TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTjs and music

? Do you have it on a lot?

My room mate seems to use it as an emotional crutch or something, Fe regulation. All the day, all the time. He even goes to sleep with it on.
    He's such a baby in that way.

Music comes and goes for me, but generally I only like it in small amounts. It does not really hold Fe for me anyways, and furthermore I don't like most music.

You?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to have it on as background noise about 35% of the time. I can really, really like a song; become obsessed with it even; but most songs have a shelf-life for me. I get tired of them quickly and I no longer "hear" them when they're playing so any special meaning is gone. I almost never attach a particular song with a particular person and tag an emotion to it. I will however, use the song's original emotional content as a substitute of my own or as a way of feeling a certain emotion without having to actually experience it.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When someone likes music a lot, he just likes it a lot, it's not a crutch of any kind and it doesn't make him a baby. Come on, you don't even know what it is to like music. Have you even asked your roommate how it feels to like music?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like music.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To like music A LOT, as in listening to it all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

music is like sunshine <3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by detail
    No. I have very sensative hearing.

I hear things most people don't, and I'd rather not loose that ability.

My room mate has it lound enough to hear it down the hall (I can at least), and that's how he studies.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like to listen to my favorite songs "at the apporpriate volume", but not all the songs all the time. It simply is not me, it's not .

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I like to actually listen usually when I listen to music.
    I don't think most people do this, Diana. I do - I cannot "not listen", so that is why I am so sensitive to it. This is also why I have better hearing than most people it seems.... they are so used to tuning out sounds intentionally....

When music is on and I am 'not listening to it', it is a distraction, especially if it is cheesy music, or clashing with my mood or goal.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    I don't think most people do this, Diana. I do - I cannot "not listen", so that is why I am so sensitive to it. This is also why I have better hearing than most people it seems.... they are so used to tuning out sounds intentionally....

When music is on and I am 'not listening to it', it is a distraction, especially if it is cheesy music, or clashing with my mood or goal.
    agree... I'm the same. When I listen to music, I listen to it... it's a solitary, in my own world, sort of thing. Otherwise it just bugs me. My ex used to have to have music playing all the time and it absolutely drove me batshit crazy (and she listened to the cheesiest of the cheesy pop and country love songs )

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat

When I listen to music, I listen to it... it's a solitary, in my own world, sort of thing.
    At least, myersians tend to say that.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my relationship to music. hm well music is a touchy subject to me because it means a lot. I sort of think everything a person says is potentially bullshit except music. I believe self expression through music can never be bullshit. Is that an Fe crutch you are talking about, UDP? I sort of understand what you mean about listening to all of your music all the time as not being Ti but I feel like that it does not necessarily have to be seeking Fe. I feel it might be an aversion to Se.

Since it is such a touchy subject, I don't listen to it all the time, but I tend to want to associate with people who do listen to it all the time, a lot.

EDIT: and now that i think about it when im listening to music i like i am really not thinking about anything feeling related i'm just like, "this is cool, wow .. this is just so awesome.. oh I never heard that drum part before, it's different from the rest of the song" hahaha

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat

agree... I'm the same. When I listen to music, I listen to it... it's a solitary, in my own world, sort of thing.
    Me too. I still have trouble listening to music in public, or with other people at all.

It's good for working to sometimes, but in those moments of deep concentration, the music has to go.

As for the volume, it has increased over the years, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by detail
    No. I have very sensative hearing.

I hear things most people don't, and I'd rather not loose that ability.

My room mate has it lound enough to hear it down the hall (I can at least), and that's how he studies.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like to listen to my favorite songs "at the apporpriate volume", but not all the songs all the time. It simply is not me, it's not .

Ok, did you ask him if it was an emotionnal crutch?

Is he really a baby, ask him?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obviously no Ti person would ever do such a thing. clearly listening to music is a field which shares so significant a relation with type that Ti simply precludes such an occurrence from ever coming to pass.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ absolutely

And beside that, if you listened to all your music loudly, it would show no priority. Not every song you hear is going to be the same way - not every song can be your favorite. Like marriage... if everyone is your wife, what's the point of getting married?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are incredibly naive.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You still haven't figured out when I am serious or not.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

evidently not.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm... i like music. i like to have music in the background when i'm doing something like busywork. music in the car, and music on my earphones at work, except when i'm doing something tricky or complex, in which case i prefer silence. in these instances, i don't have any particular song i prefer; in fact i prefer my playlist to be random.

however, if you mean music as in song by song appreciation, that's different. there are some songs that i feel particularly moved by. i don't tend to actually look for them and play them at any specific times, but at this level and in this context, music is special to me.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to listen to music as I'm drawing, and working. There are certain songs that are special to me, and I can connect to certain situations in my life. I also get in a mode where I can connect everything that's going on to a song that I know, and I inwardly burst into song.

When I'm all along, I sing a lot. Music is also one of the several things that can relax me when I'm having anxiety. When there's a song that I like playing in a store, I get lost in the music.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can't listen to music when I'm working, studying, or doing any kind of task where I can't afford to be distracted.

In general, music has a healing power for me equal or greater than say comedy or a good drive but less than quality social interaction.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t say I listen to it “a lot.” I occasionally have an urge to listen to it while reading or studying, but it’s too distracting. Generally I wouldn’t rather listen to music than do those things, so I tend only to listen to music when I’m otherwise preoccupied, for instance driving.

Re. Fe in music, I’ve never thought about it, but I tend to prefer upbeat, or “energetic”, music. I wonder if it’s related.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    I like to listen to music as I'm drawing, and working. There are certain songs that are special to me, and I can connect to certain situations in my life. I also get in a mode where I can connect everything that's going on to a song that I know, and I inwardly burst into song.

When I'm all along, I sing a lot. Music is also one of the several things that can relax me when I'm having anxiety. When there's a song that I like playing in a store, I get lost in the music.
    That last thing happens to me too, and I start developing fantasies in my head. Today I transported to Miami while at the gas station where some reggae song was playing, a helicopter was flying overhead and there were palm trees in the distance. Often the fantasies revolve more around romance and people though, lol.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenfaerie View Post
    That last thing happens to me too, and I start developing fantasies in my head. Today I transported to Miami while at the gas station where some reggae song was playing, a helicopter was flying overhead and there were palm trees in the distance. Often the fantasies revolve more around romance and people though, lol.
    I can relate to that, and the fantasies/associations as of recently have been related to relationships/romance too. Or a very special person in my life. x3 If not romantic, mine revolve around fictional characters, how the song may fit them, or my own original characters.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    I can relate to that, and the fantasies/associations as of recently have been related to relationships/romance too. Or a very special person in my life. x3 If not romantic, mine revolve around fictional characters, how the song may fit them, or my own original characters.
    Mine often revolve around me somehow lol and my own situations/connections with people. Some sx shit probably.

There is a building across from my work that keeps making me fantasize. It reminds me of the 80's and has a very retro vibe. It makes me want to be in that time period and in my own movie, in my own drama, story and neat setting.