Thread: Food question

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Food question

If you get mild to moderate food poisoning once from a certain type of food dish, do you ever eat that same type of recipe again or do you avoid it for the rest of your life? And do you think this is related to somehow?

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default there's no sick like mushroom sick

Ate salmon and chocolate milk when my age was in the single-digits. Barfed violently. Didn't eat salmon again until I was the one who cooked it, years later. Loved it ever since. No Pacific salmon after nuke plant meltdowns.

Ate a large cooked portabello mushroom in late teens at bro's house. Once I got back to home base, it hit. Cold sweats, the shakes, kneeled in front of the crapper and violently vomitted. I felt the chunks rip through my throat. Same deal, didn't have any more until I cooked them myself. I throw out slimy mushrooms. Good ones go on pizza sometimes.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I avoid it for some time after. Once it was a lot of seafood processed items in a foreign country. I avoided it but I also avoided everything else but fruit and juice for a while since my stomach got rekt. Another time it was mint chocolate chip ice cream from near home my favourite. I think I avoided that specific flavour for a year or two afterwards but ate it again after that. In both of these scenarios I had to go to the hospital.

It's probably related to but idk how.

edit: Reading woof's title, I remember one more time in highschool involving mushroom soup coming back up after gym class. To this day I am suspicious of cheap mushroom soup but would eat it.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ehh, the only case I can think of was when Cold Stone's ice cream led me to being sick two separate occasions, and after seeing how unsanitary the place was with cross-contamination of containers... I couldn't bother eating there again.

Actually I will eat there again probably.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ty for the replies. I remember about two or three years ago eating a processed frozen pizza and it made me violently ill for three days (had to go to the hospital as well). I still haven't touched the crap since. Before that they never made me sick tho but this one did. Now I try to eat healthier.

And just recently two weeks ago I got food poisoning from this white trash diner club place that doesn't accept debit cards. So I won't get a hamburger from there again. I should stop going there, the only thing they know how to do right is certain breakfast dishes. They can't even make a proper veggie pita.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"doesn't accept debit" ಠ_ಠ

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had pumpkin pie about a year ago and it made my stomach come to life and want to murder me from the inside, I think.

To this day, I am disgusted by anything pumpkin-flavoured or at the very least suspicious of it. But no pumpkin pie has gone anywhere near my lips ever since that happened.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hah,,,I once ate "soft-shelled crab" sushi before boarding a lonnnnng plane trip (from honolulu to Dallas). After boarding the plane, I had the worst heartburn I'd ever had in my life. It felt like my stomach acid was burning a hole through bottom of my throat. My hands and feet and face puffed up and I started itching like crazy all over. I was tired and tried to just sleep it off. Suffice to say, I didn't realize there was something wrong until about halfway through the flight and I asked the person next to me if they were feeling the same thing. She told me it was "allergies", lol. I guess I never had one of those before. I later found out my throat could have collapsed and I could have suffocated without an epi-pen.

So yeah, I kind of avoid seafood in general now....I never really liked it that much to begin with, though Alaskan snow crab is pretty good with butter.
    good bye

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Ate salmon and chocolate milk when my age was in the single-digits. Barfed violently. Didn't eat salmon again until I was the one who cooked it, years later. Loved it ever since. No Pacific salmon after nuke plant meltdowns.

Ate a large cooked portabello mushroom in late teens at bro's house. Once I got back to home base, it hit. Cold sweats, the shakes, kneeled in front of the crapper and violently vomitted. I felt the chunks rip through my throat. Same deal, didn't have any more until I cooked them myself. I throw out slimy mushrooms. Good ones go on pizza sometimes.

Why do your posts talk about the craziest shit but still sound like a news article

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starrangel View Post
    If you get mild to moderate food poisoning once from a certain type of food dish, do you ever eat that same type of recipe again or do you avoid it for the rest of your life? And do you think this is related to somehow?
    Like what... why would you repeat eating something that hurts you. That's some masochistic type of business going on I wouldn't care if it's mild or moderate, food poisoning is food poisoning and it happens for a reason in the body. Who knows how the reaction is next time I eat it

As for the elements:

would assess how you push things to the limit in this case?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For a while, when I ate walnuts, I would have an allergic reaction where my throat would start closing (anaphylaxis). All it took was one walnut and I’d feel like I was choking to death, but the reaction was proportional to the number of walnut halves I ate. I could eat half a walnut and I’d be fine. One walnut and my throat would become irritated and would start to close. One and a half walnuts and the reaction would start to be severe enough for me to know that eating more would be a seriously dangerous thing to do.

