Thread: Experiences with Identical Relations

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Experiences with Identical Relations

I'm beginning to see how identical relations are being a very healthy and helpful thing. If the person is doing well, it's easy to see what you should be doing differently in order to do well, and if they're not doing well you can see where they're messing up. I think that finding an identical who is where you want to go (or for those who don't think in those terms, one who you admire or see as successful in the areas of life that are important to you, whatever that is), and either reading about that person or observing them can teach you a lot.

Recently I've spent a fair amount of time around identical who is pretty much exactly where I want to be in 5 years. I think this is about the best thing that could have happened to get me back on track... not that I'd lost sight of my goals, but I have been feeling pretty frustrated because of many various factors and needed a reminder that I am indeed doing what I should be doing to get where I'm trying to go. It's just not easy, that's all.

I definitely see the PoLR in him, but I see ways that he's successfully dealt with it, and that's very helpful. It makes it seem like it doesn't need to be all that difficult.

The first and second functions are obvious, and it was nice to talk to someone who looks at issues the same way I do. He also made some good points that I wouldn't have thought of, points I attribute to his having been around longer. This is a very valuable thing because he doesn't even need to explain his reasoning, just say what he thinks about it and I automatically see his point, and it's like I'm able to readily utilize knowledge he's gained through experiences that I haven't had.

I also have a much better understanding of the Role function now. I think it's something that is, in a way, a lot stronger than we make it out to be when we talk about it on the forum. It's something that we're very aware of, but don't value. Combined with our first function, this awareness proves to be a very useful thing. It's like... you can see why others behave the way they do, and you know how to deal with them better as a result. It feels like you're able to see why they're doing what they're doing, but the downfalls of it, the things they didn't consider, are apparent to you. You can use your awareness to do what you need to do to get along with them and give them what they want without making the mistakes they're making (which you're actually seeing with your first function). Of course, as with anything else in socionics (and perhaps life), it's all a matter of perspective. Everyone values different types of information and styles of thinking, and no one is really right or wrong, just seeing different things.

I remember someone here saying to me that talking to another person from your quadra, especially your dual, makes you think, "Wow, there's another sane person in the world". I don't know if I'd use the word sane, but I definitely see what he was talking about. It's like they "get it", and there are very few other people who do. I've never known an identical all that well. There were a couple that I sort of knew, and I did get along really well with them, but they were where I was and headed in the same direction rather than already being where I am headed.

The best part of all of this for me right now is seeing how an identical successfully overcame his PoLR. Dealing with my PoLR has been much more of an issue for me than I've realized, and I have been letting it have way too much of a negative effect of my life. At this point I know of some things I can do to make a big difference. They're things I already *knew*, but now they seem much more realistic. There's no absolutely reason I can't do them.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've indeed read that you learn fastest from an Identical.

although it can be boring too.

I've met some Identicals but have no need to speak to them again.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    I've indeed read that you learn fastest from an Identical.
    Do you have a source for that?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Identicals as siblings

Does anyone here have an identical as a sibling? (or know siblings that are identical?) Where are they (to you) in terms of birth order? How are your relations with said sibling?

My little sister is my identical (she's INFp-Fe subtype, I'm the oldest and she's the youngest of four children - seven years younger than me). Her and I get along really well, we're closer to each other than my other two siblings (ESFp male and ESFj female) who also seem to be closer to each other. Often I feel sympathetic for my mom because she's ESFj and has to deal with double supervision, lol. My sister and I seem pretty good at justifying each other's actions, good or bad, and work almost like a team so that when anyone in the family criticizes our behaviour, without any proper explanation, we put them in their place - specifically if the criticism is directed at one of us for not "acting normal"/acting like everyone else for the sake of acting like everyone else. This is the first time in the past 5 years that I've lived in the same house as her for an extended period as I was away at school but I can't imagine not having her around. I find that we provide each other with a certain degree of psychological comfort; in the sense that we both experience "reality" in a similar way, but both feel that our way of experiencing "reality" is very much separated from the majority's viewpoint. So whereas without each other we might fall victim to being accused of being abnormal, and thus giving in to hypochondriac tendencies and conforming, together we can logically conclude that the probability of there being something inherently wrong, and manifesting itself in the exact same way, in two siblings of the opposite sex, is so low that the probability of there being something wrong with the person accusing us is higher and thus we're right, they're wrong, lol. We never get into serious fights or criticize each other of anything, and so always support each other - I think we both know that it's in neither of our interests to expose the other's weaknesses to others as, really, by doing so we'd only be exposing our own.

