Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Isaac Asimov

Is Isaac Asimov?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_asimov

Something written by him:

What Is Intelligence, Anyway?
    Isaac Asimov

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I'd prove myself a moron, and I'd be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.

Consider my auto-repair man, again. He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. One time he raised his head from under the automobile hood to say: "Doc, a deaf-and-mute guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him a hammer. He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked out the sizes he wanted, and left. Well, doc, the next guy who came in was a blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them?"

Indulgently, I lifted by right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon my auto-repair man laughed raucously and said, "Why, you dumb jerk, He used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly, "I've been trying that on all my customers today." "Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few," he said, "but I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you're so goddamned educated, doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.
    http://www.haverford.edu/writingprogram/Asimov.html

Sorry if he was already typed somewhere.
    Last edited by silke; 06-19-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: updated links

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Isaac Asimov

Isaac Asimov

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=pySVYz4GfzE[/youtube]
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmSYCEMs-Kg[/youtube]

I can't hear anything still, due to being on a library computer with no headphones (I should be doing homework ), but hopefully the second one is in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess for the moment is LII or ILE, I'll think more about it.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    Hmm. In this picture he does look like a couple of suspected ILEs I know. It's hard to explain, but particularly around the eyes...

Here's a picture of one of the two I think he looks like:

And Luke Benward (of How to Eat Fried Worms fame) looks kind of like the three of them, though I can't find a good picture to reflect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has an incredible similarity to the guy in the middle. the guy is from an hbo comedy/music show called flight of the conchords-- which is really entertaining. anyway, the guy on the show is likely alpha nt.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In MBTI he was cited as an INTP I believe.

"PHAEDRUS!!!"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read a lot by, and about, Asimov in earlier ages -- not recently.

By all acounts, including his own, he was the kind of guy who easily becomes enraptured by any woman who shows any kind of interest, even friendly, in him, which made him a sort of "easygoing flirt"; and when talking about the future, he seemed to focus more on how technology would bring more comfort to one's daily life. All of that seems more Alpha than Gamma to me.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I've read a lot by, and about, Asimov in earlier ages -- not recently.

By all acounts, including his own, he was the kind of guy who easily becomes enraptured by any woman who shows any kind of interest, even friendly, in him, which made him a sort of "easygoing flirt"; and when talking about the future, he seemed to focus more on how technology would bring more comfort to one's daily life. All of that seems more Alpha than Gamma to me.
    This is just a flippant typing, but I would say LIE or ILI based on those videos. I see the stuff he's talking about as mainly +
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a strong opinion on Asimov's type other than that he is an NT. But I am inclined to agree with Rick here, and my impression of Asimov based on those videos is more towards LIE. I see his world view as strongly influenced, by the way.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably ILE-Ne. He V.I.s kind of similar to Karl Marx and a few other ILE-Ne whose names I can't think of. Compared to ILE-Ti, I really find him kind of boring. A lot of ILE-Ti are mistaken for ILE-Ne and the fact that most ILE-Ti are female makes it so that most people don't identify so many people by what their real type is.

Only other type for I could think of would be EIE-Fe. He has the big lips and EIE-Fe's writings can look highly static, in bits like LSI-Se's things are for example.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTp - Very smart and knows it, no sense of interpersonal morals (from my perspective), very imaginative in a logical way
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    ENTp - Very smart and knows it, no sense of interpersonal morals (from my perspective), very imaginative in a logical way
    I think my logic is fair <3
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    I think my logic is fair <3
    Perhaps you have focused your thinking prowess on different things than he did. I had his cheating and compulsive aggressive groping of women in mind, which you don't seem the type of person to do. Not that gropers have a socionics type, but the way he processed and excused what he did comes across in a particularly Fi-PoLR kind of way.

It's perfectly possible to be an extremely moral and good person AND be Fi-PoLR. Related, you can be Fi-base and an awful human.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.