Still, there was something about walnuts that I liked. Something in them that some other part of my body found beneficial. I therefore continued to eat them in small quantities and eventually my allergic reaction reduced in intensity. I can now eat a handful of walnuts before I get a warning reaction.

On the other hand, when I was a very small child, I ate some bad corned beef. I don’t remember my reaction to it at the time, but for years after that, just the smell of corned beef made me want to vomit violently.
    In college, I had some roommates who loved the stuff and encouraged me to have some. After some back and forth banter about our respective eating habits, I tried some and was amazed that, far from being vomit-inducing, it was actually pretty good.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@aster, carrots can be tricky. They are hard to digest and absorb a ton of water in your stomach and expand. I had the same problem once or twice before I discovered this. Now, I just don’t eat too many of them.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I can figure out/speculate about with some degree of certainty what predicts the food poisoning, for example, the place that I got it from being lax in their health standards or the preparer having the bad habit of sneezing with their mouth uncovered, I will eat it again if I can avoid whatever caused it.

^a couple of months ago i went to a kebap place and saw the guy spraying the window glass clean right next to the meat. i almost went up to him but held back and told myself i just won't go there again.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only type of food I have ever abandoned due to repeated negative reactions is protein shakes. Something about whey I guess.

Otherwise no. Why would I abandon a type of food forever without double checking? Restaurants are different since food poisoning could be attributed to sanitation concerns.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd avoid it for a few weeks or months at most, after that it wouldn't affect me.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever had confirmed food poisoning, though twice in the last six months or so I've vomited for seemingly no reason, thought I was coming down with the flu, then felt better within a few hours and fine the next day. This actually just happened to me two days ago. The only thing I can think of that might have caused it was that I dropped a very ripe, peeled banana on the floor, rinsed it off kinda, then continued to eat it. Or that I've been taking apple cider vinegar and cayenne the last few days and that could be irritating. And I had a zinc supplement on an almost empty stomach. But I vomited violently like 8 times. Barely made it to work, felt like shit at work a few hours then was fine the rest of the day. I hesitated before eating another banana from the same bunch today but then ate it anyway. I'm going to stop eating things that fall on the floor though I think lol. My immune system clearly isn't what it used to be. Still taking the vinegar and cayenne too. I'm having some weird cystic acne I've never had before and I don't want to go on antibiotics if I can help it.

Also I seem to be mildly allergic to watermelon and avocodos, two of my favorite foods. I still eat them on the regular. They just make my throat itchy. I usually either forget about this or assume it isn't going to happen this time before eating it, but it always happens. Except Taco Bell's Guacamole doesn't make my throat itchy but Chipotle's does. Love Taco Bell but that shit is hella processed according to my throat lol

Back to the main point, I don't think I would be able to identify what was giving me food poisoning even if I had it. I pay little attention to what I eat for the most part and unless it happened immediately how would I even know? And if something did give me food poisoning I would probably assume it was whoever cooked its fault and not the food itself. So maybe I would avoid food from that person/establishment, but never the food itself.
    7w6 9w1 2w3 sx/? RLUAI(rl|U|ai)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I avoid it for some time, like 1 year, then im okay again.

Only exception, sangria, i got drunk the first time with that shit, and to date i cant drink It again (after 15 years)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've never gotten sick due to food and I'm fairly relaxed with my habits like how long to hold onto leftovers and stuff because I've never run into issues with anything. Maybe I've built up a stronk constitution.

I once bought a sandwich from a convenience store and ate about half of it even though it tasted funny because I was starving (hence eating a convenience store sandwich). Eventually I was like "what is in this thing? It really tastes bad!" and opened it and found it full of mold, lol. I called the store and told them, and never bought food from there again.