Thread: Socionics Temperaments and Stress Tolerance

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics Temperaments and Stress Tolerance

Let's discuss each of the temperaments and stress. What types of things stress each temperament out (individual type related things aside), how easily does each temperament get stressed, how does each temperament display stress, how does each temperament manage stress, etc.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: temperament and stress

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Let's discuss each of the temperaments and stress. What types of things stress each temperament out (individual type related things aside), how easily does each temperament get stressed, how does each temperament display stress, how does each temperament manage stress, etc.
    possible reactions under stress :

Ep : becomes aggressive, doesn't control his impulses
    Ej : becomes capricous, overreacts to environment
    Ip : becomes like a zombie, waits passively
    Ij : becomes reckless, acts without thinking

Gulenko said :

P = HIGH stress resistance
    J = LOW stress resistance

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I could certainly see EJs becoming somewhat erratic and overreacting to stuff.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

types of things that cause stress for different temperaments

EJ: things not going as planned
    EP: having restrictions put on them
    IJ: being in a situation in which they're supposed to do something but don't know what?
    IP: being in a situation where they're asked to do something they don't want to do?

So the following temperaments become stressed and then handle it by:

EJ: When things don't go as planned, they can overreact and become erratic.
    EP: When restrictions are put on them, they can act on aggressive impulses.
    IJ: When they're not sure what they should do, they become reckless and act without thinking.
    IP: When they're asked to do something they don't want to do, they become passively detached.

I have seen a lot of crossover in the IPs and IJs though... do any of the introverts have better suggestions? For example, when you put pressure on an IJ they may stubbornly refuse to do anything, and when you put pressure on an IP they may passively go along it.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EJ: When things don't go as planned, they can overreact and become erratic.
    EP: When restrictions are put on them, they can act on aggressive impulses.
    I relate to both, but slightly more to the second. Because it's like "When restrictions are placed on what I planned to do, I freak out".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I relate to both, but slightly more to the second. Because it's like "When restrictions are placed on what I planned to do, I freak out".
    J = planned/organised is a myersian-keirsevian caricature.

P percieves reality as "raw" or "as is", and J percieves reality rather as "ordered" or "as it should be".

This is why we could simplify by saying "J-types reacts when things don't go as planned".

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm. Dunno about the Ep one. I agree with the Ip one.

Restrictions - well in some ways I'm very flexible, so if plans change and therefore I'm restricted from doing something I can be OK with it. It's more about the reason for the restrictions. If it's something that just comes up, that's cool, but if it's because someone is trying to make me conform or bow to their power or something, I get pissed off. Or if there are stupid rules that make me not able to do something and there's no good reason for the rules' existence. But that might be more anti-Se than Ep?

So I'd say:

Ip: when someone tries to make them do something they don't want to do
    Ep: when someone tries to keep them from doing something they do want to do

That's not much different from what you said though.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc
    J = planned/organised is a myersian-keirsevian caricature.

P percieves reality as "raw" or "as is", and J percieves reality rather as "ordered" or "as it should be".

This is why we could simplify by saying "J-types reacts when things don't go as planned".
    If it is perceived then it cannot be "as it should be". Imho both types perceive it as it is.

Thinking about it, I'm a bit bad with restrictions. Even if it is something I don't really want to do...I don't want to feel like I can't do it! I must always feel like it's my choice not to do something. So say I hear a girl saying "Eh guys shouldn't really wear pants like *points to pants x*" I feel like buying those pants and get in their face and say "WHAT ABOUT NOW??UH??".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is perceived then it cannot be "as it should be". Imho both types perceive it as it is.
    We all sense the same reality, but we percieve mainly the information aspect based on function 1. Aushra said functions were "priorities of perception".

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I could certainly see EJs becoming somewhat erratic and overreacting to stuff.
    how do you, joy, differentiate between "erratic and overreacting to stuff" from "doesn't control impulses"?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Ip: when someone tries to make them do something they don't want to do
    Ep: when someone tries to keep them from doing something they do want to do
    both of those would trigger a negative reaction from me
    just the mere appearance of force (making me do or keeping me from doing)...
    but then, this is likely a personal thing due to past experiences

the infps i talk with regularly have each described enjoying going around the walls and restrictions which are placed in front of them, so i can see how the Ep one you wrote wouldn't stress them and may even activate them
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    how do you, joy, differentiate between "erratic and overreacting to stuff" from "doesn't control impulses"?
    I don't want to get into a big discussion over this... Think about the EPs you know. Now think about the EJs you know. The EPs respond to stress by DOING and saying things they'll regret, foolish things that they didn't think through. The EJs respond to stress by appearing erratic in demeanor (as opposed to actually doing and saying all sorts of stupid shit that they'll regret), and their overreaction is in their level of irritation about something that may not be worth getting that upset over.

