Thread: Words used in self-descriptions by various types

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Words used in self-descriptions by various types

In facebook profiles, online dating profiles, etc...let's talk about words used in self-descriptions.

I'm seeing some patterns of certain types using certain words when describing themselves.

What words do you use in your own self-descriptions? And which have you noticed other types using?

This is what I've noticed:

Extroverts usually write twice (or three times) as much as introverts, though not always. But usually.

ISTP
    good with hands
    adventurous
    independent
    laid back
    easy going
    like the simple things in life
    up for anything
    why not?
    relaxing
    new experiences
    driven/ambitous

ESTP
    adventurous
    aggressive
    like the finer things in life
    sales
    nightlife
    driven/ambitous
    marketing
    extreme

ENFP
    creative
    inspiring
    contradiction
    the arts
    writing/acting
    potential

INFP
    creative
    unique
    the arts
    writing/acting
    goofy
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, quite amusing! I've seen it myself. Sometimes INFps can be really interesting, but I think the immature/not very intelligent ones can definitely compose huge novels of crap.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and come to think of it, ENFps are guilty of the same thing, though with less thoughtful word choice.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In online dating profiles I try to avoid listing words, and instead write in a style that will make people feel who I am. Then they can make their own conclusions. I also try to be a little mysterious and contradictive in order to make it more interesting. I also like to provide links to music etc. to make it fun and to avoid making the profile too self centered. But I might use words as nice, flexible, open minded, easy to get along with, hard to get to know. I have doubts about my creativity so I never use that word. Besides, it has become a cliché so it's good to avoid it anyway. I never say that I have a sense of humor. Instead I try to write something funny.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...or the really smart IEIs can compose huge novels of not-crap...

But seriously, yes, IEIs, myself especially, do tend to use lots and lots of words to explain ourselves, because of the indirect style of our communication. IEIs tend to be more "poetic" in speech in the sense that we communicate not only through the literal denotation of words but are more alive to connotation and implication and using those sorts of things to get our point across, which leads not only to using more words but to effectively stating the same literal meaning multiple times with different connotations. Oh, and it also has to do with the fact that we live in a very internal world of our own thoughts and speculations, so we don't trust words 100% to convey that internal world to people who are external to ourselves, both our own verbal abilities and the possibility of conveying our inner worlds at all (at least through ordinary speech---that's what art is for!). It's also because IEIs sort of dread literal meanings, because if everything is literal, it's boring. I will not consent to the existence of facts without secrets.

And um... felafel, yes I am aware that I tend to talk a lot, both on the forum and in real life. Thanks for pointing that out.

Let's see... as to the actual question. Yes, IEIs are probably likely to refer to ourselves as artistic, poetic, creative, unique, all that. When describing myself I would probably refer to myself as artistic, musical, talented, thoughtful, reflective, self-interested as in interested in myself (not as in interested *only* in myself), as a student of things (life, the world, and everything).

SLEs would probably not refer to themselves as silly, goofy, comical, etc., although their friends might (SLEs, like IEIs, at base, take themselves rather seriously, even though we both pretend to not take ourselves seriously at all, IEIs moreso than SLEs). They might refer to themselves as "fun" "adventurous" "fun-seeking" maybe even "intense" "focused" "driven" "ambitious"

I think IEEs would also describe themselves as "fun" "fun-seeking" maybe also something like "life-enjoying" "joyful" "upbeat" "positive" "risk-taker" perhaps.

SEEs would probably describe themselves as "attractive" "cool" "likable" "friendly" "interesting" "sociable" "suave" "looking to have a good time" (and no, not like that... well, also like that...)

ILIs might describe themselves as "bookish" "intelligent" "unemotional" "clever" "witty" "bright" "analytical" maybe slightly "awkward" or "misunderstood" but the best adjective for female ILIs is "Daria-like"

LIIs may say they're "logical" "nerdy" "likes to tell jokes" they'd probably mention some of their interests, which are likely to include comic books, Lord of the Rings, sci-fi/fantasy novels and TV series, and so on (this is a stereotype, but a true one; stuff like this is often made by and marketed to alpha NTs). They might describe themselves as "curious" and mention that they "like learning" and "like knowledge"

LSEs might say they're "factual" "punctual" maybe "ambitious" "detail-oriented" "logical" focused on what "makes sense" "efficient" "neat" "organized" "meticulous" but might also describe themselves (more likely if dualized) as "principled" and even "fun".

EIIs would probably describe themselves as "principled" "friendly" "dutiful" "honest" "kind" "decent" "moral" "relationship-oriented" perhaps "good listener" "people-oriented" maybe also "creative" "artistic" "aesthetic" "likes to make things look nice"

SEI would say they're "funny" "easy-going" "nice" "chill" "happy" "positive" "upbeat" perhaps "eager" "thoughtful"
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    SEI would say they're "funny" "easy-going" "nice" "chill" "happy" "positive" "upbeat" perhaps "eager" "thoughtful"
    I kind of agree with these words, but I'm not sure if SEIs generally will say that they are "nice" and "funny". We are too humble for that. Also, for many SEIs being "chill" is such a natural state that they don't even mention it.

