Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bazan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

science as magic swears he is ISFp but come on, look at him compared to username Grek0.

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is isfp.

have you ever seen him live? are you just insane?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDxUP9Lm5hA[/youtube]

how is THAT intp? wtf?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    he is isfp.

i haven't! i'm not basing my typing on extensive knowledge of him.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that avatar is disgusting.

Creepy-bg

lol it's not that bad... I saw Hugo post much worse

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    lol it's not that bad... I saw Hugo post much worse

markedly average.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TaxZgYiss[/youtube]

David Bazan | The Man In Me

i still like this. i could buy him being a sort of Bionicgoatish ISFp or something, provided that he's ISFp. i am just not so familiar with male ISFps (i know more male ESFjs) and they always just seem too "chilled out" or something to me. also, they always just seem like "dudes" to me a lot of the time.

and yes, i agree with niffweed, your avatar is fucking disgusting.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His being ISFp would help explain why I like him so much, but INTp seems more plausible to me. My impression is that he radiates a sort of dry bleakness that I've only seen in INTps. Or perhaps I am wrong, and this bleakness is something about ISFps I've yet to witness.

This is the entire song "Rejoice." Ironic attitude, for sure.

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful
    if everything were meaningless,
    But everything is so meaningful
    and most everything turns to shit.

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, rejoice."

He characteristically props positive feelings/appraisals up against negative experiences. Fe-Polr? I am not sure, really. Maybe an INTp would make himself appear happier than he is, or maybe an INTp wouldn't usually write so many songs about relational discord. Even so, I relate to his mood and to the way he communicates negativity. He couches it in an analytical framework or in an ironic attitude so as to not appear negative, but true or realistic. Would an ISFp state negativity so matter-of-factly, I wonder?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is isfp.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDxUP9Lm5hA[/youtube]

how is THAT intp? wtf?
    How is that ISFp? I get an INTp impression from his music because the emphasis is on minimalism, pessimism, SeFi topics, etc. I see a lot of emphasis on Fi and Ni here especially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsnNHd8CwKc

Here is an example of ISFp music:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=12825238

I know these guys personally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoQK4m85dw[/youtube]

this video clearly demonstrates that he is Ni dominant because of his perspective of time slowing down. no no, i mean, Si dominant because he sings with such consciousness of how it feels and he must be oh crap socionics doesn't make sense but i LOVE HTIS SONG
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    "Wouldn't it be so wonderful
    if everything were meaningless,
    But everything is so meaningful
    and most everything turns to shit.
    Paranoid Ni, anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wrote this earlier. it is hard to capture an impression of a person that has been developed over several years in only a few words but here's mine. also, i know that the songs are not the man but i do think they give insight into his view of reality.

i own just about every cd the guy has ever put out and have seen him live on several occasions. all of his songs are about love, loss, relationships, heartbreak, betrayal, etc. he is a shy guy that is a humorous jokester and can infuse a crowd with his mood. his political views are semi-conspiracy theoryish and he is very anti-corporate and pro-environment in a manner that reminds me of this "INFps often go around repeating it using exact words and phrases like brainless zombies, making them perfect puppets in the hands of a skilful puppeteer. " ( polr if you will) how is minimalism not a characteristic of ? it's a sort of "simple beauty" thing no? HE DOES NOT VALUE : his songs are very ANTI-superficiality/what the crowd thinks/ as can be seen in songs like hot girls, when they get to know you they will run, magazine, etc. he is a moody/depressive fellow. he is a hedonist who banishes his worries with drink. you say he advocates Fi. i say he is just introverted feeling that is IF. he is a sincere fellow whose naivete and innocence sort of tug at the heart strings. perhaps you think he is intp because of his somewhat caustic approach toward religion/philosophy. i think that does not take into account his initial religiousness which he later seemed to give up (?) however he does not take a stereotypical NT view of such things going "bah, it's all just crap" or what have you. he was just an outsider within that subgroup and could not emotionally relate to the PEOPLE in it. he did not abandon it on logical principle but because of things that are set out in bad things to such good people and secret of the easy yoke and other such things. another thing that characterizes him is a sort of violent jealousy which is correlated to sensation in socionics but at the same time he is very forgiving and willing to be "2nd best" in a gross sort of ixfp "abuse me" way like that song he hit me. he does not have "strong" Ni. that is all of his "visions of the future" are horror scenarios. i sort of think of the outer limits as an example of esxj Ni because everything in it is freakish/scary and bazan has this same "negative possibilities" sort of Ni. he does not have a monotone drone his voice is littered changeups/flow

@reyn: regarding his ironic pessimism i think that he is torn. he seems to advocate things that he wishes he didn't have to while expressing his bitterness over the fact that things couldn't stay as they were.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still ISFp even after watching this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KncNC-7yB1M

I see Bazan's music as exemplifying the following:

"The Critic believes that it is better to be somewhat too cynical then be a hypocrite. Hearing of a situation, he very soon thoroughly understands it and begins to tell to the bewildered interlocutor the details and aspects that the latter had overlooked. His analysis is devoid of any self-encouragement. “You shouldn’t have a different attitude towards life than you have for the kitchen – the same amount of stinking odor; if you want to cook a dish, you’ll have to get your hands dirty, just make sure you’ll be able to wash the dirt off once you are done; that’s the entire moral of our day and age." – So speaks Vautrin, a hero of Balzac’s books. Such misanthropy can kill the anybody’s spirits, except his dual (The Politician)!"

While I can feel the depressive overtones in his music, I don't think his main goal is to infuse his listener with the sad mood or cynical attitude. He easily takes on a didactic/prophetic tone, often as a way to redeem what is broken or lost about the world. In other words, he can talk about all the heartache he wants as long as he continues to make it seem like he knows what it means or does not mean.

I see in his music the suggestion that hypocrisy is worse than just about anything except for maybe strong passions, because these (as he suggests repeatedly in his songs) will lead to despair / destruction / disbelief. I think the reason he embraces the cyclothymia characteristic of ISFps in his music is that he is coming from a place where being happy or positive was expected to result from belief in God and being sad or angry was seen as a sign of disbelief. I know this is how it was for me to grow up in the evangelical church and later reject the organized religious aspect of it. I still sometimes feel compelled to wear my humanness on my sleeve as a way to profess what I perceive to be true or genuine. In the Christian tradition, you can be "human" and still be something like Christ, but you cannot pretend to be perfect and still be Christlike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't really think it would be fair or accurate to say that he is all about a search for meaning which could be interpreted as a hidden agenda anyhow. i do not think his goal is to infuse others with his emotion either, but he does. i don't think he really has a goal. he is torn between all sorts of different warring factions and cannot settle where his loyalties lie so he falls into reckless abandon and then later regrets the choices that he made in the heat of the moment. he is passionate and fervorous about his music in a way that does not seem like your typical dispassionate/neutral/calm intp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://indieinterviews.libsyn.com/in...?post_id=66670 - informative 15 min. interview

i don't really think it would be fair or accurate to say that he is all about a search for meaning which could be interpreted as a Introverted Thinking hidden agenda anyhow.
    Fair enough.

i do not think his goal is to infuse others with his emotion either, but he does. i don't think he really has a goal. he is torn between all sorts of different warring factions and cannot settle where his loyalties lie so he falls into reckless abandon and then later regrets the choices that he made in the heat of the moment. he is passionate and fervorous about his music in a way that does not seem like your typical dispassionate/neutral/calm intp
    True, he may not have a goal, but I wouldn't expect him to. He may be impulsive, as are many other irrational types. He may be passionate like many artists are. Further, does he not sing a lot about poor choices made in the heat of misguided passions, and couldn't it be interpreted that he does this in a way that reveals these as areas of weakness? And, if so, would this not make him a possible INTp, who has sort of let the fire leak out for all to see, much to his dismay? I see him as passionate about exploring creativity and maybe not so passionate about the performance of the music itself. I would think that an ISFp may be a bit different in that regard. I know one ISFp musician and his most frequently used line is "I just wanna play music." He dropped out of music school because the experience of playing in his band was paramount. I don't know, there's just something very detached and understated about Bazan's music. He seems to value it as a mode of communication/means of improving clarity of vision, yet clearly cannot communicate the meaning that he wants, and so is like "Fuck it, I'm doing this for myself anyway...." The following song is one of my favorites. Notice, it's Fi/Ni heavy, and the part which would suggest weak Fe is "I can't help this flood of tears / i've got my eye on the finish line." This along with many other songs containing a similar theme leads me to believe that not being able to make sense of his emotional state leads him deeper into despair. Now tell me how you see him as creative.

eye on the finish line

such an awful, tragic night
    though i've only done what's right
    even with my conscience clear
    i can't help this flood of tears
    i've got my eye on the finish line

though i've been striving for their good
    i will be misunderstood
    even my own darling dear
    misconstrued my words so clear

given the time i think she would have understood
    that it was for the greater good
    soon i will meet her at our mansion in the sky
    leaving this wicked world behind

it's strange that it should end this way
    but martyrs never have a say

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in a gross sort of ixfp "abuse me" way like that song he hit me.
    reference:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKK_Z_tvInw[/youtube]

i'm pretty sure the only carole king fans on this forum are Cone and me.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Spader when he was much younger.

Well, the person in the video seems to be saying "Hit me cause it feels good."

Bazan would say "hit me cause I want to know what it feels like to be hit right after being caressed."

It's all about the space between the pain and the pleasure. It's more of a trait of creative people, I suppose -- to be able to experience a and z on the emotional range yet to hover around l or m in order to make the emotion-turned-creation stand on it's own. I don't see this as inconsistent with INTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the part which would suggest weak Fe is "I can't help this flood of tears / i've got my eye on the finish line." This along with many other songs containing a similar theme leads me to believe that not being able to make sense of his emotional state leads him deeper into despair. Now tell me how you see him as creative.
    just for reference i would never ever ever write something like that
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .thursday
    the part which would suggest weak Fe is "I can't help this flood of tears / i've got my eye on the finish line." This along with many other songs containing a similar theme leads me to believe that not being able to make sense of his emotional state leads him deeper into despair. Now tell me how you see him as creative.
    just for reference i would never ever ever write something like that
    The lyrics? I missed the reference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the lyrics. "i can't help this flood of tears"

ugh

viva palestina

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you're overcomplicating this reyn. you obviously have a very strong opinion on the subject but I think you're taking units in isolation and overstating their importance. also, the very things you point out about bazan make me think isfp not intp. just take a "stereotypical" intp and place him next to bazan like niffweed or somesuch and you should see rather blatant differences. i don't see how emotional expression can be construed as weak and even less strong but continue on as you will. i am giving up on "trying to convince" you. it really isn't that important anyhow

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you're overcomplicating this reyn. you obviously have a very strong opinion on the subject but I think you're taking units in isolation and overstating their importance. also, the very things you point out about bazan make me think isfp not intp. just take a "stereotypical" intp and place him next to bazan like niffweed or somesuch and you should see rather blatant differences. i don't see how emotional expression can be construed as weak and even less strong but continue on as you will. i am giving up on "trying to convince" you. it really isn't that important anyhow
    Oh right. I'm not sure whether he is INTp or ISFp or INFp. i just know he's IP and was hoping to convince myself or be convinced of his actual type. But of course it doesn't matter much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many INTps would actually want to get in front of all those people and sing/play guitar?

That is, without calling them all a bunch of over-emotional fools, and walking off.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    How many INTps would actually want to get in front of all those people and sing/play guitar?

That is, without calling them all a bunch of over-emotional fools, and walking off.
    well i would. i actually like the attention. kind of etp that way soooometimes. not consistently but its a part of who i am

viva palestina

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly wouldn't!

... though now that you mention the walking off part it does sound tempting. Exhibiting the exact opposite to meaningless comme-il-faut behaviour and thus shocking people out of rigid norms of stylised behaviour, opening up their minds a bit, is a necessity I have often found difficult to ignore
    INTJ [mbti]
    INTp [socionics]

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like an estp to me. A soft version. could be intp.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    looks like an estp to me. A soft version. could be intp.
    wtf?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look at him. i know he plays a softie on the stage, but he looks like he could beat ass worldwide. nah. whatever. I think he could be ISFj.
    asd

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Byrne of Talking Heads, possibly one of the greatest live performers of all time, is an LII. Fe is not necessary to put on a show.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's boring as hell

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    He's boring as hell
    p'rhaps...but 20 years ago the talkin heads were the jam. they had a sound and style which quickly brought us out of uber "meaningful" baby boomer 60's led zepplin mode. he was totally like a breath of fresh air.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Byrne is boring? Try finding videos from Stop Making Sense on YouTube, THEN see if you think he's boring
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-bg

David Byrne is da shit, ja!

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'm talking about this guy, David Bazan. Talking Heads are cool.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default David Bazan

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

is he incredibly sexy to anyone else or just me? he's balding and maybe not conventionally attractive. so it must be type related!!

I can never be bothered to add tags to the threads I make thanks to whoever does that. tag fairies.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He's hot. It's not just you. I already want him to do animalistic things to me.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i think it just happens automatically

the tags that is

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

bump. type?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast