Thread: alignment of environmental props

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default alignment of environmental props

One's preferred environment (tangible) has to do with things like: music on/off, lighting dim/bright, company present/absent, temperature warm/cold, food spicy/sweet/enough?/not enough?, and so on.

One's preferred environment (intangible) is a natural outgrowth of the above. it is my suspicion that for each desired activity, there is an ideal corresponding physical quality that must be set into place. most often i suspect it is more than one physical component. so, for example, if i were to want to watch a movie, i could hypothetically do the following: turn the music off, the lighting dim, send the company away, turn the air conditioner up. yet perhaps i am hungry for spicy food and all i have is licorice, which i dislike. the idea is that my environment is not entirely conducive, then, to my watching the movie.

the tangible preference itself seems like a good start to identifying one's quadra, but how one creates his preferred environment, whether or not one cares to create one, and how one reacts to being thwarted from creating it seems more indicative of type.

i had not realized how important my environmental props were to me until I lived with my INFj friend. i naturally would just go into a room and set everything into place/motion in order to do whatever I wanted to do. for every desired activity, there is a corresponding environmental formula. for every desired level of productivity or lack thereof, there is a perfect combination and positioning of tangible stimuli.

now at times i reach the point where i am so anxious as a result of not being able to turn music on or walk naked or adjust the temperature as I wish, etc., that i suddenly must just make everything right or leave altogether. it doesn't take me long to feel irritable. however, forcing these conditions does not feel right. e.g., my roommate starts to realize i was unhappy in complete silence and states: "go ahead and turn on the music." i thank her, but really it is too late. i recognize that the conditions I require do not always occur naturally, but i also know that i must be afforded the freedom to create them before I get anxious as a result of their absence. i had thought that perhaps everyone had various preferred environments (tangible) which corresponded to a desired activity, etc., and that people's relaxedness/productivity depended on their ability to maintain their preferred stimuli and then change them as it became necessary.

now i'm not so sure. my INFj friend claims she never thinks about "setting up her environment," as I've been calling it. Clearly she does not get it because it's been 6 mos. now and I've told her many times what I require. Yet just yesterday she thought turning on the weather channel and telling me about it would make me feel more at ease.

anyone else very sensitive to being afforded the freedom (naturally, without someone saying "go ahead") to arrange physical objects /characteristics into optimum position?

the desired intangible part should dictate the motion of the tangible part.

do you automatically know which mood an environment must evoke in order for you to reach a desired level of productivity or engage in a particular activity? if you do, yet suddenly are not free to do so, how do you react? i generally do not stress or even think about setting up the environment (i just tweak it until it fits) unless somebody clearly wants something different or makes it appear that mine is interfering with their mood / productivity, etc. really, it's normally just like a baseline set of conditions which allow me to do whatever else i need/want to do.

thoughts?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how preferred tangible environmental conditions are related to type or quadra.

You have high anxiety.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First question: is this person really your friend?

I can see where you are coming from, however.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    I don't see how preferred tangible environmental conditions are related to type or quadra.

You have high anxiety.
    internally, yes, but i am calm on the outside provided that i can set everything into place naturally (by naturally i mean without having to be told i can do it or even be conscious of doing it).
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, anxiety IS internal. Whether you express it or not is irrelevant.

If you described these behaviors to a psychiatrist, he would probably give you either valium or xanax.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, anxiety IS internal. Whether you express it or not is irrelevant.

If you described these behaviors to a psychiatrist, he would probably give you either valium or xanax.
    which behaviors? i'm pretty sure i didn't tell you any of my behaviors. and i totally disagree with you point. whether or not you express it makes a huge difference.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said that you feel irritable if you can't set all of your surroundings to your exact preference. That is a MAJOR indicator of high anxiety. The fact that you don't express it externally does not mean you don't have high anxiety (this is what I mean by saying that expressing it doesn't matter: the fact that you don't show it doesn't mean you don't have it).

If it really bothers you this much, and you'd rather it not, I'd recommend going to a doctor; if you want treatment, it's definitely available to you with this degree of anxiety. But hey, if you function well enough, and don't mind it, I guess it's better to not take anything. But the way you describe it, well, I know I would go crazy living with that kind of anxiety. To each his/her own.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said that you feel irritable if you can't set all of your surroundings to your exact preference. That is a MAJOR indicator of high anxiety. The fact that you don't express it externally does not mean you don't have high anxiety (this is what I mean by saying that expressing it doesn't matter: the fact that you don't show it doesn't mean you don't have it).

If it really bothers you this much, and you'd rather it not, I'd recommend going to a doctor...although if you function well enough, I guess it's better to not take anything. But the way you describe it, well, I know I would go crazy living with that kind of anxiety. To each his/her own.
    uh, ok.

i wasn't looking for advice. furthermore, i suggested that this isn't a problem when i am alone and that i usually don't even think about it. i also basically depersonalized the problem because i was looking for insight into the essence of the problem. i already see a shrink, btw.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it seemed to me as though you weren't considering this level of anxiety as abnormal, so I just thought I'd give a little input...not trying to offend you or anything...

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    First question: is this person really your friend?
    She was before we coexisted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody got my point. Perhaps I should just ask my cat.

2nd and final attempt (this takes major effort for me to express):

The issue of setting up my surroundings in such a way as to promote comfort and / or productivity rarely even came to my consciousness until living with the INFj. It was certainly not a trigger for anxiety. I would go into a room or any place and naturally position myself according to what would make me comfortable and if I could not achieve desired level of comfort , etc., I would simply leave or move around until I achieved it or gave up. I also was not simply referring to tangible objects as this would make it appear that I have GAD or OCD, which I do not. I mentioned the tangible items only as a way to explore the overall mood created by a space. Obviously, the space contains things. It doesn't seem like such a difficult concept. Further, I was trying to explore the mood inhabited by a space (or perhaps the space inhabited by a mood??) And so the natural assumption is that a person may or may not be aware of contributing to the mood produced by a space, and that certain conditions may affect a person's 1-awareness 2-ability to correct what is misaligned.

So, as I started to see that someone sharing my space desired something I apparently do not, a weakness began to surface. A certain set of environmental stimuli suddenly became something I was conscious of needing, and even more conscious of not being able to create. This is what led to the anxiety and also to my initial question.

I believe this is Se-related, but I tend to ask open-ended questions so as not to influence people's responses too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound like to me. Reminds me of my ESE mother and how she has to have everything clean.

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    I believe this is Se-related, but I tend to ask open-ended questions so as not to influence people's responses too much.
    I don't really see as a function that establishes a balance between oneself and their immediate physical environment. What I can see is totally shattering this balance.