Thread: Having your own space

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Having your own space

Is the following question decisive in determining whether a person is I or E:

Do you need to have time away from people so that you can reflect on your thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elbow tchaikovsky freezer burn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to get away from people for awhile so I can think. Some introverts can just tune people but as an extravert I cant (well I can but I feel like Im being rude). I live by myself now and I thought it would be just the most horrible thing but really its not bad at all. I hope I havent ruined myself so that I cant live with another person though. One of my criteria for marriage is, to be able to be with someone and not get tired of them or have to get away to process my thoughts. I found this has been true with my dual istp. But to be honest I dont know how the istps feel about that ...

Topaz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to think on the lines of where do you predominantly find yourself on the scale or continnum between introversion and extroversion.

To simply label yourself "introvert" OR "extravert" is wrong as you then pigeonhole yourself into a stereotype. In response to the above post, is it more grammatically correct to say, "all the introverted people i know...etc."?

I found a wiki site with exegeses (interpretations) of the difference between Introversion and Extraversion: http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Introverted
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowyc
    To simply label yourself "introvert" OR "extravert" is wrong as you then pigeonhole yourself into a stereotype. In response to the above post, is it more grammatically correct to say, "all the introverted people i know...etc."?
    I say Im an extravert, but as my post demonstrates, even though I enjoy the company of others and outside stimulation I have times when I like solitude as well. I dont think thats pigeonholing myself.
    I cant say 'all' the introverts I know can tune people out because I havent asked them all. If I did say all, wouldn't that be pigeonholing? I only can speak of the ones that have admitted that to me.

Topaz

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this question:

Are you more inclined to interacting with people or are you more inclined to reflecting on your thoughts?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to have both. I am usually exhausted after being in a social situation. So much stimulation!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you say makes you E and not I.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are energized by interactions with others, rather then them taking energy from you. Many extroverts are almost more comfortable being with other people then they are being alone. Introverts are most in their comfort zone when alone I believe.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the only reason I know that I'm an E instead of an I (and it is very close) is because of the descriptions of various types. I can be very introverted at times, but overall I am indeed an E.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I can be very introverted at times, but overall I am indeed an E.
    Probably the best way to look at it - on a scale e.g.:

I --------------|----- E

And then like a bungee rope, it may swing the other way until the tension for your preferred orientation pulls you back eventually.

I wonder though in terms of finding a balance that the more you go against your preferred orientation, the weaker the tension can become.
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good analogy and a very intellignet hypothosis. Yes, I do go against E until it pulls me back. I try to use E for my best interests and I hide behind I. But it doesn't always work like that.
    SEE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes one extraverted and what makes one introverted is the placing of the functions; this, however, does not mean one solely displays one's introverted or extraverted characteristics, as types can often use their secondary function, which are inherently the opposite of their base function in terms of the extraverted and introverted dichotomy, to appear OTHER than what their type's acronym might indicate on the E/I scale.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is it impossible to know if a person's type is E or I, just by asking a question?

If not, what is that question?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this:

Which one describes you better:
    - I need to spend time on my own in order to wind down and relax (Extrovert)
    - I need to spend time with people in order to wind down and relax (Introvert)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    How about this:

Which one describes you better:
    - I need to spend time on my own in order to wind down and relax (Extrovert)
    - I need to spend time with people in order to wind down and relax (Introvert)
    Did you mean these two the other way around? I need to be around others to be happy sometimes and I need to be by myself to relax. LOL, I think most people have the easiest time figuring out this dimension over any of the others, but not me.

So no, there's no one question that could determine it for me. I think it could work for a lot of people though?
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Did you mean these two the other way around? I need to be around others to be happy sometimes and I need to be by myself to relax.
    No, I did not mean these two the other way round.

It seems it did work for you because you say that you need to be by yourself to relax.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, okay, I think I get it. Es tend to be energized around other people and perhaps relaxed by themselves, but do you really think Is are relaxed around other people?
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm INTj. When I'm alone, like now ( ) I become overworked, and the way for me to relax is to interact with the world ... possibily by meeting a friend.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;lkjlkj
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No... Introverts get tired out by most people and then need time alone to recharge... not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Try shallowness

Here's another take on extraversion vs. introversion:

http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Shallowness

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryBottom
    No... Introverts get tired out by most people and then need time alone to recharge... not the other way around.
    I'm introverted, and get tired out being alone because I tend to do alot of intellectual activities. So to get away from solitude, I see a friend. This helps me chill out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd argue that's more whether you're S or N.

And implied, you're definitely ENFP in my opinion.
    ENFP - Ethical Subtype.
    In touch with semireality.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I still think it's where you spend most of your time: in your thoughts or in the world around you.
    An ISTp has an inexhaustable curiosity towards the outside world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)