Thread: Having to pick a team to support in order to be able to watch a game

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Having to pick a team to support in order to be able to watch a game

....is it type-related?

Like with the World Cup...can't get into the game unless decides to support one of the 2 teams playing, even if arbitrarily.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that goes without saying for me. If I'm going to do anything, it has to be because I believe in it. But what I meant was that it goes as far as having to do that for each game, if it doesn't involve my team.

For instance, today's game England vs. Germany. I don't support either team overall. My teams are (were ) Italy and USA. But in order to watch the game today I had to pick either England or Germany, even if just for the duration of this game, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get into it enough to watch it.

Might just have to do with not being an avid football fan for the sake of football. I only watch it for the sake of being passionate about a team, not the game itself.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it's actually more enjoyable to spectate from a perspective not favoring either team. It's like studying historic wars, but without having to review the postwar devastation. That being said, I'm generally not a fan of spectating sports where Team A competes with Team B simultaneously on the same field.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always partial no matter which teams are playing. I favour underdog teams very often because the traditional strong teams (e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Italy in the World Cup) tend to appear arrogant and haughty in my opinion. (Maybe because of valued Fi?) I also like "surprises", meaning match results which nobody would have believed before, but I think many people do so.

PS: great match England vs. Germany! That's how football ought to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    But in order to watch the game today I had to pick either England or Germany, even if just for the duration of this game, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get into it enough to watch it.
    Which one did you choose?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Edit: when Ti wins, it's unique, when Te wins is yet another won game.
    , so it's like: Ti rarely wins, Ti probably won just once because unique things happen just once; and Te won more than once. Te>Ti in number of wins

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plynex View Post
    Which one did you choose?
    England

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England
    I'm deeply sorry for you.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexico vs Argentina. I like Argentina because they have Maradona as a coach and they wear blue. I like blue.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    Mexico vs Argentina. I like Argentina because they have Maradona as a coach and they wear blue. I like blue.
    This is precisely why I'm anti-Argentina. But yeah, I like blue too.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, uhm, weird. I never do that. Actually, I try to remain detached even when a team I actually support is playing. Even better: I like to find as many flaws as possible in both team's style of play.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Cyclops

Sometimes i'll put a bet on a team, this therefore gives me an incentive to watch it. I'll only do it for bigger games and only a few pounds as I'm not keen on gambing per se.

Like I bet just a few quid on a 2 - 0 between Mexico and France, but at odds of 18-1, it was a good payout.

So the wager keeps me interested and determines the team I want to do well.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Oh, uhm, weird. I never do that. Actually, I try to remain detached even when a team I actually support is playing. Even better: I like to find as many flaws as possible in both team's style of play.
    I wonder if this has to do with T vs. F. I'd even go as far as to say Te vs. Fe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Sometimes i'll put a bet on a team, this therefore gives me an incentive to watch it. I'll only do it for bigger games and only a few pounds as I'm not keen on gambing per se.

Like I bet just a few quid on a 2 - 0 between Mexico and France, but at odds of 18-1, it was a good payout.

So the wager keeps me interested and determines the team I want to do well.
    I don't need money to motivate me. I have passion.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't need money to motivate me. I have passion.
    Good answer.
    Well, it's not just about being partial in a match, it's also the cheering which is definitely type related. While my brother is often screaming "fan paroles" and is actually talking to the players in the TV () I prefer to keep quiet and only utter some sounds as if I would watch fireworks exploding if there is an interesting situation in the game.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I tend to root for individuals more than teams. Wonder what that means.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really watch sports because I mostly find it boring. However, when I have watched something like a basketball game I can generally generate interest by noticing a player or two that I seem to like for some reason, or some sort of association between people that I think there might be more to. Then generally I'll just want the team of the people I'm curious about to win (though the majority of interest will be centered on one particular person). There might be something about the nature of the team as a whole as well as to why I seem to like it better than the other one, but it's not really obvious to me what subtle overall feel contributed to my liking the one team more than the other. Anyway all of this can generally generate enough interest to watch the entire game. It doesn't really work with other sports though like (American) football or golf or whatever (or things that seem to drag on forever). So I guess it's being interested or curious about a person or people that is the main thing, but still I have to pick a team to seal the interest because it provides a purpose in watching the game or something (an interest in knowing the outcome). Probably this could lead to having a "favorite team" if I actually watched a lot of games, but I really don't have any interest in doing so and only ever watch if I'm bored, have happened to turn the TV on, and there happens to be nothing on that is interesting to me and for some reason I've flipped to a channel with a basketball game on it and can't seem to shut it off. This sequence of things happens very rarely.