Thread: could this trait of mine be indicative of my type?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default could this trait of mine be indicative of my type?

I have the hardest time explaining myself. Explaining that 'essence' of myself that others easily pick up on and understand. I can explain my actions and plans thouroughly. But when I do deep thinking on who I am as a person I draw a blank. This could include my potential, my relationships, my past, future, etc. I question all of these thouroughly. I don't question my ability to think accurately and draw conclusions based on facts. If I were to study a human organ I would have no trouble explaning all the tissues and their function, and from this, I could easily learn how this organ affects other organs I've studied. As long as the object I study is based in reality I have no problem following along.

But if I'm faced with the quesiton-- What kind of guy are you? I'm fucking lost. I don't think i'm super-original and impervious to categorization, but this whole concept seems alien to me. I shrug off compliments. If someone tells me I'm good at something I get uncomfortable unless I thouroughly believe I am good at it. I know one person who really enjoys talking about people's talents and abilities. She seems obsessed by asking me what I am doing with my life as far as career, and development. She does it jokingly because she knows the subject is one I prefer to avoid. She says, "So are you going to be a scientist? etc etc etc" and I'm really not bothered by her assertions and suggestions. But with almost anyone else I don't like the issue to come up. I think plenty of people suffer from this problem, especially at my age, but my cases is exaggerated in comparison. I'm really blown away by people who seem really set on what 'kind' of person they are, not because I'm desperate to be a kind of person, but because that sort of thinking is impossible to me. I do whatever I want regardless of whether or not it reflects a stereotype.

anyhow, could this be related to my type?

sorry if i keep bringing up the issue.
    asd

Creepy-bg

you are obviously psychotic... get help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally identify. I too am unable to address such things, but for me it's because I use myself as a reference point. Being that I always look from the origin, myself, I can't actually see the origin, myself, so my qualities are effectively nonexistent (Arbitrary). The only time they show up, I'm aware of them, is when they're reflected back at me. And even then sometimes I wonder about the quality of the reflected image "Is that reeeeeally how I am?" and sometimes I bluntly refuse it "That's nothing like me!".

In any case, I think it just means that you have an introvert function as dominant.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...scientist...
    ...introvert...

that narrows it down a bit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here are some types I have observed to act the same way you have described in this thread

ESTj
    INFp
    ESTp
    ISTj

Here are some types that do not act that way (whether they are accurate in their self assessment or not)

ENFp
    ISFp
    INxj

I don't think it has only to do with introversion.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were discussing this earlier, this is a characteristic of Ni dominance. Combine that with weak Fi ("What kind of guy are you?") and we get what you're talking about.

I don't question my ability to think accurately and draw conclusions based on facts.
    Strong logic, obviously. Probably Te > Ti.

I do whatever I want regardless of whether or not it reflects a stereotype.
    This tells me that you don't value Ti, rejecting direct categorization.

INTp.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    We were discussing this earlier, this is a characteristic of Ni dominance. Combine that with weak Fi ("What kind of guy are you?") and we get what you're talking about.
    disagree completely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    disagree completely.
    Tough.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disagree completely.
    Elaborate?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: could this trait of mine be indicative of my type?

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    I have the hardest time explaining myself.
    if this is all you look at, yes, this describes Ni fairly well.

look a little bit further.

But when I do deep thinking on who I am as a person I draw a blank. This could include my potential, my relationships, my past, future, etc.

[...]

But if I'm faced with the quesiton-- What kind of guy are you? I'm fucking lost.
    this is exactly the sort of thing that Ni is extremely good at.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. What type do you think heath is?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think SLI is a perfectly reasonable diagnosis, although i wouldn't balk at LSE.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think SLI is a perfectly reasonable diagnosis, although i wouldn't balk at LSE.
    ok, ISTp could work. I see what you mean about the weak Ni. I forgot that in that thread I also pointed out that Si-dominants have a similar problem with expressing themselves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'm going to leave the matter unsettled. I appreciate this forum and the people who use it.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't catch whether you like her pointing out your talents or not. If you do like it, it would suggest dual seeking Ne (Ne + Fi even), which would point to SLI. If not, it would point away from that.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.