Thread: What is meant by "faking" a function?

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is meant by "faking" a function?

examples, hows and whys?

I am confused about my own type and wonder if i might be doing this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    In my view, faking a function is basically when you try to make it look like it's in your ego block. For example, I've learned how to fake , and with enough practice, people actually start to buy into it.
    You faker, you!
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    maybe i can give an example.

thinkers and introverted feelers frequently accuse Fe types of "faking" their emotions (which is partly true but not really esp. in the way they think). that is they think that actively forcing your emotions to change by force of will is wrong. i think this is what is meant by "faking." intjs "fake" other peoples thoughts in order to understand them better. that is faking is the negative connotation people make with emulation of a personal state that does not reflect one's self.
    Well I just talked to an SEI recently and she told me, "I just say nice things but I mean to be mean." Also, didn't Jung say something to the effect of Fe types thinking that they are cold, but they just project it off as warmth? Is this what you're getting at? And I don't think this was really what the topic was about...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course niceness isn't a function, but what I mean is that Fe types just "think" in a diffrent way. Other types might go about it a diffrent way, or look at something diffrently, etc... but Fe just naturally provides WARMTH. Here's what I'm talking about, here is an IM conversation I had yesterday with the SEI. I'll take out the scns for privacy, and only show a portion of it. This is an exact copy and paste, so there are a lot of grammar errors, and just ignore the disorganization of the speech (I don't know why I was so bad that day ) :

::conversation leading into::

ME: loser? lol, no.
    SEI: lol, yes.
    ME: omg, so you must be a loser too! talking to me and everything...
    ME: I should BEG people like you to actually talk to me, lol
    SEI: i do it out of pity
    ME: haha, so it nice of you to throw me a bone i guess lol
    SEI: yeah, it is..especially because i am such a cold hearted person
    ME: I think I'm way colded than you, so at least I make you look pretty warm
    ME: to you wanna buy a ket to the school elevator
    ME: *key
    SEI: do i?
    ME: do you what? look warm, or want the key?
    ME: i think you are the kind of person who thinks she thinks in a cold way but it comes out as warmth
    SEI: no i dont want the key..why do u ask?
    SEI: yeah.....right
    ME: i know someone who is seeling the key. and what do you mean "yeah right"? what don't you agree with what I wrote?
    ME: *selling
    SEI: no i dont get what ur saying
    ME: as in you "think" cold but "project" warm... if you don't get it, forget it.
    SEI: ok lol
    SEI: i just say nice things but i mean to be mean.
    ME: you don't say nice things to me
    ME: /sarcasm
    ME: but, yeah, i get you
    SEI: lol

::conversation continues::
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by an ixtp (probably istp)
    The Model A theory says 3rd function is weak but shows "typical" works, so it is considered to be misunderstood as 1st or 2nd sometimes. Don't you mean such like this?
    The 5th [suggestive] and 6th [hidden agenda] functions can be mistaken as your 1st and 2nd functions as well if they are overactive and have a high influence over you.

This seem to be the case with Rocky and Psychophant both, who probably feel a high influence from both their ROLE [3rd] and Suggestive [5th] Functions. ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

And the role function is your function of neurosis. So when Jung talks about unconscious disturbances in his description of the types, this is the function he's talking about.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-an ixtp (probably istp)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    The 5th [suggestive] and 6th [hidden agenda] functions can be mistaken as your 1st and 2nd functions as well if they are overactive and have a high influence over you.

This seem to be the case with Rocky and Psychophant both, who probably feel a high influence from both their ROLE [3rd] and Suggestive [5th] Functions. ...
    It can be vice versa, too; It's possible one regards one's super-id function as ego.
    Isn't it hard to pretend weak and unconscious functions as strong and conscious one, especially in healthy ways? There may be big distinctions, but I'm not sure how to find them on present test things.

I also think 1st function is hard to get without social admission, and nomally one's better action is what the 1st/2nd combo does. These may be hints, but I don't know the way to find them expect detailed questioning. It's almost impossible on mechanical testing.

In Sycophant's case, it seems her rabelliousness just kicked some descriptions for or like that. It's really a INTx sarcasm and challenging against social values, just like my INTj-suspected sister, but slightly differs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    i think 5th-6th and all those other odd things only appear that way online. i bet if we all met in real life the behavior would be utterly different
    I agree. The descriptions like "take critisism well" might be hints in over-network typing, I think.