Thread: Breaking news: Bin Laden is dead

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Breaking news: Bin Laden is dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

And I think if Obama's reelection wasn't already a certainty, it is now.

That's another campaign promise he and his team have managed to fulfill. In debates he said, in no uncertain terms, "I will KILL Osama bin Laden".

Well, now they have. I feel safer already. It will be very hard for al Qaeda to remain relevant without someone that psychotically pious, visible, and committed to killing those who disagree with him.

So with al Qaeda crumbling, what next for planet earth?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My week just keeps getting better and better...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dems will run away with it. The damage to Bush's legacy, for bin Laden to have been discovered living in a mansion in Islamabad, will be severe.

The Dems will be able to paint the Republicans as in egregious error for concentrating on Iraq instead of Afghanistan/Pakistan. Oh man, the fallout will be... awesome.

Obviously for him to have been living in a mansion all this time, there must have been a huge mistake on the part of the intelligence services. Like, Iraqi WMDs-huge.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

And I think if Obama's reelection wasn't already a certainty, it is now.

That's another campaign promise he and his team have managed to fulfill. In debates he said, in no uncertain terms, "I will KILL Osama bin Laden".

Well, now they have. I feel safer already. It will be very hard for al Qaeda to remain relevant without someone that psychotically pious, visible, and committed to killing those who disagree with him.

So with al Qaeda crumbling, what next for planet earth?
    I smell conspiracy.

Last edited by EyeSeeCold; 05-02-2011 at 04:43 AM.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol my roommate and I have been getting hammered ever since we found out.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-bg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Conspiracy or not, long as he stays dead, I'm happy.
    If it's a conspiracy, him being alive or dead is probably irrelevant.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay the end of Islamic militancy!

Or not.

I don't see how this will curb anything. Islamic militants are not a centralised group.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    lol my roommate and I have been getting hammered ever since we found out.
    That's what I was going to say about the students/crowd celebrating in NYC

Why?
    I don't get it.

GO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!! one of them said.
    They seemed drunk and, IDK, weird.

It seems kind of phoney that ther eis 'continuing live coverage' about the celebrations, and the commiseration and the hardships, and how 9/11 defined my generation, those images of the towers etc.

More tools than a hardware store : /

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

At the very least, this should tip the scales of morale in the direction that I mainly want for it to go in

And so begins what should be a brighter chapter in the world...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mun

seems more like an excuse for college students who are already stresssing and procrastinating about studying for their finals to eget drunk and celebrate in the name of 'patriotism'.

-10 for me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    At the very least, this should tip the scales of morale in the direction that I mainly want for it to go in

And so begins what should be a brighter chapter in the world...
    You're serious, aren't you.

I guess I'll say, that would be nice.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FOR TCAU

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    You're serious, aren't you.

I guess I'll say, that would be nice.
    Yep

I'm something of an optimist - also, looking at the gas prices rising, this will either help put pressure on the Saudi royal family, and/or lead to more usage of electric cars... I see a lot of progress just waiting to happen...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    That's actually from you pulling a shitty hoax on yourself and leaving awful skid marks all over your brain. Might want to consider a change of perspective.
    You're delusional.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Yep

I'm something of an optimist - also, looking at the gas prices rising, this will either help put pressure on the Saudi royal family, and/or lead to more usage of electric cars... I see a lot of progress just waiting to happen...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13256943
    Actually, oil dipped slightly, but I doubt that will last.
    I don't really see anything relating to Osama affecting gas prices or electic cars. Perhaps in a roundabout way if Obama gets more clout to push away from oil itself.

I see a lot of progress waiting to happen, too. I just don't know how this event will particularly relate to it, if at all. I see the real battle sbeing fought elsewhere.

I'm banking on it provoking the enemy to react desperately in playing their hand, and push the envelope of the war into a more decisive endgame. Also it'll up my chances for retaining gainful employment in the future, so hey.
    You want to be employed in warfare? Isn't there plenty of opportunity for that already?

IDK what 'the enemy' will do.

Lol, are you trying to insinuate you've some kind of moral high ground? What's wrong with what he said?
    Are you trying to insinuate you have some kind of highground?

I'm not. I don't really care, I just have my own thoughts. Nothing's wrong with what he said. I was going to ask him if he was being sarcastic or not. And I'm hard to be convinced about things going in the right direction just because bin Laden got taken out. To me there are a lot more, bigger fish to fry. I don't even see it as much of a victory, maybe just something symbolic that will be fun to put on newspapers and run hours of coverage talking about people's feelings.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mun

seems more like an excuse for college students who are already stresssing and procrastinating about studying for their finals to eget drunk and celebrate in the name of 'patriotism'.

-10 for me.
    Well, people will have fun when and where they can, and when a significant enemy of the nation in which you live suffers a head of the snake decapitation, the pros of how they may splinter further beyond the zarqawi sunni supremacy direction of al-qaeda, the guy that headed up the operation committing thousands of innocent civilians to their deaths being himself confirmed dead, I say enjoy that silver lining. Particularly in the sense that this allows some level of military reorganization in the theaters they are currently involved in, so dudes be coming home to their families.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

YAWN.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Well, people will have fun when and where they can, and when a significant enemy of the nation in which you live suffers a head of the snake decapitation, the pros of how they may splinter further beyond the zarqawi sunni supremacy direction of al-qaeda, the guy that headed up the operation committing thousands of innocent civilians to their deaths being himself confirmed dead, I say enjoy that silver lining.
    Ok, I'll give you that.

Particularly in the sense that this allows some level of military reorganization in the theaters they are currently involved in, so dudes be coming home to their families.
    Will they really though? I hope so.

I don't really get how things are 'over' just because osama has been neutralized. I'd be even more concerned in the immediate near future, not lower my guard. But that's just me I guess.

I heard it on the news, a guy said "in a time when americans are looking for something to feel good about" - perhaps that captures a lot of it all.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seriously.... in a situation where we've already killed over a-million people in Iraq, I have to say....WHO IN THEIR FUCKING RIGHT MINDS CARE IF BIN LADEN IS DEAD?!?!? The dude probably was just attempting to protect people against the american imperialism and invasion in the only way he knew how.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to your slumber, cpig. Until the world needs your powers once again.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will they really though? I hope so.

I don't really get how things are 'over' just because osama has been neutralized. I'd be even more concerned in the immediate near future, not lower my guard. But that's just me I guess.

I heard it on the news, a guy said "in a time when americans are looking for something to feel good about" - perhaps that captures a lot of it all.
    Not in any necessary sense, but certainly in a political objectives:costs and expenditures way. It's probable that it would lead to a strategic shift of settling back and preparing for a counterattack absent some further intel to go on and debilitate the organization even more. In any case, it presents a more likely scenario for soldiers to come home than say, ten hours ago, unless Pakistan is outraged and does something absolutely nuts.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. but the macro problems are still in play.

It's not quite like killing Saurmon in LOTR, where everything falls apart after 'the leader' is killed. The situation that birthed bin Laden still remains. Pakistan and Afghanistan are still not 'functional' states, there's still islamic fundamentalism/etc. There is going to be increasing issues about shortages for water, resource,s food, oil, etc. Regional stability and American angst still remains. It's a possible turning point but it's not like it's some war where the objective is to assasinate the enemy leader and the whole lot of bad guys, the whole country, surrenders. Or is it? I wasn't under that impression.

IDK, I'm just put off and I don't know where else to express it. Seeing a widow of a 9/11 fireman take closure in osama dieing, I just feel like... a complete asshole, but also saying... are you sure it's ok to feel that way? Why him? Why is he such a big deal? What about the other terrorists who actually were involved in the crash, some of whom are apparently still alive? IDK, I just feel awkward about it.

........ the body of Osama has already been buried at sea, huh?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like to celebrate until whatever it is - it's dead and decapitated and not capable of reviving itself. Jason movies, Wolverine vs Weapon X, Resident Evil, whatever.

Eh. I'll just go away and create something awesome to eat.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a deterioration of ties to Pakistan, unfortunately. The conspiracy over bin Laden's being hidden....

I feel relieved that an avowed enemy of progress is dead. Seriously, this guy was as anti-liberal as they come. Glenn Beck, Palin, and Coulter combined would have nothing, but nothing on UBL when it comes to hate for social progress.

Now without his smiling, friendly face, the Sunni Shia crazies of the world will feel a little less... united.

This was one INFP I am glad to know is no longer with us. He was hard-wired to turn the misery of the Islamic world into a force for even more misery, ultimately climaxing in an insane crusade for the death of the globe.

Here's one immediate effect: Iraq's al Zarqawi was able to rally hundred right to his side by killing a few Americans and applying for the blessing of UBL. He got it, and look what he managed. UBL was basically the "prophet" for radical Islamic Jihad: terrorist leaders would spring up in country after country and ask for his blessing. He would offer it, and bang, hundreds of radical jihadists from all over would be knocking on their door. They could manage in months what would otherwise require several years to get going. Now, they can't do that anymore.

But the victory is incomplete. They need to get his right hand man, too, because he was a chief organizer of the whole operation. It's like Samuel and David: only the current prophet can anoint a new king with the grace of God. Thus the goal is to eliminate not only one prophet, but the entire line of feasible prophets.

The charisma matters... not immediately but over time, the lack for Obama's charisma will be felt as extroverts look for a leader who exists not in theory, but in reality.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 05-02-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the deal with his body getting dumped into the sea; shouldn't they be keeping the thing around to prove he's the real thing.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ok , I'm really fucking confused... because they said they were buring him at sea as a part of an islamic burial...I've never heard of that tradition and I have islamic family members. And why in the hell did they rush him to sea so soon? I'm normally not one to have jump onto conspiracy theories... but this shit is odd.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    ok , I'm really fucking confused... because they said they were buring him at sea as a part of an islamic burial...I've never heard of that tradition and I have islamic family members. And why in the hell did they rush him to sea so soon? I'm normally not one to have jump onto conspiracy theories... but this shit is odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    whats the deal with his body getting dumped into the sea; shouldn't they be keeping the thing around to prove he's the real thing.
    Not completely conclusive, but here goes! from http://www.seaservices.com/Muslim.htm:

"624. If it is feared that an enemy may dig up the grave and exhume the dead body and amputate its ears or nose or other limbs, it should be lowered into sea, if possible, as stated in the foregoing rule."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop trying to predict things, tcaud!!! It's annoying.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't celebrate prematurely.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The pictures of Bin Laden dead are confirmed fakes. So basically they dumped him at sea citing Islamic tradition(which isn't the typical tradition) only hours after they killed him without a shred of evidence that he even died. That makes no fucking sense. I usually try to not get tied up in stuff like this, but come on... that makes no sense.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was killed yesterday, or he died a long time ago, or he's still hiding and isn't planning to make any new videos. Why would they report his death to the public if they were fully aware that there would be a risk that he'd make a new video?

He's dead. Get over it.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxi View Post
    He was killed yesterday, or he died a long time ago, or he's still hiding and isn't planning to make any new videos. Why would they report his death to the public if they were fully aware that there would be a risk that he'd make a new video?

He's dead. Get over it.
    Maybe he's been dead or something.... I really have no fucking idea..... but theres too many things that make no sense. I think he was killed a long time ago to be honest, but I really don't know. The things that the government are saying make no sense. Why in the fuck would they bury his body at sea? Why in the fuck would they bury his body so soon? And why in the fuck would a helicopter crash into the mansion that he was supposedly killed at citing technical difficulties? I have Muslims in my family and being buried at sea makes no sense to them.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm never one to defend the intelligence of govt, but yeah I doubt they'd pull a boner like that.
    You have to admit though, something doesn't add up? It may be something small like them lying about burying his body or something; but their story doesn't make sense.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could read the determination in Obama's expression last night, like the death was wearing heavy on his mind. The men he probably didn't care about... the woman, might have gave him some pause. In any case, he signed off on it, he carries the burden of responsibility for the death.

No conspiracy, only a healthy respect for Fe. Something the U.S. has been giving more credence to since Abu Graib. I don't think I wanted to see bin Laden's old head with a bullet in it. Plus, they probably didn't have to remove the bullet this way, makes things less complicated. Getting it all done nice and tidy before the Pakistanis can really react... they must not be happy that U.S. helicopters were flying 35 miles outside their capital.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    You have to admit though, something doesn't add up? It may be something small like them lying about burying his body or something; but their story doesn't make sense.
    Alive or dead, he's gone and Obama will be a 2-term president.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm hard to be convinced about things going in the right direction just because bin Laden got taken out. To me there are a lot more, bigger fish to fry. I don't even see it as much of a victory, maybe just something symbolic that will be fun to put on newspapers and run hours of coverage talking about people's feelings.
    This, more or less. A political feather in Obama's cap, a news "product" for news outlets to sell. If something good comes of bin Laden's death, fine. But I don't see how this event naturally leads to major changes.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard for me to even care about this. Woo hoo, he's dead...there's thousands that could take his spot. At the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact they're still sending troops overseas and people are still dying so in a sense, Bin Laden is still winning. Withdraw troops and then maybe I'll give a damn.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mun

-10 for me.
    That's EXACTLY what i thought as well. It all seemed to be young college-aged kids partying outside of the White House.

Anyway, I echo those of you who are wondering what will change, really. I'm sure Bin Laden has a well-trained #2, #3, #4, etc etc who is ready to take his place and keep running Al Qaeda. I think the killing of Bin Laden is nothing more than symbolism, and really is not even equal retribution for Sept 11th. Come on, 1 death in exchange for several thousands?

I mean, I'm glad Bin Laden and his dangerous mind and ideas are gone, but I actually see not much to celebrate.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast