Thread: Gamma, what emotions do you find most difficult to deal with?

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma, what emotions do you find most difficult to deal with?

Which emotions will make you shut down, and are you able to recognize them? Will the specific emotion make you certain you feel a different way than what you thought? Why is that emotion so difficult for you to recognize?

I think for me it is anger. That is the most difficult to spot. Mostly because it turns in to anxiety or apathy because I don't want it to cloud my judgment. And I'm a very chill person. I'll reject anger but I've had some blind rages that make me afraid of myself and for getting mad in the first place. (stuff like spraining my wrist and not realizing it, hitting my head on something out of frustration and accidentally giving myself a concussion and not realizing it) Though this doesn't really happen much to me, except for these rare instances! It is very hard for me to be angry.

I'm wondering if there are similar emotional patterns for gamma and how they deal/recognize them. Or if it is enneagram related.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Which emotions will make you shut down, and are you able to recognize them? Will the specific emotion make you certain you feel a different way than what you thought? Why is that emotion so difficult for you to recognize?

I think for me it is anger. That is the most difficult to spot. Mostly because it turns in to anxiety or apathy because I don't want it to cloud my judgment. And I'm a very chill person. I'll reject anger but I've had some blind rages that make me afraid of myself and for getting mad in the first place. (stuff like spraining my wrist and not realizing it, hitting my head on something out of frustration and accidentally giving myself a concussion and not realizing it) Though this doesn't really happen much to me, except for these rare instances! It is very hard for me to be angry.

I'm wondering if there are similar emotional patterns for gamma and how they deal/recognize them. Or if it is enneagram related.
    I don't know if this is enneagram related or not. For me, as an LIE-Te e8w7, I'm pretty comfortable with anger. It is my constant companion. I seem to have just two emotions; normal and angry. I do sometimes have trouble recognizing when I'm angry, which I attribute to buried Fi. I think I've mentioned here before that in the last days of my marriage, my wife was talking to me while I was washing the dishes, and I started smashing a Revereware pan in the ceramic sink. As I observed myself doing this, I thought, "Maybe I'm angry. This is what an angry person would do." However, I know an LIE-Te e3, and he seems to not get angry very much at all.

I will say that both he and I are similar in the sense that we are both afraid of rejection. We both try to do the best we can, and I think we do this because we both assume that we need to do this, otherwise people won't like us. We're both high achievers, but he is focused on his appearance and reputation and I am focused on taking care of and protecting the people I'm close to. He has no trouble letting people go if they can't benefit him in some way, and I have so much trouble letting people go that I don't easily let them get close in the first place.

I guess the emotions that make me shut down a bit are sadness from rejection or losing a person I care about, even if they simply move away.

As for emotions other than anger, what are they?

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I don't know if this is enneagram related or not. For me, as an LIE-Te e8w7, I'm pretty comfortable with anger. It is my constant companion. I seem to have just two emotions; normal and angry. I do sometimes have trouble recognizing when I'm angry, which I attribute to buried Fi. I think I've mentioned here before that in the last days of my marriage, my wife was talking to me while I was washing the dishes, and I started smashing a Revereware pan in the ceramic sink. As I observed myself doing this, I thought, "Maybe I'm angry. This is what an angry person would do." However, I know an LIE-Te e3, and he seems to not get angry very much at all.

I will say that both he and I are similar in the sense that we are both afraid of rejection. We both try to do the best we can, and I think we do this because we both assume that we need to do this, otherwise people won't like us. We're both high achievers, but he is focused on his appearance and reputation and I am focused on taking care of and protecting the people I'm close to. He has no trouble letting people go if they can't benefit him in some way, and I have so much trouble letting people go that I don't easily let them get close in the first place.

I guess the emotions that make me shut down a bit are sadness from rejection or losing a person I care about, even if they simply move away.

As for emotions other than anger, what are they?
    From what I observed in an LIE 3 personally is if someone else is upset or angry he will shut down because he will feel responsible for it happening and letting it get that far.

But this picture sums up how I get angry because I'm not sure how to express it in raw form. It is a weird calm anger. If I'm physically injured or emotionally hurt I don't even realize it.

190213-durarara_____09___large_25_super.jpg

Edit: I should note when I'm mad for some reason it is hilarious to other people. I mean if it wasn't me who was mad I'd probably laugh my ass off too at myself. There's a reason I have that silly crossplay.
    Last edited by Suzaku; 03-12-2017 at 04:34 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like anxiety, it seems to diminish a lot my coping skills. I'm not often anxious, but sometimes it happens when I don't have control over a situation, and I don't like because...many of my natural skills don't seem to work when I am unsure of myself.

Anger is fine for me. I'm not angry that often (I think somewhat rarely), but when I reach that point, it seems to mean that I really have to use anger - and it works.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Suzaku That's definitely related to enneagram one

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Resonare View Post
    @Suzaku That's definitely related to enneagram one
    I've been stuck trying to figure out if I'm 1 or 9 for the past few months

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't like anxiety, it seems to diminish a lot my coping skills. I'm not often anxious, but sometimes it happens when I don't have control over a situation, and I don't like because...many of my natural skills don't seem to work when I am unsure of myself.

Anger is fine for me. I'm not angry that often (I think somewhat rarely), but when I reach that point, it seems to mean that I really have to use anger - and it works.
    I can deal with anxiety and channel it constructively unless it gets to the point I'm overloaded by it. It is usually a sign I have to change something and shift mindset so I actively get the ball rolling in that regard. I just don't like how badly it messes up perception and ways to analyze a situation if it consumes you. I don't like having my judgment messed with.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Suzaku For an ESI, anger is perhaps the last straw; it comes after a long period of frustration with a situation, oneself and or others. ESI want things to happen according to a preconceived expectation so when they don't, ESI often physically lash out - just to vent the emotion stemming from a feeling of personal impotence. It seems to be an attempt to reset, or shock someone back to reality - usually themselves. After the eruption, the moralist regains control and there's usually regret, but also, oddly enough, more clarity.......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    @Suzaku For an ESI, anger is perhaps the last straw; it comes after a long period of frustration with a situation, oneself and or others. ESI want things to happen according to a preconceived expectation so when they don't, ESI often physically lash out - just to vent the emotion stemming from a feeling of personal impotence. It seems to be an attempt to reset, or shock someone back to reality - usually themselves. After the eruption, the moralist regains control and there's usually regret, but also, oddly enough, more clarity.......

a.k.a. I/O
    I don't really have preconceived notions for the most part and try my best not to have them, and if I think I might be having them I ask a lot of questions. Lots and lots of questions. So I'll do my best to understand something before I ever really get upset. I also like to see my ego an non-existent when I have to make a call or analyze a situation, because in the grand scheme of reality my ego is probably not important. Because I think most people are pawns in a society and are just trying to survive so I'll try and resort to kindness first, and realize most things aren't personal, we are pawns in a system trying to survive. I'm not very big on getting my way. I don't really have a desire to.

I think the only preconceived expectation I have is a desire for people to not be assholes.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't really have preconceived notions for the most part and try my best not to have them,.............
    I find it very hard to picture Ijs without preconceived expectations; I can see trying ones best to not have them but that's usually futile. I've met a fair number of XSIs who haven't analysed their own motivational forces; most XIIs usually do. Your apparent occasional anger (anxiety?) has to originate from some state of being; the best first step to solve a problem is to know its source......
    a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've been stuck trying to figure out if I'm 1 or 9 for the past few months
    I don't really have preconceived notions for the most part and try my best not to have them, and if I think I might be having them I ask a lot of questions. Lots and lots of questions. So I'll do my best to understand something before I ever really get upset. I also like to see my ego an non-existent when I have to make a call or analyze a situation, because in the grand scheme of reality my ego is probably not important. Because I think most people are pawns in a society and are just trying to survive so I'll try and resort to kindness first, and realize most things aren't personal, we are pawns in a system trying to survive. I'm not very big on getting my way. I don't really have a desire to.

I think the only preconceived expectation I have is a desire for people to not be assholes.
    From Helen Palmer's "The Enneagram in Love and Work":

The One's Worldview: The world is an imperfect place. I work toward perfection.

The Two's Worldview: People depend on my help. I am needed.

The Three's Worldview: The world values a champion. I must avoid failure.

The Four's Worldview: Something is missing. Others have it. I have been abandoned.

The Five's Worldview: The world is invasive. I need time to think and refuel my energies.

The Six's Worldview: The world is a threatening place. I question authority.

The Seven's Worldview: The world is full of opportunities and options. I look forward.

The Eight's Worldview: The world is an unjust place. I defend the innocent.

The Nine's Worldview: The world won't value my efforts. Stay comfortable. Keep the peace.

(I just meant to list Ones and Nines, but I got carried away.)

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it very hard to picture Ijs without preconceived expectations; I can see trying ones best to not have them but that's usually futile. I've met a fair number of XSIs who haven't analysed their own motivational forces; most XIIs usually do. Your apparent occasional anger (anxiety?) has to originate from some state of being; the best first step to solve a problem is to know its source......
    a.k.a. I/O
    I know why. I take care of myself. I do yoga and reiki regularly. I keep a journal too.

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    From Helen Palmer's "The Enneagram in Love and Work":

The One's Worldview: The world is an imperfect place. I work toward perfection.

The Two's Worldview: People depend on my help. I am needed.

The Three's Worldview: The world values a champion. I must avoid failure.

The Four's Worldview: Something is missing. Others have it. I have been abandoned.

The Five's Worldview: The world is invasive. I need time to think and refuel my energies.

The Six's Worldview: The world is a threatening place. I question authority.

The Seven's Worldview: The world is full of opportunities and options. I look forward.

The Eight's Worldview: The world is an unjust place. I defend the innocent.

The Nine's Worldview: The world won't value my efforts. Stay comfortable. Keep the peace.

(I just meant to list Ones and Nines, but I got carried away.)
    My world view THE WORLD IS SCREWED UP AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. Like I said, pawns in a system. But I realize I can't fix things out of my control.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know why. I take care of myself. I do yoga and reiki regularly. I keep a journal too.
    That sounds so EII.......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds so EII.......

a.k.a. I/O
    Yoga sounds so everything so many people do it who doesn't do yoga at some point.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which emotions will make you shut down, and are you able to recognize them?
    No emotion makes me "shut down" completely, but the one that has the most severe effect on me is without a doubt grief/loss. I don't have a problem with identifying my emotions. I just don't do it all the time, but if I wanted to I could easily do it.
    Last edited by Tonatiuh; 03-13-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Anger is too easy for me bcuz a lot of my other emotions get filtered thru/converted to anger. The feelings I have the hardest time facing head on and dealing with constructively are probably shame and invalidation.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    No emotion makes me "shut down" completely, but the one that has the most severe effect on me is without a doubt grief/loss. I don't have a problem with identifying my emotions. I just don't do it all the time, but if I wanted to I could easily do it.
    Grief/Loss yes, but what it is ... it isn't always people, or usually not. I had a lovely cat that died at the age of 2 years. Horrible for me. This was in 2012. He was the 2 year old. I can't get over it, it haunts me and plagues me often. Yes takes me out, pulls me down. But not all the time, yes, but not.

Books and Shows and things I like that go on but get canceled hit me hard the same. I feel emptied, ruined, can't go on.

But I learn to get back to life eventually.

From the outside it probably looks the same as my usual inertia though.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    Grief/Loss yes, but what it is ... it isn't always people, or usually not.

Books and Shows and things I like that go on but get canceled hit me hard the same. I feel emptied, ruined, can't go on.

But I learn to get back to life eventually.

From the outside it probably looks the same as my usual inertia though.
    Same.

TIM
    Gamma
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could be more Zen, but I actually enjoy anger. My anger isn't based in attacking others, it's in establishing clear boundaries with others. So it's not you need to do this this or this...........it's more like you better not do this this and this. I don't like telling others what to do, but have no problem in telling them what they better not do to me. I hate to be bullied or leveraged. Very pugnacious in power relationships, but passive and yielding in personal relationships. Don't have a lot of ego involved in equitable relationships. I have an instinctive need to stand up for myself and make a stand if the power is skewed or unfairness is obvious.

Anger is better than being annoyed when I am can be passive aggressive and snotty. I know this so I try to release it with anger. This can be an internal dialogue by the way. Anger at myself can clear my mind, when I can laugh at myself and move on and get out of the that funk.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

betrayal is the most difficult

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For me it's fear. And regret.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uselessness, helplessness. Not sure if those are emotions. I feel that I have to be useful in order to be valued. When I'm not useful I'm not valuable and I have no purpose.