Thread: How does Fe actually work?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How does Fe actually work?

I guess I understand what type of information it processes, but I don't know how it gathers that information. Examination of outward appearance could be Se. Examination of behavior could be Te. What does Fe examine?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe examines [i]mood[/i]

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But how? What exactly are the indications of one's mood?
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vocal intonations, facial expressions, willingness to do things...
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....level of energy.....amount of humor......body language......level of activity

ILE

Creepy-bg

I don't think about it... I just do it. It's not like a process I can analyse or break down for you... I just know what people's moods are and the exact right things to do or say to change them into what I want them to be.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you change tcaudilllg's mood?

ILE

Creepy-bg

I've managed to do it before... I mellowed him out pretty quickly (I think?) when he was pissed at me for being frivolous in his threads. I deffinately know I can rile him up pretty good

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recreates another person's psychology in your head. (mirror neurons) Yeah, mirror neurons are I believe the primarily implementation of in the brain.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go do it again; his ass is clenching up pretty quick over our fun.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that could be somewhat difficult... he didn't mention that he gave me something in exchange. When was the last time you saw him interfering in my discussions? Not in a while.

I think he used with compensatory for that, actually. ...It's actually rather interesting: my view was that he submitted(?) to me, not the other way around. I suppose I had forced him to engage the transcendental function... or did we force each other...?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite your wussiness, you can definitely be an asshole when you don't try.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-bg

I don't know... I was being a dick and you got pissed and made me aware of it. I apologized and agreed to lay off... Tensions were eased and I no longer felt a need to harrass you. When I have a tense relationship with somebody I have a way of pushing things into a confrontation that ends with a better understanding and peaceful co-exhistance when all is said and done. I don't look at it as a matter of submission or whatever. I don't care about those things. I'll submit if it means things are better off... it's no hassle to me since I can easily blow it off and be a dick again if I feel like it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilly: Vocal intonations, facial expressions, willingness to do things...
    diamond8: ....level of energy.....amount of humor......body language......level of activity

True. All those matter. Imagine a perfect conversation with someone, and then they suddenly pause and look at thin air for no obvious reason. You try to figure out what could have caused the pause. You figure out what to say to make the conversation flowing again. If possible, you don't ignore the pause - you confront the issue behind the pause. Well, of course in reality, there are no perfect conversations, it's all just pause-twitch-"hmmm"-awkward silence-bad joke-subtle hint-dry cold voice-laughing at the wrong time- etc. Every moment is full of those signals. It's all Fe. Everyone uses Fe.

Fe dominants sense the atmosphere around them and give it a nudge to direct the mood. Try this in a classroom full of people: wait for a moment when everyone's still, then change your sitting position (from tense to relaxed or vice versa). Notice how there's a wave of movement suddenly. 2 seconds later, everyone's sitting still again because the group tension has past. That is Fe. That kind of tension is everywhere around us...

Ok, I'm bored with this post now and Fe is such a wide topic. I'm probably talking about the wrong thing anyway.
    (PS! see how I ended the post. This creates social tension. IRL, you would be obliged to tell me that (if) I was talking about the right thing. Fe. )
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    I don't know... I was being a dick and you got pissed and made me aware of it. I apologized and agreed to lay off... Tensions were eased and I no longer felt a need to harrass you. When I have a tense relationship with somebody I have a way of pushing things into a confrontation that ends with a better understanding and peaceful co-exhistance when all is said and done. I don't look at it as a matter of submission or whatever. I don't care about those things. I'll submit if it means things are better off... it's no hassle to me since I can easily blow it off and be a dick again if I feel like it.
    i dunno guys here we are talkin about dicks again, don't think we can leave it alone....

ILE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I have to add... Bionic, you're not seriously still saying you're alpha SF, are you? If people believe you, they'll start typing playful ENFps as ISFps (because ENFps are moralistic, not fun & playful ). You saying that you are alpha SF is as good as emo people typing themselves INTp, some forum members believing them and using those emo people as INTp type samples.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Creepy-bg

leave me alone

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    diamond8: ....level of energy.....amount of humor......body language......level of activity

True. All those matter. Imagine a perfect conversation with someone, and then they suddenly pause and look at thin air for no obvious reason. You try to figure out what could have caused the pause. You figure out what to say to make the conversation flowing again. If possible, you don't ignore the pause - you confront the issue behind the pause. Well, of course in reality, there are no perfect conversations, it's all just pause-twitch-"hmmm"-awkward silence-bad joke-subtle hint-dry cold voice-laughing at the wrong time- etc. Every moment is full of those signals. It's all Fe. Everyone uses Fe.

Fe dominants sense the atmosphere around them and give it a nudge to direct the mood. Try this in a classroom full of people: wait for a moment when everyone's still, then change your sitting position (from tense to relaxed or vice versa). Notice how there's a wave of movement suddenly. 2 seconds later, everyone's sitting still again because the group tension has past. That is Fe. That kind of tension is everywhere around us...

Ok, I'm bored with this post now and Fe is such a wide topic. I'm probably talking about the wrong thing anyway.
    (PS! see how I ended the post. This creates social tension. IRL, you would be obliged to tell me that (if) I was talking about the right thing. Fe. )
    This is a pretty good explanation for why some Fe dominants are uncomfortable with me. I do not respond when people fish for compliments or reassurance that way, and I often pause or stare away or fidget or look around for no reason. If someone wants to know why... I dunno, that just seems odd to me somehow.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, because fishing for compliments is TOTALLY Fe You never learn, do you, Joy?

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-bg

I never fish for compliments... they make me uncomfortable and I usually take them as veiled critisism or teasing harasment.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is what kristiina describing really reassurance, though? to me, it's more like creating a general atmosphere.

ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    Yeah, because fishing for compliments is TOTALLY Fe
    It's not exactly fishing for compliments. It's more like trying to establish warmth and familiarity, saying nice things to each other. That sort of thing is a form of kindness that is appreciated by Ti/Fe types because it has the ability to change the emotions of others or the emotional atmosphere.
    SEE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy

This is a pretty good explanation for why some Fe dominants are uncomfortable with me. I do not respond when people fish for compliments or reassurance that way, and I often pause or stare away or fidget or look around for no reason. If someone wants to know why... I dunno, that just seems odd to me somehow.
    You don't give Fe dominants enough credit. They have probably branded you as a person, who often pauses, stares away and fidgets. The reason being - it's just who you are. We don't discriminate and only hang out with people who sit perfectly still. I have Si PoLR, my physical emotion changes easily, without me noticing. It can be from twitching all of a sudden to becoming all tense because of a random thought. So why would I judge someone for being like that. And I didn't fish for a compliment, I wanted feedback that I'm not talking when no one's even interested. That's the worst thing. That's why I don't like talking with some people - they just don't give any feedback. That's why I've been posting so little for some time - I don't get feedback and talking without feedback is just not fun. It's downright frustrating. It's like saying something and everyone becoming all silent....
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kinda feedback are you looking for kristiina? and on what topic?

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not exactly fishing for compliments. It's more like trying to establish warmth and familiarity, saying nice things to each other. That sort of thing is a form of kindness that is appreciated by Ti/Fe types because it has the ability to change the emotions of others or the emotional atmosphere.
    Ok, then don't say fishing for compliments next time. Christ. Say what you mean.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not familiarity. I just want the perfect conversation and to avoid cold silence. Why would I have to endure bad conversations with everyone who is not my best friend since childhood. That would suck.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't give Fe dominants enough credit. They have probably branded you as a person, who often pauses, stares away and fidgets. The reason being - it's just who you are.
    Makes sense. I can see them trying to read me though, and it's uncomfortable. Depending on who it is, of course. I guess I just generally prefer to keep my emotions to myself.

We don't discriminate and only hang out with people who sit perfectly still. I have Si PoLR, my physical emotion changes easily, without me noticing. It can be from twitching all of a sudden to becoming all tense because of a random thought. So why would I judge someone for being like that.
    oic... makes sense considering ENTps are branded as a type who fidgets a lot.

I was just talking to someone last night about how I used to twirl a pen through my fingers a lot, but I stopped because people would get agitated with me, assuming I was disinterested in what they were saying or being impatient or not listening or whatever. Perhaps it's not type related.

And I didn't fish for a compliment, I wanted feedback that I'm not talking when no one's even interested. That's the worst thing. That's why I don't like talking with some people - they just don't give any feedback. That's why I've been posting so little for some time - I don't get feedback and talking without feedback is just not fun. It's downright frustrating. It's like saying something and everyone becoming all silent....
    Gotcha.
    SEE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    what kinda feedback are you looking for kristiina? and on what topic?
    nothing in particular. I just don't have any effect on the mood of the threads. It's not something that other people have to react to. It's just that... I don't adjust to the mood of the thread, I expect the thread to adjust to my mood, like it happens IRL in confortable situations.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i see what you are saying, it might be hard to influence moods electronically. but not impossible! i think shifting the mood on a thread might be a very here and now type of thing when multiple people are posting at the same time.

you've altered the mood of threads i've been on at different points. so yes do feel your "social value"! i'm thinking of one where transigent and i got into an argument about feminism or something, ha.

ILE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think shifting the mood on a thread might be a very here and now type of thing when multiple people are posting at the same time.
    Yeah, we kinda Alpha'd out a little bit ago

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think shifting the mood on a thread might be a very here and now type of thing when multiple people are posting at the same time.
    exactly! :-)

ILE

Creepy-bg

exactly! :-)
    good times

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDITED because people's attention spans are rapidly decaying:

Fe works the same way Te does (and you already know this), so with this in mind, what does Fe observe and monitor progress by observing, that Te does not?:

- Te observes: the flow (dynamics) of immaterial, but predictable and systematic entities; Predictable how? - in it's simplest form - supply and demand, pragmatics, finance, market analytics <- all of these behave in fairly predictible ways.

- Fe observes: the flow (dynamics) of immaterial, but observable and palpable emotional entities; observable how? - by external manifestations, as noted. Vocal intonations, facial expressions, willingness to do things, level of energy, amount (and type) of humor, body language, level of activity, etc.

Fe-people don't necessarily want to change the other person's internal feelings, but rather the "vibe" they get from that person. Trouble emerges when someone's external qualities do not offer sufficient clues to be properly observed, or when the external qualities are TOO MUCH allied with one's internal mood such that it becomes impossible to affect the former, without drastically altering the latter which can be quite intrusive.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the lecture...? o_O

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a lot of what I said was obvious and people claim they know it already, but unless I go from the very beginning and state everything explicilty, people take what I say the wrong way.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really think it's worth the time/pedantry trying to educate everyone who will read the thread?

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's worth a shot. I'd rather spend an extra five minutes typing out a few extra paragraphs than spend the next dozen posts in an argument with someone who misinterprets what I say. I don't really think I'm being all that pedantic, anyway. I was just trying to place Fe in the context of Te (as I see it) and other extraverted functions, because I thought that was what Joy had asked for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast