View Poll Results: Do you work in a male dominated field?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I love it!

0 0%
  • Yes, it's a pain

0 0%
  • I haven't chosen a field yet

0 0%
  • No, but I wouldn't mind

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • 128 100.00%

Thread: female ENTps

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default female ENTps

I'm the only female Home Inspector in my area (out of probably 300 Home Inspectors). It's so fun! Not because I'm in a male dominated field, but because it's just a cool profession. However, I must admit that I do find people's reactions quite amusing.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a call from my boss. The state I live in is holding meetings to redo the real estate forms, such as offer to purchase and disclosure forms and whatnot. I guess Home Inspectors have been trying to get a seat on the board for years, and this year we've got one. They're submitting three names of possible Home Inspectors for this postion, and mine is one of them! I guess they want to see a female/minority Home Inspector. Although I don't think that demographics should matter more than qualification, I do think that because I'm already one of the best Home Inspectors in my area and because I'm also a real estate investor, I'm more qualified than most of these guys. The understanding of the forms that I'll gain from this will be very beneficial for me as a real estate investor, and it will be a good networking opportunity as well. This is so cool!

On the other hand though... Sitting through DAYS of board meetings... Where's my Adderall? lol
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have play sports were majority of the players are males. But Iaint an ENTP.
    ISFP, SEI

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;lkjlkj
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes men can be pricks to work with what with they are always right. They can be ruthless especially at work.

But women are bitches and not really any better IMHO. My field is female dominated and it's all about who's in and who's scorned.

It's all the same. That's why they call it work, no?
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only "problem" I've had so far is the guys in my classes (Uniform Dwelling Code and Residential Electrical Code) give me more attention than they do eachother. There was one guy that's not in my class but was sort of a speaker on a field trip who was irritating me, but I think he was trying to be charming. Other than that, not too many issues so far. I think the bulk of my problems will come from clients. They see this girl in her early twenties and assume that I have no contruction knowledge or experience in the field, but it will be okay once I start talking...
    SEE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They see this girl in her early twenties and assume that I have no contruction knowledge or experience in the field, but it will be okay once I start talking...
    I don't know. Some guys like girls who are intellectually strong. I think your only salvation is to tell them you have AIDS.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was saying that they'll doubt my qualifications and competency as a home inspector initially but then feel more confident in my abilities as they figure out that I know what I'm talking about (even more so than a lot of the guys that have been doing this for a long time!).

As far as getting people to leave me alone, the AIDS thing is something I've never tried... something that would probably work...

I used to tell them I have a son. Then they'd want to take us to the zoo, which horribly offended me because they were trying to get to me through my kid and because I hate the zoo (too depressing).

I tried telling them that I'm a lesbian. Then they'd ask me lots of sexual questions and if I wanted to hear all that I wouldn't have tried to get them to go away in the first place.

The boyfriend/husband thing means nothing to most of them... I don't even wear a ring anyways.

Just saying I'm not interested very flatly doesn't generally work either...

My best bet is nearly always to just play dumb. Pretend the inuendos are going over my head. Grin like an idiot. OMG, it's soooo annoying to act that way...

I'm not sure I'm willing to try the STD approach though.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;lkjlkj
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People will continue to believe what theit parents believed until somebody challenges it. There's no reason we shouldn't be that person.

And besides. The words "man" or "woman" cannot begin to describe me. It doesn't matter what the world ses me as or wants to believe. I will do as I please because I know that I can. If I didn't know that I can, I wouldn't even try.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;lkjlkj
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that's sweet! You know, some people get annoyed with my saying stuff like that.... They get this "What makes you so special?" attitude, and I just want to yell,"You are too! But you have to believe it in order to utilize it..."
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried one some of your tips joy, before. Like you said, It didn't work out for me either. I end up running away from them guys.
    ISFP, SEI

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annoying, isn't it?

I talked to my boss again today about all of this stuff with the board metting for changing the real estate forms. I asked him if I'm a name on the list but it's likely that someone else will be chosen, and he said, no, I will most likely be the one picked. This is a huge oppotunity for me! *Sighs* I can't believe that I'm enjoying feeling important this much. How very ENTp of me...
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep it is annoying but being the only girl in sports ain't so bad either it actually great to me. Good for you about being picked .
    ISFP, SEI

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is starting to look like a feminist topic.

Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFP, SEI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your only salvation is to tell them you have AIDS...

:wink: I will try that approach as soon as the next situation arises.