I think many SEIs have a hard time describing themselves with words. Instead they talk about what they like to do.

oh well, I don't know...

By the way, I've dated an IEI online. (I know her type because we met several times). This is what she wrote about herself (my translation):

"social, understanding, friendly, nowadays much calmer than before, my outlook on life is very humanistic and I can say, that I am very people loving and I strive to build my life so there will be a place in it for other people"

Kind of unrelated, but still:
    When we met on our first date (in a museum), I started to ask her about what she is doing and bla bla. She was like "let's not ask questions, let's just look at the exhibition together as strangers and later we can get to know each other."
    That's a very IEI thing to say, I think.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I kind of agree with these words, but I'm not sure if SEIs generally will say that they are "nice" and "funny". We are too humble for that. Also, for many SEIs being "chill" is such a natural state that they don't even mention it.
    Good point. Those are more descriptors that I would give to an SEI more than ones they would choose for themselves. Interestingly, I think an EIE, for instance, would describe him/herself as funny, and I bet an EII would describe him/herself as "nice".

"social, understanding, friendly, nowadays much calmer than before, my outlook on life is very humanistic and I can say, that I am very people loving and I strive to build my life so there will be a place in it for other people"
    Yeah. I think IEI descriptions will often have to do with what they are sort of trying to improve about themselves, their recent achievements/changes in self-development, like that bit about "much calmer than before" and "build my life so there will be a place in it for other people."
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-male

I think many SEIs have a hard time describing themselves with words. Instead they talk about what they like to do.
    This, on both accounts.

In describing myself, I'd tend to use things other people have described me with (actually, I believe my only sources are my mother, an EII, and Isha, who is some sort of Alpha NT; Ne DS ftw?) Though, I tried to write a profile for a dating site, and I just couldn't. It's like... "Who am I You should find out and then tell me!"

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This, on both accounts.

In describing myself, I'd tend to use things other people have described me with "Who am I You should find out and then tell me!"
    That was good. You can write this in your dating profile It will be original and easy going, maybe you'll attract a dual

Creepy-

I like the descriptions here -- I think both jewels and silverchris especially have made good observations...

Alpha NTs seem to be pretty short and sweet w their profiles, with only one or two sentences. One ILE friend's "about me" section says simply, "What about me?"

I've noticed SLIs' profiles tend to be short... one of my SLI friends has something like, "Music is what keeps me going." Another has a joke as his bio. And another has a half-serious one-sentence self-description in hers.

An IEE I know has a medium-length self-description up, which is pretty down-to-Earth but also witty. As for myself, the only real profile I have up online is my facebook one, but I don't have a bio of myself written or anything. Instead, I have an ever-changing list of favorite quotes, which looks like this atm:

Quote Originally Posted by my FB profile
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -- Mark Twain

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -- Scott Adams

It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more 'manhood' to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind. -- Alex Karras

If there were no rewards to reap / No embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here / I certainly would've walked away by now. -- Tool

Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future." -- Oscar Wilde

I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. -- G.K. Chesterton

One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure. -- William Feather

Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. -- Robert Fulghum

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

What on earth am I doing inside on this beautiful day? This is the only life I've got to live! -- Calvin, to Hobbes

Creepy-male

That was good. You can write this in your dating profile It will be original and easy going, maybe you'll attract a dual
    Oho, true. Nice scheme

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    LIIs may say they're "logical" "nerdy" "likes to tell jokes" they'd probably mention some of their interests, which are likely to include comic books, Lord of the Rings, sci-fi/fantasy novels and TV series, and so on (this is a stereotype, but a true one; stuff like this is often made by and marketed to alpha NTs). They might describe themselves as "curious" and mention that they "like learning" and "like knowledge"
    I feel the nerd stereotype is growing a tad outdated. The above description is for my dad's generation, not mine. It isn't possible to conceive of the modern dating-aged nerd without mentioning computers.

Creepy-Cyclops

Everyone is trying to sell themselves on dating sites, so idk, but yeah could be some truth in it.

Dating sites haven't ever been my gig, although I know people it has worked for. I joined up once out of boredom, as the place I was working was shutting down and it gave me something to do on internet for a couple of months. I basically, can't remember exactly, but when it asked me to describe myself I wrote, "just an ordinary guy". I suppose I never took it seriously enough and at that time I noticed everyone making themselves look 'great'. Actually, maybe re first paragraph, maybe it's changed more now, not really so sure though based on what i've heard from some others.

Eh, re earlier convo, yeah, I do agree with INFp's talking a lot, at least on internet, they always seem to try to make themselves sound reasonable all the time. In contrast, (maybe not internet dating related, but possibly), take for example, a bit of a caricature but it still sums it up: Most gay people are left handed. INTp would go, most left handed people are gay, you are left handed, therefore you = gay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting stuff everyone!

SoapofSaphire, wow those are great quotes! I have a similar list on my facebook. Those really resonated w/ me though.

I agree on the SEI thing and not really "complimenting" themselves. They'll say they are laid back and like fun, etc. It's one thing I like about SEIs, that they really don't go on about how great they are, when they are!

I also notice SLIs are similar and don't really "self promote" that much.