Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian or not?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vegetarian or not?

I'm thinking of turning my back on meat. Has anyone else made the change recently, if so, how have you found life without it. Does it make food shopping more complicated? Have you felt better, healthier?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meat as you eat it isn't really that nutritional, unless you're eating offal rather than muscle meat (which I doubt).

I lived as a budgetarian. Shopping was really easy, you just buy whatever is cheap and in season. Cooking vegetables is a lot less hassle, since food hygiene is less of a concern. Wash em and chop em, and then throw them in a pan with some oil or simmer them in a pot for 30 minutes. It's also a lot of fun anticipating the seasons and the changing recipes available to you. I used to look forward to Summers full of zucchinis and eggplants and Winters full of parsnips. Of course you can still eat out of season, it's just more expensive.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been vegetarian for 7-8 years now. It was as simple as watching a slaughter video and making the decision. In my opinion, it's not a difficult switch. It's as simple as telling yourself you want to keep meat out of your diet, then doing it. There are also plenty of meat substitutes out there - they can be an acquired taste if you're sensitive to taste, but it shouldn't take too long if you're able to force yourself to eat stuff. And contrary to what most believe, vegetarians can eat more than just vegetables and do get enough protein if they eat the proper foods. Quinoa is actually a decent protein source, and there are plenty of good uses/recipes for it online.

My most recent switch was (again) going from vegetarian to vegan. I was previously vegan for two years (2010-12) and had been contemplating the return for a few months before making the absolute decision on Saturday night. That switch can always be a bit difficult at first, especially if you're around other people who don't understand or respect a vegan diet, but I think if you can make it through the first week, then the rest should be a smooth run.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roro View Post
    I have been vegetarian for 7-8 years now. It was as simple as watching a slaughter video and making the decision. In my opinion, it's not a difficult switch. It's as simple as telling yourself you want to keep meat out of your diet, then doing it. There are also plenty of meat substitutes out there - they can be an acquired taste if you're sensitive to taste, but it shouldn't take too long if you're able to force yourself to eat stuff. And contrary to what most believe, vegetarians can eat more than just vegetables and do get enough protein if they eat the proper foods. Quinoa is actually a decent protein source, and there are plenty of good uses/recipes for it online.

My most recent switch was (again) going from vegetarian to vegan. I was previously vegan for two years (2010-12) and had been contemplating the return for a few months before making the absolute decision on Saturday night. That switch can always be a bit difficult at first, especially if you're around other people who don't understand or respect a vegan diet, but I think if you can make it through the first week, then the rest should be a smooth run.
    Animals will kill each other and just as soon as kill you, why do you care about killing them?

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My response wasn't put up for a debate.

"When it comes to...the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." (Ingrid Newkirk)

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roro View Post
    My response wasn't put up for a debate.

"When it comes to...the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." (Ingrid Newkirk)
    I'll take that as you don't have an answer to the question then.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having to learn to cook differently would defently be a challenge as I generally have a very small window of time in which to cook. Defenetly not vegan for me, that is far too much hard work, and words, that aint much of an argument against vegetarianism lol

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is implied in the quote.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starhand View Post
    I'm thinking of turning my back on meat. Has anyone else made the change recently, if so, how have you found life without it. Does it make food shopping more complicated? Have you felt better, healthier?
    I've dabbled with vegetarianism and also veganism and I will say that it makes shopping more limited if you want to do it healthy, eg a veggie on potato chips coke and chocolate is not a health diet - if you want to do it healthy especially the vegan you are pretty much f*d if you are out your home and you haven't come prepared with food. So either you are very disciplined or it's not healthy as you will just reach for whatever you can due to hunger, or stay hungry which also is not good

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

been raised veggie and decided age 7 to keep being veggie...that was 30 years ago. You don't really want the kind of meat that is manufactured now anyway. If you have to hunt to feed yourself and have respect for the animals you kill then fair enough imo. Otherwise it's completely unessary, most people that feel they crave meat are often craving the additives and not the meat itself.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My reasoning for becomong vegetarian by the way is on the grounds of better health as apposed to the suffering of animals. Although animals not suffering would be a pleasant bonus

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All very balanced points I found Gems point very interesting, additives in meat, really?

