Default BB Cream

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added WA

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been meaning to try it, but it's pretty expensive and my combo of Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation and MAC Studiofix powder works well for me, so I can't really justify buying it.
    Do wanna try it though.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    @glam @Starfall @octo @Ningyo @jessica129

So I've been hearing a lot about BB cream but have never really looked into it. Is it amazing? Is it glorified tinted moisturizer? I'm looking at reviews on Makeupalley, and it must be popular because I've never seen a BB cream section there before. It was talked about a bit in the Cassandra Bankson thread but I thought it needed its own discussion. Thoughts?

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...=Find+Products
    Ummmm.... believe or not I'm the one you should include in your list of mentions as I've been on a BB cream sampling spree the past month or so.

Apparently Korea is wayy ahead of the West in terms of skin care. Real BB cream are Korean brands.

I haven't found my favorite bb cream yet but i've tried the following:

skin79 sampler ($10 for 4 small tubes):
    pink label - good coverage, pinkish tones
    gold label - good coverage, yellowish tones
    diamond - a little sheerer but not bad, nicer texture though, goes on smoother i think
    pearl - very sheer.

Full size skin79 tubes are pretty reasonably priced btw - like $8-9 or so (i forget the # of oz in that one though)

boscia bb cream (from sephora) - really nice texture... coverage a little sheer but not bad... too pricey.

Dr. Jart ( forget which one exactly, got sample @ sephora too) - liked it but wayyy too pricey and SPF too ridiculously high

BRTC Jasmine Water (ordered a 5-pack of samples off ebay) - excellent coverage. My skin looked really great, very natural. Tried it this past week. Am breaking out a bit today but it could be unrelated. I've been stressed this past wk too and not sleeping enough. Full size tube a little pricier than skin79 creams but much cheaper than western "bb cream".

Next up:
    Missha Signature Real Complete
    Skin Food Good Afternoon Rose Lemon tea
    Skin Food Platinum Grape Cell
    Holika Holika Clearing Petit BB

I am also IN LOVE with the Skin Food Salmon undereye concealer (got on ebay a week ago and cant get enough of it--I finally dont have dark bags under my eyes! At least when it's on... ).

btw most of these i've gotten samples for like $2-3 on ebay. I wasn't going to pay full price for a tube until i found my favorite or at least tried it out against my skin. Everyone's skin is different, so you may like different ones from me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

haven't tried it yet, but i want to. kind of broke atm unfortunately.

it was recommended to me by a Korean friend who said she got a Korean brand of it at H-mart (the Asian supermarket chain). she does not wear makeup, but she was going through a stressful period and started breaking out very badly, so she wore it to cover & heal the blemishes and redness. she says it's expensive but worth it.

thanks for the tips, @WorkaholicsAnon !

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and i forgot to mention that yes BB cream is supposed to be like foundation, moisturizer, and primer in one, but skin-healing properties or something like that (depending on the particular one i guess). Some people just use bb cream for all of the above, but I find that it goes on smoother when i have a layer of light moisturizer on underneath (I love Trader Joe's SPF 15 facial moisturizer). I also tend to just apply bb cream to just my trouble areas so i do need spf for the other parts of my face. Your routine might be different. the other nice thing about bb cream is that i've found it blends really well to natural skin tone, even when it initially seems a little off, and even when it covers well, as long as you dont overapply it-- a little goes a long way. You just have to make sure that you get the "light" shade vs the "dark" shade depending on your skin color. Like if you're very fair, opt for the "light" shade. If you're a bit darker or olive skined, opt for the "dark". Sometimes a particular brand only has one shade. You would have to sample it to make sure it's compatible. (actually i recommend that for any of them because there are nuances in the coloring despite what i said above).

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL WA you know I actually thought of you when I made the thread and wondered if you made the jump from Asian soap operas to BB cream. I thought I was being too stereotypical..
    LOL that's hilarious! Indeed i have!

I mean who wouldn't, seeing the actors' and actresses' flawless amazing skin
    Also BB cream was mentioned in a couple of shows (City Hunter is one that immediately comes to mind)... "my mom told me to always use bb cream if i want to attract a good husband" lol

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@octo

re: the skin-whitening: i'm reading a bit and i'm guessing that it's ingredients such as arbutin that give some BBcreams their skin-lightening properties (?). Korean/Asian BBcreams don't typically contain more iffy kinds of skin-lightening chemicals (e.g. hydroquinone), do they?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never even heard of BB Cream until about a week ago when I saw it on a commercial...well, now I'm interested. I'm getting really, incredibly bitter about my current makeup routine.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    What's your current routine, out of interest?
    Dolphin asked me the same, so I'm just going to copy and paste what I sent her.

Wash face w/Saint Ives Apricot Scrub twice daily
    -Cleanse w/ Stridex pads (at night)
    -Apply Terminator Acne gel all over face (at night)
    -Apply Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream SPF 15 (in the morning--love this, omg)
    -Put on an eye moisturizer/brightner followed by Mac Concealer to hide dark spots
    -Apply Revlon Colorstay foundation
    -Physicians formula powder / blush
    -Mac eyeliner
    - And finally, Maybelline Volum Express mascara (I've tried a million mascaras but always come back to this one for some reason--it's not that great, but ok)
    It's not a lot of makeup and I never look overly done, I just struggle like hell with dark circles, acne and allergy eyes (sexy, I know). I just see these women that wake up and look fabulous and I look like a damn trainwreck LOL.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah my skin can take a lot though and it never irritated it before so I dunno..I've found that exfoliating really helps control my breakouts. Now the only time I ever break out is when I fall asleep in makeup or it's pms time. Is my list really long? lol what is a normal routine? It's so exhausting...when a friend asks me out it's like UGH do i really want to do all of this? I think i just look old and dead without makeup. But i'm going to look into this BB cream stuff. Sounds interestng.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i do a lot of stuff too.. i didn't find Jessica's routine to be long at all... lol

i have sensitive skin and also struggle with acne. i'm perhaps irrationally skeptical of trying any kind of essential oil because i feel like it'll break me out.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really tried putting oil on my face except for tea tree oil and I didnt really notice much of a difference. You know, one thing I LOVE as an alternate to chemically overdone toners is Witch Hazel. Gosh it's been years since I've used it for some reason and forgot about it til i read this thread and thought about my old routines. It cleanses and tones and really minimizes the look of red spots quit dramatically. And just for contrast, I'd love to see a guys routine. It'd consist of like...3 things, if that.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, that's interesting that oily skin responds well to more oil. Mine is very oily also and i would just feel like i was rubbing butter on my face if i put more oil on it,it would just feel wrong. Interesting.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've been hearing a lot about BB cream but have never really looked into it. Is it amazing? Is it glorified tinted moisturizer? I'm looking at reviews on Makeupalley, and it must be popular because I've never seen a BB cream section there before. It was talked about a bit in the Cassandra Bankson thread but I thought it needed its own discussion. Thoughts?

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...=Find+Products
    BB cream can be used as a makeup base or foundation (light coverage). I have read somewhere that we would still need to use a moisturizer before applying BB cream, so I guess this is the difference between it and the tinted moisturizer. Anyway, I have been using it for a couple of years and I like how it feels light and looks natural on my face without appearing like I have applied makeup.

I'm currently using ETUDE HOUSE Precious Mineral BB cream (Sheer Silky Skin) which is suitable for oily skin, and I have just bought BB cream from Hanskin as I have read from reviews that Hanskin is very well-known for its range of BB cream and a lot of ladies in Korea swear by it. As for the technique of applying BB cream, unlike normal liquid foundation where you would usually dab it with a sponge and spread the foundation evenly on your face, you need to dot your face with spots of BB cream and pat it evenly throughout your face so that there is a smooth and even coverage.

Here's a video (which I have saved under my "Favorites") on how to apply BB cream:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_U1FOcCeQ

In case you are considering looking around for BB creams to try, you could probably consider buying them from the english website of Gmarket (http://english.gmarket.co.kr/). It is like the Amazon website of Korea. I have friends who bought from that website and I heard from them that they could combine the shipping from various sellers. From the website, you can compare the prices of the same products from different sellers, and see which sellers are highly rated.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to start wearing a bit of make up again, atleast on special occasions where there are cameras . I've gone about a year-and-a-half make-up free. I love the natural look but I also love the even tone of foundation.. so this BB cream sounds perfect. I can't buy make-up off then net and I doubt BB cream or bare minerals is available where I live for under 3x the price..sooo I'll just have to settle for Avon smooth minerals. I'm taking self care a little more seriously now that my self-esteem has gone up abit.. I guess my vanity's back. I reckon their are 5 main "skin sins" and they all start with S in order of the most harmful: sun, smoking, sugar, (lack of) sleep, and stress. Heavy make up is pointless if taking enough care of yourself. Make-ups sole purpose is to make you appear more youthful & fertile.

@Starfall you're dead on about sun protection. I've been doing my own research on the harmful effects of sun exposure & how it accounts for 80% of skin ageing! I'm no longer letting the sun "rape" my porcelain skin I've stopped walking in the sun between 10am and 4pm. I'm a low type II, so I can only get a base tan anyway.. I've *tried* to get a tan in Summer but srsly how stupid of me to damage my skin in the hope of being "bronzed". I avoid UVB like the plague now, wearing spf too because of the unnoticable but deadly UVA rays. My skin has improved an immense amount in such a small time. It's much softer, and the tone is a lot more even. I'm not aaaassss upset when I look at my skin in public mirrors.. but then again overhead fluorescent lighting doesn't do anyone favours.

I saw your pics where you're holding the baby @dolphin, and you have such nice skin! I'm guessing you don't eat too much sugar or get much sun either? I'm not taking any sugar in my coffee anymore and I've cut back on chocolate... coupled with sun protection, I think it's going to make a big difference soon .

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Right now I've been trying to use up my tinted moisturizer. The summers are way too humid where I live, and we're having a heat stroke, so walking outside is basically like walking into a sauna. You start sweating immediately (and this is coming from someone who rarely sweats from the heat). I have really oily skin, so regular liquid foundations are basically a HELL NO... unless of course, I want to look like a cakey, greasy mess. I do liquid foundations during the winter, when the air is dryer.

Recently, I've been using bare minerals with a philosophy primer. I really love it for this kind of weather! Mineral makeup with a good primer never looks greasy, cakey, or heavy on me and it rarely melts off. It also has a very natural finish and it doesn't make you feel like you have a bunch of crap on your face. I've basically been using either mineral makeup, tinted moisturizer or BB creams on my clients. I don't want their face to melting off, either.

I know the pains of having oily skin, especially during these humid summers. I'm always blotting, even if I'm not wearing makeup. One thing that does help with oil production is taking a vitamin A every day. The good side to having oily skin is that you generally won't age as fast, provided you wear a good SPF on your face at all times. People still think I'm 19.
    Oh god, I can only imagine how South Carolina weather is going to be. Here, there's almost zero humidity and it hardly ever gets past 85 so I'm really spoiled. I think I need to ditch this liquid makeup and find something that will hold up in the humidity ASAP. And I need to get A/C in my car lol. But yeah, my skin is insanely oily--I could go through almost half a pack of those oil blotting sheets a day if it's hot out. But like you said, people always think I'm a lot younger than I am, I still don't have any wrinkles (knock on wood) so maybe there is something positive about oily skin.

IMO, staying away from Smoking is one of the biggest things followed by the sun but I'll take a wrinkle or two when it comes to sunlight--I need it. I just wouldn't advise going to the beach everyday or tanning a ton. Right now, I've already started with the preventative measures to treat wrinkles...why wait til you see them?

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

See octo, I can't do oil. Some people's skin seems to love it. Some people swear by it. Some people even use oil cleansing method, etc. But if my skin simply LOOKS at oil, it breaks out. So I keep all my products oil free.

I use Coastal Scents african black soap, a cleanser which doubles as a makeup remover. Apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a toner. Cerave lotion which is oil free.

I change it up with masks, BP, and exfoliating products, but those are my staples and I recommend them to anyone with sensitive, acne prone skin.
    I also have sensitive, acne-prone skin. But it's cleared up about 75% in the past 2 months thanks to a few products. I realized that I had to give up completely on benzoyl peroxide, after years of struggling with it, because it was far too irritating. So, I'm currently using Clinique moisturizing gel (for combo/oily skin) and salicylic acid cleanser and treatment. I wear makeup about once a week, so I remove my makeup with Philosophy Purity Made Simple and the Clarisonic brush (which also gives me that weekly exfoliation). I also do a sulfur mask about once a week. It's also a good idea to change/wash your pillow cases at least once a week.

And... I have no experience with BB Cream. I just do really light foundation coverage with a damp sponge.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

lol@girls

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    lol@girls
    ewwwwwww @ boyzzz

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    ewwwwwww @ boyzzz

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

boys are gross but we still love em

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish dudes had makeup...it seems like such a cool thing. I wouldn't use much.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    It can be..but then it gets to be a personal necessity where if you didn't have it, it'd feel like you're naked...and would you like girls judging your looks that much? lol

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diam0nd, where are you at location wise? If you were able to order makeup off the internet I'd say putter around the various mineral makeup sites and get some samples. I wear a foundation from Meow Cosmetics that's a fairly good match, they have a lot of shades to choose from. But if you're happy with what you have more power to you.

Although I think it's important to take care of one's body and not subject it to undue stressors, I don't believe that being healthy is the golden ticket to great skin. It is very frustrating to be doing all the "right" things and to still be breaking out constantly. It is not necessarily something you can control completely (but there are things you can do to make it better). Even during the times my skin was very bad, people tended not to notice because I was good at makeup. My skin is breaking out and peeling in those pictures, but you cannot see it due to the lighting and makeup.

People with good skin seem like they often take it for granted. They smoke, sleep in their makeup, have a horrible diet, etc. and their skin still looks great. But if I had skin that was impervious to the elements, would I do all those sinful things? Of course I would! What's life without a little sun and chocolate? But everything in moderation, unless you're Hunter S. Thompson.
    So true, I wish it was the golden ticket.

Location wise I'm in sunny Niteroi, brazil.. where a tribe of pygmy marmosettes run around on the telephone wires disconnecting me from the internet

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    actually very heterosexual men in Korea use BB cream as well. The very handsome guys with the flawless skin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I'm interested!
    Me 2!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as long as I keep feeding it rose hip oil it seems pretty happy.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll go out and look for some first chance i get!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    BB cream can be used as a makeup base or foundation (light coverage). I have read somewhere that we would still need to use a moisturizer before applying BB cream, so I guess this is the difference between it and the tinted moisturizer. Anyway, I have been using it for a couple of years and I like how it feels light and looks natural on my face without appearing like I have applied makeup.

I'm currently using ETUDE HOUSE Precious Mineral BB cream (Sheer Silky Skin) which is suitable for oily skin, and I have just bought BB cream from Hanskin as I have read from reviews that Hanskin is very well-known for its range of BB cream and a lot of ladies in Korea swear by it. As for the technique of applying BB cream, unlike normal liquid foundation where you would usually dab it with a sponge and spread the foundation evenly on your face, you need to dot your face with spots of BB cream and pat it evenly throughout your face so that there is a smooth and even coverage.
    I have also heard rave reviews of Hanskin BB cream... after I try the ones I already have, I will have to sample that one!

Oh and thanks for the application tips!

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have some tinted moisturizer.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this internet age, you could all just look up the ingredients you like, order it from the wholesaler or manufacturer, and mix this stuff up yourself. (So says me.)

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So our do it yourself instinct would get the better of us? LOL

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, on second thought, you could mix up 200 bottles and start selling them on Esty!

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww thank you! Quick dry top coat changed my polish habits! Seche Vite or Poshe are the fastest, but they chip quickly - Sally Hansen Insta-dri is very long-wearing but takes a bit longer to dry. Clean-up with acetone and a brush is also really useful, tutorial here.

I have very strong nails so I'm not really the person to ask when it comes to brittle and damaged nails, but I've found that the only time my nails start peeling and flaking is when I peel off my nail polish instead of wiping it off with acetone.
    What about Essie top coat? How does it compare to the above?

TIM
    IXI sx/so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot dam, this thread blew up while I was on vacation.

Coincidentally just brought home my first tube the other night. That awkward moment where the shade picked out by a professional is several shades too dark. orz I'm considering seeing how it measures up against a full coverage look and wearing it to work so I can look pretty without burning through cash spent on primer, foundation and powder as well as worrying about breaking out more often. I'll let you know once I've gotten a feel for it. I'm using Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm.
    Probably ILI, or IE I/EIE/EII. PM me if you have ideas about my type! Ennagram 2w3 7w8 1w9.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

so guys can use this right?

are the Garnier commercials true?

please helppppppppp i want to be beautiful

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried BB cream but found I didn't like it. I generally don't like pigmented products. I'm not big for
    concealer or powder or any of that jazz. But then I've been blessed with good skin. I tried it because
    I had read/heard really good things about it.

My routine consists of washing my face with cetaphil and my clarisonic and moisturizing twice a day.
    Right now I'm using this horrible moisturizer that is actually my boyfriend's. I'm only using it to use it
    all up. Lord knows he never moisturizes. Though I try to encourage him. When I wear eye makeup
    I use clinique's eye makeup remover. I also found that when I started drinking more water my skin
    is much better. Once a week I will exfoliate with this clarins exfoliator I have. I can't remember what
    it's called but it's made from oranges and smells like Florida.

I found BB cream unnecessary though I am sure it is a good product for those that have different
    skin than I.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so guys can use this right?

are the Garnier commercials true?

please helppppppppp i want to be beautiful
    I know you're just trolling, but yes. Men can use BB cream as well.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it amazing? Is it glorified tinted moisturizer? I'm looking at reviews on Makeupalley, and it must be popular because I've never seen a BB cream section there before. It was talked about a bit in the Cassandra Bankson thread but I thought it needed its own discussion. Thoughts?
    Is it good for jerking off? Can I use it as a lube?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Is it good for jerking off? Can I use it as a lube?
    If you want to dye your dick go for it.

Just let your partner know what you've been up to
    before oral sex. It's only polite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast