Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma Music

The Smiths
    Kate Bush
    Scott Joplin (whoah! check out his pix online - was he an INTp making ESFp music?!?)

[hr:e824ca399c]

Please also feel free to comment on what would make gamma music, gamma.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I produce music. Does that make it gamma?

Sorry. Seriously though, it tends to be of a dark and/or spiritual nature. I'm not sure whether that's just an individual thing or a quadra thing.. I'll wait and see what others suggest first.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of Hip-Hop, yo!
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The music itself varies, but the reason for playing music remains fairly constant: it must flesh out the current mood and never distract from it. I have never in my life said I feel x, therefore I will play music to make me feel y!" As a result, I suppose the majority of my music is a little unsettling to most people. Often it's "dark." i tend to like desperate / childlike vocals, if vocals exist. I like nontraditional structure / instrumentation. Often there's a noticable absense of resolution -- notes that just remain suspended in thick air, dissonance to the point of aural meltdown/hypnosis, strange unidentifiable sounds from nature. I especially like ambient for the usual calm which is held up the tension rod of almost-present anxiety. i also am prone to repeat a song for hours if it is the "right" one. i am a music snob, they say. so i tend to keep it to myself.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first two on the list seems more like Beta.
    Achtung Baby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there such a thing as music being of/for a certain type/quadra?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    Is there such a thing as music being of/for a certain type/quadra?
    But of course!

The Beatles

ESFp - Paul McCartney
    INTp - George Harrison
    ENTj - John Lennon
    ISFj - Ringo Starr

Need I say more? :wink:

Is this not stunning!? Will not a bunch of hooligan kids all over the globe now begin working on confirming their socionics types in order to form quadra bands to channel some kind of cosmic hoolagaboo through their sonic collaborations?!

hee hee

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astralsilky View Post
    But of course!

The Beatles

ESFp - Paul McCartney
    INTp - George Harrison
    ENTj - John Lennon
    ISFj - Ringo Starr

Need I say more? :wink:

Is this not stunning!? Will not a bunch of hooligan kids all over the globe now begin working on confirming their socionics types in order to form quadra bands to channel some kind of cosmic hoolagaboo through their sonic collaborations?!

hee hee
    I'm back 11 years later. My typings have changed a bit. George Harrison I know understand to be ILE among many other new insights. I promise this was not a disinformation campaign, so please go easy if you see an old post of mine like this and see a discrepancy compared to my postings now.

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astralsilky View Post
    But of course!

The Beatles

ESFp - Paul McCartney
    INTp - George Harrison
    ENTj - John Lennon
    ISFj - Ringo Starr
    There are a lot of people who believe the Beatles are Gamma, however I believe a lot of their music is too happy and harmonious—particularly their earlier music. Back in the 60s, there was a definite dichotomy: you were either a “Beatles person” or a “Stones person”. The perception was that the Beatles and their fans “toed the line” and put forth at least an effort towards presenting respectable outward appearances. In contrast, the Rolling Stones were immediately feared as a sign of society’s decline into debauchery. In reality, I don’t believe this was necessarily a fact, however the Rolling Stones definitely fared better, in that societal expectations for them were so much lower as a result. When members of the Rolling Stones got arrested (multiple times) for drug offenses, society had expected that of them all along, and therefore they were not knocked off of any pedestal and could therefore take it more in stride. In contrast, the Beatles desperately searched for inner meaning amongst all of the superficiality of their heretofore unprecedented fame. They turned to the Maharishi, eastern religion, and in Lennon‘s case eventually to heroin. That is what makes me believe that perhaps Lennon could have possibly been Gamma, because once he found himself trapped in the artificial world that is fame, that led him to self-destruct by locking himself away in a NYC apartment with Yoko to try and achieve authenticity through isolation in order to block out the intrusion of the press and fans. So utterly tragic, that eventually he was gunned down by a fan—even though he had desperately tried to inundate himself in anonymity by living in New York City—his very worst fears realized.

Personally, I think that the Rolling Stones possess a “cut out the bullshit” real-life vulnerability that is the cornerstone of Gamma. Their music is intentionally rough around the edges, thereby placing the emphasis more on its authentic “feel” than its outer polished appearance. In contrast, The Beatles “she loves you ya ya ya and with a love like that you know you should be glad” seems a little more Alpha to me—where everything is just peachy keen and sunny. As a Gamma, I personally despise all of those “happy songs”. I have more respect for lyrics that tell it like it REALLY is (ie. like how Pink Floyd single-handedly brought awareness to mental health issues/schizophrenia in an artful way with The Wall). It’s harsh, but it’s REAL. I’m not claiming necessarily that each (or any) musician in the Rolling Stones is Gamma (although I do believe that Mick Jagger is LIE)…just that their type of music is.

The very first lyrics that Mick Jagger & and Keith Richards wrote together (after being locked in a room together until they “came out with a song” by their manager Andrew Oldham), contains from the outset a dark authentic sadness, which in my opinion is very Gamma: “I sit and watch the children play. Smiling faces I can see, but not for me. I sit and watch as tears go by”. Ya, because the happy smiley faces are for the Alphas. The Rolling Stones, while English, were inspired by blues music from the American South—John Lee Hooker, Chuck Berry, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters—and a lot of the messages inherent in THAT genre of music IMO, is distinctly Fi—once again valuing inner authenticity over outer polish.

Contrast lyrics from the Stones’ Street Fighting Man to standard Beatles fare such as I Want to Hold Your Hand: “‘Cause summer’s here and the time is right for fighting in the street boy But what can a poor boy do ‘cept to sing for a rock ‘n’ roll band, ‘cause in sleepy London town there’s just no place for a street fightin’ man”. The down and out seediness of Honky Tonk Woman, and Tumbling Dice…. damn it’s REAL and NOT superficial and happy.

https://youtu.be/J1EWf6O77jE

The music’s rawness prompts one to shake off their pretences, and embrace life’s good, bad & ugly. Wakin’ up rough, (in the 70,s & 80’s that would also include lighting a smoke, & putting on Morrison’s “well I woke this morning and I got myself a beer…the future’s uncertain and the end is always near”). It’s common to put down the past eras’ faults of liquor, LSD and cigarettes, yet is today’s vaping, meth and oxy really an improvement?The Stones’ music acknowledges that life is harsh…yet their music can nonetheless evoke if not happiness, then at least acceptance despite the hardships. Personally for me, music provides a direct conduit to Fi—safe, controllable connections to feelings. This brings to mind the message I left at Morrison’s grave at Pere Lachaise: “For the music is your special friend—dance on fire as it intends, music is your only friend, until the end.” That’s a little bit dark, however it brings me enjoyment for its common truth.

In my opinion, Gamma music has to contain some element of vulnerable self disclosure that everyone can relate to, thereby establishing the common ground from which all of us feel safe to lay down our swords and admit that life is fucked, life is hard…yet nonetheless there can still be joy. That is why I believe that Eminem is Gamma ESI—the elements of his music reveal his vulnerability, while simultaneously creating humour from it. This is irresistible to capture Fi valuers. In Without Me, he contrasts his stormy pissed off and authentic personal Fi lyrics (“Fuck you DEBBIE”—after winning his lawsuit) against an ironically upbeat and sunny Alpha musical backdrop: “A-tisket a-taskit I’ll go tit-for-tat with anybody who’s talking this shit…” I also think Eminem very often uses double entendre wordplay—which also seems in my opinion to be very Gamma. One of the most deep down joys I get is when I write a message that utilizes a word conveying two differing meanings in a naughty or clever sense. I also noticed that other Gamma members of this forum like to use the letters from their socionics type in their name. Not sure if there are members from other quadras who also do this?

https://youtu.be/ZbytR2avo-0

Same with Kanye West. Even though I face palm hardily (and take Taylor Swift’s side,) every time I watch him interrupt her VMA acceptance speech, I believe that in HIS opinion, it was his way of being chivalrous and standing up for Beyoncé. Therefore I think he is SEE because he meant well, but didn’t foresee the “big picture” ie. the overall consequences of his bitchy actions. I am NO fan of the Kardashians, but I give props to Kim for treating Kanye‘s bipolar mental health issues respectfully and standing by him as much as she did. His song “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” sounds very Gamma IMO. He’s telling it like it is—the good, bad and ugly—and FFS he has a point.

https://youtu.be/Nq6SwPHsi_M

I guess in essence, other quadras may gain joy and pleasure from “happy music” about a “sunshiney day” or “looking so fine”….. but for Gammas that is not enough. We require full psychological satisfaction and validation that comes only from hearing someone have the balls to say something distasteful, yet true…so that we can then relax and get behind them saying “yeah that’s fucking right!”
    Last edited by ENJoymENT; 08-11-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    Often it's "dark." i tend to like desperate / childlike vocals, if vocals exist. I like nontraditional structure / instrumentation. Often there's a noticable absense of resolution -- notes that just remain suspended in thick air, dissonance to the point of aural meltdown/hypnosis, strange unidentifiable sounds from nature. I especially like ambient for the usual calm which is held up the tension rod of almost-present anxiety. i also am prone to repeat a song for hours if it is the "right" one. i am a music snob, they say. so i tend to keep it to myself.
    So in other words, you like Mum ...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astralsilky
    ISFj - Ringo Starr
    I think he was more likely Si-dominant. It seems like he didn't get along that well with the other Beatles, and he was the last to join the group.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think John Lennon is a pretty clear ENFj, and I think the Beatles is a fairly Fe-laden band.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tchaikovsky.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for me, lately i've been listening to a lot of invert.

http://www.invertmusic.org/

http://cdbaby.com/cd/invert3

these guys are my favorite new thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gamma doesn't make much good music. Alpha/beta make good music.

I found a good one: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.
    try 'where have all the rudeboys gone?'
    asd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front 242 seems pretty Gamma to me. ESI.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    Tchaikovsky.
    Tchaikovsky seems pretty Fe to me.

For possible Gamma classical composers, try:

Borodin
    Shostakovitch
    Mendelssohn
    Saint-Saens
    Liszt
    Schubert

You guess the types.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Tchaikovsky seems pretty Fe to me.

For possible Gamma classical composers, try:

Borodin
    Shostakovitch
    Mendelssohn
    Saint-Saens
    Liszt
    Schubert

You guess the types.
    Though I've never carefully went through and tried to type all the classical composers, Schubert is beta or alpha being basically "the 1800s Paul McCartney" as I've heard him called before, and Liszt is one of the most beta people in existence along with Wagner and Strauss.

Then, I can't even figure out what gamma would refer to other than soulless corporate schlock. Mendelssohn is perfectly likely to be gamma, as are most of those other people. Mendelssohn was the guy who made Bach popular after many centuries of Bach being a nobody, and tried to lock Wagner out of composing because he didn't like Wagner's music which caused Wagner to start being sort of mildly Antisemitic despite the fact he didn't think all Jews were like that. If we're just going to say bad composers are gamma that doesn't help the "gammas have bad music and they're all corporate drones" image. (Though I don't think self-typed gammas here are corporate drones with bad taste in music.) But, people tend to really hate gamma even more than beta because of the corporate drone image, and music in general seeming like an Fe/Ni or Fe/Si affair doesn't help that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend some songs of an ILI artist called Steven Wilson:

[Piano Lessons - Porcupine Tree]

It talks about the struggle of Steven for making his dreams happen facing the limits that his mentor and the music industry are trying to set on him. His potential is understimated and his integrity challenged. Is the Complex of Tied Hands condensed in a song. He has an album called "Stupid Dream", you can imagine the core topic of the work.

"You'd better give up hoping. You're better off in bed", "Credit me with some intelligence...".

[Arriving Somewhere but Not Here - Porcupine Tree]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbWhpfXisZw
    In some parts of the lyrics it is described the pain of seeing how your dreams are shattered while the only thing you can do is to look and wait for your death. I don't understand the story of the album, I only know it is about ghosts.

What ILIs think when the plane is falling: "All my designs simplified. And all of my plans compromised. All of my dreams sacrificed".

[Time Flies - Porcupine Tree]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJB...=PorcupineTree
    An invitation to take every opportunity life gives you and a regret for all those who were lost and took you to a different course.

"She said: "Luck is all you make it, you just reach and take it, now let's dance a while".

[Sleep of No Dreaming - Porcupine Tree]

It could be about the young Steven's fear of living in his dream thinking his sacrifice doesn't compensate satisfaction he feels for it. Or could be about living a life devoid of dreams, being a conformist which is almost the same as being dead. Or I don't understand metaphors.

Haha, how convenient! Literally a woman with her hands tied.

[Hatesong - Porcupine Tree]

Some Gamma sincere despise.

[Permanating - Steven Wilson]

A more mature Steven Wilson, with a more developed Se.

Take your time, don't make it a chore. One song of this list per day is fine.
    Last edited by HeInin; 11-17-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    gamma doesn't make much good music. Alpha/beta make good music.
    You could be right. I've had a hard time thinking up contributions for this thread.

[hr:7b1639b70b]

The cocktail parlor/lounge music genre seems most ESFp to me, for some reason - especially the modern electronica forms.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daft Punk

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2ktH-iSxg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=fx5Jlap6uZY&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linkin Park are my favourite band at the moment.

A bit old now, but I also really like this song:

Silver Chair: Anthem for the Year 2000.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTM5cDIESrY[/youtube]
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astralsilky
    Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    Often it's "dark." i tend to like desperate / childlike vocals, if vocals exist. I like nontraditional structure / instrumentation. Often there's a noticable absense of resolution -- notes that just remain suspended in thick air, dissonance to the point of aural meltdown/hypnosis, strange unidentifiable sounds from nature. I especially like ambient for the usual calm which is held up the tension rod of almost-present anxiety. i also am prone to repeat a song for hours if it is the "right" one. i am a music snob, they say. so i tend to keep it to myself.
    So in other words, you like Mum ...
    very good. feeling suddenly exposed.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma music

Which bands, songs would you consider to by typical of Gamma? I would say Tool... Anything else that comes to your mind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tool sux ;-)
    What is your favorite beer ? An open one

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't like Tool.

I'd say Aphex Twin, System of a Down, and my music (click my sig, listen my tracks under "Proton")
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like heavy metal. Heavy metal must be gamma now.
    5w4 so/sx

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson View Post
    The most influential band to modern metal Venom is a "gamma-band", what other band is even responsible of creating 3 music genres. Cronos is ESFp and Mantas is most likely INTp.

As seen from this interview, Cronos (on the right) is pretty obvious ESFp, the other guy is Abaddon:

...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't listen to music much.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    heavy metal = SLE = Beta

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk for myself and a few SEE.

House music, preferable hardstyle / hardcore

But I don't think music is type or quadra related b.t.w.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My music is pretty random. Many of the songs I like (or have liked) merely because they amused me.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like melodies more then songtext.

I dislike alternative rock, slow rock

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I like melodies more then songtext.

I dislike alternative rock, slow rock
    Me too but strong lyrics is also important for the songs which really give me energy.

But there have been too many times where the song text is absolutely nonsense and I ever disagree, but I keep listening because the bass is strong and the song gives me energy.

I also hate pop and rap music lyrics where some dude is constantly shouting in my ear about how much he likes some chick's butt or something like that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also think music isn't type or quadra-related but i'd say hip-hop is gamma talking about hoes, ice, money, drugs, coming from the ghetto, and getting shot
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    i also think music isn't type or quadra-related but i'd say hip-hop is gamma talking about hoes, ice, money, drugs, coming from the ghetto, and getting shot
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc
    Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    heavy metal = SLE = Beta
    But I'm gamma. And I like heavy metal. You make baby gamma cry . Meanie.
    5w4 so/sx

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnatatham A Sharp Minor with Two Chord Harmony

Does it matter if a piece of music is Gamma or not?
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maynard is an INFJ; and of the few gammas I've asked about tool, none of them replied they particularly liked them.. they thought it was "alright".. etc. I like a few of their songs, but they aren't my favorite band by a long shot; and some people become particularly obsessed with them.. INTjs I've known especially.
    The white stripes is led by an ISFj Jack White. The beatles are all gamma (other then ringo, who doesn't really contribute). Jim Morrison of the doors is ILI. Bob dylan is an ISFj.
    Our music is pitch oriented, and rhythm remains irregular and non repetitive. We don't like... beat music, or like... music which centers around the repetition of a particular riff. Easily it becomes bored. Or music in which the climax is a rhythmic perception. Instead, rhythm and pitch are one and must compliment eachother. Delta also likes pitch oriented music.. but rhythmic repetition is fine with them. I think Fi behaves this way- an affinity toward a climax of pitch.
    All this according to my subjective perception

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing i'm curious about -- why is the beatles a gamma band? are they considered "gamma music"? i've heard this at least once from username Cone (with john lennon as ENTj, right?) i find it really odd. i'm currently of the opinion that gamma don't really make music and that gamma bands are hard to find.

i also am not entirely sure i buy maynard j keenan as an INFj, no opinion on the others.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDDnuZAL9ps[/youtube]

reposting the (disturbing!) Te video.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast