Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: preferred topics of conversation

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default preferred topics of conversation

what sorts of types of conversations to types (and you people in particular) tend to engage in? what subjects are discussed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now i'm generally interested in learning peoples political ideas and opinions on current events. but 70% of people are annoyed when asked to think critically about anything.

i like to find out what people's passions are, that's always a fun thing to talk about, and try to connect with them about.
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I end up talking about the other person's life more often than not. When we're done with that, I mostly talk about:

- sex
    - past events/other people
    - movies
    - health
    - music
    - politics
    - emerging innovations in science/technology
    - TV
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I end up talking about the other person's life more often than not. When we're done with that, I mostly talk about:

- sex
    - past events/other people
    - movies
    - health
    - music
    - politics
    - TV
    I pretty much agree with this list as well... although in a different order (not that Baby's saying there's an order to this list)

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's in a random order, lol. Although, given the choice, I'd actually talk a lot more about music, heh.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Creepy-bg

I probably talk about TV most of all but it's more like the other stuff on that list that I saw on TV... Also there's drugs but that might fall under past events/other people.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our families
    Politics
    Events, things to do
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby, that's a very inclusive list! Though I personally almost never talk about sex or health (health??).

I dislike most political discussion, because it usually becomes polarized. But it can be interesting sometimes.

Mostly I like talking about this:

-movies/music/TV and the like
    An ENTp friend of mine and I can talk about almost anything, including socionics, the future, and the postmodern condition.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, on health, I tend to ask after people's physical well-being a lot - eating, drinking and drugging, exercise stuff like that. Also there's the ubiquitous "I'm so fucking tired/hung over/depressed/sick/stoned/etc." because... well, it's college.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, there's always the "life sucks" topic.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure how to answer.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

politics
    religion/values/principles/morals (usually related to events in the news)
    those everyday topics (work/school - more toward future plans)
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Particular aspects of people and how they relate to a general aspect of people in general(this is person is this way, which means that...)
    Science, technology
    Philosophy
    Health(really into staying fit/physically capable)
    My problems with close individuals(with actual feedback, not just pitying)
    I like to just bullshit a lot and shoot the breeze, too.

I like to talk politics in terms of the concepts in politics(discussing ideologies, the veracity of certain worldviews.) I suppose I find attaining a relevant worldview more important than analyzing current political affairs with an incomplete one.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philosophy
    Science/sci-fi ish topics
    Current events (nationally/internationally)
    Absurdity/Humor
    Other people (their past or their take on things)

Pretty much in that order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex
    Politics
    Technology
    Sports
    Music
    Nonsense

The 1st and 5th choices are what occupies 90 percent of my conversations. I don't like talking about "current events-news".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends really

i like science, philosophy, technology, friends, relations, family, entertainment(as a last resort), events

My friends and I don't talk much about superficial things.
    asd

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk about what other people want to talk about. I don't have any preferred topic. :wink:
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

delete

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love talking about people in general. I enjoy asking my friends what's going on with their lives right now, how their families are getting on at the moment, how are other friends and acquiantances doing at the moment etc, not the gossip- or rumors-type of talk.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    I love talking about people in general. I enjoy asking my friends what's going on with their lives right now, how their families are getting on at the moment, how are other friends and acquiantances doing at the moment etc, not the gossip- or rumors-type of talk.
    Hmm. I guess everyone talks about how they're doing.
    But that's something I don't often ask, unless the topic is brought up.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    I never talk about that and if a person goes in that direction I quickly change the subject. I really don't want to know how another person is doing, it's their life, their responsibility and I don't want to invade their privacy (And vice versa). Normally I avoid talking about personal matters. My preferred topics of conversation are analyzing (Correcting, expanding upon, refining) other people's ramblings. I could do that endlessly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can handle a little bit of small talk now and again, but apart from that, I'll talk about anything provided I know something about it. I tend to talk about myself more often than not, I find. Usually about my opinions or experiences relating to the subject matter.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    I never talk about that and if a person goes in that direction I quickly change the subject. I really don't want to know how another person is doing, it's their life, their responsibility and I don't want to invade their privacy (And vice versa). Normally I avoid talking about personal matters. My preferred topics of conversation are analyzing (Correcting, expanding upon, refining) other people's ramblings. I could do that endlessly.
    I myself dislike intruding upon other people's lives. If they freely mention notable episodes then yes I can start asking questions, but doing otherwise would feel like an infringment of the other's privacy (I know I hate when other people ask me what I have done during my free time, and I usually lie about it even if there is no reason to).

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like talking about stuff like politics, religions, nor any "formalized" stuff like science, past philosophers, etc.
    I also don't like talking about famous people past nor present.

I do like talking about fictional characters, their motivations, their actions, the repercusions of their actions, the affects of their actions..and what affected their reaction, etc.
    I also love talking to a person about their own motivations, actions, what they've done, what they want to do, how they intend to do it, what they hope to gain from it, what potential consequences are they taking effort to avoid, what other aspects are involved in their pursuit, who/what they themselves affect, and such things like that.

When a friend comes to me and discuss a problem they are having, particularly with someone else, I find myself asking a ton of questions as I try to get an idea of just how a conversation went, who responded to what, how they responded, etc. I'm always on the lookout for what aspects of whatever this person may have missed that might be able to help them work through their problem if they but knew of it.

I'll also share stories of my own or of someone I know that may provide information to this person that could aide them. I try to avoid direct out and out things like "you should x, y, z". I hate those types of "advice" because most of the time their too flippin obvious that they've already been tried and didn't work. That type of advice is also the majority of the time NOT taylored to the individual the advice is being given to. But if I give a story of what someone else (or myself) have done to solve the problem, then the person who came to me is aware of other options available to them in their search for a resolution.

I also seem to share stories that align with whatever story the other person is telling me. Unfortunately, in this matter, I tend to interrupt the other person's story to tell my own. Most of the time the story I share is almost action for action the story the other person was in the process of telling me. Most of the time this seems to help them feel as if they are not alone, that someone else has been through it, or that someone else understands the issues they are facing. Most of the time after i share story like that, the person and I can get directly into "analyzing" what actions and reactions occurred, how to avoid them in the future, what aspects are involved that affected the situation, etc. Basically, most of the times it seems to take us from the bitching/complaining part to the problem resolution part. Notice that I constantly said "most of the time". This doesn't always happen, obviously. And I'm still trying to figure out the times with it's likely to "work" from when it's not likely to "work". The problem is, irl I find myself blurting out something before i know what i'm about to blurt out (i'm hearing it for the first time just like my listener is hearing it for the first time). So any analyzing or efforts are after-I-speak, not before.

But the conversations I love, are the ones where someone is telling me something that they are positively excited over, whether it be the final results and the problem is solved, or that the girl they're totally interested in is coming over to spend time with them, or the hobby that they are positively obsessed about, etc. I love to hear those positive stories (even if the conversation is short and I have absolutely no input in it).
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    I do like talking about fictional characters, their motivations, their actions, the repercusions of their actions, the affects of their actions..and what affected their reaction, etc.
    I also love talking to a person about their own motivations, actions, what they've done, what they want to do, how they intend to do it, what they hope to gain from it, what potential consequences are they taking effort to avoid, what other aspects are involved in their pursuit, who/what they themselves affect, and such things like that.
    Agree with this.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids (including school, sports, church, social activities, summer plans and parenting strategies--there's always something new going on with the kids. I like to talk to parents with kids who are older than mine to get their perspective and wisdom)
    gardening
    artistic pursuits (photography, dyeing, spinning, designing)
    music
    TV/movies
    relationships (friends, husband, parents, brother, kids, in-laws--how they are, how I interact with them, what their motivations are and reactions, etc.)
    stories from my past or listen to stories from someone else's past

Laughing is the best. I avoid sad conversations or too much seriousness. Although when I was in college I thought of myself as being someone who liked serious discussions and philosophy. Hmm.

I guess what I value more than anything else in a conversation, no matter what the topic, is genuine interest. There's nothing I appreciate more than someone sharing their time just to laugh and have fun OR be serious and talk about anything the other person wants to talk about. Especially at my age when people have so many responsibilities and seem to be rushing around with no time to spare.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids (including school, sports, church, social activities, summer plans and parenting strategies--there's always something new going on with the kids. I like to talk to parents with kids who are older than mine to get their perspective and wisdom)
    gardening
    artistic pursuits (photography, dyeing, spinning, designing)
    music
    TV/movies
    relationships (friends, husband, parents, brother, kids, in-laws--how they are, how I interact with them, what their motivations are and reactions, etc.)
    stories from my past or listen to stories from someone else's past

Laughing is the best. I avoid sad conversations or too much seriousness. Although when I was in college I thought of myself as being someone who liked serious discussions and philosophy. Hmm.

I guess what I value more than anything else in a conversation, no matter what the topic, is genuine interest. There's nothing I appreciate more than someone sharing their time just to laugh and have fun OR be serious and talk about anything the other person wants to talk about. Especially at my age when people have so many responsibilities and seem to be rushing around with no time to spare.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Sex
    Politics
    Technology
    Sports
    Music
    Nonsense

The 1st and 5th choices are what occupies 90 percent of my conversations. I don't like talking about "current events-news".
    haha, the same could be said of me... except for me it would be a mix of technology and sports instead of music.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Sex
    Politics
    Technology
    Sports
    Music
    Nonsense

haha, the same could be said of me... except for me it would be a mix of technology and sports instead of music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked this about my wife and she said (in no particular order)...

Global and local news and politics
    Personality types
    "Risks" and "threats" future might hold for us and to which we should prepare for
    Health and nutrition topics
    "Every day matters" (e.g. our child related topics, our home related topics, our finances related topics, what practical things we need to take care of in short and long term future etc.).

That's pretty much everything I talk about apparently

With some people I can also talk about sports but my wife is not too interested in that topic.

What does this mean type-wise? Which of you can relate to this list if any?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global and local news and politics
    Personality types
    "Risks" and "threats" future might hold for us and to which we should prepare for
    Health and nutrition topics
    "Every day matters" (e.g. our child related topics, our home related topics, our finances related topics, what practical things we need to take care of in short and long term future etc.).

That's pretty much everything I talk about apparently

With some people I can also talk about sports but my wife is not too interested in that topic.

What does this mean type-wise? Which of you can relate to this list if any?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Why do you need to ask your wife that? It's a serious question. It would never occur to ask someone else what my preferred topics of conversations are.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Why do you need to ask your wife that? It's a serious question. It would never occur to ask someone else what my preferred topics of conversations are.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

relationships

kids and family

friends and their lives

sex

TV/Movies/Arts

philosophy and spirituality (with certain people)

laughing about anything and everything

hobbies

fashion

don't like talking about politics, current events, investing, money, etc

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

relationships

kids and family

friends and their lives

sex

TV/Movies/Arts

philosophy and spirituality (with certain people)

laughing about anything and everything

hobbies

fashion

don't like talking about politics, current events, investing, money, etc

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It disturbs me that so many people talk about sex.

Is this like,

1. "How is the sex with your hubby?"

2. "Aw that's great you and your boyfriend had sex. You are so in love."

3. "How does the orgasm feel?"

4. "Hm, the optimum angle for penetration in the doggy style position is...."

my preferred topics

philosophy, psychology, nature, books, movies, hobbies, science, music, art

-relationships but only with a few people and rarely about specific people in my life. it would be more about how they suck in general or about drawing parallels between them.

-religion, but don't discuss it with most because it is highly charged for me and i tend to offend.

-how people really are versus how they appear

-realizations

the default (and possibly the most comfortable area for most people i encounter) is random observations which spin into conversations -
    "the lady over there looks like my 3rd grade teacher."
    "ah, who did you have?"
    "mrs. garver."
    "did you like her?"
    "sort of. she liked me though. i used to wish she were my mother."
    "seriously?"
    "well my mother and i didn't get along."

you get the idea. i really don't like to talk about illness. if somebody tells me theirs, i'm not sure how to react. and if i tell somebody mine, i feel attention-seeking.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this like,

my preferred topics

philosophy, psychology, nature, books, movies, hobbies, science, music, art

-relationships but only with a few people and rarely about specific people in my life. it would be more about how they suck in general or about drawing parallels between them.

-religion, but don't discuss it with most because it is highly charged for me and i tend to offend.

-how people really are versus how they appear

-realizations

the default (and possibly the most comfortable area for most people i encounter) is random observations which spin into conversations -
    "the lady over there looks like my 3rd grade teacher."
    "ah, who did you have?"
    "mrs. garver."
    "did you like her?"
    "sort of. she liked me though. i used to wish she were my mother."
    "seriously?"
    "well my mother and i didn't get along."

you get the idea. i really don't like to talk about illness. if somebody tells me theirs, i'm not sure how to react. and if i tell somebody mine, i feel attention-seeking.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa

Is this like,

Obviously not. It's more on the lines of banter, not technicalities.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa

Is this like,

Obviously not. It's more on the lines of banter, not technicalities.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly listen... but my topics are, in no particular preference, movies, TV, music, sex, food, drink, video games, hotties, the occasional interesting breaking news, my new toys, mocking at the state of the universe, my or other ppls wackness, some sports, other mindless things of interest like those on the list.

I very occasionally talk seriously about the state of the universe (I’d either have to be very upset about something or just in a strange philosophical mood), politics doesn’t really catch my interest unless it’s something of my immediate concern, I don’t like gossip, I don’t evilly mock ppl, I don’t really talk about the supernatural, and I try my best to avoid religious topics (I dunno why it is every time I read or hear the word “religion”, “God” and “Jesus” (if not used as an expression), and a couple of other words related to that subject, I feel like: *cringes* *mutters nasty things*).
    9w1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast