Thread: Is this Si?

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this Si?

If someone is always saving up coupons and using them in grocery stores, does it indicate Si valuer? Or Te?

Not talking about big savings, but 50c here and $1 there kind of savings.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means it's your grandma from Ohio.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

money - Se value. some Se are irrationally greedy

may relate to Te too, - if those money are thought as significant and messing with coupons is not annoying

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My ESI grandma from Ohio and my LSE mother from Ohio and my SLI ex-wife from Michigan all clipped coupons.

I looked at the time required to go through and cut out those coupons and the amount of money "saved" (since the coupons were a way of advertising products that you otherwise might not buy) and decided to never do that, since the money I "saved" was worth less than the value of my time spent clipping coupons.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

coupon clippings are a function of time, you may as well ask about which type uses a telegraph. a better way to think about it is a person who seeks out deals or will adjust course in order to take advantage of one. this could be a 50% off peanut butter price tag, an email discount code, a subreddit dedicated to flash sales, people who get out for black friday, etc. I would agree with sol that high Se with valued Te, but not high dimensionality, is more about jumping on stuff and taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves in space. higher Te is more nuanced in that they don't need people to tell them something is a deal (in fact the best deals are precisely those that aren't advertised, the opportunity that only you see, etc and often involve more complex chains of actions), Si is more about convenience than getting out to fight the crowd, etc. In short, the stereotype probably resembles most closely gamma ethical types, but any type can pinch a penny if they actually need to because they're poor or whatever

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, I typed this person SEI.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I was a teenager my mom paid for our groceries(300+ a month) by buying toilet paper with a coupon and refunding it for more than she bought it for (or some other similar trick).

I had her take the test one time and she got ENTj.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not at all, but that alone is not a reliable parameter for typing imo.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    When I was a teenager my mom paid for our groceries(300+ a month) by buying toilet paper with a coupon and refunding it for more than she bought it for (or some other similar trick).

I had her take the test one time and she got ENTj.
    We all doin’ what we can.

- Lennon-McCartney

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Idk.

Does burping with your mouth closed means hes a Si valuer?

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High level of thrifty may be type related.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutley it is related to Si. This is the reason SEI are more competent at living than IEI, even though they share the same weaknesses.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    We all doin’ what we can.

- Lennon-McCartney
    We didn't need the money, it was just her hobby.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol thats awesome

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eos View Post
    Absolutley it is related to Si. This is the reason SEI are more competent at living than IEI, even though they share the same weaknesses.
    Come to think of it I do know some thrifty Si doms.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

being thrifty and being a coupon maniac are two different things imo. Ofc, most sensors can have a good/decent sense of the use of resources, comparatively speaking over intuitives, but from my experience, I'd just put that into ST Deltas, not alphas, even when alphas SF are capable of manage themselves with little.

I do have experiences with alphas SF saving pennies in indecorous ways like for example not giving tips or not paying their bills . So maybe that person is SEI indeed, but I dont think that alone is enough for typing.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GF is SEI and if I let her have her way, we would be in debt right now, instead of having savings in our savings account. I (IEE) do all the groceries, because then we buy what we need (i.e. what's on the groceries list) instead of being seduced into buying stuff that add no real value to our lives. And in the process, I do groceries in a way, without coupons, that saves us about 1000 euros each year. My shopping behavior is, I admit, of a mobilizing-Te style, but it does get us an extra vacation each year ;-)

So yes, SEIs can be thrifty or whatever, but they can be the opposite just as easily. Same for IEEs, so not really type related.

When it comes to shopping for groceries, there are really only two types in the world: healthy mature ones who are in control of their both their needs and their spendings, and immature unhealthy ones, who are not.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do know old person who cuts the coupons and then drives (40 kms) to the hypermarket to do groceries.

Especially if it is special brand of coffee which means that there exist no obstacles that is too big.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess if you create some kind of system where the person is actually paying the large amount but experience it as it being cheep and walk away happy would be some sort of Te- Si+ kind of deal.

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I have enough Ti to devise a system if my life depended on it but let me see if I can put it into words.

There are people just give out a vibe they would likely to do XXX or YYY and others just don't give out such a vibe. In this case, some people just give out a vibe they would enjoy simple pleasures that don't harm anyone, like small savings. But I have a hard time see some others going through the trouble to save a buck. Since there is no big difference in their financial situations or age or background or anything external I put the difference on their personalities.

Might not be as simple as related to one particular IE but still likely related to personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    My ESI grandma from Ohio and my LSE mother from Ohio and my SLI ex-wife from Michigan all clipped coupons.

I looked at the time required to go through and cut out those coupons and the amount of money "saved" (since the coupons were a way of advertising products that you otherwise might not buy) and decided to never do that, since the money I "saved" was worth less than the value of my time spent clipping coupons.
    Exactly.

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Not to mention more often than not in order to use those coupons and "save" you have to spend on things you otherwise wouldn't need and end up spending more.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yours Truly View Post
    I don't think I have enough Ti to devise a system if my life depended on it but let me see if I can put it into words.

There are people just give out a vibe they would likely to do XXX or YYY and others just don't give out such a vibe. In this case, some people just give out a vibe they would enjoy simple pleasures that don't harm anyone, like small savings. But I have a hard time see some others going through the trouble to save a buck. Since there is no big difference in their financial situations or age or background or anything external I put the difference on their personalities.

Might not be as simple as related to one particular IE but still likely related to personalities.
    You conveyed the Ti ok =)

But I don't think 8 IEs can explain this all.

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Not to mention more often than not in order to use those coupons and "save" you have to spend on things you otherwise wouldn't need and end up spending more.
    I use them only if I actually need the item - and if I have the time to look at coupons and then bother with taking them to the right place when shopping. Then it's actual savings for sure but I often don't bother with it. If I had a great need to literally save every penny then I'd not have a problem bothering with it.

In general too, that's how I approach financial issues. Good at money stuff if I want to care for a real reason, otherwise I don't get too hung up on the small details. It's all flexible for me, determined by current financial situation (this includes future expectations too, I guess).

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    I use them only if I actually need the item - and if I have the time to look at coupons and then bother with taking them to the right place when shopping. Then it's actual savings for sure but I often don't bother with it. If I had a great need to literally save every penny then I'd not have a problem bothering with it.

In general too, that's how I approach financial issues. Good at money stuff if I want to care for a real reason, otherwise I don't get too hung up on the small details. It's all flexible for me, determined by current financial situation (this includes future expectations too, I guess).
    I am the same way. I am overall responsible and disciplined when it comes to financial matters but not in small details.

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ex-roommate on the other hand, does not clip coupons but she always remembers other people's money and is very very interested in others' financial situations and she often talks about how much others spends on purchases and passes judgment. She also likes to give away old but still usable items to family and friends because she would "hate wasting".

Is that's Se HA?

She is EIE or LIE (obvious Si-PoLR).

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've read regifting and things of that sort are often manifestations of Te HA. basically its a way to wring some benefit from a thing that takes it to be almost an absolute and self evident good despite it sometimes being viewed as tacky, puerile, excessive, or unnecessary by others. in other words, they sort of innocently think this sort of wringing inasmuch as it preserves or extends any residual value speaks for itself, whereas onlookers are like, "this person is kind of nuts", in light of other factors. the really cringey instances of this are when they try to do a play-on-value to their own benefit but get caught out. like a version of trying to sell free newspapers. its a kind of LIE-lite. on a grand enough scale such an operation could be genius but its usually some hackneyed 2d version of it

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE?

Hmm, I will have to think about that. She dresses like homeless and her room looks worse than a pig sty (our ESE roommate almost had a heart attack when saw it the first time) and she has long terms goals and is doing a good job systematically achieving her goals. To me that says good Ni and poor Si.

Anyway she is not IEE as she is no Delta.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well giving stuff away is different than trying to get some return on it (even re-gifting is like trying to meet your holliday obligations, etc). so it would go to how much she tries to benefit from her reputation for being so charitable. SEE could run that shit into the ground, whereas ESI or EII might be more genuinely altruistic albeit not particularly economically savy. EIE having decent sense and not being particularly self-interested in the same way might be a good guess because it captures many of these dynamics but in a more moderate way. You could kind of see how SEE might fancy themselves as being like the EIE, which goes to benefit relations, while being a little less artistic and a little more exaggerated and self interested at bottom. a kind of imitation that views things a little too concretely

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I knew an SEE and LII who regift stuff. Both are kinda stingy.
    Neither me or my LSE dad use coupons in daily basis. I rarely get excited about something and coupons are not an exception. Me and my IEE mate had used coupons for cinema sometimes.
    Maybe all of this is ntr.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yours Truly View Post
    If someone is always saving up coupons and using them in grocery stores, does it indicate Si valuer? Or Te?

Not talking about big savings, but 50c here and $1 there kind of savings.
    I'm an Se-valuer and I'm very thrifty when it comes to money. I often buy all my clothes, shoes, and bags from budget stores. To me, money is a precious resource and it shouldn't be wasted.
    I believe in saving money for a rainy day. I'm only in my mid-twenties, but I've already begun planning for retirement.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Arbys is one of those places where its so expensive coupons there may not be type related, it just makes universal sense

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    We didn't need the money, it was just her hobby.
    But why can you refund toilet paper which was bought with coupons? The store owner where one can do this at must be silly

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    But why can you refund toilet paper which was bought with coupons? The store owner where one can do this at must be silly
    I don't remember the details but it was a racket a lot of people participated in to make it happen

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think coupon clipping and "tiny savings" in general are really funny, since the profit:effort ratio is usually lower than the ratio of any job and often coupons/discounts/offers are just means to get you to spend more money or invest yourself in a certain brand, etc. The reason is probably Te-valuing, wanting to save money and be efficient, but not enough skill in Te to notice that it's technically inefficient and pointless (weak Te, and therefore the types more prone to this would be ESFp, ISFj, ENFp, INFj).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    higher Te is more nuanced in that they don't need people to tell them something is a deal (in fact the best deals are precisely those that aren't advertised, the opportunity that only you see, etc and often involve more complex chains of actions)
    The best example that comes to mind is my mum, strong Fi and Te valuing (either INFj or ENFp-Fi). She would get really mad at me for leaving random lights on around the house (low-consumption bulbs), despite me explaining that each bulb consumed barely any electricity (about 10W each) and that it would cost us about 3 dollars even if we left all the lights on for an entire month. Another example is my ENFp grandma, she wouldn't flush the toilet because she thought she could save (significant) money on the water bill. Both of them are wasteful in day to day life, buy useless things they never use, and get mad when you point that out to them.
    My experience with Te-valuers with strong Te, is that they're actually thrifty and they only take offers when they end up winning. I think they save by not buying unnecessary stuff to begin with, although there's a stereotype that they're penny-pinchers.
    I have an ExTj grandma and an ESTj uncle, both are very cautious to spend money, but their thriftiness has a logical backup (what if something bad happened and you didn't have money to cover yourself or your loved ones) and it's never just mindless penny pinching. Also, if you really need it they'd always lend you some.
    Just some random thoughts.

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Timmy View Post
    I think coupon clipping and "tiny savings" in general are really funny, since the profit:effort ratio is usually lower than the ratio of any job and often coupons/discounts/offers are just means to get you to spend more money or invest yourself in a certain brand, etc. The reason is probably Te-valuing, wanting to save money and be efficient, but not enough skill in Te to notice that it's technically inefficient and pointless (weak Te, and therefore the types more prone to this would be ESFp, ISFj, ENFp, INFj).

The best example that comes to mind is my mum, strong Fi and Te valuing (either INFj or ENFp-Fi). She would get really mad at me for leaving random lights on around the house (low-consumption bulbs), despite me explaining that each bulb consumed barely any electricity (about 10W each) and that it would cost us about 3 dollars even if we left all the lights on for an entire month. Another example is my ENFp grandma, she wouldn't flush the toilet because she thought she could save (significant) money on the water bill. Both of them are wasteful in day to day life, buy useless things they never use, and get mad when you point that out to them.
    My experience with Te-valuers with strong Te, is that they're actually thrifty and they only take offers when they end up winning. I think they save by not buying unnecessary stuff to begin with, although there's a stereotype that they're penny-pinchers.
    I have an ExTj grandma and an ESTj uncle, both are very cautious to spend money, but their thriftiness has a logical backup (what if something bad happened and you didn't have money to cover yourself or your loved ones) and it's never just mindless penny pinching. Also, if you really need it they'd always lend you some.
    Just some random thoughts.

The bolded part makes a lot of sense to me. I still think that person in question is SEI, though EII with stronger than usual Si is a possibility.