Of course, anyone can do and say things they'll regret and anyone can overreact... so don't say stuff like:

so you're saying that ONLY EPs do stupid things?
    so you're saying that ONLY EPs do things they regret?
    and you're saying that ONLY EPs say stupid things?
    and you're saying that ONLY EPs say things they regret?

and you're saying that EPs never overreact?
    they're not overreacting when they're doing stupid things they'll regret?
    they're not overreacting when they're saying stupid things they'll regret?

explain to me how you differentiate between these things
    I have no interest in arguing semantics with you.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    I don't want to get into a big discussion over this... Think about the EPs you know. Now think about the EJs you know. The EPs respond to stress by DOING and saying things they'll regret, foolish things that they didn't think through. The EJs respond to stress by appearing erratic in demeanor (as opposed to actually doing and saying all sorts of stupid shit that they'll regret), and their overreaction is in their level of irritation about something that may not be worth getting that upset over.

Of course, anyone can do and say things they'll regret and anyone can overreact... so don't say stuff like:

...[]...explain to me how you differentiate between these things
    I have no interest in arguing semantics with you.
    calm down Joy
    I was just trying to figure out what you were saying, how you figure impulsivity differs from overreacting
    you say it's about "the level of irritation about something that may or may not be worth getting that upset over"
    in respond to that, i point you to this:
    http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...=198935#198935
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have some sort of communication gap or language barrier or something.

We essentially agree on this, as far as I can tell. How describe the different between what stresses an EP and an EJ and how they respond?
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have some sort of communication gap or language barrier or something.

We essentially agree on this, as far as I can tell. How describe the different between what stresses an EP and an EJ and how they respond?
    uh, obviously not if i'm pointing out the projecting bias (and the others i listed there) when it comes to determining whether or not something is "over reacting"
    what may be "overreacting" to you (general you) may actually be a natural impulsive response to the person
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think that most people would agree that becoming very irritated that the time of an appointment was changed for a good reason and it doesn't affect any of the rest of your plans is overreacting?

Besides, I would say that it's possible that people are their own judges of what's overreacting, in a way, once they're calm and thinking straight.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think that most people would agree that becoming very irritated that the time of an appointment was changed for a good reason and it doesn't affect any of the rest of your plans is overreacting?

Besides, I would say that it's possible that people are their own judges of what's overreacting, in a way, once they're calm and thinking straight.
    i'd say that at most, it's for that particular person alone to say whether or not they felt they overreacted
    but that doesn't change the fact that their most immediate reaction was an impulsive response
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you describe the different between what stresses an EP and an EJ and how they respond?
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you describe the different between what stresses an EP and an EJ and how they respond?
    i don't
    stress is often personal
    and/or situational
    regardless of type
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

back to the topic, i got the result of my rorschach about two years and were very interesting.
    The main point was my high tendency to rationalize everything. The contrapart was lack tolerance to the stress.
    I get stress out easily (and the worst, i didnt know it). So i have started to fight against my lack of it, even getting more stress out.
    Until today, i still having lack of tolerance (but not much than before) and i dont know why. Reading this topic remind me the impulsive guy and some times violent i was.
    This is a good subject to discuss.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it varies by function. i find that i become uncomfortable when people make proactive requests that afford me minimal flexibility or, really, do anything that puts me in a situation that i can't control my schedule or forces me to undertake some task in which i have no interest, but some of this is probably related more to Ni and/or reinin dichotomies than purely being a temperament thing.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I get stressed I tend to tense up, withdrawing or freezing. Sometimes I start behaving a little erratically, starting one thing, then moving to another, then another, without finishing or really accomplishing anything. It's a sort of distractedness, an avoidance thing I think.

If I have time I'll pull myself aside and try to evaluate the situation, determining what needs to be done, what out of those needs I can meet, in what order they need to be met, what I need to have to get it done, if anyone else should be involved, and so forth. Sometimes I write it down, list style. That type of thing can calm me down, and once I do it I can focus on what I can actually do to relieve the stress. If I can't do that, though, then I might freeze up or withdraw even more, or get caught in an emotional downward spiral - helplessness and self-condemnation being a couple of prominent emotions.

The type of things that stress me out the most are probably where I have a whole lot of important stuff to do and not a lot of time to get it done. It's particularly worse if those things are unfamiliar, if I don't think I really know what I'm doing and I don't have time to learn.

I don't think I'm too good at handling stress.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's kind of weird. Ever since I started studying for my final last week, I've been in this strange stupor when it comes to everything else, which I guess will end once I'm done with the semester, but the future's looking kind of fuzzy right now. I'm either working on that for hours (occasionally stressing out real bad), or I'm just sitting around not entirely sure of what I'm doing with myself. I almost feel like an Ip-temperament. I haven't gone out to do photography within the past week either because I just haven't been in that mind-state. It's awkward.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-18-2014 at 06:08 PM.