View Poll Results: How much sleep do you need?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I need 5 hours or less.

4 9.52%
  • I need 6-7 hours

7 16.67%
  • I need 8 or more

22 52.38%
  • I never keep track/don't care/it varies

9 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much sleep do you need?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much sleep do you need?

Vote. And state your type.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No less than about 7, though 8-9 leaves me feeling more well rested and all around more positive and active
    I envy people who can function normally on little sleep :frown:
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need at least 9 hours.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been so long since I've gotten enough, I don't even know. I think at least 8 hours though.

ETA: I'm IEE.
    Last edited by Slacker; 05-12-2010 at 06:59 PM.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE Ti "Mad Scientist"

Work day: 6-7 hours
    Weekend: 8-9 hours
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Creepy-bg

I voted for don't keep track, but it's usually somewhere between 8 to 16 hours at a time. then I'll be awake for 12 to 96 hours at a time

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around six hours, the world is too big to sleep more than that, at least for me.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once heard that some very young, dynamic and successful buisnessman/ executive had said that he doesn't understand it when people don't have enough time for sleep and spear time. It's so simple: 8 hours of work, 8 hours of spear time, and 8 hours of sleep. 8+8+8=24. What's so hard about that?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Activity phase: 3 to 6
    Recharge: 8 to 12

... and yes, I know it's bad.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 hrs, I exercise/play sports a lot, I need at least 7-8 to feel well-rested. I can't sleep more than 9 tho.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I need at least 7-8 to feel well-rested. I can't sleep more than 9 tho.
    I'm exactly the same.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to generally need at least 7-9 hours. So I guess I'll vote for the 8+ option.

Semi-related: I heard once that if you have insomnia and can't sleep, just quietly laying there gives you about 70% of the rest you need. I haven't verified it, though.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I sleep from 10pm to 2am wake up for an 10min and then go back to sleep to about 5:25am. I wish I had someone wonderful to walk with in the mornings; I love the morning air.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Semi-related: I heard once that if you have insomnia and can't sleep, just quietly laying there gives you about 70% of the rest you need. I haven't verified it, though.
    that's what I tell my kids to do when they can't sleep.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    it worked on me as a kid, heh.

Creepy-male

Like with BG, it varies. I need a lot of sleep, though. I think ten hours is a good number for me. Part of my thing is that I refuse to use alarm clocks.

IP temperament.

Also, having such a broken sleep pattern absolutely messes with your brain. It isn't a good thing at all.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's what I tell my older one too. LOL.

Creepy-male

Lying still does actually help you sleep. I've been practising with wake-induced lucid dreaming, and I have noticed that I start drifting off; whereas if I just toss and turn in bed it can take quite some time before I suddenly realise it's the morning

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can make do with 5 hours of sleep when I have to, but somewhere around 9-10 hours gives me the greatest degree of comfort and most helps me be creative.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Also, having such a broken sleep pattern absolutely messes with your brain. It isn't a good thing at all.
    Too true.

Lying still does actually help you sleep. I've been practising with wake-induced lucid dreaming, and I have noticed that I start drifting off; whereas if I just toss and turn in bed it can take quite some time before I suddenly realise it's the morning
    My experiences are similar. I also find that LD is very much dependent on sleeping patterns; the first time I managed to get one was when I slept regularly for about 8 hours a night. I was getting good at it, then went out of town for a few days with my friends - needless to say we slept little and there was no more lucid dreaming for me for a while.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize that was actually a thing. I always did think it was kind of weird that I could sort of start dreaming before I was all the way asleep.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't keep track. Here's the deal: if I'm active the whole time, I can just go forever and not sleep (I mean, obviously there's a limit to this, but I can power out 24-36 hours, although past 24 I get cranky), or do three to five hours a night or something like that. But after a certain point, if I don't have something to do, I immediately fall asleep, regardless of where I am.

I always did think it was kind of weird that I could sort of start dreaming before I was all the way asleep.
    I do that too! It's weird, right?

Also, Si-valuers are always telling me about how I need to sleep more. Grrr... *shakes fist*. I'm busy doing Se overachieving stuff, leave me alone with your petty concerns for how I'm destroying my body and such!
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I do that too! It's weird, right?
    If by weird you mean the most awesome thing in the world.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a few places that the healthiest hours per day of sleep was 7.5-8, which nowadays I stick to 8 hours with an alarm. I used to only get 4-6 hours a day all through high school but I actually need the sleep in college. Once this semesters over I'm going to switch to polyphasic sleep(1 Core Sleep period of 0-6 hours + 1-6 20 minute naps per day; gradual until 0 Core hours and 6 naps) , which'll give me 6 more hours of waking life per day.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I read a few places that the healthiest hours per day of sleep was 7.5-8, which nowadays I stick to 8 hours with an alarm. I used to only get 4-6 hours a day all through high school but I actually need the sleep in college. Once this semesters over I'm going to switch to polyphasic sleep(1 Core Sleep period of 0-6 hours + 1-6 20 minute naps per day; gradual until 0 Core hours and 6 naps) , which'll give me 6 more hours of waking life per day.
    For the sake of this thread finally getting derailed, I would like to point out that the only person I know who had a plan like that was LII, too. approach to -HA?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    For the sake of this thread finally getting derailed, I would like to point out that the only person I know who had a plan like that was LII, too. -HA?
    I must say, I find that strange! (I mean, the plan itself, not the fact that they're LII)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I generally get 8-9 hours of sleep. I can get by on less. I'm a rechargeable battery; the less sleep I get, the sooner I drop. My energy levels aren't effected; my endurance is.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Logical vegetable Existential Potato's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mm.. SLI and I never get as much as I want. Preferably I would have 10, but even then I think I could do with a 2 hour nap sometime in mid afternoon...

But meditation helps for when I want to go to sleep. Works every time

Oh, and if I ever get less than 8 hours, I doze off when if and when I get bored at any point in my day. I just can't help it

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can barely ever sleep for more than 6-7 hours at a time. I will eventually get back to sleep if I stay in bed long enough, so I like to get about 9 to 11 if I can. I can function just fine with anything over 4.
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm abnormal when it comes to sleeping schedules. If I could have things my way, I would not conform to the 9-5 work schedule. I would greatly prefer sleeping twice in a day with about 4 hours per session. INFj.

El Presidente de Mi Cabeza GallopingQwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the test where you pick three days in a row and go to bed at the same time to see when you get up without the aid of an alarm clock, and I apparently need 9 hours minimum.

This was also true when I was a kid, and then when I was a teenager. My mom always thought I was being lazy, but I've never felt well rested unless I got at least 9 hours.

And I'm not sure about that lying still theory, when I do that on nights I can't fall asleep I still feel totally wrecked in the morning regardless of how still I stay.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

No trees were destroyed in sending this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I am definitely a 7, and most likely an IEE. Stay tuned for further updates.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the sake of this thread finally getting derailed, I would like to point out that the only person I know who had a plan like that was LII, too. approach to -HA?
    Maybe, although I don't know if it's particularly healthy. Leonardo Da Vinci supposedly done it, and Kramer on Seinfield failed at it. Adapting to instantly falling asleep at nap time is the hardest part. The people who have succeeded for at least a month, claim the adaptation period takes from 1-2 weeks and is described as "getting hit by a bus over and over". But once that's over you can fall asleep a few seconds after you lay down. And you can remember a significant larger proportion of your dreams.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-bg

do you have any advice on how to not wake up from a lucid dream? I'm pretty solid on reality checks to make me realize that I'm in a dream, but have a problem with staying asleep after the realization. Vero helped me some by suggesting that I make the direction I take a lucid dream logical (don't try to just make Kate Moss appear out of nowhere and start fucking her in the butt, but make myself travel from where I am in the dream to Kate Moss's house to do it).

With the slipping into a lucid dream from awake thing my problem is that as soon as the dreams become "solid" in my minds eye I realize that I'm starting to dream and pop back awake on the realization.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having pulled two all nighters in a row, I don't know how to answer the OP .

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    they don't really exist though (esp. in the long-term), sleep is important for everyone...
    Oh I'm not talking long term, I mean people who can maybe go a night with little, to no sleep, and still be able to function through that; an LIE guy I used to go to school with was like this, you'd never know that he was up all night working on stuff
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have an extremely varied sleep schedule. sometimes i need 6hrs, sometimes i'll go days without sleep, other times i sleep for 12hrs straight. the only thing consistent is that i tend to wake up (if not already) around 2-4 am, sometimes i fall back asleep but other times i can't.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Activity phase: 3 to 6
    Recharge: 8 to 12

... and yes, I know it's bad.
    Same here. I might get a decent nights' sleep once, maybe twice a fortnight.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vote. And state your type.
    ...never talk to strangers, respect old people, say hello when you enter a room and don't eat and talk at the same time,

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I envy people who can function normally on little sleep :frown:
    They aren't: they r just destroying their mind and body, it's like asking for money, you get a lot of money first but then you have to restore the debt with an interest rate. In the long term, sleeping 8 hours per day is the wise thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I voted for don't keep track, but it's usually somewhere between 8 to 16 hours at a time. then I'll be awake for 12 to 96 hours at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I sleep from 10pm to 2am wake up for an 10min and then go back to sleep to about 5:25am. I wish I had someone wonderful to walk with in the mornings; I love the morning air.
    Not 5:24
    Not 5:26
    Tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-channel. One hint: the worst is yet to come

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    i have an extremely varied sleep schedule. sometimes i need 6hrs, sometimes i'll go days without sleep, other times i sleep for 12hrs straight. the only thing consistent is that i tend to wake up (if not already) around 2-4 am, sometimes i fall back asleep but other times i can't.
    You are Se-ESFp
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    Same here. I might get a decent nights' sleep once, maybe twice a fortnight.
    That's not exactly what I meant, I should have said "recharge phase". I become increasingly sleepy during waking hous, until I start sleeping 10-12 hours for a few days, then I tend to fall into regular 8-10 hours, but after a while I'm too rested to sleep and start staying up more again, until I reach ~3 hrs a night, and the cycle repeats - takes anywhere from two weeks to a month.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast