Thread: INFJ or INTJ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFJ or INTJ?

Yes, this is my first post. But I've been intrigued greatly by this entire site - especially since you all seem to have a bit of awesomeness in ye - so here's to attempting to type each other.

I, about 2 years ago, took an online test based upon the Meyers-Briggs personality theory-etc, and the first time I took it I checked as an INFJ. Perhaps 9 months later, I took it again. I came as an INTJ, but it said that the 't' wasn't extremely strong compared to 'f'. I suppose some of the questions I'd changed one or two of my answers to.

Anyway, recently a family member has come to me and said he thinks I'm an INTJ. He's ENT(J), functioning more as a P in my opinion. However, I insisted that INFJ was my type.

My proof:

1) Yes, extro-feeling means I feel more strongly than I think. But I do not like to show people my feelings - he states it's because I'm a T, I state it's because I've had bad experiences with sharing my feelings. As the main site says, 'The personality disorder which is a pathological representation of the Sensitive personality type is the Avoidant Personality Disorder.' ... which runs on a basis of 'I may get hurt', and thus I avoid possibilities of getting hurt. If I've been emotionally hurt talking to people and sharing my feelings, I could logically be functioning as a T because of APD.
    2) He does not know what I feel. I do feel strongly, but he doesn't see it. Over the last year, much has happened to make me even more reserved. He thinks I act confident and self-assured. It's just a wall, I suppose, because I never feel confident or self-assured. Maybe it's because I have a ridiculous inability to understand how people see me.

His proof:

1) I never talk about my feelings. Well, yes, I don't really talk about my feelings - in real life. I can talk about them much better online, because I don't like opening up to people face-to-face.
    2) I don't tell anyone if I feel hurt or sad or depressed or melancholy, and I tend to react more with my thinking than I do with my feelings. It's true, I don't stand for illogicality in someone's thought process.

He says that I might also be a P, because I like to be informed on decisions. But I consider myself a J because I make decisions strongly when I do make them, which is fairly often and quickly.

> the ratio of close friends online as opposed to real life is about 5:1. considering I don't call very many people 'friends' online, much less in real life, you might see that.
    > i cannot make phone calls, it's fairly impossible for me.
    > i have been told that I am rather good at writing; I have won awards for short story writing. the only odd thing about people's reactions to what I write is either this: 'abstract! we can't understand!' or 'trouble connecting things together'.
    > I have, as I said, ridiculously low self-esteem.

Alright, so type me!
    I am going to blow the horn of Rohan, and give them all some music they have never heard before.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, you apparently don't know much about socionics (as opposed to MBTI - look at socionics.us).

Try describing yourself without using types at all.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, those correlations with personality disorders in the main site of this forum are based on a proposed correlation between Socionics and Oldham types; they are of dubious value at best.

So yes, it's best that you describe yourself without any reference to types.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must admit, first time I read 'thehotelambush'-s post, I realized that socionics and MBTI were much more different than I thought. So it was a bit of "Gah, I'm stupid" moment.

Hm. What does one wish to know? I'm fairly quiet ... I see myself as extremely reserved in social settings, actually, it's rare that you get a word out of me even if I'm in a group of acquaintances, and there's someone fairly 'new' there. I get embarrassed easily, even if someone asks me a question I must avoid their eyes. Turning red isn't very uncommon.

I love to read, to write ... and I like to draw, but it's never very good. I could write a poem fairly quickly, really. Words I rather like, better than real-life interaction, because they're easier to procure and they're not as ... emotionally charged and foolish as verbal interaction. I enjoy listening to music - odd choices, really - because it blocks outside distractions. I tend to get intense about what I'm doing - I must immerse myself in it completely...

I am a Christian... and I believe quite strongly in being one. I'm an absolutist, and I tend to think in black or white... I love paradoxes, strangely... and debates. When I was significantly younger I used to get into elongated debates with people I knew - those who were more than three times my age...

I've also been klepto in the past. Odd OCD things randomly appearing. I go for abstract writing. And I don't like romance novels. <_<

So ...yeah.
    I am going to blow the horn of Rohan, and give them all some music they have never heard before.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mona
    I realized that socionics and MBTI were much more different than I thought.
    Thank you.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what you've said and your writing style, INTj or INFj, Ne subtype. Could go either way.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't read all of your post,

but I say his proof that you didn't talk about your feelings.

I've got an INFJ friend who certainly doesn't talk about his feelings.

But are you interested in science, or more interested in human beings?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You describe yourself well. "I'm the kind of person.." "I imagine myself as...". There's something very structured about it. INFj would probably be able to describe herself like that. INTjs tend to describe themselves somehow differently. You're ethical rather than logical IMO.

PS, Jarno, "i haven't read all of your posts" - you meant to say "i haven't read BOTH of your posts". :wink:
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually i meant i haven't read all of the post that is in this post.

guess i was too lazy to make the sentence correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jarno: I am more interested in humans. Science doesn't interest me much... but if I read textbooks on it, I can probably immerse myself in it. Until I find something I don't understand, after which I usually am bored. When I was younger, I picked up a physics textbook, and enjoyed the explanations, but when it came to the mathematics parts, I was distinctly put off. Needless to say, I didn't open that book for over a year after that.

Hm, after reading as much as I could on the Socionics site, I'm beginning to understand more of the socionics theory. I actually most likely like this - or understand it - more than the MBTI type-theory, because it allows for more specific classifications...

Would someone explain what subtypes are - and if they're on the Socionics website? I couldn't find anything on subtypes there. Or maybe this is a stupid question. <_<

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would someone explain what subtypes are - and if they're on the Socionics website? I couldn't find anything on subtypes there. Or maybe this is a stupid question. <_<
    questions are always smart because you see where things get flawed. oke enough of my philosophy

here's the tread that has all the 32 subtypes descriptions:

http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9001

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, so far I think INFj is more likely than INTj, if we consider only those types.

Subtypes are a convenient way of explaining why and how some people can be of the same type and yet behave differently enough so that they might be seen as different types -- or the other way around: why someone seems to many to be clearly of a certain type, but actually be of another one.

For instance:

If you take an ISFj ethical subtype and an ISFj sensory subtype. Many would be inclined to type the ISFj-Fi as INFj, and the ISFj-Se as ISTj; but a closer look at their values, functional preferences, and their relationships with people, would show that they are of the same type - ISFj - even if also somewhat different in their behavior.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the entj wants to boff you

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    the entj wants to boff you
    That's not all there is to dominant and -dual-seeking, you know.