Thread: Internal vs external reality

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Internal vs. external reality

I think sometimes to myself why people don't see me internally. They don't see the real me. They just can process what I show them. I have a kind of adolescent thing with this.

But then I'm like, I self-correct myself. And I realize I don't see them internally much either. I just see them on the outside. I still don't understand why my grandma is afraid of cats, my dad gets so anal about germs- the way my mom is like such a go-getter always on the run. I want them to get me and my motivations but I don't know anything about theirs! =/

I only understand the internal concepts of people who are like me. And I don't meet many people who are quite like me, partly because the people who are like me are doing the same things I'm doing and are just on the internet all day or have their nose in a book or they're writing some story. So if I am actually awake enough to see some people like me and be understood- and they are awake enough as well it's like Ahhhh. This feels so good. Why was I trying to get internal validation from people that couldn't really ever give it in the first place?

LOL @ me.

Hell I don't even understand why I'm like, pretty 'bookish' and just like going online all day either. I just do it. Why do people write, paint draw, sky drive, like going to work make money, are homeless but happy hippies, talk endlessly about non-productive shit, like to do productiive shit? Why why why. Cause no matter what the consequence it seems, we are internally drawn to whatever we are internally drawn to- and nobody can escape that. Nobody. But you realize that people are only going to ever know what you tell them and how you appear. So don't think people are necessarily being 'fake' just because they're not catering to our internal whims every 3 seconds. They're really just too busy dealing and sorting out theirs to pay you no nevermind.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's true.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also agree.

The thing is, at least I find, it seems that a lot of people are content with knowing only the external reality. Perhaps this is because the more we know about the internal reality of a person, the more we feel obligated to that person and we begin to carry their burdens, thus the less free we become. Then they are people who resist externalizing their internal reality so as to avoid others feeling obligated and burdened by them.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    I also agree.

The thing is, at least I find, it seems that a lot of people are content with knowing only the external reality. Perhaps this is because the more we know about the internal reality of a person, the more we feel obligated to that person and we begin to carry their burdens, thus the less free we become. Then they are people who resist externalizing their internal reality so as to avoid others feeling obligated and burdened by them.
    Is freedom being an island unto oneself? In a way, being known (and knowing someone else) is freeing. Because you know that they can accept you for who you REALLY are, not just for the persona you're projecting.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BulletsAndDoves:
    But you realize that people are only going to ever know what you tell them and how you appear. So don't think people are necessarily being 'fake' just because they're not catering to our internal whims every 3 seconds. They're really just too busy dealing and sorting out theirs to pay you no nevermind.
    Very true. I just recently realized this truth. It is important because if you ignore it, you may walk around with a strong dislike or resentment towards those you believe are "not seeing you or noticing how different you are," which is clearly overly self-indulgent thinking, because people are naturally preoccupied with other things, and often feel misunderstood themselves.

The Greeter:
    Also, very true. Sometimes, we depend too much on external reality and miss quite a bit about a person or situation because we just don't want to put the effort in to step outside the comfort zone to find out more (not that this means we need to be personally involved in everyone's reality - that would just be too much and probably unhealthy for us and them).

redbaron:
    Is freedom being an island unto oneself? In a way, being known (and knowing someone else) is freeing. Because you know that they can accept you for who you REALLY are, not just for the persona you're projecting.
    Wise words. No man is an island, even the loner can't stand being alone.
    Last edited by parcel; 08-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    EII

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Being known is freeing, yet involves a loss of power; knowing others is limiting, but involves a gain of power.

"With great power comes great responsibility" - the greater you are, the less free you are. The least free of all is the god in whom no one believes.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Being known is freeing, yet involves a loss of power; knowing others is limiting, but involves a gain of power.
    So true.
    EII