I was also curious as to what the prevalency of having an identical sibling might be in the general population as I don't think I know anyone else that does. Anyways please feel free to share your own experiences/thoughts on this issue!
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think two of my kids are identicals--INFps like I am and the other daughter is identical to my husband, ESFj. Lots of supervision flying around. It's really interesting to watch the twins (an INFp and an ESFj) interact because they often mirror the interactions of my husband and I. But anyway, back to your question. The two INFps (okay so actually my son might be ISFp, I am not sure. He's either INFp or ISFp) get along really well. They do seem closer than any of the other combinations, even closer in some ways than the twins. We'll see how things go as they get older. They often make up games and spend hours together quietly playing whereas the ESFj gets bored easily with that and would rather find a good book to read or walk around the house asking what we're going to do next.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    The two INFps (okay so actually my son might be ISFp, I am not sure. He's either INFp or ISFp) get along really well. They do seem closer than any of the other combinations, even closer in some ways than the twins. We'll see how things go as they get older. They often make up games and spend hours together quietly playing whereas the ESFj gets bored easily with that and would rather find a good book to read or walk around the house asking what we're going to do next.
    that's like me and my little sister, especially at social occassions we stick together and try to get out of the area of "densest noise", so to speak, which is funny enough the area where our other two siblings (ESFp, ESFj) are concentrated.

do you know of any other people that have children identicals? or people whose siblings are identical? I suppose it's quite rare in western society because most families have less than three children but I'm interested and the lack of response from others seems to confirm this
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default YOUR Identicals

Do you feel bad when you find out that someone you really don't like is the same type as you? Does it make you smile when you find out that someone you really admire is your identical?

I was LOLing at myself because I do this all the time. "Aw crap she's an ISFp? That sucks." "NO way! SHE's an ISFp?? Sweeeeeet."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, mostly because I can see my own stubbornness and deep seated beliefs. I don't hate it when it happens, in fact it's quite revealing, it's just unnerving.

I've yet to find my own type that makes me smile
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being INFp, I come across the occasional pussy emo fag...but other than that, I like em.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - it goes either way for me. I've met people who seem to embody all that's awesome about SEIs - and also people who just magnify all our faults and make me ashamed to be SEI. Lol.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    Do you feel bad when you find out that someone you really don't like is the same type as you? Does it make you smile when you find out that someone you really admire is your identical?

I was LOLing at myself because I do this all the time. "Aw crap she's an ISFp? That sucks." "NO way! SHE's an ISFp?? Sweeeeeet."
    how can identifying with liking or disliking a person make your type any more appealing or unappealing?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be sexually attracted to my identicals. Then again, I tend to feel that way about nearly anyone that I can identify with in some way. I must be retarded.

Is that an answer?
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, it actually makes me feel good that even if I am the same type, I have been able to become a better person than the guy.

The moment I feel slightly worse instead happens in correspondence with the reverse: if I see an identical that is clearly "better" than me in most ways.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your experiences with Identical Relations

Isn't it fabulous? I have nearly relinquished my desire for finding a dual because of being in an identical relationship. It is above and beyond any relationship I've ever had so far in terms of psychological closeness, understanding on every level, and intensity. My best friend is also my identical and our friendship is the "realest" friendship I have ever experienced, besides my Activity partners at a close second.

Anyone else have similar experiences with their identical? Share here! Let us band together and take down these fanciful tales of duality! I can't even see now how duality could be better than identity anymore... well, I shouldn't speak too fast because I had a terrible experience with an alleged SLE whom I will never forgive.

The truth is, I can't see myself really understanding an SLE. The ones I've met are really just not in the same "zone" I'm in ... for everything. On the other hand, if you're with your identical, you always know where you stand, and you have constant guidance, support, and a place to vent because the other person will always feel the same. I also believe identicals CAN and DO help each-other develop strengths/weaknesses. I don't exactly see how they could not. Some descriptions I've read say that identicals can not help eachother because they are too similar. Really?

I have just recently read a lot of people bashing their supposed "duals" and I would just like to challenge the status quo by stating that perhaps identical relations could be better, haha.

PS: I may still be an EIE, lmao, so this might really be about Mirror relations, but I doubt it.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I really wouldn't mind being with a healthy, intelligent IEI; hell, it'd probably be great.

On the contrary, I've had some pretty bad relations with unhealthy IEI's though... very bad.
    I guess relationships with anyone unhealthy is bad.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qbsirena06 View Post
    I guess relationships with anyone unhealthy is bad.
    That's a very profound conclusion.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    That's a very profound conclusion.
    Yeah, well. What can I say? I felt inspired. It's a gift.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My closest girlfriends are my identicals. I really have a hard time having long term meaningful friendships with women other than IEIs (tho one of my best friends from college was EIE). I'm pretty sure my first love back in high school was IEI. We were very close. His parents were extremely strict and didn't like me because we were too serious. I grew tired of that scene after a couple years. Anyway, I don't know if I would have been happy with him if the circumstances were different or not. But yes, there was a great deal of understanding and support there. Would I have gotten bored eventually? I dunno. I do think there's something to what you're saying here though.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, it'd be nice but ultimately ... I don't know, seems like i'd be missing something.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My identicals generally annoy me.

I still find a lot of my identicals attractive though, and attractive people rarely annoy me.
    So I guess I like my identicals too.

maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post

I still find a lot of my identicals attractive though, and attractive people rarely annoy me.

That made no sense.

ENTp's suck.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not sure of your type, how do you know how you feel about your identicals?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QFT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the women I work with is ILI and we've always got on pretty well as friends. I'm not certain that I've known any other ILIs IRL though; at least not closely enough to form a proper friendship with them. I couldn't imagine myself being with one romantically though. Heh, Kelly and I were discussing this a short while back and she said that if I was with another ILI, we'd just end up sitting there and staring at eachother. I thought it was rather funny meself. So yeah, duality ftw.

I tell you what actually, if ever two SEEs meet, especially if they have common surface traits (e.g. same gender, similar age, things like that) they seem to click instantly and it's like SEE chaos. It's great fun to observe. I have the fortune of working with quite a few SEEs, both past and present, so I've seen this happen a few times.

That reminds me, in response to the things about duality not working out, I think that especially if you've never met your dual before, it takes quite a bit of time before you truly start to grow on eachother. It's quite a subtle process; it doesn't happen instantly. Although I think it gets quicker if you meet more of your duals. If you expect instant results though, you'll probably be disappointed.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's Sunshine Lively when you need her?.....: /
    Suomea

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know, shes like Miss Manners only with Ti
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    If you're not sure of your type, how do you know how you feel about your identicals?
    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    QFT
    Should I edit my post to say "assuming I'm ILE...." to clarify?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i like allie's use of here
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.. it is listed as second most favorable. The downside I think is.. you will not be forced to develop your weak side. ... If you are a person who prefers not to confront your weak side, .. and isn't gona change your mind about that, then sure- go identical. I would say identity is alot easier than duality to form and to maintain. It's less rewarding IMO.. . it is also a really sexual relationship. At least w/ other ILIs... sex fiends they are. The female ILIs... dam, they are horny.
    :l
    When the sexual attraction goes away it is kind of ... not so much different then spending the day alone, except now you have two voices inside your head to entertain you instead of one. And if you are horny, just have sex. Easy fix.
    Seems to me like a way of neutralizing the "problem" of finding someone. Where instead of compromising yourself, you're just like "..hey, I can get it easy.. like this"

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romancing is a great verb.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    I would say identity is alot easier than duality to form and to maintain. It's less rewarding IMO
    I agree with this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I meet one of my identicals, I feel like I've stepped onto another planet - all populated with clones of myself. It freaks me out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my identicals there always seems to be a certain competition. I could see it being playful for a night and not lasting much more after that. They'd probably make good friends/pals though.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    With my identicals there always seems to be a certain competition. I could see it being playful for a night and not lasting much more after that. They'd probably make good friends/pals though.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    Well.. it is listed as second most favorable. The downside I think is.. you will not be forced to develop your weak side. ... If you are a person who prefers not to confront your weak side, .. and isn't gona change your mind about that, then sure- go identical. I would say identity is alot easier than duality to form and to maintain. It's less rewarding IMO.. . it is also a really sexual relationship. At least w/ other ILIs... sex fiends they are. The female ILIs... dam, they are horny.
    :l
    When the sexual attraction goes away it is kind of ... not so much different then spending the day alone, except now you have two voices inside your head to entertain you instead of one. And if you are horny, just have sex. Easy fix.
    Seems to me like a way of neutralizing the "problem" of finding someone. Where instead of compromising yourself, you're just like "..hey, I can get it easy.. like this"
    Heh, I like this post, it's funny. I do see that identity can get boring after a while, because you have basically re-hashed everything and agree on literally everything. You think the same things, feel the same things... no surprise. I bet it would become stale. But then, as you said, you can just have sex If two identicals are physically attracted to one another, I think the sexual stuff would be great... because you know what the other person likes since you like it yourself... LOL

What do you all think if one of the identicals is actually more developed than the other? And thus can provide the say, needed for the other IEI? In this case, I think identical relations could likely be better than duality just in terms of complete understanding... PLUS the stronger one helping the weaker one develop.

Duality is also (IME) really hard to start. Over time, sure, it can become a great relationship, but getting past the early barriers is just too stressful for me. I prefer that instant "click" which usually happens with my identicals, especially if they are the same enneagram stacking!

Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romancing is a great verb.
    Isn't it ?

Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    What do you all think if one of the identicals is actually more developed than the other? And thus can provide the say, needed for the other IEI? In this case, I think identical relations could likely be better than duality just in terms of complete understanding... PLUS the stronger one helping the weaker one develop.
    This would seem extremely one-sided and therefore not satisfying or fulfilling to both people.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Duality is also (IME) really hard to start. Over time, sure, it can become a great relationship, but getting past the early barriers is just too stressful for me.
    This makes sense. I think it's important that the two people genuinely care about each other to be able to focus on trying to understand each other and enjoy the "psychological goodies" that this type of relationship can provide.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol actually thinking of this now makes me wanna try it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast