Thread: Self consciousness, an ENTp quality?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Self consciousness, an ENTp quality?

Self-consciousness Persons of the Inventive type look to others for approval. They are very conscious of how others treat them and highly sensitive to criticism and negative evaluation.
    I am generally not very self-conscious. Sometimes I feel a little awkward in groups because I don't know what to do with my hands and feet and stuff. In my classes I squirm and fidget quite a bit. I don't wish to draw attention to myself with this, but I just can't sit still.

Other than that, I am more confident of myself than many and I really do not care what people think of me most of the time. Sure, I'd like them to see me as an unusual and interesting person with high intellience who has great business sense, compassion, good intentions, and charisma... but if people cannot get past my eccentricities or have a problem with my being a strong women, that's their problem. I do the things I do based on their overall benefit, not what others will think.

Furthermore, I highly value objective criticism and welcome opportunities to use my excellent conflict resolution skills. I am also the type of person who tells people what they need to hear rather than what they want to. Even criticism from someone with an agenda is valuable because I can still learn another perspective. I strive to see situations from as many perspectives as I can. That is far more important than just looking good.

I've also heard of ENTp's (especially female) appearing forced and insincere when trying to be friendly. I think that sincerity is one of my best qualities. I'd rather not say anything than say something that I don't mean (most of the time).

Also, if some one says something bad about or to me or does something to make me look bad, I am generally not upset by this. I see their insecurity for what it is and pity them.

I also am not as eager to take credit for things as what it sounds like an ENTp would be. I don't mind allowing others the spotlight or allowing random acts of kindness to go unnoticed. Sometimes I even take the blame for others mistakes, depending on whether doing so would have an overall beneficial outcome or not. I don't lie, but if some one thinks I made a mistake and it was really some one else's mistake, I'm not quick to point out the oversight.

It sounds to me like these differences in myself from the general descritption of an ENTp are mostly due to my ability to view situations from a detached perspective. I care more about the long term plan than I do the minor things, like the guy at the hardware store laughing at me because I have no idea what I'm doing. It's okay because I'm learning... He can laugh all he wants.

I also depend solely on myself for my sense of pride and self-worth. There are very few people who are clever enough to make me feel bad about myself. Sure, there are times when I get depressed and feel totally worthless, but it's not something that is affected by or effects my dealings with others (except when I seek solitude when I'm down).

Interestingly though... for some reason I've been having this day dream about having a TV show about Home Inspection... I value my privacy too much to actually want to be a public figure... I think...

Comments?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to this, especially about the part where you said few people are clever enough to make you feel sorry for yourself.

You have to realize, though ... that most ENTp descriptions were written by people of other types who are meerly observers of ENTp behaviour. I remember reading some ENTp description that did not sound like me at all, and even worse it said that ISFjs were natural partners to ENTps.

Of course, that was an MBTI ENTp description, probably why it was so so screwed up in the first place and did not relate to me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will tell you this: in personality inventories, people who know the testee often score him more accurately than the testee himself.

You won't agree with me, but that Oldham description is right; ENTps are very self-conscious.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I am self-conscious ...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I have learned to not be too self-conscious. I can't really remember if I used to be self-conscious or not, honestly. I remember disliking jobs because I didn't feel I was appreciated. I know with my current employer, he has a lot of confidence in me and as s result I work as hard as I can to take care of his clients and do the job well and learn as much as I can.

Perhaps this is a form of what they're talking about?

I just never ever do things purely because that's what others would like. I try to be diplomatic. There's no sense in having people dislike me if it can be avoided through the manner in which I handle whatever it is I do, but I will still do what I want.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Perhaps I have learned to not be too self-conscious. I can't really remember if I used to be self-conscious or not, honestly. I remember disliking jobs because I didn't feel I was appreciated. I know with my current employer, he has a lot of confidence in me and as s result I work as hard as I can to take care of his clients and do the job well and learn as much as I can.

Perhaps this is a form of what they're talking about?

I just never ever do things purely because that's what others would like. I try to be diplomatic. There's no sense in having people dislike me if it can be avoided through the manner in which I handle whatever it is I do, but I will still do what I want.
    Sounds like something I would say ...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then you do consider that to be self-conscious?
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    So then you do consider that to be self-conscious?
    Maybe, I never thought that it was self-conscious; though it could appear that way to others possibly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

naturally if your hidden agenda is to be loved, you will be self conscious to assure yourself you are still loveable.
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I mean by self-consciousness:

Go through your first post on this topic, Joy, and count how many negative things you admit to. Then count how many strengths you claim to have. Then you'll see what I mean.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-

coscious of the self, that is good!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll put strengths in red and weaknesses in blue... new stuff in green

I am generally not very self-conscious. Sometimes I feel a little awkward in groups because I don't know what to do with my hands and feet and stuff. In my classes I squirm and fidget quite a bit. I don't wish to draw attention to myself with this, but I just can't sit still.
    (But that's an ADD thing)

Other than that, I am more confident of myself than many and I really do not care what people think of me most of the time. Sure, I'd like them to see me as an unusual and interesting person with high intellience who has great business sense, compassion, good intentions, and charisma... but if people cannot get past my eccentricities or have a problem with my being a strong women, that's their problem. I do the things I do based on their overall benefit, not what others will think.

Furthermore, I highly value objective criticism and welcome opportunities to use my excellent conflict resolution skills. I am also the type of person who tells people what they need to hear rather than what they want to. Even criticism from someone with an agenda is valuable because I can still learn another perspective. I strive to see situations from as many perspectives as I can. That is far more important than just looking good.

I've also heard of ENTp's (especially female) appearing forced and insincere when trying to be friendly. I think that sincerity is one of my best qualities. I'd rather not say anything than say something that I don't mean (most of the time). If I say something that I don't totally mean it's to be diplomatic. (I'm not lying, I'm just pointing out something that is important to that person that I just really don't care about.)

Also, if some one says something bad about or to me or does something to make me look bad, I am generally not upset by this. I see their insecurity for what it is and pity them.

I also am not as eager to take credit for things as what it sounds like an ENTp would be. I don't mind allowing others the spotlight or allowing random acts of kindness to go unnoticed. Sometimes I even take the blame for others mistakes, depending on whether doing so would have an overall beneficial outcome or not. I don't lie, but if some one thinks I made a mistake and it was really some one else's mistake, I'm not quick to point out the oversight.

It sounds to me like these differences in myself from the general descritption of an ENTp are mostly due to my ability to view situations from a detached perspective. I care more about the long term plan than I do the minor things, like the guy at the hardware store laughing at me because I have no idea what I'm doing. It's okay because I'm learning... He can laugh all he wants.

I also depend solely on myself for my sense of pride and self-worth. There are very few people who are clever enough to make me feel bad about myself. Sure, there are times when I get depressed and feel totally worthless, but it's not something that is affected by or effects my dealings with others (except when I seek solitude when I'm down).

Interestingly though... for some reason I've been having this day dream about having a TV show about Home Inspection... I value my privacy too much to actually want to be a public figure... I think... (This is not good or bad)
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NM!!!!! i'm drunk so I totally get it

If I wasn't self consciosus, it wouldn't be difficult for me to express positive emotion!!!!

I love ISHY!!!
    SEE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess we will have to ban you for PUI - Posting Under the Influence.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so sorry
    SEE