Thread: I fail at giving blood

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I fail at giving blood

Or at least I did today. They had like 7/8 of a pint before I failed, but I failed nonetheless. And since it isn't a full unit, they probably won't be able to do anything with it.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you manage to fail at having a needle stuck in you?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They had to stop early because I turned white and was blacking out.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low blood pressure for the win!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    They had to stop early because I turned white and was blacking out.
    That sounds paradoxical
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    Low blood pressure for the win!
    lol, yep

Normal for me is like 90/60. I always thought that was a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    That sounds paradoxical
    Yeah, it looked weird when I was typing it. I'm still feeling a little bit woozy and drowsy though so I didn't really care.
    SEE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90/60 is pretty low. I get woozy just thinking about giving blood.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the range is more like 60/90 to 110/70, but it's usually much closer to 90/60. It's not usually lower than that though. (One time it was 50/20 after a test they did... they wouldn't let me leave, lol.)
    SEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the range is more like 90/60 to 110/70, but it's usually much closer to 90/60.
    That's pretty much my average as well. I know I often feel sleepy and mellow as a consequence.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-

Wow, this is a very healthy bunch! Surprising, for a bunch of people who spend so much time at their computers [myself included]

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    That's pretty much my average as well. I know I often feel sleepy and mellow as a consequence.
    Huh, I hadn't considered that. I figured I just need more cardio exercise. Until recently I have been rather sedentary most days (starting like four years ago), and I blamed that. Oh yeah, and abusing my body in various other ways, including an improper diet, stimulant usage, a low quality and quantity of sleep, etc.

So uh... anyways... There are things in life we can control and things we can't, including factors influencing our level of energy and vitality. I'll stick to focusing on the things I can control.

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Wow, this is a very healthy bunch! Surprising, for a bunch of people who spend so much time at their computers [myself included]
    Low blood pressure indicates the absence of high blood pressure, but it doesn't mean a person's healthy.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
    - Robert Heinlein
    Such as?
    SEE

Creepy-

Low blood pressure indicates the absence of high blood pressure, but it doesn't mean a person's healthy.

Such as?
    True. I was assuming it went along with general athleticism, but maybe not for you. I hope you're healthy, though... how're you feeling, post-blackout?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. I was assuming it went along with general athleticism, but maybe not for you.
    Nah, mine's always been low. My mom's is the same way. Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps this is why I've fainted several times in the past? Both as a teenager and young adult? It hasn't happened for a few years though.

I hope you're healthy, though... how're you feeling, post-blackout?
    I felt pretty bad most of the day (nauseated, light headed, drowsy), but right now I just feel like it's a few hours later than it actually is. I'll probably go to bed early tonight.

Thanks for asking. (:
    SEE

Creepy-

I felt pretty bad most of the day (nauseated, light headed, drowsy), but right now I just feel like it's a few hours later than it actually is. I'll probably go to bed early tonight.

Thanks for asking. (:
    No problem... it sucks when you feel sick and like you can't control your own body, which is how I imagine that would feel. Sleep well!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem... it sucks when you feel sick and like you can't control your own body, which is how I imagine that would feel.
    Yeah, it's pretty surreal when you're interacting with people when you're like that. Two nurses rushed over to me and were putting my feet up, putting ice behind my neck, and trying to convince me to keep my eyes open and drink coke. I could hear and understand them, but it didn't feel like I was really there. It didn't feel like I was actually responding to them, even though I must have been, as I did drink that coke, lol.

Sleep well!
    thanks
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And when I looked over at Peter after the nurses walked away, he mouthed "baby" at me. Lol! <3
    SEE

Creepy-

And when I looked over at Peter after the nurses walked away, he mouthed "baby" at me. Lol! <3
    lol, what a guy

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He knows how to cheer me up. He knew I'd laugh and toughen up a bit from his having teased me about it.

If he was being cold or uncaring, he wouldn't have even gone with me in the first place (he can't donate again for like six weeks), and he wouldn't have seen to it that I got food and fluids and rest (even though I wouldn't stay laying down, lol) this afternoon.
    SEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So uh... anyways... There are things in life we can control and things we can't, including factors influencing our level of energy and vitality. I'll stick to focusing on the things I can control.
    In my case, it's a pure matter of willingness to do something, not the ability.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-

Yes, me too. I'm off to run a marathon now before bed... not because my body is ready for it, but because my mind is. See ya!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1, for me it's physical stuff mostly though. hubby laughs at the image of what i'd do to someone who messed with one of our kids. and try having a 10lb baby natural...

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    +1, for me it's physical stuff mostly though. hubby laughs at the image of what i'd do to someone who messed with one of our kids. and try having a 10lb baby natural...
    Yikes!

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to donate blood yet for a number of reasons, but I'm not sure I'll be able to at all because my dad's side of the family is popping up with haemochromatosis, too much iron.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have very low blood pressure too, and I'm tall which I think makes it worse. It's usually like your range Joy.
    When I was younger I used to have to be careful not to get up suddenly or I would pass out. I felt like a 90 year old lady.
    I really wish I could raise my blood pressure. I always feel like tired, and when I go into subways or churches or any other places with lots of people and not a lot of oxygen I almost always feel like I'm going to pass out.
    Oh my god, I just remembered, I must have run out of church like 40 times when I was kid because I would begin to get the passing out feeling and then everything would turn black and I wouldn't be able to see. I think my priest thought I was possessed.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    I haven't been able to donate blood yet for a number of reasons, but I'm not sure I'll be able to at all because my dad's side of the family is popping up with haemochromatosis, too much iron.
    Eek, that's a big deal; my doctor told me I was "close to" having that a long time ago, and of course I did a bunch of research on it which was alarming. Drink lots of high-tannin tea, and get plenty of calcium!!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine used to be like 140/100 or something, lol. Whitecoat syndrome and just being fat. I managed to get it down to 110/80.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I get woozy just thinking about giving blood.
    same

