get a bigger sample of type demographics on the forum.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I was thinking we could have a census with all 16 types as options in the What's My Type? subforum, with the possibility of being able to vote for multiple types (unlike how I've made the quadra ones single-choice only). It doesn't really need to be stickied, as it could be linked from the quadra census threads. The subtype threads do not need to be stickied either, as they can be linked from the main quadra census threads. I will get round to making an index in this thread also.

If a mod could sticky the new census threads (and unsticky the older ones), that would be great.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What is it for?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    What is it for?
    Forum population statistics are likely to be found illuminating, and the threads & polls can act as a record of how members' self-typings change over time.