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My reasoning for becomong vegetarian by the way is on the grounds of better health as apposed to the suffering of animals. Although animals not suffering would be a pleasant bonus
    In that case, and I am sure you have done your research, but if you aren't aware, I would recommend following the mcdougall diet for veganism. It's mostly backed up with research but further you go into it someone always presents a study to say something else

For a while I did it, then done it twice a week, now I don't. I felt as though I had lost some strength but my cardio was good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not done any research, I've not eaten meat now for nearly to weeks, more by accedent than by design. I dont know if it's just coincidence but I feel almost detoxed, is that how you feel as a vegetarian/vegan?

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've not done any research, I've not eaten meat now for nearly to weeks, more by accedent than by design. I dont know if it's just coincidence but I feel almost detoxed, is that how you feel as a vegetarian/vegan?
    No I think that the additional fibre is responsible for that. But as you are deciding between vegetarianism and veganism - if you don't go the whole hogg cutting down on milk is a good idea for lots of reasons on the net you will find.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks words, Google it is

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

First stages would be to cut down on processed meat, and then to cut down on red meat, as these have been shown to be particularly unhealthy.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Animals will kill each other and just as soon as kill you, why do you care about killing them?
    They generally don't imprison and torture each other first.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    They generally don't imprison and torture each other first.
    The storage of animals is a different debate as to whether to consume them.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The storage of animals is a different debate as to whether to consume them.
    I am a vegetarian because I don't want animals to be tortured and killed for my meals. How is that not the same debate?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a vegetarian for four years; I was not any healthier while I refrained from eating meat, though meat is not a large part of my diet now…. I think in terms of health it depends on the individual, and it can also get expensive depending on what kind of vegetarian you are. It’s fairly easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian btw.

On a separate note I’m not sure I’d rather be mauled by a lion or whatever than kept in a cage. I imagine being mauled would be pretty terrifying and in the wild it’s usually the young or weak being eaten. I’ve seen many documentaries and it’s a brutal life either way.

I think it’s a matter of personal preference. Hope I was helpful.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I am a vegetarian because I don't want animals to be tortured and killed for my meals. How is that not the same debate?
    A chicken kept in a cage and a free range chicken which is killed is torture vs natural death. And yes natural - have you seen how animals kill other animals I am sure you have and it's not pretty but it is nature.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a difficult one to debate, however I tend to fall on the side of not mistreating animals. We are not one with nature!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same concern over expense and waste chriscory, veg tends to go off pretty quick and I'm not sure I like it frozen.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wondered how a fisherman would feel if he got hooked as he was about to take a bite out of his big mac?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never. I lust after the savor of meats.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a "vegetarian" for three years (I still ate eggs and milk products) and it didn't work so well for me. I actually love all the meat substitute products and any kind of veg, but after two years I had an unmeasurable level of cholesterol and was skinny as hell with far too little muscle mass.

It doesn't seem like avoiding meat could have had that effect -- I definitely didn't expect it. It's exactly the sort of thing people say to argue against vegetarianism and sounds ignorant, but yeah. I know people who do vegetarianism successfully, and I've met a couple who had experiences like mine.

Cooking and eating out weren't that difficult for me, just required some habit changes and planning. Dinners with family or whatever were harder bc I don't feel ppl should plan a menu around me if I choose an exceptional diet.

I do know that we eat too much meat (too much protein generally) in the United States. I'd be willing to try vegetarianism again, but with the guidance of a nutritionist. Well, except ... sausage. Sausage is awesome.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about eating meat only on weekends and fish whenever you like for starters?

Cheap lab-cultivated quality meat would be very effective in ending the debate on this, but it's not relevant to starhand's interests if he/she would be in it for the health benefits.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if an animal kills me it's one thing... but if animals are raising me from birth, feeding me shit i'm not meant to eat, pumping me full of hormones, keeping me from sunlight, covered in my own shit and i'm so deformed by the whole process i can't even stand up on my own.... that's a whole other story.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not a vegetarian but for the most part i eat like one. i don't believe in eating the meat that is widely available to us. it's just not ethical or safe. so because of that, i can't really afford to eat meat lol. but i love vegetables so i don't actually mind at all.

saying we need meat for our health is absolute bullshit. you get plenty of protein from vegetables, nuts, and grains. you obviously have to have a balanced diet regardless of whether or not you're eating meat, and that's most people's problem.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would be one, and tried to be one a few years back, but I was already pretty skinny to begin with and wasn't able to keep up my caloric intake. I am a big fan of eating foods that are processed as little as possible and with very few additives. Sometimes I buy meat from a beef farm that is traditional in how it raises its cattle, in that the cows don'teat, live, and poo in the same stall. They are grass fed, and aren't slaughtered while on antibiotics. They also sell free range chicken meat. The meat from there delicious, but unfortunately I can hardly afford to eat it anymore. I usually only eat 2 or 3 servings of meat a week at the most anyways. I practically live on peanut butter, potatoes, rice, bread, veggies, and various oils.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well another day has passed without meat, this aint too bad, so far! Gonna be hard though when I go out for a meal I guess.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Cheap lab-cultivated quality meat would be very effective in ending the debate on this, but it's not relevant to starhand's interests if he/she would be in it for the health benefits.
    Lab meat can be made as lean as possible and loaded with vitamins.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Lab meat can be made as lean as possible and loaded with vitamins.
    So it would be possibly to become almost fully carnivorous as well. Win-win.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is surprisingly easy, at least for many. You won't probably get cravings anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Hummus wraps
    Local hummmus is consistently bad. And if you often visit the local restaurant, the two choices they have get boring. Also, say goodbyes to a wide portion of the buffet.

Not trying to say it ain't worth it but it can suck, depending on your dining habits.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what's really surprised me about this whole venture I've absolutely no longing for meat. I could never give up coffee, the cigarettes I took in my stride, but was no walk in the park, excuse the pun!

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I'm also going back and forth in contemplating whether I should become a vegetarian or not.

For ethical and health reasons, I have been on a strict vegan diet for about a month before, but it took a toll on my health. I had trouble concentrating, and felt as if I was deficient in certain nutrients/minerals, no matter whether I took certain vitamin pills and had a lot of vegetables each day, or not.

Since that incidence, I told myself never to go vegan again.
    (If you are a vegan and thriving on it, good for you! That is admirable! I enjoy vegan meals, but being a full-time vegan just is not good for my body.)

Nowadays, I usually only consume organic animal products, and very rarely non-organic ones. I have limited my meat consumption to one serving a weak, at most two. I am planning on reducing that to one serving per month, eventually only for "special occasions", like on a birthday or christmas party – and perhaps, finally, to no meat at all.

But something is holding me back. I have had issues with disordered eating in the past, and something in me gets really uncomfortable when I think of cutting down on certain things. Also, I feel uneasy when something is 'final', as in eating no meat ever again, or eating no candy ever again, or not doing this and that ever again. I need to feel like there is a possibility of doing any of those things if I want. (This could be due to the fact I see the world as 'dynamic', like a stereotypical IEI would.)

If I said I am vegetarian, I would have to stick to it. If, due to any reasons, I won't, I would feel like a failure and inauthentic.
    I feel more comfortable saying I eat mostly vegetarian, with meat on occasion. I limit my meat consumption, due to ethical and health reasons.

However, I do eat meat on occasion because humans have naturally evolved to be omnivores, and there is no shame in eating meat as an omnivore, just as it is okay for a carnivore to eat meat. And I have to admit, I just like the taste of (good) meat.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elina View Post
    I've tried cutting out meat a couple times... It's never worked lol My metabolism is very fast, so I get hungry often even with meat in my diet.
    Any time I tried to cut it out or cut down I got too hungry and couldn't eat often enough due to work schedule and also got headaches
    My willpower is also not the greatest...
    The weird thing about this is that carbs keep you fuller longer and generally when you cut meat
    out of your diet you tend to eat more carbs (specifically) and fats to balance out the lost protein
    ratios and keep your macros in check.

Perhaps you were accidentally undereating when you eliminated meat from your diet.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast