Thread: Argh so what is my type?

Default Argh so what is my type?

Hey all, I've just gotten interested in the whole personality MBTI and Socionics thing but I'm a little confused with my type. I was hoping the experienced ones here can help out a little.

MBTI gives me strong I and T preferences but my S and P only barely trumps N and J. Both INTP and ISTP describe me.

Socionics tests result in an ISTp. I have only a vague idea how the J/P thing works though. How likely am I to be a ISTj if i'm MBTI ISTP? Reading the type descriptions here I seem to identify with both INTp and ISTp.

Enneagram tests give more contradictory results where I scored highest in 3, 9 then followed by 8

So what am I?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm going to move this to the what's my type forum.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    Behold, implied's first act of moderation!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Argh so what is my type?

Quote Originally Posted by partiallyconscious
    MBTI gives me strong I and T preferences but my S and P only barely trumps N and J. Both INTP and ISTP describe me.
    You mean that you identify with both INTP and ISTP descriptions from MBTI? Any particular descriptions you have read?

Socionics tests result in an ISTp. I have only a vague idea how the J/P thing works though. How likely am I to be a ISTj if i'm MBTI ISTP?
    If your correct type is ISTP in the MBTI model, then you should identify with ISTp descriptions in Socionics. You should not switch the J/P. An ISTP is most similar to an ISTp in Socionics.

Reading the type descriptions here I seem to identify with both INTp and ISTp.
    Which descriptions have you read? You cannot identify with everything in both descriptions, so which parts do you not identify with in the descriptions? Which parts do you identify most strongly with?

Enneagram tests give more contradictory results where I scored highest in 3, 9 then followed by 8
    Enneagram 3 is primarily an extraverted type, and it is almost impossible that you could be an INTp if you identify most with that one. Enneagram 9 is the "IP temperament" type, which has ISFp as some sort of prototype. Enneagram 8 is again an extraverted type primarily, with ENTj as perhaps the most typical representative.

If you are an INTp you should at least identify to a reasonable extent with Enneagram 5, which could perhaps also be your Enneagram type if you are an ISTp, but it fits better for an INTp. If you don't identify with 5 much at all, you cannot be an INTp.

ISTj is not very likely based on the information you have provided so far.

So what am I?
    To early to tell. If you want to be sure that you have found your correct type, you should not be in a hurry. It can sometimes be a long process, but it can speed up a bit if you don't jump to conclusions to fast. First we need as much information we can. We should not have any strong hypotheses at this stage.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Argh so what is my type?

Hey all, I've just gotten interested in the whole personality MBTI and Socionics thing but I'm a little confused with my type. I was hoping the experienced ones here can help out a little.

Socionics tests result in an ISTp. I have only a vague idea how the J/P thing works though. How likely am I to be a ISTj if i'm MBTI ISTP?

So what am I?
    Learn this as soon as you can: MBTI is not the same theory as Socionics. When learning socionics, don't let MBTI knowledge get in the way of learning the material.

as for your question, you get the same response everyone else does:

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    http://www.socionics.us/

If you just want to learn your type and have a superficial understanding of socionics, describe yourself in the "what's my type" section of the forum.
    If you really want to discuss the material and learn socionics, then start with that link, and stick around for some time here in the forum.
    http://the16types.info
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe

*takes a bow*
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

describe yourself. and ignore phaedrus' analyses.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you read the ENTp description?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She moderates, just not very often and never to dish out forum discipline ... all the mods just seem to leave that up to me anymore anyways.

I knew I probably had to describe myself at some point but I was trying to get away with it

Ok some stuff about me:

I would love to travel around the world.
    I think life is about experiencing stuff. This was a change from "Life is about playing computer games forever" when I was young and then I realised I was missing out.
    I am very game to try out stuff but most people don't know it.
    I like all sports when I'm doing them. The hardest part is starting them because I'm too lazy. But otherwise, I love playing basketball.
    I love to learn. If I interested in something and don't understand it, I can get quite frustrated.
    I am interested in a lot of things, but I get bored after a while.
    If I'm really passionate about something, I'd really give my best. Otherwise, I'm just a slacker.
    I like people, but I'm just not too sociable. I get afraid of rejection so I don't really initiate stuff with people.
    I can drift into my inner world thinking.
    I think I look pissed off even I though I don't feel that way.
    I think I have good aesthetic sense.
    I don't seem to be the extraverted sensing type from MBTI since I'm not very observant about colours, smell, etc. I only notice the location of objects and the things that seem out of place.
    If it helps, I also more of a visual person from all the intelligence tests around (which seems to contradict the above, I don't know)
    I have got horrible memory. I may remember some useless lame stuff but not really the things I should remember - like what I've learnt in college. I can't recall them straight away but if someone (like my ENTP friend) names the particular term then I would remember it and the concept, albeit vaguely.

That's as much as I can write at one go. Thanks for the replies so far

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically no information. a wild guess is SLI.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    basically no information. a wild guess is SLI.
    Agree on both counts.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    She moderates, just not very often and never to dish out forum discipline ... all the mods just seem to leave that up to me anymore anyways.
    That's cause they find themselves in a "can't win" position.
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm.. some Ne/Si quadra type?
    I'm getting a NF vibe.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He who takes responsibility for the faults and hardships is ultimately the one who rules the land, so to say.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    That's cause they find themselves in a "can't win" position.
    no, i just think if i handed out all the discipline i'd wind up overdoing it a la nazi warlord.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol good times
    SEE

ENTP? NF vibe? sheesh... Never thought I would be either an E or an F

hmm what other info do you think you guys need to tell my type?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should discuss this -- I have been less active in forum discipline, because (1) there has been less need for that than in previous times, (2) I thought that previously I was being over-active.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Maybe we should discuss this -- I have been less active in forum discipline, because (1) there has been less need for that than in previous times, (2) I thought that previously I was being over-active.
    you were. moderation should only be practiced in... moderation if at all

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to travel around the world.
    I think life is about experiencing stuff. This was a change from "Life is about playing computer games forever" when I was young and then I realised I was missing out.
    I am very game to try out stuff but most people don't know it.
    I like all sports when I'm doing them. The hardest part is starting them because I'm too lazy. But otherwise, I love playing basketball.
    I love to learn. If I interested in something and don't understand it, I can get quite frustrated.
    I am interested in a lot of things, but I get bored after a while.
    If I'm really passionate about something, I'd really give my best. Otherwise, I'm just a slacker.
    I like people, but I'm just not too sociable. I get afraid of rejection so I don't really initiate stuff with people.
    I can drift into my inner world thinking.
    I think I look pissed off even I though I don't feel that way.
    I think I have good aesthetic sense.
    I don't seem to be the extraverted sensing type from MBTI since I'm not very observant about colours, smell, etc. I only notice the location of objects and the things that seem out of place.
    If it helps, I also more of a visual person from all the intelligence tests around (which seems to contradict the above, I don't know)
    I have got horrible memory. I may remember some useless lame stuff but not really the things I should remember - like what I've learnt in college. I can't recall them straight away but if someone (like my ENTP friend) names the particular term then I would remember it and the concept, albeit vaguely.
    ENFp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't type you from that. Let us talk to your friends, they'll give us the real dish.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Describe yourself. And pay close attention to my analyses. Ignore what others say about me when they criticize my understanding of Socionics.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTP? NF vibe? sheesh... Never thought I would be either an E or an F

hmm what other info do you think you guys need to tell my type?
    What seems to be very clear is that you are an irrational type (a P type) of some sort. That is probably the only thing we can know for sure right now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Describe yourself. And pay close attention to my analyses. Ignore what others say about me when they criticize my understanding of Socionics.
    here's an idea. read both, and decide for yourself whose analyses make sense.