Thread: Dave Eggers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dave Eggers

[GVideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7241142096313767823&q=dave+eggers[/GVideo]
    (second half of video)

wikipedia bio

author. known for idiosyncratic style and humorous "outside the box" formats of writing, often interjecting diagrams and extended portions of dialogue into his works. books have a clear focus, IMO, on transcending the chaos of life. frequently demonstrates his lack of organization or attention to cleanliness or his surroundings in his autobiography, while lamenting his position of having to take care of his 8-or-so year old brother. some of his later works have a leftist political human-rights abuse theme.

i have to read a heartbreaking work of staggering genius for english class. frankly, i think it sucks (although the format is amusing), but there you have it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eggers is better suited for the short story format. I found HWOSG enjoyable, but basically sort of scanned the pages for exhilirating passages while skipping over the rest. I definitely prefer his collection of short stories, "How We Are Hungry." They are extremely well-crafted and his diffuse energy is put to better use.

I'm pretty sure he's ILE, although I wondered about IEI too. His is a sort of writing I generally like -- the self-conscious narrative. Reminds me a bit of David Sedaris, who I think is IEI.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldnt be surprised if david was Iei.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is not really obvious from the way this thread was structured, but i could hardly imagine it if he weren't IEI.