Thread: Timekeeping skills

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Timekeeping skills

I created a thread in Gamma about the LIE and timekeeping, and apparently they're poor at timekeeping in comparison with other types, such as their dual. This indicates that it is functionally-related, and I'd like to know to what function(s) it is related.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean time-keeping or time-using?
    And this, too, shall pass away.

ILI

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually very good at timekeeping on my own. When I worked at UPS I had this sort of playful bet with an ESTj I loaded with. I didn't wear my watch but I made the boast that it didn't matter, I always knew what time it was. He thought it was pretty funny so at random intervals throughout the shift on different days he'd call me out on it. On average I was no more than five minutes early or late.

I would think this would be Ni because I would basically do it by visualizing in general form everything I'd done to that point and getting a feel for the time it would take to do all that stuff (i.e. how many walls of packages I'd built, discussions I'd had, other events of notable duration, etc).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird, I was just about to start a thread about punctuality.

I propose that this is related to the static vs. dynamic dichotomy. I think static types are more punctual than dynamic types, generally speaking. ISxjs are probably the most punctual of all types.

When I consider people I've known, here are my limited observations:

EJ: unless they've consciously decided to be early, they're more likely to be late than not

IP: depends on the IP and what they're doing

EP: depends on the EP and what they're doing

IJ: unless something has caused them to be late, they're more likely to be early or on time than not (and it bothers them a lot to be late)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also wonder if sensory types may be more likely to be punctual than intuitive types.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as I've said before, calenders and schedules and dates and the time (as in 6:00, 7:30, noon, etc.) are static things.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally tend to be quite punctual, although it doesn't really bother me if I'm late (unless I'm already irritable, but then again if I'm irritable then everything will bother me so meh). If I'm uncertain about the timing of something, I'll try and be early rather than late. Depending on the circumstances, I can take this to extremes at times.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I created a thread in Gamma about the LIE and timekeeping, and apparently they're poor at timekeeping in comparison with other types, such as their dual. This indicates that it is functionally-related, and I'd like to know to what function(s) it is related.
    I would call it "overconfident timekeeping" as opposed to "poor."

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    IJ: unless something has caused them to be late, they're more likely to be early or on time than not (and it bothers them a lot to be late)
    It doesn't always bother me. It depends a lot on the situation.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also wonder if sensory types may be more likely to be punctual than intuitive types.
    I know a LSI (E1) dude who always get on time, even if expected time was only just theoretical rather than functional. For this I call him a "legalistic machine".

Those LSI's...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early or late: not type related, but habit.

I know a LSI (E1) dude who always get on time, even if expected time was only just theoretical rather than functional. For this I call him a "legalistic machine".
    That's something I really like of LSI, since I'm the same way.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, but maybe Rational types acquire such habit more easily.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I would call it "overconfident timekeeping" as opposed to "poor."
    That's just poor + positivism.

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post

Those LSI's...
    ESI's, too. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, it's that as well. I used to be late almost all of the time, now since Peter's moved in I'm almost always early, even if he isn't coming with me.

And I know an IEE who's almost always late. I know when he says 9:00 he means 9:15.

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Yeah, but maybe Rational types acquire such habit more easily.
    I think they just typically care more?
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interpreting 9:00 as 9:15 isn't bad. try waiting for an hour or two. ;p

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this is a colleague and we're talking about professional appointments! And the funny thing is, most of his clients are very wealthy.
    SEE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm usually late. but not excessively so. only fashionably so. lol

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Creepy-Cyclops

Two of my friends always turn up on time, even early. I don't really get that because they're just gonna be hanging around by themselves because well, everyone else is late.

Timekeeping isn't exact, I like to see it as more or less a very rough guide

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a difference between being late for social meetings, being late for appointments with doctors and stuff, and being late for important/business meetings.
    SEE

Creepy-Cyclops

There's a difference between being late for social meetings, being late for appointments with doctors and stuff, and being late for important/business meetings.
    Yeah I wouldn't be late for a business meeting as I would be unsure what sort of impression that would create(ie possibly a negative one)

..unless I already knew them well, or perhaps I was making so much money or had so much other business on the go already.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's just poor + positivism.
    *shrug* "Overconfident" is still better descriptively than just "poor."

Yes, it's the consequences that usually determine how late or early I am. Consequences and what's important to me. For example, sitting around chit-chatting with people I don't know isn't as important as getting to the vet to stitch up a big cut on my dog's leg.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    they are CREATIVE with time in that they can be late for their good or opposite - be on time. they can also apparently (readings) forget about it at all sometimes.
    Nope. Like I said, specific times (as in 9:00) are not dynamic. Ni is about "time" as in events in time, specifically the past and future... not being somewhere at a specific time.
    SEE

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not so sure if this is type related or not. If my observations mean anything to this discussion, then I will say that an ISFj friend and a ISFj co-worker are never late, two ISTj's are usually not late but can be, and an INFj is late some of the time.

Many IP's I know are often late

EP's can vary

EJ's, like IJ's, are rarely late.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to add that I am almost never late, unless the meeting is not important or there is some circumstance that would cause me to be late (in the later case I call the person). On the other hand I know another ENTp that is almost never on time unless the meeting is very important.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The interconnectedness of past and future events is what Ni is about, dee.

Also...

And as I've said before, calenders and schedules and dates and the time (as in 6:00, 7:30, noon, etc.) are static things.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes sense, but since Ni is a P function, it's perceiving these that what it might be about (in part?).
    Are you asking if it's perceiving what is happening in the past and future? Or why it's happening? Or something else?

@ Joy: say if i get told some number, is the use of my ... static function requested, or is it ... Te?
    For some reason I'm not following either of these questions.

Being told(?) a number isn't related to one specific information element.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would tend to disagree. Numbers are a system. I think they're related to more information elements than just Te.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I created a thread in Gamma about the LIE and timekeeping, and apparently they're poor at timekeeping in comparison with other types
    Ahh yes, one of those functional ironies that's annoying as hell. You'd first be tempted to think that Te+Ni, at face value, would be the most efficient!

Maybe too much efficiency is what leads to the inefficiency: trying to cram too much activity into too little time. Or maybe Ni fitted into the "creative" functional slot = perceptual time dilation upon the LIE's undertaking of a Te task. Heh heh. Or, is it possible that the dominant Te leads to a perfectionism which is not practical in the real world, and so "time slips away"? Do they tend to overidealize what they think they can accomplish in a given time (always imagining a best scenario) and then expect to meet that standard? And then not only fail to compromise their degree of performance, but are inclined to overdo it if they can perform just a little bit better/accomplish a little bit more, when they are in the mode?

Oddly enough, by contrast, a couple ENFj's I've known well enough appear to be gifted with organizing their time and making good use of it in the midst of their activities. And then there's the intermittent, "I wonder how X is doing?" / "I should give Y a call ... " / "My brother must've gotten home from Z right about now" etc.