which makes me feel really bad because they need more blood donors here.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    I have very low blood pressure too, and I'm tall which I think makes it worse. It's usually like your range Joy.
    When I was younger I used to have to be careful not to get up suddenly or I would pass out. I felt like a 90 year old lady.
    I really wish I could raise my blood pressure. I always feel like tired, and when I go into subways or churches or any other places with lots of people and not a lot of oxygen I almost always feel like I'm going to pass out.
    Oh my god, I just remembered, I must have run out of church like 40 times when I was kid because I would begin to get the passing out feeling and then everything would turn black and I wouldn't be able to see.
    It didn't happen to me that often (I'm 5'0"), but it did happen at times. Standing up too suddenly or running up the stairs when I was a teenager did it.

I think my priest thought I was possessed.
    lol
    SEE

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, why give whole blood for free when you can sell plasma for $$$?

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually pretty good at giving blood. My blood pressure is a perfect 120/70, even when pregnant (I drink one coffee/day though, otherwise it's 110/60). My hemoglobin count is usually between 40 and 50 and my blood type is a desirable common 0+. And I love the chocolate that I get from there. Mmmmm... nutty Swiss chocolate... (yeah, I'm pretty cheap to buy blood from. ). I don't mind them taking a pint of blood, but I hate giving that one drop from my finger. That one hurts!

I've only had problems with hemoglobin level. It's sometimes been 35, when the minimum allowed for a donor is 40. I also don't give blood before I travel somewhere. I always assume that my immune system is gonna need all the help I can provide. It will be a while before I can give blood again.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh, I'm still pale and cold and a little lightheaded.

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Wait, why give whole blood for free when you can sell plasma for $$$?
    Plasma that you get money for is used to make cosmetics and shit, not for transfusions. Plus you have to go sit in a very crowded waiting room with very unpleasant people and wait for your turn. (Yes, we checked it out before going to The Blood Center yesterday. )
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I'm actually pretty good at giving blood. My blood pressure is a perfect 120/70, even when pregnant (I drink one coffee/day though, otherwise it's 110/60). My hemoglobin count is usually between 40 and 50 and my blood type is a desirable common 0+. And I love the chocolate that I get from there. Mmmmm... nutty Swiss chocolate... (yeah, I'm pretty cheap to buy blood from. ).
    That's cool. I wish I was better suited to be a donor. Maybe I'd do better just donating platelets or plasma or red cells or something.

I don't mind them taking a pint of blood, but I hate giving that one drop from my finger. That one hurts!
    Yeah, lol.

I've only had problems with hemoglobin level. It's sometimes been 35, when the minimum allowed for a donor is 40.
    Could you take an iron supplement?
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've given blood a few times and never had a problem with it. There was one time however, when I was about 12 or so... I had some allergic reaction to something and went to the hospital to get it checked out. They took some blood and when I was on my way out I hadn't even noticed getting light headed until I got to the door to leave. I ended up passing out and smashing my head into the bar to open the door. So, back into the hospital I went to get some ice put on my forehead. I woke up with a beautiful nurse in my face holding a cookie and some apple juice. I hadn't really known what happened at the time but I thought, "who hit me and why do i now have a bottle of applejuice and a cookie!?!" I remember actually asking the nurse if it was her that hit me and why she did it..lol.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel woozy just reading this thread. /c:
    Plasma that you get money for is used to make cosmetics and shit, not for transfusions. Plus you have to go sit in a very crowded waiting room with very unpleasant people and wait for your turn. (Yes, we checked it out before going to The Blood Center yesterday. )
    Who are the unpleasants?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Who are the unpleasants?
    People who are unpleasant to be around, of course.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Who are the unpleasants?
    Dirty, uneducated, possibly drug using, ghetto blacks, dirty Latinos, and gross rednecks. Very loud and unpleasant, typical Jerry Springer crowd.

I guess I'll be giving my valuable AB+ plasma for free and the place where humans go instead.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my husband gives blood pretty often. I have low blood pressure, bad veins (just hard to get the needle into) and tend to faint. when I was a teen, I used to faint fairly often in the shower. but usually I could feel it coming and sit down first. it was like all the blood would rush to my head and I knew I'd lose consciousness. weird.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    my husband gives blood pretty often. I have low blood pressure, bad veins (just hard to get the needle into) and tend to faint. when I was a teen, I used to faint fairly often in the shower. but usually I could feel it coming and sit down first. it was like all the blood would rush to my head and I knew I'd lose consciousness. weird.
    Weird... I wonder if that's why my toes go numb sometimes in the shower?
    SEE

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Dirty, uneducated, possibly drug using, ghetto blacks, dirty Latinos, and gross rednecks. Very loud and unpleasant, typical Jerry Springer crowd.

I guess I'll be giving my valuable AB+ plasma for free and the place where humans go instead.
    I thought "unpleasants" might include squeaky clean snobs - apparently not. :-p

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    People with epilepsy get this "glowing" feeling before they have a seizure. I figure it's kind of the same thing you may have been feeling in that case, like your body saying, "hey... something's wrong here, make yourself safe."

I had a seizure after a car wreck once and got to learn all the fun stuff about seizures in case it may have given me a form of epilepsy. There was one time where I felt a bit light headed while driving and pulled over just in case but that passed and I just went on a couple minutes later. Thankfully I don't have epilepsy... especially since I like to drive so much...lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast